PDA

View Full Version : Howard Dean's daughter injured in car wreck

diamondD
11-08-2004, 11:57 AM
Howard Dean's daughter injured in wreck
Monday, November 8, 2004 Posted: 8:02 AM EST (1302 GMT)

NORTH HAVEN, Connecticut (AP) -- The daughter of former Democratic presidential hopeful Howard Dean and four other young women were taken to a hospital Sunday after their sport utility vehicle rolled over on Interstate 91, state police said.

Anne Dean, 20, was treated and released from Yale-New Haven Hospital, said a hospital spokeswoman, who would not describe the nature of any of the women's injuries.

State police said Mona El Sayed, 17, of Tinton Falls, New Jersey, was the driver of the Ford SUV, which is owned by Howard Dean. The hospital spokeswoman said El Sayed was still being evaluated Sunday night.

The three other women -- Betty Townsend, 18, Eliza Berman, 19, and Catherine Hillin, 19, were all treated and released.

Anne Dean is a junior at Yale University. Broadcast reports said the women were apparently returning to Yale from Vermont, where the Dean family lives.

State police said the vehicle was traveling southbound on I-91 in North Haven when it drifted onto the grass median, moved back into the left lane and spun out of control before rolling over in the median.

Guitar Shark
11-08-2004, 12:01 PM
Let me get this straight. Howard Dean -- the self-proclaimed environmentalist -- owns an SUV???

diamondD
11-08-2004, 12:03 PM
Spin that one FORD! :D

Switch84
11-08-2004, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by Guitar Shark
Let me get this straight. Howard Dean -- the self-proclaimed environmentalist -- owns an SUV???

:rolleyes: :D The stench of hypocrisy is stifling, folks.........

FORD
11-08-2004, 12:23 PM
Hey, it's a reasonable family vehicle for a rural state.

Prayers for the Dean family.:angel:

Ally_Kat
11-08-2004, 12:23 PM

you don't understand though -- they were car pooling! :D

FORD
11-08-2004, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by Ally_Kat
you don't understand though -- they were car pooling! :D

Look at it this way....

Nobody is a bigger environmentalist than Jesus Christ, right?

Let's say there had been motor vehicles back then. Jesus had at least 12 guys travelling with him at all times. Would it make more sense for them to drive in 3 seperate vehicles, or everybody pile into one FORD Excursion?

Get the oil industry out of the fucking White House and then some actual progress can be made on fuel efficiency.

diamondD
11-08-2004, 12:39 PM
I knew you would try, but isn't the lib manta that SUVs are bad for the enviroment? Or is it more of the "do as I say, not as I do" policy?

You can bet that one will bite him if he even begins to think of running again.

FORD
11-08-2004, 12:44 PM
Any engine that burns fossil fuels and spews exhaust into the air is bad for the environment. Where SUV's are truly bad is when they are used as single occupancy vehicles in urban commuting. THAT is what's absolutely immoral and unneccessary.

Guitar Shark
11-08-2004, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by FORD
Where SUV's are truly bad is when they are used as single occupancy vehicles in urban commuting. THAT is what's absolutely immoral and unneccessary.

Don't you drive a big truck, FORD? Same thing.

diamondD
11-08-2004, 12:51 PM
What the hell else can he fit in? ;)

FORD
11-08-2004, 12:51 PM
Don't you drive a big truck, FORD? Same thing.

I don't drive to work.

Guitar Shark
11-08-2004, 12:52 PM
I don't drive to work.

Probably because you're unemployed... ;)

Way to dodge the issue btw. :)

FORD
11-08-2004, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by diamondD
What the hell else can he fit in? ;)

That's a valid point. Obviously sub compact egg crates aren't an option for me. Supposedly hybrid engines are on the way for larger vehicles, and it will be welcome technology.

John Ashcroft
11-08-2004, 12:54 PM
Dean doesn't own an SUV, his family does...

FORD
11-08-2004, 12:57 PM
Probably because you're unemployed... ;)

Way to dodge the issue btw. :)

No, I'm not unemployed. Unless RoSSi won the governor's race - then I probably will be soon enough :(

No, I don't drive to work because I live about a mile from the office. Which means I can walk when the weather's good and take the bus when it isn't. And in the winter, it would take more time to defrost the windows than it would to actually drive to work, so what's the point?

diamondD
11-08-2004, 12:58 PM
Actually Dave, I'm just messing with you. I can't stand small cars either. I commute daily in my SUV by myself for about 45 miles each way. I'm probably going back to a car next year since my gas-burning boat isn't having to get hauled around any more and stays at the lake.

Guitar Shark
11-08-2004, 01:00 PM
Actually Dave, I'm just messing with you.

Me too, I drive a fuel efficient Acura but also own a 5.9L Durango, one of the least efficient SUV's out there.

ELVIS
11-08-2004, 01:00 PM
How far is Canada on the bus, FORD ??

ELVIS
11-08-2004, 01:02 PM
I commute daily in my SUV by myself for about 45 miles each way.

OH MY GOD NOOOO !!!

diamondD
11-08-2004, 01:07 PM
I know, I know, it's terrible all the gas taxes I have to pay. But I rest easy knowing how much I keep the economy moving along.

Imagine how bad it'll be when I get my 8-cylinder Hemi! :D

FORD
11-08-2004, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by ELVIS
How far is Canada on the bus, FORD ??

If I go to Canada, I drive. And actually, they got this kick ass 94 octane 10% ethanol fuel up there, so it's more effecient driving anyway :)

TLR
11-08-2004, 08:48 PM
Any engine that burns fossil fuels and spews exhaust into the air is bad for the environment. Where SUV's are truly bad is when they are used as single occupancy vehicles in urban commuting. THAT is what's absolutely immoral and unneccessary.

That's a boatload of shit. I'm IMMORAL because of the vehicle I choose to drive? Ok, that sounds not only good, but highly rational as well.

Dr. Love
11-08-2004, 09:27 PM
Spin that one FORD! :D

Too late, looks like Dean's daughter beat him to it. ;)