PDA

View Full Version : Yasser Arafat loses consciousness

Ally_Kat
10-28-2004, 12:40 AM
Yasser Arafat loses consciousness: Israeli public radio

Wed Oct 27, 5:14 PM ET

JERUSALEM (AFP) - Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat, 75, has lost consciousness, Israeli public radio reported, quoting Palestinian sources.

He lost consciousness "several hours ago", it said.

Arafat's senior adviser Nabil Abu Rudeina, meanwhile, confirmed that a team of doctors was examining the veteran Palestinian leader.

"A team of Tunisian and Palestinian doctors is examining the president," Abu Rudeina said in a statement read out to journalists in front of Arafat's headquarters in the West Bank town of Ramallah.

He said Arafat "needs more rest because of his fatigue" and added that Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak and Jordan's King Abdullah II had offered to send doctors.

A source close to the Palestinian Authority said earlier that Mahmoud Abbas, the PLO's No 2, and premier Ahmed Qorei were also at the bedside of Arafat, 75, who officially has been suffering from a severe bout of flu.

FORD
10-28-2004, 12:46 AM
Lost Consciousness? Doesn't sound like a very complete medical analysis.

I'm assiming this means he's in some sort of coma. Not sounding like the flu to me. Guess Mossad got to him.

Guess now someone needs to take care of Sharon.

Junior's gone after January 20.

Progress towards peace might soon be possible after all.

JCOOK
10-28-2004, 01:01 AM
CNN also reports ole Yasser can't stop throwing up.... I guess the bodies of those Israeli children finally got indegestibale.... Ford

Ally_Kat
10-28-2004, 01:07 AM
Ailing Arafat Still in Serious Condition

By MOHAMMED DARAGHMEH, Associated Press Writer

RAMALLAH, West Bank - An ailing Yasser Arafat collapsed Wednesday night, was unconscious for about 10 minutes and remained in serious condition. A team of Jordanian doctors was urgently summoned to treat the ailing Palestinian leader, whose wife headed to her husband's side from Paris.

An official in Arafat's office said the Palestinian leader had created a special committee of three senior officials, including Prime Minister Ahmed Qureia, to run Palestinian affairs during the 75-year-old leader's continuing illness.

Other Palestinian officials, including his spokesman Nabil Abu Rdeneh, denied a temporary leadership group was formed.

The Palestinian leader was eating soup during a meeting with Qureia, former Prime Minister Mahmoud Abbas, and another official between 8 p.m. and 9 p.m. (2 p.m. or 3 p.m. EDT) when he vomited, a bodyguard said.

Arafat was taken quickly to the clinic inside his Ramallah compound, where he collapsed and was unconscious for about 10 minutes, the guard said.

Palestinian officials soon descended on the sandbagged, partially demolished compound where Arafat has been confined for 2 1/2 years. The officials milled about the courtyard, waiting for news outside Arafat's three-story headquarters that was bathed in spotlights.

Israeli security officials said Arafat's wife, Suha, who lives in France with their young daughter, was expected to arrive Thursday, as were the Jordanian doctors who were called to treat Arafat.

Communications Minister Azzam Ahmed also said that Palestinian leaders had asked all the members of Arafat's Fatah (news - web sites) party living abroad to come to Ramallah.

"We are preparing ourselves for everything possible," he told the Al-Jazeera satellite television station.

Arafat has been known to be ill for two weeks, but reports about his ailment have varied widely.

Palestinian officials said he had the flu. Israeli officials speculated he might have stomach cancer, but two of his doctors said Wednesday a blood test and a biopsy of tissue from his digestive tract showed no evidence of cancer.

On Tuesday, a hospital official said Arafat was suffering from a large gallstone. The gallstone, while extremely painful, is not life-threatening and can be easily treated, the official told AP.

Arafat has shown symptoms of Parkinson's disease since the late 1990s.

An official in Arafat's office said the Palestinian leader had deputized Qureia, Abbas and Salim Zaanoun, head of the Palestinian National Council, to run the PLO and the Palestinian Authority during his illness.

But spokesman Abu Rdeneh said: "Nothing like that," when asked if Arafat had set up a temporary leadership.

White House spokesman Scott McClellan, traveling in Michigan with President Bush, said U.S. officials were monitoring the situation.

As Arafat's condition worsened Wednesday, a senior Palestinian official told The Associated Press that a decision to move Arafat from his compound to an outside hospital would be made purely on medical grounds, without considering politics. Israel had said Monday it would allow Arafat to leave the compound for the hospital and return afterward, something the Israelis previously had refused to guarantee during Arafat's confinement.

A senior official in Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon (news - web sites)'s office said the Palestinians had asked Israel to allow foreign doctors to come treat Arafat.

"The prime minister immediately instructed the security officials and others involved to facilitate the transfer and any medical equipment and facilities Arafat might need," the official said, adding that Israel would also allow Arafat to be transferred to any medical facility in the world.

Dr. Ashraf Kurdi, a Jordanian doctor who heads the team arriving Thursday, told AP that he had received an urgent summons but no details.

"I tried to get a medical report from them. I couldn't get anything," he said.

Arafat's health crisis highlights Palestinian unpreparedness for their leader's death, making a chaotic transition all but inevitable. Arafat refuses to groom a successor; rival security chiefs already have battled each other in the streets.

Qureia and Abbas both have been touted as possible political heirs to Arafat, though the Palestinian leader has bickered with each of them, blocking their attempts to limit his powers.

"It's only natural to expect that there would be either a power struggle or there would be a loss of cohesion," Palestinian legislator Hanan Ashrawi said.

Analysts said it could take years for a leader to emerge, hurting prospects for already stagnant attempts at peacemaking between Israel and the Palestinians. Nevertheless, Israel and the United States hold out hope a post-Arafat Middle East would be more conducive to peace because of what they see as Arafat's blind eye to terror and opposition to reform.

Polls show the second most popular Palestinian after Arafat is Marwan Barghouti, a leader of Fatah's young guard. But Barghouti is serving five consecutive life terms in an Israeli prison for involvement in terror attacks.

On paper, at least, a path of succession has been charted. The parliament speaker would replace Arafat as Palestinian Authority president for 60 days, until elections are held. However, current speaker Rauhi Fattouh is a bland backbencher uncertain to keep power during a turbulent transition period. Timely elections appear unlikely.

Arafat's other post, chief of the Palestine Liberation Organization, would be filled, at least temporarily, by Abbas.

During Arafat's long confinement in the compound, doctors have equipped two rooms with medical equipment, including X-ray, ultrasound machines and emergency resuscitation gear.

In tests this week, Arafat was in his pajamas and wore a blue wool hat, instead of his trademark black-and-white checkered headscarf, an official on the medical team said.

The medical official said Arafat continues to sleep in a small room, which has only one window and is furnished with a bed and a closet, even though a new, sunnier room has been refurbished for him on another floor.

From his small window, Arafat looks out on rubble and heaps of cars flattened in previous Israeli raids.

___

Associated Press writer Karin Laub contributed to this report from Jerusalem

JCOOK
10-28-2004, 01:40 AM
Can I have Yasser in my death pool. Goodbye you evil piece of shit, Hell has a special place for you fuckstick!

Angel
10-28-2004, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by JCOOK
CNN also reports ole Yasser can't stop throwing up.... I guess the bodies of those Israeli children finally got indegestibale.... Ford

Get FUCKED idiot!

Sgt Schultz
10-28-2004, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by JCOOK

Right on brutha! Hopefully Yasser dies a slow and painful death.

BigBadBrian
10-28-2004, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by Angel
Get FUCKED idiot!

Are you an Arafat apologist? He's a terrorist you know. :gulp:

FORD
10-28-2004, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by BigBadBrian
Are you a Sharon apologist? He's a terrorist you know. :gulp:

Angel
10-28-2004, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by BigBadBrian
Are you an Arafat apologist? He's a terrorist you know. :gulp:

Please tell me, when was his last terrorist act?? Yes, he terrorized at one time, but look where the hell it's gotten his people. Now if only we could find a way to rid the world of YOU & Dubya, we'll all be better off!

ODShowtime
10-28-2004, 02:55 PM
just fuckin die already

Mezro
10-28-2004, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by Ally_Kat
JERUSALEM (AFP) - Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat, 75, has lost consciousness, Israeli public radio reported, quoting Palestinian sources.

He lost consciousness "several hours ago", it said.

He lost consciousness several years ago.

Mezro...rule with an iron fist and die like a goldfish...

JCOOK
10-28-2004, 11:23 PM
Please tell me, when was his last terrorist act?? Yes, he terrorized at one time, but look where the hell it's gotten his people. Now if only we could find a way to rid the world of YOU & Dubya, we'll all be better off!

His last terrorist act will be the last breath the fucking BABY KILLER TAKES! FUCK YOU IDIOT!:p

Flash Bastard
10-28-2004, 11:59 PM
Is he dead yet? Will someone call me when he is?

Thanks.

Angel
10-29-2004, 12:18 PM
You'll know when he's dead because the shit will hit the fan over there. Every militant who has held back out of respect for Yasser will no longer have anything holding them back and the reaction will be messy! :(

Switch84
10-29-2004, 03:41 PM
You'll know when he's dead because the shit will hit the fan over there. Every militant who has held back out of respect for Yasser will no longer have anything holding them back and the reaction will be messy! :(

:eek: Damn, I said the same thing in another Arafat thread! The Israelis need to get double, TRIPLE the manpower ready for the onslaught. Those fuckers are coming over the fence and they will kill every Jewish man, woman, and child they can get! Get prepared, Israel. It's going down.....

Angel
10-29-2004, 06:29 PM
Difference between you and I though, Switch. I'm a Palestinian supporter. :D

Viking
10-29-2004, 06:32 PM
Here's to hoping the Ol' Camel Breath lingers for a few weeks in indescribable agony, and dies in a fit of puking up his own guts.

Switch84
10-29-2004, 07:14 PM
Difference between you and I though, Switch. I'm a Palestinian supporter. :D

:confused: :( You'll lose a gazillion cool points with the Diamond One over that post......I think Davy Baby would probably say something really foul and rude to you over that, Angel grrlfriend!

LMMFAOBT

Angel
11-01-2004, 02:53 PM
Tell someone who gives a royal shit, Switch! :D

Switch84
11-01-2004, 02:59 PM
Tell someone who gives a royal shit, Switch! :D

:D :lol: I just did! Dave's charms would override your Palestinian love, Roth Broad!

Angel Baby rockin' it KOSHER STYLE!

LOLOLOLOLOLOL!

Angel
11-01-2004, 06:20 PM
ME??? KOSHER?????

NOPE, Not in a million years! (I like pork too much :D)