PDA

View Full Version : FBI Investigating Halliburton Contracts

ODShowtime
10-28-2004, 05:50 PM
FBI Investigating Halliburton Contracts

8 minutes ago
By JOHN SOLOMON, Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON - The FBI has begun investigating whether the Pentagon improperly awarded no-bid contracts to Halliburton Co., seeking an interview with a top Army contracting officer and collecting documents from several government offices.

The line of inquiry expands an earlier FBI investigation into whether Halliburton overcharged taxpayers for fuel in Iraq , and it elevates to a criminal matter the election-year question of whether the Bush administration showed favoritism to Vice President Dick Cheney's former company.

FBI agents this week sought permission to interview Bunnatine Greenhouse, the Army Corps of Engineers' chief contracting officer who went public last weekend with allegations that her agency unfairly awarded a Halliburton subsidiary no-bid contracts worth billions of dollars in Iraq, according to documents obtained by The Associated Press.

Asked about the documents, Greenhouse's lawyers said Thursday their client will cooperate but that she wants whistleblower protection from Pentagon retaliation.

"I think it (the FBI interview request) underscores the seriousness of the misconduct, and it also demonstrates how courageous Ms. Greenhouse was for stepping forward," said Stephen Kohn, one of her attorneys.

"The initiation of an FBI investigation into criminal misconduct will help restore public confidence," Kohn said. "The Army must aggressively protect Ms. Greenhouse from the retaliation she will encounter as a result of blowing the whistle on this misconduct."

FBI agents also began collecting documents from Army offices in Texas and elsewhere in recent weeks to examine how and why Halliburton got the no-bid work in places like Iraq.

"The Corps is absolutely cooperating with the FBI, and it has been an ongoing effort," said Army Corps spokeswoman Carol Sanders. "Our role is to cooperate. It's a public contract and public funds. We've been providing them information for quite a while."

Wendy Hall, a Halliburton spokeswoman, said the company is cooperating with various investigations, but she dismissed the latest revelation as election politics. She noted Congress' auditing arm, the Government Accountability Office, found the company's no-bid work in Iraq was legal.

"The old allegations have once again been recycled, this time one week before the election," Hall said. "The GAO said earlier this year that the contract was properly awarded because Halliburton was the only contractor that could do the work.

"We look forward to the end of the election, because no matter who is elected president, Halliburton is proud to serve the troops just as we have for the past 60 years for both Democrat and Republican administrations," she said.

Hot off the presses motherfuckers!

I know we had heard some BS recently about how everything Halliburton did was all on the up&up. I knew it was bullshit. So you're gonna tell me that the FBI is run by the Dems now and this is all for the election? Comeon you people have been asleep the last two days. Couple this with the accounting fraud investigation and tell me everything's fuckin' peachy at Dick's place.

Lqskdiver
10-28-2004, 07:25 PM
Bunnatine Greenhouse, the Army Corps of Engineers' chief contracting officer

Sounds like a disgruntled officer who didn't get any cut off the top for getting the contracts to Haliburton.

Two words, OD....NO BID! You can't offer the contract to just anybody if they don't have the capital to perform the job. It was stated by the GAO that everything was legal back then, and the FBI will still come to those conclusions even now. Funny how this pops up just now. :rolleyes:

I knew it would be you, OD, who would post this. What's the matter, did you get fired from one of Haliburton's subsidiaries. Or I could just be too judgemental...to get fired you'd have to have a job.

ODShowtime
10-28-2004, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by Lqskdiver
Bunnatine Greenhouse, the Army Corps of Engineers' chief contracting officer

Sounds like a disgruntled officer who didn't get any cut off the top for getting the contracts to Haliburton.

I knew it would be you, OD, who would post this. What's the matter, did you get fired from one of Haliburton's subsidiaries. Or I could just be too judgemental...to get fired you'd have to have a job.

Damnit. You're the only person to respond?

First off... that name is fucked up.:rolleyes:

Second, why would the FBI be investigating them if nothing at all was wrong? You're telling me the FBI wants gw&friends out? Why would that be?

That and the SEC, and the shareholder class action lawsuit all at the same time. And our Vice President is not even an arm's length away. And you're trying to tell me I'm crazy for smelling the BS. If it turns out clean in the end, fine, I was quick to judge. But you'd have to be a foolish person not be wary. A person like yourself.;)

I knew it would be you lqskdiver who would reply with some stupid half-though out bullshit. What's the matter? You afraid if Halliburton goes down you'll lose your lucrative janitor job at the oil refinery?

Lqskdiver
10-28-2004, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by ODShowtime
If it turns out clean in the end, fine, I was quick to judge.

I'm going to hold you to it. ;)

ODShowtime
10-28-2004, 10:39 PM
That's fine. I hope I'm wrong.

HELLVIS
10-29-2004, 12:12 AM
stunt

Big Train
10-29-2004, 12:53 AM
It's a complete stunt. They know the contracts were valid. The real question is which low level employees were doing kickbacks to their other low level cronies. The contract itself is fine and is a complete election time stunt. An October reprise if you will.

ODShowtime
10-29-2004, 09:19 AM
Why would the FBI be a party to such a stunt? Think hard now!

Big Train
10-29-2004, 12:26 PM
They aren't. It is whoever (senators) called for the investigation...think hard now!!!