PDA

View Full Version : Do you agree with spanking?

Full Bug
01-30-2004, 01:08 PM
This is a interesting debate, for me I am for it as a last resort. sometimes a kid needs that if they are out of control in my view, I hate the people who say spanking does emotional trauma on a child, give me a break, I was spanked the odd time and turned out OK (Well, I guess thats a matter of oponion, lol), anyway the highest court here uphelp it, I agree on that, your thoughts?
===================
Spanking law upheld

OTTAWA (CP) - The Supreme Court of Canada has upheld the so-called spanking law that allows parents to use physical force to discipline children, but has set legal guidelines aimed at ensuring reasonable limits.

In a 6-3 judgment Friday, the court rejected claims that the legislation, first enacted more than a century ago, should be struck down as a violation of children's rights. The ruling offered guidance, however, to help lower-court judges draw the line between acceptable and unacceptable force.

The court indicated, for example, that it would not be reasonable to use corporal punishment for children under age two or for teenagers. Nor would it be reasonable to use implements like rulers or belts, or to strike a child on the face or head.

The general rule, set out by Chief Justice Beverley McLachlin, is that corporal punishment should be legally acceptable must involve only "minor corrective force of a transitory and trifling nature."

At issue was Section 43 of the Criminal Code, the latest version of a federal law that has been on the books in one form or other since 1892.

It provides that parents, teachers and other caregivers cannot be found guilty of assault for physically correcting a child - as long as the force used is "reasonable in the circumstances."

Many people have, in fact, been convicted for going beyond what judges deemed to be reasonable.

But decisions were not always consistent, and opponents of the law argued it was an invitation to excess - whether by abusive parents or by well-meaning ones who simply lost their tempers.

The law was challenged by the Canadian Foundation for Children, Youth and the Law, a Toronto-based children's advocacy group.

The foundation denounced Section 43 as discriminatory, an infringement of children's right to security of the person and a legal endorsement of cruel and unusual punishment.

Joining in the anti-spanking campaign were the Ontario Association of Children's Aid Societies, the Child Welfare League of Canada and other children's rights groups.

The federal Justice Department defended the law but argued it should be read as allowing only "mild to moderate" force.

Government lawyers said parents need some leeway in raising their children and should not be threatened with criminal charges unless discipline crosses the line to abuse.

Backing the federal position were the Coalition for Family Autonomy, a collection of conservative lobby groups, and the Canadian Teachers Federation.

The teachers said they didn't favour corporal punishment, but feared that if the law was overturned they could face charges merely for physically restraining an unruly student.

Flash Bastard
01-30-2004, 02:16 PM
My parents spanked the shit out of me when I was wrong and I turned out fine. But the most powerful punishment I ever got was when I was 14 and my father said he was disappointed in me. That really hurt.

Flash Bastard
01-30-2004, 02:17 PM
However, I don't think the schools should ever be permitted to administer corporal punishment. That's a parent's job.

rustoffa
01-30-2004, 02:18 PM
Belts,switches.......ahhh,the good ol' days.*sigh*

Mr Badguy
01-30-2004, 02:44 PM
Speaking as a father myself, I think spanking is not something that should be banned.

It should be at a parents digression, although I realise that some people do use it as a form of abuse.

Most of society`s problems today are down to the "softly softly" approach on punishment of any sort.

When I was young and you did something wrong to someone, you got a boot up the arse.

If your Dad found out about it, you got another boot in the arse.

I rarely have to raise my hands to my children but I do if I think it is merited.

Full Bug
01-30-2004, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by Mr Badguy

Most of society`s problems today are down to the "softly softly" approach on punishment of any sort.

Yeah, and look at the kids of today, way worse then when I grew up in my view, a kid needs to know boundries, you dont see that much anymore.....

Mr Badguy
01-30-2004, 04:21 PM
Absolutley, and it`s all down to these bleeding hearts who probably don`t know the first thing about raising kids.

I mean, in a perfect world we would never want to spank our kids but the world ain`t perfect.

It`s not as if you do it to be cruel, it is for their own good.

Sometimes it can be the only way to get through.

I don`t know, maybe these "ban spanking" idiots had real bad parents who beat the shit out of them.

If it ever gets banned we`ll all end up in jail.

Sometimes I want to slap ather peoples kids more than I ever do my own, because some people don`t give a shit if their kids go around annoying people and vandalizing property.

I ain`t saying we never did it, but there was always a little bit of respect.

These days there isn`t.

Ally_Kat
01-30-2004, 04:44 PM
i grew to fear the wooden spoon. Then one day I hid the spoon when I knew I was in trouble. Then came Dad's belt. After that, I could deal with the spoon.

Gmoney
01-30-2004, 04:52 PM
Nothing wrong with a little "tough love"!!

alexpgrimes
01-30-2004, 05:02 PM
Now a days people put their kids in time out. Hell my dad used to take time out to whip my ass. I think I turned out ok.

Full Bug
01-30-2004, 05:37 PM
Wow, waiting for the first non-spanking post, surprised it hasnt come yet......

Mr Badguy
01-30-2004, 05:52 PM
If there is one, it probably won`t come from a parent.

This is a great topic, something that needs to be talked about.

BigBadBrian
01-30-2004, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by Ally_Kat
i grew to fear the wooden spoon. Then one day I hid the spoon when I knew I was in trouble. Then came Dad's belt. After that, I could deal with the spoon.

My son hid the wooden spoon from me one day. I went out to the garage and made a paddle out of a 1" x 4" piece of wood. That spoon showed back up PROMPTLY. :D

Elitest
01-30-2004, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by Mr Badguy
Speaking as a father myself, I think spanking is not something that should be banned.

It should be at a parents digression, although I realise that some people do use it as a form of abuse.

When I was young and you did something wrong to someone, you got a boot up the arse.

If your Dad found out about it, you got another boot in the arse.

I rarely have to raise my hands to my children but I do if I think it is merited.

Bang on Nigel!!

I agree entirely
I think this political correctness and non spanking is the reason there are so many evil obnoxious teenagers aboot...:rolleyes:

Full Bug
01-30-2004, 06:17 PM
The interesting thing for me was, If I even talked to my mom in the wrong tone of voice, my dad was right there saying something like "Dont you talk to your mom in that tone of voice!", so it never got to the point of spanking for the most part, I couldnt even raise my voice without being scared of what would happen after, worked for me, if me and my gal are ever able to adopt, thats the same thing I am going to adapt, dont EVER raise your voice to your mother, a thing thats not used enough these days in my view......

Viking
01-30-2004, 07:44 PM
My old man took a hickory switch to me more than once, and in hindsight, it probably kept my ass out of jail - or a grave - in adulthood. Some kids just need their hides tanned when they get out of line.

Full Bug
01-30-2004, 07:54 PM
It kept me out of jail I would think for sure......

rustoffa
01-31-2004, 01:01 AM
you'd know it was coming...like put the beating on the back burner....then reality would set in after you threw the lawn mower in the creek and your friends hauled ass.....