PDA

View Full Version : Time to buy a Les Paul - Which one?

sambo
10-25-2004, 10:47 PM
Hey guys...

I have been saving my pennies and have been looking / trying out various Les Pauls for the past 6 months and am now at the point where I would like to buy one.. trouble is there are almost as many Les Pauls as there are arseholes in the world. :)

I have decided I am getting a LP Standard with a 60's profile neck (thin)... at least that much I know.. no LP Custom or Classic.

Now I have heard good things about the reissues from 2002 onwards, if I want to go new, but that is about $3600 AUD and that seems a little overpriced - especially from a pimply faced kid in our local music store.

Second hand LP Standards are around... e.g. I have found a 1976 Tobacco Sunburst for $2100 AUD.. or a 2002 Heritage Sunburst for $2800 AUD.

I know very little about the older Les Pauls... and you only really know when you actually pick it up and play it anyway. I just want to do as much homework as I can to get the best value for my money.

Any thoughts on best value LPs or even LPs I should steer clear from?...

Cheers!

Matt White
10-26-2004, 01:32 AM
Sambo, my personal favorite is the Gary Moore Model Les Paul. Decent price (See if can find a used one), and killer tone. Very cool guitar. I have no idea what their going for now. Good Luck.

sambo
10-26-2004, 01:47 AM
Matt

Cheers mate... I have seen a couple on Ebay... love that tone. The Zebra pickup is similar in spec to the EVH pickup I believe..

NOS in Australia $4299 AUD...

Coyote
10-26-2004, 03:12 AM
Try a Tokai Love Rock.

Review: http://www.harmony-central.com/Guitar/Data4/Tokai/Love-Rock-Korean-01.html

sambo
10-26-2004, 03:17 AM
Originally posted by Coyote
Try a Tokai Love Rock.

Review: http://www.harmony-central.com/Guitar/Data4/Tokai/Love-Rock-Korean-01.html

Interesting reviews... hardly a bad word. I'll see where they distribute in Australia, could end up getting a better guitar for much less $$$.

Many thanks Coyote... 5 stars mate.

Coyote
10-26-2004, 03:18 AM
Right back at you. :)

ODShowtime
10-27-2004, 01:29 PM
I just got a schecter diamond series. It looks more like a strat than a paul, but is has flame maple top, mohagany body, binding, fucking awesome mother o' pearl inlays on the neck, neck through body+string through body design (AMAZING SUSTAINE!) and comes with two custom dimarzio (or Seymor Duncan, I forget which) pick-ups. It has more tonal variety than a Paul IMO.

It costs less than $1000. I was a broke-ass Les Paul snob for awhile, and if I had the cash I would be a Led Paul owner most likely. But this guitar is a serious value. I don't have any complaints. Since you appear to be an informed buyer, I'd suggest you check it out... if they even have them in Australia.

That said, I know many people will accept nothing less than a Paul and it that's you, happy hunting!

sambo
10-27-2004, 07:01 PM
Yeah they have Schecters in Australia, and they have had some good write ups in some of the guitar mags I have read.

I saw a couple in our local music store and they look pretty solid and they seem to have taken some care in the overall presentation/finish of the instrument.

Might go play a few ... cheers! Vote for you...

Nitro Express
10-30-2004, 11:35 PM
Spend the extra money and get a real Les Paul. Sure you can get good guitars for less money but it's nice to have the real thing. My first real guitar was a early 70's Les Paul Custom. I traded it for a Kramer in the mid 80's and regretted doing so ever since.

The Les Paul is still my favorite guitar, if I had only one guitar it would be a Les Paul standard.

I think Gibsons quality control right now is quite good. Gibson starts to drop the ball every now and then, but I think they are making good guitars at the moment. To be honest, I like the new Les Paul Standards right from the factory pickups and all. I'm not a big fan of the 60's style neck. I like the new necks. Treat the guitar well and your greatgrand kids will be playing the thing. You want a case because those Gibson headstocks pop off rather easy if the guitar falls. A Les Paul isn't a Strat where you can kick the thing around and not break anything.

Save up and get the real thing, sure you might get a great and even more ergonamic guitar for less but even if you get another guitar, you are still going to be lusting for a real Les Paul. Buy the real deal, it will become a cherished friend you will never want to part with.

LickMyCream
10-30-2004, 11:41 PM
Those burstbuckers in the Gary Moore model were actually in the Tak Matsumoto Les Paul first. Gibson just didn't sell that model in the U.S. till like last year.

sambo
11-15-2004, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by Nitro Express
Spend the extra money and get a real Les Paul. Sure you can get good guitars for less money but it's nice to have the real thing. My first real guitar was a early 70's Les Paul Custom. I traded it for a Kramer in the mid 80's and regretted doing so ever since.

The Les Paul is still my favorite guitar, if I had only one guitar it would be a Les Paul standard.

I think Gibsons quality control right now is quite good. Gibson starts to drop the ball every now and then, but I think they are making good guitars at the moment. To be honest, I like the new Les Paul Standards right from the factory pickups and all. I'm not a big fan of the 60's style neck. I like the new necks. Treat the guitar well and your greatgrand kids will be playing the thing. You want a case because those Gibson headstocks pop off rather easy if the guitar falls. A Les Paul isn't a Strat where you can kick the thing around and not break anything.

Save up and get the real thing, sure you might get a great and even more ergonamic guitar for less but even if you get another guitar, you are still going to be lusting for a real Les Paul. Buy the real deal, it will become a cherished friend you will never want to part with.

Well, I've done it... I took the leap.

2002 LP Standard Heritage Cherry Sunburst. Bought used from a guy who has had it since new. Played a total of 6 times, not a mark on it. Still has all tags, documentation and even the sticker on the pickguard. He sold it for less than 50% rrp (just wanted a quick sale - go figure!)

Played it last week through his JCM800 half stack and, well, what a fckn guitar - holy shit.

Played it through my 100W Plexi last night and pissed the neighbours off to no end. Sustain for days, hit a note, went to the pub, had two beers came back and it was still ringing!! LOL!

Here is a photo, although only taken with a camera phone... Thanks to all who convinced me that a LP Standard was the way to go. I'm fckn wrapped !! Cheers!

jackassrock
11-16-2004, 11:48 AM
good choice.

If you're looking for a backup try a Tele with a Duncan Hotrail in the bridge position.

I know you're thinking no way but it's true
It has a similar feel as far as the neck is concerned. It costs a fraction of what a LP does and all the parts are replaceable. Broken necks are no problem. Just bolt on a new one. Oh yes, and the Hotrail kills in a tele. Way different sound than a strat. It's very Les Paul like.

I was suprised too when I first tried one. You know I had a tele and never used it cause of it's thin tone, but all that's changed. This combo just freakin rocks.

sambo
11-16-2004, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by jackassrock
good choice.

If you're looking for a backup try a Tele with a Duncan Hotrail in the bridge position.

It has a similar feel as far as the neck is concerned. It costs a fraction of what a LP does and all the parts are replaceable. Broken necks are no problem. Just bolt on a new one. Oh yes, and the Hotrail kills in a tele. Way different sound than a strat. It's very Les Paul like.

I was suprised too when I first tried one. You know I had a tele and never used it cause of it's thin tone, but all that's changed. This combo just freakin rocks.

I actually have a Mexican Tele that may just do the trick, although I kinda like the tone it has with stock pickups funnily enough and have gigged with it many times. I have a 1988 Floyd Rose Strat that has a Dimarzio in the bridge which is close to a Paul (with a bit of tweaking) although a little too hot.

I am in the process of rebuilding a Kramer Baretta (yep stripes and all)and have bought a Custom Shop Duncan EVH trembucker to put in the bridge. That has similar specs to a Les Paul pickup (around 9.0k) so I'll see how I go, although I like the idea of beefing up my Tele. :D

Cheers!

sambo
11-16-2004, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by jackassrock
good choice.

I actually have a Mexican Tele that may just do the trick, although I kinda like the tone it has with stock pickups funnily enough and have gigged with it many times. I have a 1988 Floyd Rose Strat that has a Dimarzio in the bridge which is gets me a warmer sound, although not too close to a Paul - a little too hot.

I am in the process of rebuilding a Kramer Baretta (yep stripes and all)and have bought a Custom Shop Duncan EVH trembucker to put in the bridge. That has similar specs to a Les Paul pickup (around 9.0k) so I'll see how I go, although I like the idea of beefing up my Tele. :D

Cheers!

Sarge's Little Helper
11-16-2004, 05:39 PM
I actually have a Mexican Tele that may just do the trick, although I kinda like the tone it has with stock pickups funnily enough and have gigged with it many times. I have a 1988 Floyd Rose Strat that has a Dimarzio in the bridge which is gets me a warmer sound, although not too close to a Paul - a little too hot.

Cheers!

<br />
<b>Warning</b>: mysql_connect(): Too many connections in <b>/home/rotharmy/public_html/forums/alice/faqbot/src/admin/dbprefs.php</b> on line <b>52</b><br />
<br />
<b>Warning</b>: mysql_query(): Too many connections in <b>/home/rotharmy/public_html/forums/alice/faqbot/src/util.php</b> on line <b>302</b><br />
<br />
<b>Warning</b>: mysql_query(): A link to the server could not be established in <b>/home/rotharmy/public_html/forums/alice/faqbot/src/util.php</b> on line <b>302</b><br />
<br />
<b>Warning</b>: mysql_query(): Too many connections in <b>/home/rotharmy/public_html/forums/alice/faqbot/src/util.php</b> on line <b>318</b><br />
<br />
<b>Warning</b>: mysql_query(): A link to the server could not be established in <b>/home/rotharmy/public_html/forums/alice/faqbot/src/util.php</b> on line <b>318</b><br />
<br />
<b>Warning</b>: mysql_query(): Too many connections in <b>/home/rotharmy/public_html/forums/alice/faqbot/src/util.php</b> on line <b>187</b><br />
<br />
<b>Warning</b>: mysql_query(): A link to the server could not be established in <b>/home/rotharmy/public_html/forums/alice/faqbot/src/util.php</b> on line <b>187</b><br />
<br />
<b>Warning</b>: mysql_query(): Too many connections in <b>/home/rotharmy/public_html/forums/alice/faqbot/src/util.php</b> on line <b>235</b><br />
<br />
<b>Warning</b>: mysql_query(): A link to the server could not be established in <b>/home/rotharmy/public_html/forums/alice/faqbot/src/util.php</b> on line <b>235</b><br />
<br />
<b>Warning</b>: mysql_query(): Too many connections in <b>/home/rotharmy/public_html/forums/alice/faqbot/src/graphnew.php</b> on line <b>298</b><br />
<br />
<b>Warning</b>: mysql_query(): A link to the server could not be established in <b>/home/rotharmy/public_html/forums/alice/faqbot/src/graphnew.php</b> on line <b>298</b><br />