PDA

View Full Version : Britons Want Homer Simpson as U.S. President

SoCalChelle
10-25-2004, 01:46 PM
Britons Want Homer Simpson as U.S. President

LONDON - Doughnut-chomping, beer-guzzling Homer Simpson may not be the model father but he has won the hearts of British TV fans who want the nuclear power plant worker to be the next U.S. president.

Former president George Bush notoriously said American families should be "closer to the Waltons than the Simpsons" but Homer was overwhelming favorite in a Radio Times magazine poll on which U.S. TV character should take over at the White House.

As Americans ponder tax and security pledges from President Bush and Democratic rival John Kerry ahead of the November 2 poll, television fans have been considering Homer slogans such as "No big government, just big waist sizes."

In a manifesto compiled for the magazine by The Simpsons' writing staff, the bumbling animated TV hero also pledges: "I promise there will be fewer nuclear disasters with me as your mayor than with me as your nuclear safety inspector."

Homer got 24 percent of the vote in the poll of more than 2,000 readers. Second place went to the more obvious choice of Josiah Bartlet, the president played by Martin Sheen in "The West Wing."

Pompous but eloquent radio psychiatrist Dr. Frasier Crane was third followed by Sergeant Bilko from "The Phil Silvers Show." Gil Grissom from "CSI: Crime Scene Investigation" was fifth with 10 percent of the vote. Other favorites were Jack Bauer from "24," "The Cosby Show's" Dr. Cliff Huxtable, Phoebe Buffay from "Friends" and "The Sporanos'" Tony Soprano.

Nickdfresh
10-25-2004, 02:23 PM
I thought our current President has already made a lot of "DOOOOEEEEE" Homers.

FORD
10-25-2004, 02:27 PM
Homer's already smarter than Junior. And he kicked Poppy's ass a few years back, and ran his ass out of Springfield.

Sure I'd vote for him. As long as Sideshow Bob isn't his VP ;)

McCarrens
10-25-2004, 02:39 PM
Homer's a hardcore right-winger. That should be obvious to anyone who has ever seen the show.

FORD
10-25-2004, 02:44 PM
Nah, he's more of a libertarian.

McCarrens
10-25-2004, 02:45 PM
No, he's not. I'm not going to go through all the reasons he is a right-winger, other than to state he basically is the cornerstone of the Fox Network of channels.

bueno bob
10-25-2004, 04:30 PM
"mmmmm....president...."

FORD
10-25-2004, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by McCarrens
No, he's not. I'm not going to go through all the reasons he is a right-winger, other than to state he basically is the cornerstone of the Fox Network of channels.

I distinctly remember the episode where they had the meeting of the Springfield Republican Party. All the likely choices were there. Burns (representing the rich). Flanders (representing the religious reich) Rainier Wolfcastle (representing right wing celebrities) Sideshow Bob (representing right wing criminals) Smithers (Log Cabin Republicans) and Satan (himself)

Homer wasn't invited.

SoCalChelle
10-25-2004, 04:47 PM
LMAO! I'm glad you guys are having fun with this :D

McCarrens
10-25-2004, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by FORD
I distinctly remember the episode where they had the meeting of the Springfield Republican Party. All the likely choices were there. Burns (representing the rich). Flanders (representing the religious reich) Rainier Wolfcastle (representing right wing celebrities) Sideshow Bob (representing right wing criminals) Smithers (Log Cabin Republicans) and Satan (himself)

Homer wasn't invited.

I don't think I've seen that one. It sounds good. I was basing my opinion on the fact that the show and the family have garnere much support from one of the Christian mags -- I'm not religious so I forgot which one.

Seshmeister
10-25-2004, 07:46 PM
You have christian magazines over there?

"Vote for your favoutite commandment in our readers poll"

"Big brother girl says she's meek"

Jesus fucking Christ what next?

FORD
10-25-2004, 07:52 PM
It gets worse, Sesh. Some of the "Christian" bookstores now (READ: Pat Robertson flock) even have a version of the Bible designed to read like a teen fan magazine. I don't remember what it's called "Jesus Beat" maybe?

But they put Bible stories somehow into the format that would have you believing the 12 Apostles were a boyband or something.

"Who do you think is cuter? James or John"

" Oh I don't know... but not that Matthew guy! Gross he looks like an IRS agent or something!!!"

ELVIS
10-25-2004, 07:54 PM
You're making that up FORD...

And Sesh, why do you insist that there is no God ??

FORD
10-25-2004, 07:56 PM
http://www.salon.com/mwt/feature/2003/10/09/revolve/story.jpg
Jesus is my crush
A popular new Bible for teen girls dresses up the New Testament to look and read exactly like a fashion magazine.

- - - - - - - - - - - -
By Carlene Bauer

printe-mail

Oct. 9, 2003 | What would Jesus do about clogged pores? It's a topic on which the Bible is mute. Unless the Bible being consulted is Revolve, which dresses up the New Testament to look and read exactly like a teen magazine -- complete with cover lines that promise much more than the Good News inside. "Guys Speak Out on Tons of Important Issues," declares one, hinting that the guys holding forth aren't Matthew, Mark, Luke and John. Others offer "100+ Ways to Apply Your Faith" and "Beauty Secrets You've Never Heard Before!"

That's for sure. "As you apply your sunscreen," one reads, "use that time to talk to God. Tell him how grateful you are for how he made you. Soon, you'll be so used to talking to him, it might become as regular and intimate as shrinking your pores." And what exactly are those aforementioned guys speaking out on? Comportment. They like girls who dress conservatively, wear as little makeup as possible, and don't overreact if they don't notice a new haircut. Thinking of asking a guy out? Revolve girls don't. "Sorry," they're told. "God made guys to be the leaders. That means that they lead in relationships. They tell you they like you." If you need distraction from that total bummer, there are charts ranking the "top ten random things" you can do to make a difference in your community or bond with your dad. Or calendar pages that designate celebrity birthdays as occasions to Pray for a Person of Influence. (Kelly Osbourne and Anna Nicole Smith, junior varsity prayer warriors have got your back.) As well as quizzes that pose such questions as "Are You Crushing Too Hard?" and "Are You a Good Daughter?"

Revolve was published in July after Thomas Nelson, the largest English-language Christian publisher, noticed that, on one of the company's Web sites, teens were complaining that the Bible was too intimidating. Knowing that teen girls were hooked on magazines such as Teen People, CosmoGirl and Seventeen, the publisher decided to wrap an accessible translation of the New Testament in the trappings of an irresistible medium. "Reading the Bible is not as scary as it seems," Revolve readers are assured. "The Bible is God's love letter to us and an instruction manual and answer book for life, so we should read it with the same passion we'd have when we read a letter from our biggest crush." The $14.99 love letter is doing big business: Since Revolve hit shelves this summer, it's almost sold out of its initial print run of 40,000, and Thomas Nelson is about to print 110,000 more. The company is planning to ship new editions of Revolve every 12 to 18 months to update celebrity names and information on featured charities. A version for teen boys -- as yet untitled -- is also in the works.

link (http://www.salon.com/mwt/feature/2003/10/09/revolve/index_np.html)

ELVIS
10-25-2004, 08:02 PM
Hahahaha...:D

lucky wilbury
10-25-2004, 08:28 PM
homer can't win. he can't even run. he's a canuck