PDA

View Full Version : David Lee Roth : solo artist

Wayne L.
01-29-2004, 05:58 PM
I think it's fair to say David Lee Roth has had his " ups & downs" as a solo artist since leaving Van Halen just as much as Ringo Starr after the breakup of the Beatles & Robert Plant after the demise of Led Zeppelin which is to say " he's no different " than other rock legends of his stature while his " only solo masterpiece " is EEAS which showcases Dave at his finest since he has only recorded & released " mostly mediocre " solo albums ever since even though nothing he does as a solo artist " will ever compare " with those first six important & influential VH classic rock albums along with millions of fans like myself who experienced VH live in those days when they were the kings of rock but DLR is a " rock & roll survivor " of the highest degree who is without a doubt one of the last great frontmen in rock speaking as an old VH fan.

flappo
01-29-2004, 06:43 PM
..you should be a mod

twonabomber
01-29-2004, 06:51 PM
i don't think Ringo was up and down, just kinda hovering around the middle. when you compare him to the other three Beatles, Ringo didn't do shit.

Sarge
01-29-2004, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by Wayne L.
I think it's fair to say David Lee Roth has had his " ups & downs" as a solo artist since leaving Van Halen just as much as Ringo Starr after the breakup of the Beatles & Robert Plant after the demise of Led Zeppelin which is to say " he's no different " than other rock legends of his stature while his " only solo masterpiece " is EEAS which showcases Dave at his finest since he has only recorded & released " mostly mediocre " solo albums ever since even though nothing he does as a solo artist " will ever compare " with those first six important & influential VH classic rock albums along with millions of fans like myself who experienced VH live in those days when they were the kings of rock but DLR is a " rock & roll survivor " of the highest degree who is without a doubt one of the last great frontmen in rock speaking as an old VH fan.

That is one long ass sentence

roger2004
01-29-2004, 08:41 PM
Skyscraper rocked !after that it went downhil for this man .He ages terrible, i saw him in holland the netherlands and was shocked how bad he looked.He was wearing ballerina shoes and his mouth was standing open ,even when he wasn't singing or talkin.That in combination of his bald head made me think of a retard.His voice sounded pretty bad ,he couldn't hit high notes.It's good to see that he took control by getting a hairtransplant and sucking his fat out of his body.
His voice sounds also a lot better .Still nowhere near the Van halen day's but better than when i heard him.I think he should write more books the first one was funny as hell!

thebuldawg
01-29-2004, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by Wayne L.
...his " only solo masterpiece " is EEAS which showcases Dave at his finest since he has only recorded & released " mostly mediocre " solo albums ever since...

Someone get this guy a copy of ALAE!

Foozwah
01-30-2004, 12:00 AM
While not quite up there with EEAS, Skyscraper and ALAE both continue to float my boat and I couldn't call 'em mediocre. Patchy, maybe...

I guess where EEAS has it over anything subsequent (and maybe that does make it worthy of the 'solo masterpiece' tag), is (IMHO) that there isn't a single dud track on there. It's all pure DD gold...

Foozwah
01-30-2004, 12:04 AM
PS Ringo Starr?!? Wash your mouth out! ;)

TMR
01-30-2004, 12:53 AM
EEAS is a master piece!

Dave IS VH
01-30-2004, 12:53 AM
EEAS was DLR most successful solo album by far. Skyscraper did alright but not as well as EEAS or some of the albums in VH. Skyscraper was more of a rock/pop album rather then Hard rock that VH was with Dave. Dave was also starting to get older thus losing alot of the teenie bopper fans. When ALAE was release Dave's kind of rock was out. When YFLM was release Dave started to change his style of music and did the whole Vegas thing which killed his Career even more. When the DLR Band album came out the younger generation didn't know who Dave. His last album he went for the Mortown, Techno theme turning Hard rock fans expecting classic VH out only the hardcore DLR fans bought the album. Dave needs to go back to the classic VH stuff thats what the majority of people want from him.

vamp1227
01-30-2004, 08:41 AM
Skyscraper was a good album IMO...

Calderone
01-30-2004, 10:04 AM
his mouth was standing open ,even when he wasn't singing or talkin.
Yeah ...it makes me laugh
why he does that !

Wayne L.
01-30-2004, 10:07 AM
CFTH is just a DLR campy classic EP while EEAS is his " only " masterpiece creatively, musically & artistically as a solo artist but I think Skyscaper, ALAE, YFLM, DLR Band & his latest Diamond Dave are " great " solo albums in their own right by Dave if you're not " expecting " too much IMO.

knuckleboner
01-30-2004, 11:35 AM
dave's had a successful solo career. too many people focus on the "fall" from the preeminence he had with van halen as an indicator that his solo career was awful.

that's just because dave was literally the pinacle with van halen. anything else, however stellar, is still less.

dave had at least 3 platinum albums, a platinum video compilation, a gold album (probably the 4th platinum) with ALAE, and 2 more releases which each sold at least 100,000 copies. and the EEAS and SS tours were extremely successful.

yeah, his album sales have dwindled. but just on his solo career alone, he has had more success and more of a career than most bands out there.

but in the end, it's not van halen. and that's what the general masses look for and compare it to.

but those that just look for the music, can find many great tunes in those 7 albums.

Catfish
01-30-2004, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by roger2004
Skyscraper rocked !after that it went downhil for this man .He ages terrible, i saw him in holland the netherlands and was shocked how bad he looked.He was wearing ballerina shoes and his mouth was standing open ,even when he wasn't singing or talkin.That in combination of his bald head made me think of a retard.His voice sounded pretty bad ,he couldn't hit high notes.It's good to see that he took control by getting a hairtransplant and sucking his fat out of his body.
His voice sounds also a lot better .Still nowhere near the Van halen day's but better than when i heard him.I think he should write more books the first one was funny as hell!

Dood, do you have any fucking idea what you're talking about??

Catfish
01-30-2004, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by knuckleboner
dave's had a successful solo career. too many people focus on the "fall" from the preeminence he had with van halen as an indicator that his solo career was awful.

that's just because dave was literally the pinacle with van halen. anything else, however stellar, is still less.

dave had at least 3 platinum albums, a platinum video compilation, a gold album (probably the 4th platinum) with ALAE, and 2 more releases which each sold at least 100,000 copies. and the EEAS and SS tours were extremely successful.

yeah, his album sales have dwindled. but just on his solo career alone, he has had more success and more of a career than most bands out there.

but in the end, it's not van halen. and that's what the general masses look for and compare it to.

but those that just look for the music, can find many great tunes in those 7 albums.

Correct. Dave's solo career has been very successful, albeit not any more. Stack his numbers up against others who have left their successful bands to go solo. NO CONTEST.

Van Halen continued to be successful and that's the only reason people think Dave's career took a shit.

Besides, did Hagar ever spend two world tours filling arenas as a solo act? No fucking way.

rustoffa
01-30-2004, 02:08 PM
Man....any day now some motherfuckers with hearing aid lookin' things are gonna kick my door in and take my DLR albums and discs.....I just know it.:rolleyes:

Mr Badguy
01-30-2004, 02:37 PM
I believe in chemistry in bands.

Quite often it takes the same guys to make something special as opposed to just making music.

Although I really like Roth`s solo stuff, Van Halen`s first six albums were better.

It was like Eddie wrote the great songs and Roth sold them.

I think Dave worked better in Van Halen because he didn`t have the final say in everything.

Dave IS VH
01-30-2004, 03:42 PM
I love all of Dave's solo stuff all 7 albums. I'm not down playing any of Dave's album or his Career. The only way Dave's career will be where it was before is a VH reuion. What ever Dave does I will be behind him 100% in my opinion DLR is the best singer and performer of all time.

Foozwah
02-02-2004, 06:59 PM
I'd take EEAS (and even Skyscraper) over any and all of Dave's VH period stuff. EVH's talent as a songwriter always seemed kinda over-rated to me.

I guess that makes me some kind of heretic round here.

Brett
02-02-2004, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by Foozwah
I'd take EEAS (and even Skyscraper) over any and all of Dave's VH period stuff. EVH's talent as a songwriter always seemed kinda over-rated to me.

I guess that makes me some kind of heretic round here.

No but it makes you pretty strange.

Gmoney
02-02-2004, 09:20 PM
I fail to see the comparison between Ringo Starr and David Lee Roth???

It's almost like expecting a good solo album from Alex VanHalen if VH broke up....

Foozwah
02-03-2004, 01:36 AM
Originally posted by Brett
No but it makes you pretty strange.

And you had to register and post for the very first time just to let me know that...? :D

DLR7884
02-03-2004, 01:43 AM
Originally posted by Foozwah
And you had to register and post for the very first time just to let me know that...? :D

LOL!

DLR7884
He'll never post again I bet! :)

S.P.G
02-04-2004, 04:35 PM
ringo has been very sucessful!

He was the voice over for thomas the tank engine wasn't he?

http://www.hitentertainment.com/thomasthetankengine/home/homepage.html

ELVIS
02-04-2004, 05:35 PM
I think Wayne should post like this:

<marquee>I think it's fair to say David Lee Roth has had his " ups & downs" as a solo artist since leaving Van Halen just as much as Ringo Starr after the breakup of the Beatles & Robert Plant after the demise of Led Zeppelin which is to say " he's no different " than other rock legends of his stature while his " only solo masterpiece " is EEAS which showcases Dave at his finest since he has only recorded & released " mostly mediocre " solo albums ever since even though nothing he does as a solo artist " will ever compare " with those first six important & influential VH classic rock albums along with millions of fans like myself who experienced VH live in those days when they were the kings of rock but DLR is a " rock & roll survivor " of the highest degree who is without a doubt one of the last great frontmen in rock speaking as an old VH fan.</marquee>

:elvis:

Foozwah
02-04-2004, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by DLR7884
LOL!

DLR7884
He'll never post again I bet! :)

Well, it's been three days and counting now! ;)

dsh2112
02-04-2004, 07:41 PM
I've enjoyed every DLR solo recording.
He gives us a wide array of styles that only prove how great he really is.
YFLM was a prime example of just what he could and can do with any song, any genre and kick ass doing it.
DLR is the perfect frontman for any band he wants to hook up with.
God forbid he wanted to do strictly country, but he would rule the country charts if that's what he wanted to do.
There's no doubt in my mind.
Rock On
Later
David

mammoth
02-04-2004, 09:18 PM
he said "RINGO".
to funny!:argh:

Gmoney
02-04-2004, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by S.P.G
[B]ringo has been very sucessful!

He was the voice over for thomas the tank engine wasn't he?

Sorry, I forgot about Thomas the Tank, he was brillant on that show.
LOL.....