PDA

View Full Version : The Case Against Bush

ODShowtime
10-25-2004, 02:07 PM
THE CASE AGAINST BUSH

Ten Reasons America Needs a Change

Wed Oct 20, 6:42 PM ET Op/Ed - Ted Rall

PORTLAND--George W. Bush has been a busy boy these past four years. Because his Administration's policies are so radical and his attempts to change our country so far-reaching, it is sometimes difficult to remember them all. Here's a summary of why Bush and his gang of bloodthirsty corporate goons must go; voters may take them along to the polls to help them cast their ballots.

1. He stole the 2000 election. Voting to "reelect" an illegitimate commander-in-chief who seized power by judicial coup d'état is a tacit endorsement of how he got into the White House in the first place. How the U.S. Supreme Court ruled in Bush v. Gore is irrelevant. As a federal court, the five runaway Supreme Court justices had no right to agree to hear the case. Under our system of government, elections--and election disputes--fall under state jurisdiction. Their decision to take the case, the way they fixed the outcome in Bush's favor, and Bush's willingness to assume the presidency extraconstitutionally are outrages that no patriotic American, even if they agree with his policies, can forgive.

Not much to say on this one.

2. He politicized 9/11. During the early days after the attacks on New York and Washington, a stunned nation came together to mourn, and to assess the motivations of the 19 men who despised us so much they were willing to commit suicide as mass murderers to drive home the point. Rather than channel our newfound solidarity into positive initiatives, however, Bush used 9/11 to push for the USA Patriot Act, fast-track signing authority on free trade, tax cuts for the wealthy, lax regulations for polluters and a multitude of items from the partisan Republican Party wish list. He portrayed Democrats and others who disagreed with him as un-American traitors.

Subjective, but so much of gw's radical agenda would have been laughed at prior to 9-11. Very few of his actions were rational, useful responses to the events of 9-11.

3. He let the terrorists get away while giving them a payraise. The 9/11 hijackers were Egyptians and Saudis recruited by an Egyptian group, Islamic Jihad, with funding from Saudi Arabia and Pakistan, some of whom received training at camps which were mostly in Pakistan, all of which were funded by Pakistani secret intelligence. Osama bin Laden, who may have funded all or part of the operation via Al Qaeda, was in Pakistan on 9/11. So who does Bush go after? Afghanistan, at best a back lot of Pakistani-backed Islamists and Iraq--which had nothing to do with 9/11. And what does he do about our real enemies in Pakistan, Egypt and Saudi Arabia? He sells them more weapons. Egypt becomes the second largest recipient of U.S. foreign aid after Israel, collecting over $2 billion annually. Pakistan, ruled by a pro-Taliban general who jailed and tortured his democratically elected predecessor, is encouraged to develop its nascent nuclear capabilities. The 3,000 victims of 9/11 remain unavenged--and the stage is set for future attacks.

:rolleyes:

4. He murdered nearly 100,000 people. The war in Afghanistan killed at least 10,000 civilians and 20,000 Afghan soldiers (of which 10,000 were POWs allegedly massacred by Northern Alliance soldiers as U.S. Special Forces troops supervised the slaughter.) As of three weeks after the fall of Baghdad, General Tommy Franks estimated Iraqi dead at 30,000 civilians and 30,000 Iraqi soldiers, men who were fighting to defend their country from a hostile invasion army. At least 10,000 more civilians and 5,000 Iraqi resistance soldiers have died since then. Neither Afghanistan nor Iraq have anything to do with the war on terrorism, which has yet to start. Both wars were waged to expand American military and economic hegemony and Dick Cheney's policy of "total energy dominance" over oil and natural gas resources. The world would be safer if Charles Manson, a mere amateur killer by comparison, were released and Bush was sitting in prison.

"War's messy."

5. He bankrupted the treasury. When Bush took the oath of office in January 2001, the U.S. Congressional Budget Office projected a surplus of $5 trillion over the next ten years. Now, after two expensive wars of aggression and two series of extravagant tax cuts for the ultrarich--including the elimination of inheritance taxes on multimillionaires' estates--the federal budget is facing a $5 trillion shortfall. That's a $10 trillion net deficit--ten times more than the Reagan deficit that took Clinton his entire tenure to pay off--for giveaways to Bush-connected defense contractors like Halliburton and a fraction of one percent of wealthy individuals. Most Americans will get nothing out of this but the bill which, if history serves a guide, won't be repaid until our children are dead. Goodbye national healthcare, sayonara help with college tuition. Bush has stolen our future.

Hello? Any fiscal conservatives out there?

6. He threw thousands of innocent people into concentration camps. Drawing from another of fascism's greatest hits, Bush used his fictional war on terrorism as a lame pretext to throw thousands of Muslims and Arabs into a new gulag archipelago spanning the globe from secret CIA-run prisons in Afghanistan and Iraq--including the infamous Abu Ghraib--to INS detention centers in Brooklyn to the naval base at Guantánamo Bay, Cuba. Detainees caught in battle were denied their Geneva Convention rights as POWs, tortured and even murdered. Illegal immigrants who should have been deported were jailed indefinitely without access to attorneys, or visits from family. In the ultimate Orwellian twist, they were turned into "unpersons"; even their names were withheld from the media. Any president who endorses such atrocities, as Bush has repeatedly done in speeches, is against everything that America purports to stands for. Bush has even signed a secret directive authorizing himself with the right to assassinate anyone, anywhere--including American citizens--as "enemy combatants."

This is only going to get worse if he's re-elected. If you want to go down this path fine, you are a traitorous piece of shit and a moron. Think of me when the electrodes are on your ballsack.

7. We are more feared than Al Qaeda. Bush's radical new policy of "preemption"--a self-ascribed right to invade other countries based on a presumed hunch--has terrorized then international community. Even though they have never threatened us, nations like Iran and Syria wonder whether or not Bush will invade them next--and are racing to develop nuclear weapons to protect themselves from the U.S. threat. Our traditional allies, who still want to engage themselves with the rest of the world, have been forced to distance themselves from our bull-in-a-china-shop foreign policy. We, not Islamist terrorists, are the world's most feared power. We are feared, which is why we are hated. Because we are hated, we are in greater danger.

If I was Syria or Iran's leaders, I'd be trying to acquire nucs! Look at North Korea. We've made it perfectly clear that if you have nuclear weapons, you get a pass.

8. Bush has done nothing to improve the economy. At one of the presidential debates, Bush was asked what he would tell someone who had lost their job to outsourcing overseas. He answered that the unemployed had received their $300 tax cuts, and that within five years his education policies would start to help children. The truth is, Bush did nothing to jumpstart the weak post-dot-com economy he inherited in 2000. Like most Republicans, he favors high unemployment as a way to keep labor week and salaries cheap. A Bush victory would ensure more of the same--fewer jobs, lower salaries, reduced unemployment benefits. A president can do a lot to stimulate the economy: jobs programs funded by the government, tax cuts for the working class. But Bush won't act because it would run counter to his ideological beliefs.

If you think the economy has improved since gw took office, you are either lucky or lying or stupid. Look at the gas prices. The huge increases are not entirely gw&friend's fault, but he helped and they impact almost every other product we buy. And they're all going up in price.

9. Bush will appoint the next Supreme Court justice. Whether they're values issues like abortion or gay marriage, or the next election dispute, the Supreme Court is balanced on the razor's edge between reason and right-wing fascism. Sandra Day O'Connor and William Rehnquist, who originally intended to step down during the last four years but evidently decided not to do so because of Bush's lunacy, are over 80 years old. They may not last another four years. We can't let Bush have the chance to appoint their successors.

Some people are actually looking forward to this. :rolleyes: I am terrified.

10. We deserve a president who can speak English and doesn't look like a chimpanzee. John Kerry is a far from ideal prospect but he's a huge leap forward from an evolutionary standpoint.

That one's for you Mccarren!

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=127&ncid=748&e=1&u=/ucru/20041020/cm_ucru/thecaseagainstbush

Carmine
10-25-2004, 02:21 PM
...and

11. america has lost 1.7 million private sector jobs since Bush took office

12. the number of African Americans in poverty rose by 650,000 between 01 and 03

13. 45 million people have no health insurance-- up by 13% since Bush took office

14. Bush used "national security" to take away the collective bargaining rights of 230,000 federal workers in various government agancies

15. Bush opposes equal pay legislation including S.76 and S.841, senate bills that John Kerry co-sponsored.

16. President Bushs level of on after school programs has denied 1.32 million kids after school care, such as latchkey

17. Bush cut 270 million from the federal Pell Grant program costing 840,000 kids elegibility for that grant to pay for college costs.

18. Bush supported and signed a medicare prescription drug bill that created a huge gap in coverage that will cost senior citizens thousands of dollars per year and forbids Medicare from negotiating lower drug prices.

19. opposes the "employee free choice act" which allows workers to decide if they want to join a Union.

20. signed legislation that took away the right to overtime pay for many workers in this country.

FORD
10-25-2004, 02:43 PM
Nice additions, Big Ragoo!

McCarrens
10-25-2004, 02:44 PM
Was this thread targeted directly at me?

Carmine
10-25-2004, 02:44 PM
thank you, Ford!

Carmine
10-25-2004, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by McCarrens

Dont Know, but I just hooked you up with vote #10.

:cool:

ODShowtime
10-25-2004, 02:47 PM
Thank you Carmine. We could go all day I guess.

Carmine
10-25-2004, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by ODShowtime
Thank you Carmine. We could go all day I guess.

No problem, I just cant see how anyone could still vote for Bush. It is amazing to me!

"VOTE THE SON OF A BUSH OUT!"

ODShowtime
10-25-2004, 03:02 PM

No, I just dedicated reason #10 to you because it made me think of you.

McCarrens
10-25-2004, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by ODShowtime
No, I just dedicated reason #10 to you because it made me think of you.

I must be working to hard, I still don't get what you're saying...

jhale667
10-25-2004, 04:54 PM
Great posts, OD and Big Ragoo...5 stars for both of you! It's like Janene Grafalo (sic) said "At this point, a vote for Bush is indicative of a CHARACTER FLAW on your part."

ODShowtime
10-25-2004, 04:58 PM
Let's all vote for each other! ANYONE BUT BUSH!!!!

McCarrens
10-25-2004, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by jhale667
Great posts, OD and Big Ragoo...5 stars for both of you! It's like Janene Grafalo (sic) said "At this point, a vote for Bush is indicative of a CHARACTER FLAW on your part."

Why are you letting her tell you who to vote for?

jhale667
10-25-2004, 05:20 PM
Why are you letting her tell you who to vote for?

I'm not, dumbass...I just think she summed it all up.

Angel
10-25-2004, 06:43 PM

Whats the matter, are you becoming a paranoid little mental patient?