PDA

View Full Version : 5-Minute Major

POJO_Risin
10-30-2004, 05:33 PM
Alright...whenever the fuck I feel like it...I'm going to run with a commentary about something godawful stupid I've heard...and last night takes the cake...

I'm sitting in a bar last night with Ernie, a Boston fan, and Bill, a Cubs fan. And yeah, it didn't pass me that the Boston fan had the first name of the great Ernie Banks...and the Cubs fan the name of the infamous Bill Buckner...but that's for the other article. So were sitting at the bar...drinking our first beer, and finally, Ernie shouts out...MY YEARS OF PAIN ARE OVER. Now...realize...this is halfway through beer 1...and I had no idea what the fuck he was talking about. so I ask..."What the fuck are you talking about?" His response of course was..."86 years of pain are over...86 years of fucking PAIN GONE! I couldn't have lived another year without a title. If they would have lost this one...that would have been it for me and Baseball." Of course, I know this same phrased has been uttered by millions of Bostonians for the better part of the last century. Bill, of course, can hardly contain himself..."FUCK YOU...YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT PAIN IS. TRY 96 FUCKING YEARS YOU FUCKER...AND COUNTING!"

Boston Ernie just couldn't stand it. "Dude, this is Boston we're talking about. We lost Ruth, we turned down Gerhig, we couldn't do it for Yaz or Williams or Rice or Clemens! WE WERE AN OUT AWAY...UNTIL BILL FUCKING BUCKNER DROPPED THAT BALL...YOU DON'T KNOW PAIN!"

I took another swig and ordered us all another round of beer.

Chicago Bill quickly responded...."1. You just won a fucking series...you've at least been close in some years...AND IT'S NEARLY BEEN A CENTURY! THE LAST TIME WE WON THE SERIES, HONUS WAGNER, NAP LAJOIE AND TY COBB WERE BUSY TRYING TO CLEAT EACH OTHER! Tinkers to Evers to Chance was the damn #1 single! 100 FUCKING YEARS! I can't take this anymore...I'll never see another game again. I hope Boston rots in hell..."

I quickly realized at this point...both were staring at me. I quickly slammed my beer...ordered another round...lit a smoke...and decided to throw my hat into the ring...

"Okay gentleman...you both have made your case...I understand your pain very well...as I, myself was only an out away from a title in 1997, and had to endure the pain of losing a world series to the Braves...yes...their only series..."

Both quickly interceded..."THE INDIANS...THE INDIANS!!!! YOU ARE INSANE YOU STUPID BASTARD..." They literally said this in unison..."The Indians WON IN 1948...THAT'S ONLY WHAT...56 YEARS...GIVE ME A FUCKING BREAK...WE WERE BOTH OVER 75 YEARS IN WAITING BEFORE THIS YEAR..." Again...both said this together....I ignored and continued...

"I think I have felt more pain than both of you...here me out..."

I squelched their screams with a double shot of jack, and a tequila chaser...

"The Cubs...they have surely felt pain...just in the sheer longetivity of it all...96 years...good god that's a long time...they haven't been in a series since 1945...and only been in the playoffs 4 times since then, and never with a real shot at winning it all....and let's face facts...there really must be something against them...last year proved that..."

"You see!...YOU SEE!" shouted Chicago Bill..."I've felt the most pain. 96 years...96 YEARS...I HAVEN'T EVEN SEEN A SERIES SINCE 1945!"

"Yes Bill...96 years and 59 since even an appearance in the big dance...you certainly have some cred. After this year, I'd even say you had more cred than the Sox since they one it all!"

I took another swig...knowing this comment wouldn't go un touched...

"What? WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT! SO FUCKING WHAT IF WE WON IT ALL THIS YEAR...THE CURSE...THE FUCKING CURSE!"

"Okay...okay...Ernie...you certainly have felt pain as well. You blew it with Babe...he was a great pitcher...and a great hitter obviously...and you sold him...then turned down Gehrig a couple of years later because New York felt bad that they shafted you for Ruth. You turned that one down because you didn't trust them..."

"You SEE!"

"Yes, Boston Ernie, I see, and there's more too," I said. "You had been in four world series since then...all game 7 losses! In 1946...you lost 4-3 in game 7 to the St. Louis Cardinals...in Teddy Ballgame's only real shot at a title! In 1967 you lost 4-3 in game 7 to those same Cardinals...and you were up 3-0 on freakin' Bob Gibson. He had the last laugh though...going 3-0 against you...and winning that game 7. You lost in 1986 of course...after blowing game 6...in game 7. Ooops...I forgot 1975...a game 7 loss to Cincinnati...sorry..."

"Ahhh...all those years...so close...yet so far...and you didn't even mention the evil New York Yankees...that kept us in second I don't know how many times..." said an ever drunker Boston Ernie. "Yeah, we won this year...but surely all of those close calls were much more painful than never tasting it...like those fucking Cubs...and the Indians...YOU DON'T KNOW PAIN!"

I quickly downed a shot of Blackberry Schnapps...chased it with some Pabst Blue Ribbon...and quickly bought a Heinekin...

"Okay...I've given you both your props...now let me say my piece. Cleveland won it all in 1948...and beat the Sox in a 1 game playoff to get there..."

"YOU SEE...YOU SEE!!!" Shouted Boston Ernie...

"Shut the fuck up..." I muttered back...."you've had your time in your life to whine about your fucking curse, now shut the fuck up to some real pain..."

He bought me a shot of Cuervo...wrote NO WAY on the napkin...and passed it over...

"As I was saying...We won in 1948...then...in a resounding way...set a modern day record in wins in 1954...only to get swept by the Giants because of that rat bastard Mays' and his stupid ass catch...After 1960...we traded Rocky Colavito...and we didn't CONTEND FOR 35 YEARS...one third place finish...ONE THIRD PLACE FINISH...nothing else even close. 1994...1 game out of first...catching the White Sox...the season is cancelled. 1995...Atlanta wins all 4 games they win by 1 fucking run. 1997...one out away...ONE OUT AWAY...JOSE FUCKING MESA...and that was really it. Now we're back to sucking again..."

"C'MON YOU IDIOT..." They both said in unison again (I noticed the more drunk they got...the more together they were! "THAT'S NOT EVEN CLOSE. 50-SOME YEARS?"

"Just out of curiousity gentleman...how old are you?"

"31..." Said Boston Ernie...

"30..." Said Chicago Bill...

"So spare me the fucking 96 and the 86 year bullshit...I'm 33...I have you both by a couple of years..."

And so goes the truth of baseball pains...spare me the crap about how long some of you have felt the pain...hell...there are 1 year olds right now bitching about the Marlins not having won in their lifetime...

Pain is in the eye in the beholder...and hell...next year starts the curse of Pedro...

Va Beach VH Fan
10-30-2004, 06:10 PM
Interesting conversation...

Bet it got more interesting the drunker you all got....

I guess my response to that subject would be this;

Given the current economic state of baseball, do you see any modern teams, who currently have streaks going themselves now, getting close to the Red Sox's 86 years ??

Here are the clubs without a title in over 14 years:

AL

Oakland - 15
Kansas City - 19
Baltimore - 21
Cleveland - 56
Chicago WS - 87

NL

Cincinnati - 14
Los Angeles - 16
NY Mets - 18
St. Louis - 22
Philadelphia - 24
Pittsburgh - 25
Milwaukee - 34 (never)
San Diego - 35 (never)
San Fran - 46 (never)
Chicago Cubs - 94

POJO_Risin
10-30-2004, 06:35 PM
I'd put my money on the Brewers...NEVER tasting World Series glory...

and yeah Va...I did leave out some special moments...

POJO_Risin
10-30-2004, 06:35 PM
You throw that economic comment to get me all riled up now...don't you...;)

Lou
10-30-2004, 06:58 PM
You ever notice no one really calls the Cubs thing a curse. Yeah the "curse of the billy goat" thing came out last year but honestly I never heard of that before. I always thought Chicagoans just referred to their team as "loveable losers" and that was it.

POJO_Risin
10-30-2004, 07:04 PM
It was all about a "curse" last year...there was no loveable losers involved...blaming the guy in the stands...lmfao...

And what of the city of Chicago period?

Nobody talks about the White Sox...lmfao...

redblkwht
10-30-2004, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by POJO_Risin
It was all about a "curse" last year...there was no loveable losers involved...blaming the guy in the stands...lmfao...

And what of the city of Chicago period?

Nobody talks about the White Sox...lmfao...
Thats because reinsdorf sold out the team in what 96? white flag
sale in mid-year..since then not many sell-outs unless they play
the yanks cubs redsox. They havent forgiven the owner yet, IMO-

Cubs on the other hand, who the hek knows, allthough i did remember
in 1984(go figure) the goat story then too.
nice story JP..

POJO_Risin
10-30-2004, 07:52 PM
Everybody talks about the Cubs and the Red Sox...nobody talks about the Black Sox...similar "curse" as the bambino...haven't won since the year before Boston's last before this year...

redblkwht
10-30-2004, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by redblkwht
Thats because reinsdorf sold out the team in what 96? white flag
sale in mid-year..since then not many sell-outs unless they play
the yanks cubs redsox. They havent forgiven the owner yet, IMO-

Sox fans are very bitter i may add..
ever notice mostly minority in the crowd when they play the Indians?
look next year & you'll see, the gangbangers too..south side IS the
worst neighborhood in Chicago..shooters, stabbers, rapists & Dealers.
My father grew up in that neighborhood in the 30's & 40's, all
Irish & Italian back then, when it was good. Im oficially the black
sheep of the family being a cub fan. Do they talk the junk in the
Interleague, i got my sweep finally this year.

POJO_Risin
10-30-2004, 08:09 PM
Yeah...back in the heydey of the 90's...the White Sox used to have commercials for Indian fans all year for ticket packages...that's pretty fucking sorry...

redblkwht
10-30-2004, 08:13 PM
Yeah...back in the heydey of the 90's...the White Sox used to have commercials for Indian fans all year for ticket packages...that's pretty fucking sorry... Still do at the grociery stores, like
9.00 a game & killer seats too if you buy like 12 games.

POJO_Risin
10-30-2004, 08:30 PM
But advertising IN CLEVELAND FOR RIVAL FANS TO COME TO THE GAMES?

LMFAO...that's when you know you suck...when you depend on the opponants for fans...

ALinChainz
10-30-2004, 08:48 PM
Tigers steamrolled to the title in 1984.

Lost in the playoffs in '87.

That's been it.

24 years for us. And some sucky years at that.

Igosplut
10-30-2004, 08:58 PM
Funny rant Pog, I was wondering when you were gonna chime in about the Red Sox.......

Curse-shmuse, its only there if you believe it.

POJO_Risin
10-31-2004, 12:31 AM
I had a brief conversation again with Boston Ernie tonight...and I shit you not...the fucker said this...if you can believe it...

"We're losing Lowe next year...I can't believe we're losing Lowe next year..."

1 year olds in Florida...feel secure...the Boston fans can't give up the curse so easily...

the Curse of the Bambino...to the Curse of Lowe...

redblkwht
10-31-2004, 02:11 AM
They'd be lucky if only him, out of the pitching staff leaves..
Shit i wouldnt be thinking of next year if my team won, id be taking smack to all the redbird fans up here.
Funny story on that note-
A Card fan came in my work today & I said nice redsox hat..
He laughed & thought i was funny, it was a in your face comment.
I guess he didnt get it. I do that to GB football fans here too. lol

redblkwht
10-31-2004, 02:13 AM
I guess you have to understant my deviant humor..
sometimes i have to stop myself. :gulp:

redblkwht
10-31-2004, 02:37 AM
Heres the latest Sosa read i just nabbed from yahoo..
Man get this fucker outta here!!!!!!!
1 greedy mofo..
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sammy Sosa was humiliated by being dropped to sixth in the Chicago Cubs lineup, and claims he was mistreated by the club.

When he struggled down the stretch of the season, Cubs manager Dusty Baker lowered the slugger in the batting order -- much to Sosa's dismay.

``I'm not a sixth batter,'' Sosa told Hoy newspaper in Santo Domingo on Saturday upon returning to his native Dominican Republic. ``I'm a cleanup hitter or third because I've earned that right with almost 600 career home runs.''

ADVERTISEMENT

Sosa, 35, batted .253 this season -- his lowest average since 1997. In 126 games, he had 35 homers and 80 RBIs, ending his run of nine straight 100-RBI seasons.

The season ended on a sour note for Sosa and the Cubs. Chicago squandered its wild-card lead with a severe slide in the final week, and the Cubs were eliminated on the second-to-last day.

Sosa arrived late to the finale at Wrigley Field and then left the game early without playing. The Cubs fined him $87,500 -- one day's salary -- because of his actions.

``I know I screwed up and I can assure you that I've asked for forgiveness,'' Sosa told the newspaper. ``But I also need to say that I felt poorly treated.

``So many things happened that I was in shock. I needed to rest that day because I wasn't going to be able to give it my best.''

Sosa has a year left on his contract that will pay him $17 million, and the club has an option for 2006. Trade rumors have already started, and the New York Mets are reportedly interested.

The former All-Star has hit 574 home runs during 16 major league seasons, and Sosa says he plans to play into his 40s.

``I'm going to play at least another five or six seasons, hitting 35 home runs a year,'' he said. ``That would allow me to finish my career with 700 home runs.''

POJO_Risin
10-31-2004, 02:42 AM
blah...blah...blah...blah...

anyone who deals for this piece of shit deserves what they get...

a malcontent...who's as two faced as they come...

at least roid boy Bonds is an asshole in the clubhouse...and outside of it...there isn't a reporter in Chicago who will speak good about Sosa...because of how he REALLY is....

it's good to see his old fucking age is bringing it out to the public as well...

redblkwht
10-31-2004, 02:47 AM
Hes even an asshole to kids, before game coming out of his car the
fucker dont even agnowledge anyone, just looks down. prick-
not even a wave, nothin'

redblkwht
10-31-2004, 02:49 AM
Him & his tight gerry curl superman point with that grease hairdoo
what a goofball..

POJO_Risin
10-31-2004, 02:52 AM
After the cork incident...Rome had a guy from the Tribune talking about Sosa...

Romey asked him whether or not Sosa was capable of that...and the reporter didn't hesitate...

"No doubt about it. That guy would desanctify every rule of baseball to look good."

Now, I don't know about you, but saying shit like that in your hometown...to your hometown wouldn't endear you to the player you were bashing...so you know Sosa already treats the media at least, like a burning pile of cow patties...

redblkwht
10-31-2004, 03:07 AM
Should hear them lynching his ass thru all the playoffs..
It was music to my ears.
I hear the Tibune will do anything necessary to move him
out, even eating most of the dinero, hes as good as gone already.
thank the stars. My peace would be them to win again next yr, without
him in spite. Kerry Wood needs to win over 15 games though..

Igosplut
10-31-2004, 06:48 AM
I had a brief conversation again with Boston Ernie tonight...and I shit you not...the fucker said this...if you can believe it...

"We're losing Lowe next year...I can't believe we're losing Lowe next year..."

1 year olds in Florida...feel secure...the Boston fans can't give up the curse so easily...

the Curse of the Bambino...to the Curse of Lowe...

Funny how some people react...... Lowe came up big during the playoffs sure...But do you think anybody'ed be giving that much of a shit about Lowe leaving if the Yanks has won the ALCS?

And yea, Some of these fans can't help but take a great thing and twist it into more misery. Plenty of time to worry about next year, shit it hasn't even been a week yet.

POJO_Risin
10-31-2004, 12:48 PM
You know though Igo...it's in the Red Sox mentality...you don't think this one Series victory is going to take away all of the pain...and all of the anguish...

Then they'd just be Yankee fans...;)

High Life Man
10-31-2004, 10:34 PM
I'd put my money on the Brewers...NEVER tasting World Series glory...

I don't understand the 32. It's been 22 years since we've been in the WS.

And they're going to be very good in a couple of years. Plus a new owner with some $$$.

Va Beach VH Fan
11-01-2004, 07:47 PM
Sheesh...

I said "title", as in World Series Championship......

High Life Man
11-02-2004, 10:57 AM
Gotcha....I thought you meant appearance. Never mind. Brain me retarded mode go.