PDA

View Full Version : Seriously someone needs to do something

Seshmeister
11-02-2004, 09:12 PM
The US is the richest country in the world.

Billions are spent on elections yet people have to wait for hours in line to vote when only 50% or 60% of the electorate get in.

That is seriously fucked up.

Here we get around 70% and it has never taken me more than 10 minutes.

I just wouldn't vote if it took hours, it's that simple. I admire the folk that do. People waiting in lines for 5 HOURS in some places? That's fucking 3rd world shit.

Australia gets 95% turnouts just using a postal ballot with penalties if you don't vote.

You would have thought after the total mess last time they would have sorted all this shit by now. What a fucking disgrace.

17000 lawyers waiting in the wings. What in the name of cunt is going on over there?

And the same people are going to be showing the Iraqi's how to do it?

I'm listening to the guy who redesigned the Florida ballot on the radio and he's all proud. It's a great day to be an American. This is when we show the world how to do democracy. Honestly. You would think the US was the only country in the world that had elections. It would be if they were all run like this.

Cheers!

:gulp:

ODShowtime
11-02-2004, 09:14 PM
When you have the highest voter turnout in years, maybe ever, and there's no way to accurately forecast how many people will show up, you have logistics problems. We don't need the armchair quarterbacking.

BigBadBrian
11-02-2004, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by Seshmeister

Billions are spent on elections yet people have to wait for hours in line to vote when only 50% or 60% of the electorate get in.

I just wouldn't vote if it took hours, it's that simple. I admire the folk that do.

People waiting in lines for 5 HOURS in some places? That's fucking 3rd world shit.

Australia gets 95% turnouts just using a postal ballot with penalties if you don't vote.

You would have thought after the total mess last time they would have sorted all this shit by now. What a disgrace.

Cheers!

You're right. I wanted to slap this stupid bitch silly because I had to wait an hour because my last name starts with a K. H thru P had to wait about an hour to vote while others had to wait about 5 minutes. They split the registrar book into three, neglecting the fact that the middle part of the alphabet contains the most surnames for voter verification. :gulp:

Seshmeister
11-02-2004, 09:19 PM
An hour?

Jesus.

I would have walked. When was the last time a state was won by one vote? I know it's a circular arguument but for fuck sake.

Tax political adverts 1% and you could have a manicure while a stripper performed in the booth for you.

Seshmeister
11-02-2004, 09:19 PM
Ooops.

Seshmeister
11-02-2004, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by ODShowtime
When you have the highest voter turnout in years, maybe ever, and there's no way to accurately forecast how many people will show up, you have logistics problems. We don't need the armchair quarterbacking.

With all due respect OD that's bollocks. Highest ever maybe but still only up what 20% max on last time?

Here just about every school is a polling station. They send you a little card, (no registration it's done automatically) and you just walk in, hand the card over, they give you a little slip, vote out, 5-10 minutes.

They get bank staff to count the bits of paper and you know who won the election in about 3 hours after the ballot.

It's not rocket science.

I(and many others) were thinking Internet voting was the future because I thought that was maybe too much hassle then I'm listenig tonight to the nonsense you guys have to put up with...

Cheers!

John Ashcroft
11-02-2004, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by ODShowtime

Exactly! It's our own damn fault for being complacent in previous elections. Like anything else, they staff according to precedent, and our country's done pretty bad with getting out to vote in the past.

So turnout's high this time around, and people have to wait. No worries, it's well worth it.

BTW, the wife and I waited approximately 1 hour to vote tonight. But it was actually enjoyable. Got to meet a bunch of people, and had many good conversations.

Seshmeister
11-02-2004, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by John Ashcroft
BTW, the wife and I waited approximately 1 hour to vote tonight. But it was actually enjoyable. Got to meet a bunch of people,

Not for the bunch of people...:)

Ha!

TongueNGroove
11-02-2004, 09:47 PM
I waited in line for 2 hours. Yah it sucked, but it was well worth it.

John Ashcroft
11-02-2004, 09:53 PM
Not for the bunch of people...:)

Ha!

Heh heh heh... Well at least my wife's hot. Maybe that softened the impact a bit.

lms2
11-02-2004, 09:56 PM
An hour?

Tax political adverts 1% and you could have a manicure while a stripper performed in the booth for you.

I think that would slow up the voting process considerably!

WACF
11-02-2004, 10:13 PM
Christ...I saw on the news some people waited 5 hrs....don't know if I could of done that.

Kudos to those to stuck it out.

Ally_Kat
11-02-2004, 10:19 PM
Took me only about 5 min -- if that. Walked right up to my district's table, told them my name, signed, and voted.

Biggest line I saw was when my mother was closing up her place. 3 people were waiting for the one district.

BrownSound1
11-02-2004, 10:32 PM

I just wouldn't vote if it took hours, it's that simple. I admire the folk that do. People waiting in lines for 5 HOURS in some places? That's fucking 3rd world shit.

You would have thought after the total mess last time they would have sorted all this shit by now. What a fucking disgrace.

17000 lawyers waiting in the wings. What in the name of cunt is going on over there?

I'm listening to the guy who redesigned the Florida ballot on the radio and he's all proud. It's a great day to be an American. This is when we show the world how to do democracy. Honestly. You would think the US was the only country in the world that had elections. It would be if they were all run like this.

Cheers!

Shut up you haggis eating, kilt wearing, Nessie hunting bastard. ;)

One thing you have to remember Sesh....the UK isn't much bigger than Texas. Lots more people to get through the polls than what you guys have. Also, if a person is in line at the time the polls close, then they are allowed to vote.

Australia has a penalty for not voting? Now THAT is fucked up. It's our right to vote...and also our right to not vote if we choose. Personally I think everyone should vote, if they care how the country is going to be run. However, I think it should be a choice, and not something you're penalized for. Now if someone doesn't vote and starts complaining about how things are run, I will give them major hell. If you don't vote, you don't have a right to bitch.

ODShowtime
11-02-2004, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by Ally_Kat
Took me only about 5 min -- if that. Walked right up to my district's table, told them my name, signed, and voted.

1:15 PM absolutely no wait. I felt like I won the lottery.

Seshmeister
11-02-2004, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by Brownsound1

One thing you have to remember Sesh....the UK isn't much bigger than Texas. Lots more people to get through the polls than what you guys have. Also, if a person is in line at the time the polls close, then they are allowed to vote.

Australia has a penalty for not voting? Now THAT is fucked up. It's our right to vote...and also our right to not vote if we choose. Personally I think everyone should vote, if they care how the country is going to be run. However, I think it should be a choice, and not something you're penalized for. Now if someone doesn't vote and starts complaining about how things are run, I will give them major hell. If you don't vote, you don't have a right to bitch.

Bullshit!:)

How does it make any difference whether it's 60 million or 260 million votes if you do it in bits?

How do you think your computer works? Some guy woke up and went into work and made it?

Fucking India, which is even more basic than Utah, has 800 million people and they seem to do better these days than the US. Nah fuck sorting out the system let's pay 17 000 lawyers to argue for the next month or two while our country looks like a joke and the stock market tumbles.

On the Australian issue I need some input from our Aussie posters but I'm pretty sure you can just spoil your ballot paper if you want to show your 'right' not to vote.

Anyhoo you get forced onto jury service which can take monnths out of your time why not force people to spend 30 secinds every few years writing "all politicians are cunts" on a piece of paper?

Cheers!

Seshmeister
11-02-2004, 10:51 PM
Oh and now one of you lazy fucking webmasters has turned up, could you get rid of those two spammers please?

Cheers!

ashstralia
11-03-2004, 03:37 AM
Originally posted by Brownsound1

Australia has a penalty for not voting?

yeah, we do. i think it's fifty bucks.
i believe everyone should vote.

frets5150
11-03-2004, 10:17 AM

Cheers!

I was gonna say something simialar we spent about 200 billion dollars
to see if there is life on mars we should have took some of that money
to fix this voting system.In my opinion in stead of only 1 day to vote we should at least have it for 3 days.Then there should not all this media bullshit that's going on 3 differant stations with 3 differant numbers of who's winning.Then let it wait as long as it takes to project a winner.Then have someone say with envelope in hand say and the winner is...like the grammys and announce the winner because this is bullshit already.Don't let anyone know anything until that moment.
Ohh well look's like DUBYA won again but the people will see what a big mistake they made.

Carmine
11-03-2004, 10:23 AM
Frets...that attachment is great! and how very true it is. We are in for it now!

Switch84
11-03-2004, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by BigBadBrian
You're right. I wanted to slap this stupid bitch silly because I had to wait an hour because my last name starts with a K. H thru P had to wait about an hour to vote while others had to wait about 5 minutes. They split the registrar book into three, neglecting the fact that the middle part of the alphabet contains the most surnames for voter verification. :gulp:

:eek: :eek: :eek: SHIT! If I had to vote where you live, I'd still be in line right now; my last name starts with a W!!!!!!!

As fucked up as our system seems, OD's right about us not "needing the armchair quarterbacking" from non-citizens. We'll get it together eventually.

Ally_Kat
11-03-2004, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by frets5150
In my opinion in stead of only 1 day to vote we should at least have it for 3 days.

You are not going to get anybody to volunteer to that. Nor are you going to get employers who are happy to give 3 vacation days in a row for some of the younger pollworkers to go off and do this.

That and the money that they pay here for it isn't worth three days off from work.

bueno bob
11-03-2004, 10:41 AM
It should just be done across the U.S. like they do it in Oregon. We don't get to stand in line for 11+ hours waiting to vote because they just mail us our ballots two weeks in advance. Arletta and myself voted, mailed our envelopes back, and ta da! We're done. Easy as pie and Oregon had all the votes tallied and reported in good time.

Maybe the entire U.S. should follow suit. You'd think it's citizenry would be able to handle their mail well enough so that it wouldn't be a problem.

frets5150
11-03-2004, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by Ally_Kat
You are not going to get anybody to volunteer to that. Nor are you going to get employers who are happy to give 3 vacation days in a row for some of the younger pollworkers to go off and do this.

That and the money that they pay here for it isn't worth three days off from work.

Ok then what do you suggest anything is better than what's going on now...

Carmine
11-03-2004, 10:49 AM

again another great attachment frets!

Ally_Kat
11-03-2004, 10:52 AM

I suggest pollworkers who aren't as old as dirt and are actually willing to learn their job

frets5150
11-03-2004, 10:57 AM
That's a good start.
How about annoucing the winner when and only when they know the answer. You live in ny channels 2-5-7 had all differant information.

Seshmeister
11-03-2004, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by bueno bob
It should just be done across the U.S. like they do it in Oregon. We don't get to stand in line for 11+ hours waiting to vote because they just mail us our ballots two weeks in advance. Arletta and myself voted, mailed our envelopes back, and ta da! We're done. Easy as pie and Oregon had all the votes tallied and reported in good time.

Maybe the entire U.S. should follow suit. You'd think it's citizenry would be able to handle their mail well enough so that it wouldn't be a problem.

One flaw in your plan...:)

http://archives.cnn.com/2000/LAW/scotus/10/02/scotus.cheers.ap/story.scotus.cheers.cliff.jpg

ELVIS
11-03-2004, 11:01 AM
I was the only voter at my polling place at 11:30 yesterday morning...

Ally_Kat
11-03-2004, 11:05 AM
That's a good start.
How about annoucing the winner when and only when they know the answer. You live in ny channels 2-5-7 had all differant information.

So did channel 4, the cable news networks, and the AP. I stuck more with the AP, compared the other numbers coming in, all that type of stuff. Had my mini-newsroom for the evening.

Hell, they waited long and hard to call some states. New Hampshire didn't get called till late I remember. Still waiting for Ohio, New Mexico, and Iowa ;)