PDA

View Full Version : Triumph

guwapo_rocker
10-29-2004, 07:33 PM
Triumph (Not The Dog) Remastered, Light Show Not Included
Thursday October 28, 2004 @ 03:30 PM
By: ChartAttack.com Staff

Rik Emmett

It’s rare to see the name Triumph in the news these days, unless it’s concerning Conan O’Brien’s insult-happy pooch. Well, the Canadian hard-rock trio that also goes by that moniker is ready to make a, ahem, triumphant return.

Mike Levine, bass player/keyboardist for the defunct band, has been holed up in his fancy-pants studio in Mississauga overseeing the remastering of Triumph’s entire catalogue, with the first titles in stores this week.

Coming out of Toronto in the mid-'70s, Triumph were an important page in the Can-Rock history book. The band were known for their catchy-yet-hard music, a sort of progged-up metal that saw comparisons with Canadian cousins Rush. They first saw success with a 1977 cover of Joe Walsh’s "Rocky Mountain Way," before hitting it big with their own music on a pair of gold record hits: 1981’s Allied Forces and Never Surrender in ’82.

Well before laser eye surgery hit the scene, the band were well known for attacking their audience with crazy light shows and pyrotechnics in concert, even writing a song about that claim-to-fame, "Blinding Light Show." Original frontman Rik Emmett left in 1988, with the remaining band releasing one more album under the name, though it doesn’t look like that one will be part of the remastered series.

Back in the day, Triumph were always big on sound quality, hand-picking the best engineers and insisting their label use high-quality virgin vinyl for the radio copies of their records — ensuring the best on-air sound possible.

Like many bands, their catalogue was already released 10 years back with the initial CD boom, but transfer technology has improved dramatically and a lot of artists are now re-mastering and re-releasing their vinyl albums on disc.

The last "new" material we got from the band was a concert CD/DVD put out last year, Live At The U.S. Festival, which featured Triumph’s set from the 1983 music fest in California, in front of a crowd 500,000 strong. The band played alongside Van Halen, Scorpions, Ozzy Osbourne, Judas Priest, Motley Crue and Quiet Riot, in what was billed as Heavy Metal Sunday.

—David McDougall

http://www.chartattack.com/damn/2004/10/2804.cfm

I always thought the drums and guitars on their albums sounded

shit, way too much treble and not enough balls.

They kicked ass live though.

Anyone?

EbDawson
10-30-2004, 02:21 AM
Awesome, I'll be looking to pick up a few of these remastered CDs. Allied Forces was a Great one! Great band, never got to see 'em live though.

WACF
11-03-2004, 01:28 PM
Heard "Fight The Good Fight" the other day on the radio.
A classic deep cut they called it.

Forgot all about that song.

I loved their early stuff.
Thunder 7 was alright but I started to lose interest after that.

DLR_EngineRoom
11-08-2004, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by guwapo_rocker
Triumph (Not The Dog) Remastered, Light Show Not Included

http://www.chartattack.com/damn/2004/10/2804.cfm

I always thought the drums and guitars on their albums sounded

shit, way too much treble and not enough balls.

They kicked ass live though.

Anyone?

Yeah, they ruled alright, with Rik that is. To date, the 'Thunder 7' concert at Maple Leaf Gardens was one of the best I'd ever seen, ever.

So they're remastering their catalogue, AGAIN???

What scammers.....I thought I bought all of them (finally!) and now this.

Appears that they're taking a lot of marketing ideas from their former stage mates 'Van Halen'.

Let's put out the same stuff and call it remastered again.

Only difference is, Triumph w/Rik is like VH w/Dave.

And Van Hagar, continues to suck.