PDA

View Full Version : What if Van Hagar tunes were Dave's?

Antman
10-29-2004, 09:34 PM
We all know Sammy ruined VH. But I'm sure many of us had said of Van Hagr tunes, "Good tune except for the singing" It is fact that some of 5150 were written with or for Dave. So basically to rephrase the question, if Dave sang some of the Van Hagar tunes, would they be better? Aside from the lyrics being different, or let's even suppose Dave wrote the same lyrics, would we change our opinion? I think so. I could dig Dave doin Top Of the World, or Summer Nights, or even It's About Time. Wht does everyone else think?

JCOOK
10-30-2004, 05:44 AM
Dave don't sing cheese!

lms2
10-30-2004, 09:44 AM
I have said this before myself... but people on this site will not acknowledge the possibility!

Lou
10-30-2004, 01:47 PM
If they were done with Dave they probably would have been very good. A lot of Van Hagar riffs which became "Good Enough, "A.F.U.," "The Dream Is Over," "Pleasure Dome," and "Judgement Day" were written during the Roth years.

That's what cracks me up about people who like Van Hagar for Eddie--all the good riffs were already written prior to 1985.

houseofpain1
10-30-2004, 04:28 PM
Is that the truth Lou? Because the songs you mentioned, except PD, were 1 wich i liked.

spmusicplyr
10-30-2004, 04:36 PM
dave said on howard stern that he wrote summer nights with eddie...and a handful ofothers from 5150. look at the 1992 interview...so yea, i could picture dave singing them..... the inside magazine said they worked on dreams too.

imho, i love 5150 because it still has daves presence, even after he left.

bueno bob
11-01-2004, 02:10 AM
Dave could have probably done some great things with songs like "Get Up", "5150", "Source of Infection", "Summer Nights", "Humans Being", "Good Enough", maybe even "Best of Both Worlds"...hard saying, but I think it's a foregone conclusion that if David had stayed on permanently, we'd all be happy campers in Van Halen land at this point.

scubaa
11-01-2004, 09:47 PM
DLR could NOT sing any of the above songs if he tried!!

bueno bob
11-04-2004, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by scubaa
DLR could kick my ASS even if he didn't try!! Because I'M FUCKING GAY!!!

Did you miss me, Scoobz?

Coyote
11-04-2004, 01:47 AM
Originally posted by Antman
I could dig Dave doin Top Of the World, or Summer Nights, or even It's About Time. Wht does everyone else think?

"It's About Time"? No, Dave wouldn't do that. It's still a raw demo of a song, and Dave would put it on a grill...
But seriously, when yours truly took a re-listen to Up For Shitheads, er, Breakfast, I could imagine Dave doin' that song.

Concentrate hard enough, and you can hear those trademark Dave-screams'n'yowls in the very background...
(Was I desperate to hear a hint of hope for new Van HALEN or was I just plain drunk at the time? You tell me...)

bueno bob
11-04-2004, 02:23 AM
Originally posted by Coyote
Was I desperate to hear a hint of hope for new Van HALEN or was I just plain drunk at the time? You tell me...

OK, well...you were obviously on your juice that night... :)

Wolverine
11-05-2004, 08:50 AM
me wise magic has a more of a van hagar sound then anything from the classic 6 so that would be the closet dave got to the van hagar sound. but if I had to pick an actual van hagar tune that dave would have done it would be "spanked" on f.u.c.k.!! it had more of the classic vh sound than there other shit they did with spammy!!

DLRdelight!
11-13-2004, 06:12 PM
I think most of the songs would be really great because they would have had that dave vibe that makes his tracks so good,and of course much better lyrics

dave_is_vh
11-25-2004, 02:48 PM
Dave would have completely changed the attitude, sound, melody, lyrics, and song structure. The songs would be very different. But it is a good point that many Van Hagar song structures would be classic Van Halen song structures if Dave has remained. Of course, Dave would have rejected the pussy songs and focused on more hard rocking tunes. So many Van Hagar song structures never would have seen the light of day with Dave in the band.

DeadOrAlive
11-25-2004, 07:31 PM
Hmmm... Dave doesnt sing that van hagar crap!!

Loons The Great
05-29-2006, 06:16 PM
Dave would have sang,"Celebration," instead of BOBW.:D