PDA

View Full Version : Albums that the production spoiled

Golden AWe
10-31-2004, 10:22 AM
We're talking of decent/good songs here, but for one or another reason the sound on the album is too over-produced, clean etc...and who's to blame?

DLR - Skyscraper...oh, I'd so much want to hear the Sheehan/Vai-demos for this album. Great songs, overall sound too poppy, too much keyboard-oriented songs comapred to the raw guitars.

Ozzy Osbourne - Ozzmosis: There's no live feeling or anything too raw on this album, despite some great songs like "I just want you".

Queen - Kind of Magic: This album has some great tunes but overall it probably sounds a bit too 80's. I miss the 70's rock operas from the band...songs like "One vision" are a bit poppy on the album but rock much harder live...

Your takes?

Mr Badguy
10-31-2004, 10:34 AM
Judas Priest "Defenders of the faith".

If that album had the solid sound that Tom Allom gave "British steel" and "Point of entry" had, then "DOTF" would have been their best album ever.

However, the sound is really muddy and the drums sound as if they were recorded in a shed out the back.

It`s a pity as the songs are excellent.

bueno bob
10-31-2004, 12:12 PM
Metallica - "And Justice for All", "St. Anger"
Black Sabbath - "Born Again", "Forbidden"
Yngwie Malmsteen - "War to End All Wars"
Wolfsbane - "Live Fast, Die Fast"

Come to mind immediately...

PHOENIX
10-31-2004, 12:52 PM
Ac/Dc Blow up Your Video.

This album had some good tunes but the production was awful. Hopefully the remastered version has improved the sound.

Mr Badguy
10-31-2004, 01:40 PM
Iron Maiden "The X factor"

I know some people hate it (and it took me a long time to get into it), the songs are really dark and Blaze Bayley`s vocals are occasionally very poor.

There is some excellent stuff on there, though, which is let down by flat sonics.

If Maiden had got Kevin Shirley earlier and got him to beef up the guitars a bit, instead of Steve Harris jumping into the producer`s chair, then the reunion might have been delayed a few years.

ODShowtime
11-01-2004, 04:12 PM
Every Kiss album except their first all the way up until Alive II.

How could their live albums be so awesome and their studio albums be so shitty sounding?

Black Sabbath's early albums, from a production standpoint, aren't exactly masterworks either, but they way were better than Kiss.

lesfunk
11-01-2004, 04:27 PM
Michael Schenker Group "MSG"
Ron Nevison destroyed that mix.

EmpyreLounge44
11-01-2004, 04:30 PM
kiss live albums were the least live thing...its widely known that kiss created Alive 2 in the studio after they sounded terrible taping thte past three nights of their tour out at I believe the Capitol in LA. its not live at all...all studio work with dubbed in crowd

Mezro
11-01-2004, 04:32 PM
Metallica - St. Anger and AJFA
DLR - Skyscraper
VH3 - nevermind...that would suck even if it had good production

Mezro...producers are like teachers: they can't "do" so they "show"...

ODShowtime
11-01-2004, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by EmpyreLounge44
kiss live albums were the least live thing...its widely known that kiss created Alive 2 in the studio

Maybe, but to me, the guitar tones on Alive II (the live part) sound better than anything Kiss did in the studio. Alive II you can just compare to the shit studio tracks tacked onto the end.

rustoffa
11-01-2004, 09:41 PM
Guns & Roses "Use your illusion 1 & 2": From "Patience" to "November
Rain"? Aside from a few songs, It was pretty much over the top production IMO.

Cheap Trick "Lap of Luxury": They sold out but didn't
end up like the rest of the corporate eighties debacles.
"The Flame" is a decent hokey ballad I guess.

Ozzy's "Ozzmosis" as well.

Too many to choose........

ODShowtime
11-01-2004, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by rustoffa
Guns & Roses "Use your illusion 1 & 2": From "Patience" to "November
Rain"? Aside from a few songs, It was pretty much over the top production IMO.

Somebody should have smacked Axl upside the head. When they went on tour with backup singers you knew something was very wrong.

Hecubus
11-01-2004, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by PHOENIX
Ac/Dc Blow up Your Video.

This album had some good tunes but the production was awful. Hopefully the remastered version has improved the sound.

Absolutely correct, Peenix.

AC/DC's biggest overlooked song?

"That's the Way I Wanna Rock & Roll"

Vivian Campbell
11-02-2004, 12:57 PM
Rainbow: Live in Germany
Black Sabbath Born Again, Headless Cross