PDA

View Full Version : Edwards Positions Himself for 2008

ELVIS
11-05-2004, 07:45 PM
November 5, 2004

By LIZ SIDOTI, Associated Press Writer (http://www.sierratimes.com/rss/newswire.php?article=/ap/20041105/ap_on_el_pr/edwards_future&time=1099692593&feed=politics)

WASHINGTON - Democrat John Edwards lost the election for the vice presidency this week and will lose his Senate seat in January. But he's hardly going away. He's positioned himself for a full-out presidential run in 2008, a campaign that in a way he's already begun.

For now, though, politics is on hold. His wife, Elizabeth, was diagnosed with breast cancer this week just after Democrat John Kerry and running mate Edwards conceded the race to President Bush .

"Together, our family will beat this," Edwards said on Thursday in a statement that made clear her treatment would be the focus of his immediate future.

Longer range, the North Carolina senator with the good looks, Southern charm, rags-to-riches biography and "tomorrow can be better than today" pitch is in the top rank of candidates expected to compete for the White House in four years.

That's despite his liabilities: He's leaving the Senate after a single term; he has little foreign policy experience; he couldn't deliver his own state or any other in the South for Kerry, despite boasting that "I will beat George Bush in my backyard." But he now has the experience and public exposure of a national campaign.

While Edwards has not announced his intentions, he never has been shy about his presidential aspirations. He introduced Kerry on Wednesday with a speech that could be considered the first of the 2008 contest.

"This campaign may end today, but the battle for you and the hardworking Americans who built this country rages on," Edwards said. "At the end of our heartache today resides an eternal hope for the country we're going to fight for and the country we're going to build together."

Democrats say they expect Edwards to be extremely active in the party, speaking at events, raising money and endearing himself to the rank and file. Campaigning for the nomination years early, in effect.

Another potential 2008 Democratic presidential candidate, Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton of New York, has a large following and plenty of name recognition, too. And, unlike Edwards, the former first lady also has a job that will keep her in the spotlight.

Edwards will be unemployed in January when he leaves the Senate after just six years and a swift rise in politics. He chose not to run for re-election at the same time he was running for the 2004 Democratic presidential nomination as a long-shot candidate.

Barely a blip in primary polls, Edwards fought to counter a perception that he was little more than a pretty face and a gifted speaker. Then he wound up in second place in Iowa.

Eventually, he lost to Kerry but he won the respect of party officials — and the Massachusetts senator — with his ability to raise money and connect with voters with a message of optimism about achieving the American dream.

After the primary season, Edwards campaigned for the vice presidential nomination by traveling the country talking up Kerry and raising money. Kerry asked his Senate colleague to join the ticket, and he campaigned hard to the end.

His advisers and friends say he hasn't spoken to them about his next political move — or his plans in the meantime other than to help his wife heal. They say he was focused on helping Kerry win the White House and didn't dwell on the "what if" during the campaign.

For now, Edwards will see out his Senate term and commute between homes in Washington and Raleigh, N.C. No one expects him to return to the courtroom and his previous profession as a trial lawyer.

Those who know him believe Edwards will become involved with a couple of "worthy causes."

"He'll find some things to make his own and throw himself into to make America a better place," former North Carolina Gov. Jim Hunt said. "He's positioned beautifully for the future. He will have the time and all the opportunity. He will have the forum and he can pick his issues."

And, he can afford to focus entirely on 2008.

A multimillionaire who amassed a fortune as a trial lawyer, Edwards doesn't need a job to pay the bills.

Some Democrats say they believe the party will embrace Southerner Edwards as it did Bill Clinton and Jimmy Carter, considering Tuesday's losses in the White House and in Congress. The only Democrats in recent years to be president were small-town Southerners.

:elvis:

FORD
11-05-2004, 07:51 PM
Prayers and best wishes for John and Elizabeth in this fight against cancer, but Howard Dean will be the next President of the United States. :)

ELVIS
11-05-2004, 07:59 PM
Howard who ??

FORD
11-05-2004, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by ELVIS
Howard who ?? http://www.thespacereview.com/archive/79a.jpg
You know damn well Howard who :D

DEMON CUNT
11-05-2004, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by FORD
Prayers and best wishes for John and Elizabeth in this fight against cancer, but Howard Dean will be the next President of the United States. :)

I agree. Dean would have made a fantastic candidate.

I didn't vote for Kerry because I liked Kerry, I voted against Bush because he is a shitty leader. Everything that George W. Bush touches turns to shit. He has done nothing to push this country forward. The tax cuts for the rich, which many claim as one of his great accomplishments, plunged the country into debt. In the business world this would be considered a failure! Sure, some of you got some beer money out of it, but others (the top 1%) received MILLIONS and MILLIONS and MILLIONS of our money.

I do find the fact that Tom "It's a time for healing" Daschle lost to be pretty funny. I couldn't stand his pussy ass anymore.

ELVIS
11-05-2004, 08:09 PM
The next four years will give way for another republican president, possibly Rudy Giuliani...

Your party is on the decline...

Dean is not electable...

DEMON CUNT
11-05-2004, 08:30 PM
I am not a democrat.

I am someone that does not believe in killing.

I don't think that "morality" means denying people happiness.

I don't think that you can have a war against a concept, such as terrorism. (It's like having a war against jealousy. Impossible and not very insightful.)

I believe that our country is part of a community. We don't have to like other countries, but they desrve our respect as we deserve thiers.

I don't believe that life is all black and white, good vs. evil. Things are a little more complicated than that.

Bush is not electable. That is why he cheats.

Warham
11-05-2004, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by DEMON CUNT
I am not a democrat.

I am someone that does not believe in killing.

I don't think that "morality" means denying people happiness.

I don't think that you can have a war against a concept, such as terrorism. (It's like having a war against jealousy. Impossible and not very insightful.)

I believe that our country is part of a community. We don't have to like other countries, but they desrve our respect as we deserve thiers.

I don't believe that life is all black and white, good vs. evil. Things are a little more complicated than that.

Bush is not electable. That is why he cheats.

No, you are worse than a Democrat. You are a liberal.

DEMON CUNT
11-05-2004, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by Warham
No, you are worse than a Democrat. You are a liberal.

***SIMPLISTIC CONSERVATIVE SLOGAN ALERT!!!***

Ha! Did you learn that from Ann Coulter? Do you have any original thoughts?

Is that supposed to be an insult? How about reading the definition of LIBERAL (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=liberal&r=67).

Warham
11-05-2004, 08:53 PM
From Dictionary.com.

1. A person with liberal ideas or opinions.

Yep, that's you, a liberal.

Warham
11-05-2004, 08:54 PM
When you start to realize that Bush was electable, and start to understand election procedure, maybe I'll have some respect for your opinions. Until then...

FORD
11-05-2004, 08:58 PM
Sammy Hagar would be "electable" if Diebold was for him.

DEMON CUNT
11-05-2004, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by FORD
Sammy Hagar would be "electable" if Diebold was for him.

Totally!

Poor "White and proud" Warham. Lucky for him ignorance isn't painful.

DEMON CUNT
11-05-2004, 09:08 PM
When you start to realize that Bush was electable, and start to understand election procedure, maybe I'll have some respect for your opinions. Until then...

Running away?

Warham
11-05-2004, 09:12 PM
No, I'm still here. Read what I said instead of just copying and pasting and maybe you'll understand.

DaveIsKing
11-06-2004, 10:41 AM
YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRGHGHH HH!!!

I will win Indiana, Iowa, Ohio, Texas, Tennessee....

Then I'll win....Georgia, California, New York, & Alaska....

And then on to Mexico, Russia and France.....

YEAH!!!!!

jhale667
11-06-2004, 02:56 PM
Ah, c'mon...the 'Dean scream' was classic. Even HE makes fun of it now.

jhale667
11-06-2004, 02:57 PM
And, oh yeah...JFK was a 'liberal'....you guys hate him too?

DEMON CUNT
11-06-2004, 04:06 PM
This whole "Liberal" argument is old. Either you care about human life or you don't.

You cannot be against abortion and for killing tousands of Iraqis. Both are killing.

hollywood5150
11-06-2004, 04:58 PM
did we forget 9-11, WE were attacked first. It is called self defense, Much different than abortion.

If people who were responsible had safe sex there wouldnt be a need for abortion.

killing is killing, but this war is self defense, abortion is entirely different. why dont you ask the families of the victims of 9-11, see what they think of the war?

DEMON CUNT
11-07-2004, 02:36 AM
Originally posted by hollywood5150
did we forget 9-11, WE were attacked first. It is called self defense, Much different than abortion.

Self defense? Or revenge.

Killing someone as they attack you is self defense. Invading a country with no connection to the attacker is a war crime.

Your arguments are tiny.

rustoffa
11-07-2004, 02:55 AM
Then there's the whole "manchild" ballyhoo steeped in the leader of the pride killing cubs observations.

And those freaky leopards come in under cover of the night and hang shit in trees!

Warham
11-07-2004, 08:13 AM
Originally posted by DEMON CUNT
Self defense? Or revenge.

Killing someone as they attack you is self defense. Invading a country with no connection to the attacker is a war crime.

Your arguments are tiny.

Your mind is tiny.

DaveIsKing
11-07-2004, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by jhale667
Ah, c'mon...the 'Dean scream' was classic. Even HE makes fun of it now.

Let's see... JFK did a few good things...but his legacy remains:

1) THE BERLIN WALL and THE ADVANCE OF COMMUNISM

2) THE BAY OF PIGS MISERABLE FAILURE

3) THE CUBAN MISSLE "TRADE-OFF" WITH TURKEY (that most Americans don't know about, but think Kennedy strong-armed old Nikita...not so)

4) VIETNAM

Nah, I ain't to crazy about him myself. Overrated....VASTLY.

Switch84
11-07-2004, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by DaveIsKing
Let's see... JFK did a few good things...but his legacy remains:

1) THE BERLIN WALL and THE ADVANCE OF COMMUNISM

2) THE BAY OF PIGS MISERABLE FAILURE

3) THE CUBAN MISSLE "TRADE-OFF" WITH TURKEY (that most Americans don't know about, but think Kennedy strong-armed old Nikita...not so)

4) VIETNAM

Nah, I ain't to crazy about him myself. Overrated....VASTLY.

:D LOL! I agree, plus I wasn't even BORN during his hippie-dip, Marilyn Monroe fuckfest administration!

No WONDER Clitoris, uh I meant CLINTON idolized him!

FORD
11-07-2004, 11:41 AM
One man fucked up the Bay of Pigs and that was CIA agent George Herbert Walker Bush Sr.

That's why he and his hellspawns Jeb and Junior are still obsessed with Cuba, just like they were with Daddy's other huge fuckup, Iraq.

Kennedy took responsibility for the fiasco because that's what leaders do. They own up to mistakes they made or their subordinates made. And that's something Junior doesn't have the slightest clue about.

diamondD
11-07-2004, 11:58 AM
Remind me how they are obsessed again with Cuba???

DEMON CUNT
11-07-2004, 01:13 PM
Your mind is tiny.

Then why do I know more about history and your religion than you do?

I thought you were done with me, COMMANDMENT BREAKER!

Nickdfresh
11-07-2004, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by hollywood5150
did we forget 9-11, WE were attacked first. It is called self defense...why dont you ask the families of the victims of 9-11, see what they think of the war?

Not by Iraq we weren't! Did you, like millions of ignorant American voters, not get that memo!?!:rolleyes:

Switch84
11-07-2004, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh
Not by Iraq we weren't! Did you, like millions of ignorant American voters, not get that memo!?!:rolleyes:

:p Oh, my God, this shit has gotten WAY out of hand. Good thing we're online; in person someone might get killed.

Everybody, REDUCE YOUR RITILIN DOSES!!!!!!

Fuck, I'm going to do laundry...that's less dramatic than this shit.

LMAO