PDA

View Full Version : Motorhead

Matt White
11-08-2004, 10:58 AM
Just wondering if/how many others here appreciate MOTORHEAD as much as I do.
I had heard of them in the early 1980's, due to ACE OF SPADES getting good reviews in the teenybopper metal mags CIRCUS & HIT PARADER. Those 3 crazy bastards looked like they had just escaped from prison! I was a major VAN HALEN & AC/DC fan, so I was slow to check 'em out.
In 1986, I went out drinking(Be responsible kiddies!) with a bud. I brought along my brand new copy of MASTER OF PUPPETS and I was geeked to let my bro check 'em out. Little did I know that he had the MOTORHEAD compilation NO REMORSE!
KILLED BY DEATH, ACE OF SPADES, OVERKILL, BOMBER, IRON FIST. It blew my fucking mind.
I then rushed out to buy the latest MOTORHEAD release, ORGASMATRON! It was a quantum leap for the band. No longer just a Booze, babes, and SPEED band(not that there's anything wrong with those three!!!) Lemmy began to tackle darker material such as the title track, which would lead to his concept record 1913.
Seen 'em twice live. In the early 90's, on this metal package tour with Judas Priest & Alice Cooper. Then at HARPO's in Detroit(a notorious club). They were unbelievably LOUD!!! A truly great fucking band!!!
Anybody else dig 'em?!?

Shaun Ponsonby
11-08-2004, 12:05 PM
I fucking love MOTORHEAD. I've seen them in Manchester for 2 years on the bounce (2002/2003) and I'm seeing them again on Wednesday at the Liverpool Academy. They Kick A LOT of ASS! I'm Actually watching the Boneshaker DVD as we speak. Has anyone heard their new album (Inferno). Definately their best album since Ace Of Spades. Icidently, the album is called 1916, not 1913- and it isn't a concept album.

Matt White
11-08-2004, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by Shaun Ponsonby
I fucking love MOTORHEAD. I've seen them in Manchester for 2 years on the bounce (2002/2003) and I'm seeing them again on Wednesday at the Liverpool Academy. They Kick A LOT of ASS! I'm Actually watching the Boneshaker DVD as we speak. Has anyone heard their new album (Inferno). Definately their best album since Ace Of Spades. Icidently, the album is called 1916, not 1913- and it isn't a concept album.

HAHA!!! 1916, GOOD WORK!
The song 1916 is about WWI. "A concept Album" for MOTORHEAD! Some of Lemmy's best lyrics. He is proud of that one!
Ever read "WHITE LINE FEVER"? Excellent!
Are they still playing so FUCKING loud?!? LOL I remember the local news saying they had broke the world record(it's since been rebroken) for LOUDEST BAND. Painfully good!

bueno bob
11-11-2004, 01:57 PM
Motorhead is BAD ASS, I say...Lemmy reminds me of my grandfather in a lot of ways, actually :)

Loudest concert I've ever seen!

scottydabodi
11-11-2004, 02:36 PM
MOTORFUCKINGHEAD RULES!!! "No Class" is the ULTIMATE TUNE!!! Lemmy will knock ANYONE out in a bar fight, and they are so fucking loud live that I almost died!! Mikkey Dee in the band is fucking BRILLIANT!! Great drummer!! What a kick ass band!!

Panamark
11-11-2004, 03:40 PM
Going against the grain (sorta) I never really dug their music. I too had heard Killed by Death and Ace of Spades. But being the Metal
Maniac I was, I attended a show organised for teenagers at a roller
skating rink in Melbourne. (I was a teenager at the time). The gig
was cool, and the band members actually talked to a lot of the kids
afterwards. I actually had a nice old chat with Lemmy. Seriously,
a really nice bloke. Actually I could imagine he would be a good
dude to have a few drinks with..

Im still not into their music, but the show was good, and they were
great blokes.. So I like em, and I dont.. (If thats possible) :)

I always found their style of metal a little uninspiring as a guitarist.
But hey, its hard rock, so it still shits all over 95% of whats played
on the radio these days..

loss of fools
11-11-2004, 05:54 PM
i love motorhead. going to see them for the second time i about two weeks.

Mr Badguy
11-11-2004, 06:26 PM
Man, I`ve loved Motorhead since I saw them playing "Ace of spades" on "The young ones" in 1984.

My first experience of heavy metal and I loved it.

Louder than fuck, live!

Rock n fuckin` roll!

rustoffa
11-11-2004, 09:05 PM
Motorhead is rock and roll.

"No sleep 'til hammersmith" is an underrated live album, IMO.

Anyone read Lemmy's book? I haven't, but by all accounts it's pretty good.

http://img28.exs.cx/img28/4708/lemmy.jpg

Matt White
11-11-2004, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by Mr Badguy
Man, I`ve loved Motorhead since I saw them playing "Ace of spades" on "The young ones" in 1984.

My first experience of heavy metal and I loved it.

Louder than fuck, live!

Rock n fuckin` roll!

:D
"MOTORHEAD is in the living room".
"So they are".
Brilliant show.

scottydabodi
11-11-2004, 11:38 PM
ACE OF SPADES in the living room... just fucking genius...

Shaun Ponsonby
11-12-2004, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by Matt White

Ever read "WHITE LINE FEVER"? Excellent!
Are they still playing so FUCKING loud?!? LOL

Yes, I have read White Line Fever-I like it more than Crazy From The Heat

Yes, they are playing as loud as ever. On Wednesday the venue's windows were shaking like fuck. It's now Friday and my ears are still not fully recovered.

Shaun Ponsonby
11-12-2004, 12:00 PM
The setlist was actually quite strange on Wed;

Dr Rock (Never opened with)
I Got Mine (Ain't played for about 20 years/Robbo-era)
Shoot You In The Back
No Class
Love Me Like A Reptile (Never played)
Killers (new)
Metropolis
Dancing On Your Grave (ain't played for about 20 years-Robbo-era_
Stay Clean (ain't played for about 5 years)
In The Name Of Tragedy (new)
Over The Top
Sacrifice
R.A.M.O.N.E.S.
Life's A Bitch (new)
Just Cos You Got The Power (ain't played for about 20 years)
Going To Brazil
Killed By Death
Iron Fist

*ENCORES*
Whorehouse Blues (acoustic?-shocked me, but was actually quite good/new)
Ace Of Spades
Overkill

saint
11-12-2004, 10:35 PM
I used to listen to them all the time when I was younger in the early 80’ies. First song I heard was Ace Of Spades, and after that there where no other band for me for a couple of years. Before that I used to listen to Sweet and stuff like that but Motorhead really blow me away. The first album I bougt was another perfect day from which I pick my fav. track I Got Mine. The best Motorhead album to me is Ace Of Spades. I had a band back than and we played a couple of Motorhead songs Killed By Death, Overkill and Stone Dead Forever. I only saw them once in the mid 80’ies DAMN they where loud. The last record I bought with them was Orgasmatron, cool lyrics or maybe I didn’t understand the language until then? I really don’t know why I stopped listen to them, but recently I have been downloading some of their more recent stuff 1916 => and it’s great.

Matt White
11-12-2004, 11:29 PM
I love the KILLED BY DEATH video that is recreation of the classic British Horror/Biker movie PSYCHOMANIA. BRILLIANT FILM & VIDEO!!!

Mr Badguy
11-13-2004, 04:46 AM
The setlist was actually quite strange on Wed;

Dr Rock (Never opened with)
I Got Mine (Ain't played for about 20 years/Robbo-era)
Shoot You In The Back
No Class
Love Me Like A Reptile (Never played)
Killers (new)
Metropolis
Dancing On Your Grave (ain't played for about 20 years-Robbo-era_
Stay Clean (ain't played for about 5 years)
In The Name Of Tragedy (new)
Over The Top
Sacrifice
R.A.M.O.N.E.S.
Life's A Bitch (new)
Just Cos You Got The Power (ain't played for about 20 years)
Going To Brazil
Killed By Death
Iron Fist

*ENCORES*
Whorehouse Blues (acoustic?-shocked me, but was actually quite good/new)
Ace Of Spades
Overkill

Wot no "Bomber"?

Actually, that`s quite a good set.

I wonder if they`re making a new live album?

I`d love to hear them play more recent stuff, though.

How about "I don`t believe a word", "Burner" or "Brave new world" to name a few.

The new stuff is great.

Shaun Ponsonby
11-13-2004, 07:12 AM
They haven't done bomber since 2002. and I don't think they're doing a new live album-the last one (Live At Brixton-the 25th anniversary show) only came out last November.

Mr Badguy
11-13-2004, 07:56 AM
I wasn`t crazy about "Live at Brixton".

I haven`t got the full concert on audio as I got the DVD/CD "Boneshaker", which has almost the full concert on the CD.

They should have had more ex-Motorhead members and less people who had shit all to do with Motorhead like that guy out of Skunk anansie or that bird from Skew Siskin.

Brian May?

He`ll jam with anybody, but having him play "Overkill" was ludicrous.

And letting Lemmy and Phil`s sons play on "Killed by death" was the height of self indulgence.

"No sleep `til Hammersmith" it ain`t.

Anyhow, isn`t it traditional for Motorhead to release a live album every year, authorized by the band or not?

Shaun Ponsonby
11-13-2004, 08:20 AM
It would have been best if they would have done it more like the Tenth, wouldn't it?

Can you actually buy that on DVD? I know there is a VHS but it's hard to find.

Mr Badguy
11-13-2004, 10:24 AM
What you mean "The birthday party"?

Yes, I think I`ve seen it in ebay, although I`m not sure if it is an "official" DVD.

I`ve got the album on cassette (minus "Overkill" and "Stay clean") and it`s killer, but it`s hard to come by on CD.

I think everyone who was in Motorhead up `til that point was at that gig, all they had at Brixton was "Fast" Eddie Clarke.

Shaun Ponsonby
11-13-2004, 10:57 AM
Maybe they'll do something better for the 30th next year. An all day-er, with guests like Judas Priest or Metallica or Velvet Revolver (actually, Slash played solos on 'You Better Run' and 'Ain't No Nice Guy' on March Or Die. The latter also featuring Ozzy). They could do it at Wembley Arena or Something.

smaz
11-13-2004, 01:37 PM
I haven't heard much Motorhead, but I like what I've heard.

Also, I went on a skiing trip with my school back in Feb to Canada. When we were back in London at the airport, I saw Lemmy in a queue waiting for the lift. Didn't speak to him 'coz we had to go :(

Atomic_Rob
11-14-2004, 05:18 PM
Love the band, I'm takin 3/4 of my band to see em in just under 2 weeks.

I am desperately tryin to sell a ticket for there Hammersmith show on the 27th November, no one wants it so I will try here. Its standing, and the reason I have it is because bass player and his girlfriend decided he didnt want it. PM me if interested.
Cheers
Rob

smaz
11-14-2004, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by Atomic_Rob
the reason I have it is because bass player and his girlfriend decided he didnt want it.

More like --> I <-- decided I didn't particulary wanna go.... And you have it 'coz Stu didn't wanna go, it was his ticket.

Reverberator
11-14-2004, 06:47 PM
I saw Motorhead on the Iron fist tour of the U K in 1982 at Birmingham Odeon .

Fast Eddie et al.

I was only 13 and I tell you , my ears were ringing for days .

WolfStar999
11-15-2004, 08:55 AM
I saw Motorhead live when they came to San Antonio on tour with Dio and Iron Maiden...100% High-Octane Ozone Hostile Balls-to-the-wall screw on the floor and break shit ROCK & ROLL, MOTHER-FUCKER!!!

:killer: :killer: :killer: :killer: :killer: :killer: :killer: :killer: :killer:

'On your feet you feel the beat, it goes straight to your spine- shake your head you must be dead if it don't make you fly'- the lyrics to "Overkill" just sum up Motorhead perfectly- they shake you down to the very core of your existence. That rhythm section- Mikky Dee's drum assault and Lemmy's pounding bass style really make you move- whether you want to or not! Add on to that the fact that Lemmy is one of the single best lyricists and singers ever- any doubters just need to listen to songs like "Live to Win", "1916", "No Class", "Vibrator", "I Ain't No Nice Guy", "Born to Lose"...the list goes on and on with no end in sight!

BORN TO LOSE, BUT WE LIVE TO WIN! LONG LIVE MOTORHEAD!!!!

Shaun Ponsonby
11-15-2004, 11:06 AM
Shoot 'Em Down is actually a Twisted Sister song, I'll have you know-they did it on a tribute album, in case you didn't know

Matt White
11-15-2004, 11:24 AM
1971 British film PSYCHOMANIA. When Lemmy rides out of the grave in the KILLED BY DEATH video, i laughed my ass off! He remembered this cult favorite!

Atomic_Rob
11-15-2004, 12:59 PM
For a start you don't actually like Motorhead so why are you posting in this thread? Anything to look good in front of the Army eh Smaz?

WolfStar999
11-15-2004, 02:37 PM
Shoot 'Em Down is actually a Twisted Sister song, I'll have you know-they did it on a tribute album, in case you didn't know

I do know that- it was on the "Twisted Forever" tribute- lots of crap covers, but Motorhead's version of "Shoot 'Em Down" and Sebastian Bach's "You Can't Stop Rock n' Roll" were a couple of real keepers. I also have all of Twisted Sisters albums...why nit-pick over what I'm currently playing???

Atomic_Rob
11-15-2004, 03:01 PM
Motorhead's cover of the Ramones song R.A.M.O.N.E.S is fuckin fantastic. Anyone else agree?

smaz
11-15-2004, 03:39 PM
For a start you don't actually like Motorhead so why are you posting in this thread? Anything to look good in front of the Army eh Smaz?

When the fuck have I said I don't like Motorhead? I like 'em but not enough to pay £30 to go see them.

Shaun Ponsonby
11-15-2004, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by WolfStar999
why nit-pick over what I'm currently playing???

I just like showing my vast amount of rock/musical knowledge to people I don't know

Shaun Ponsonby
11-15-2004, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by smaz
I like 'em but not enough to pay £30 to go see them.

I think the tickets are actually £19.50 from the venue-they are everywhere else

Shaun Ponsonby
11-15-2004, 04:39 PM
Motorhead's cover of the Ramones song R.A.M.O.N.E.S is fuckin fantastic. Anyone else agree?

It's not a Ramones song-it's a TRIBUTE to Lemmy's mates. Lemmy wrote it. It just happens to be called R.A.M.O.N.E.S.

Atomic_Rob
11-15-2004, 05:14 PM
Ok, sorry my bad. Still a fuckin great song tho...

By the time you've added bookin fee and postage it comes out to nearly £30.

"I don't like Motorhead that much" "oh yeah Rob, Gaz doesn't like Motorhead that much to go see them"

smaz
11-15-2004, 05:50 PM
"I don't like Motorhead that much"

When did I say that???

Atomic_Rob
11-15-2004, 05:54 PM
When you and Jenna told me you didnt wanna go

smaz
11-15-2004, 06:06 PM
When you and Jenna told me you didnt wanna go

I said I don't like them enough to pay £30 to see 'em. £30 to spend on a band when you've only heard 3-4 of their songs ain't worth it to me. And I've no idea what Jenna said, but all I said to her was I didn't wanna go - not worth it to me.

Atomic_Rob
11-15-2004, 06:28 PM
Whatever, your loss

Shaun Ponsonby
11-17-2004, 10:49 AM
Definatley his fucking loss. You ain't lived til you've seen Motorhead!!!

WolfStar999
11-17-2004, 04:19 PM
I just like showing my vast amount of rock/musical knowledge to people I don't know

Sounds like jack-assery to me...

Mr Badguy
11-18-2004, 08:34 AM

LOL!

:monekyr:

Shaun Ponsonby
11-18-2004, 11:04 AM
It's fuckin good for my age. My dad can't even beat me at a rock quiz-this is a 42 year old guy who has been a huge rock fan for some 30 years.

A couple of people-and this ain't bullshit-have actually said to me;
"I always thought I was a rock fan before I met you-now, I can see that I just like it a bit".
(or something along those lines)

Anyway-we're kinda going off the subject here...Ignore everything I just said-and let's get back to our original discussion...Motorhead-Do they rock like bastards or not?

Mr Badguy
11-18-2004, 01:30 PM
"I always thought I was a rock fan before I met you-now, I can see that I just like it a bit".

Total jackassery!

:asshole:

Shaun Ponsonby
11-18-2004, 02:13 PM
Better an asshole than a Nazi.

So, any way-Motorhead are great.

Mr Badguy
11-18-2004, 02:34 PM

What?

You mean you`re saying you posted THIS and expected everyone to agree?

"I always thought I was a rock fan before I met you-now, I can see that I just liked it a bit".

You don`t find that even a smidgeon pompous.

No self respecting rock fan would say that to anyone, never mind a 16 year old boy.

Do you think we were born yesterday?

WolfStar999
11-18-2004, 05:20 PM
Better an asshole than a Nazi.

So, any way-Motorhead are great.

I said JACKass, not assHOLE.
The animal, not the orifice.
But yeah, Motorhead rules.

Shaun Ponsonby
11-19-2004, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by WolfStar999
I said JACKass, not assHOLE.
The animal, not the orifice.
But yeah, Motorhead rules.

I was referring to Mr. badguy's little smiley gun-shooting guy.

And, I will admitt that was supposed to be an over the top, 'yeah, as if this really happened', sarcastic comment. You probably didn't get that in writing, though, eh?

WolfStar999
11-22-2004, 06:18 AM
Hey Matt. Like your Vampire Hunter D avatar- hats off to your impeccable taste!