PDA

View Full Version : U2 How to Pirate an Atomic Bomb

Nickdfresh
11-08-2004, 09:33 PM
Pirated U2 album hits Internet

Illicit copies available on file-sharing networks throw official release of new album into question.
November 8, 2004: 3:54 PM EST

LONDON (Reuters) - Pirated versions of U2's new album "How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb" have emerged on Internet file-sharing networks two weeks before it goes on sale, throwing into question its official release date.

A London spokeswoman for the band on Monday would only say that U2 was aware of the illicit copies, but that no decision had yet been made on changing the release date.

The Irish rock band has been due to release the album on Nov. 22 in Europe and the following day in the United States. It is the first studio album in four years for the band signed to Island Records, a unit of Universal Music.

Earlier this summer, a tape containing rough tracks from the upcoming album went missing from a studio in Nice, France where the band was recording. At the time, the band said it might move the release date if the tracks appear online first.

The online appearance of unsanctioned versions of an album before the official release has dogged many music acts.

Record labels fight back by sending copy-proof promotional copies to radio stations and journalists, and hiring firms to flood file-sharing networks with "spoof" tracks with poor sound quality, which crowd out better-sounding pirated versions.

"With any major release, the record companies start about a week in advance flooding the networks. That way users are more likely to download a spoofed copy," said Jim Graham, a spokesman for California-based online piracy tracking firm BayTSP.

"But over time, the pirated versions win out. It's very cat and mouse. It's like the Cold War," he added.

In the past month, release dates for American rap artist Eminem and hip-hop star Snoop Dogg, both signed to Universal's Interscope Records, have been pushed forward by a few days due to the appearance of pirated tracks online.

Copyright 2004 Reuters All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

http://money.cnn.com/2004/11/08/technology/u2_piracy.reut/index.htm?cnn=yes

pete
11-08-2004, 09:42 PM
I'll be buying it.

Awesome album and the special edition comes with a DVD and 45 page hardcover booklet.

Vertigo is the worst song on it. (and I love it!!!)

FORD
11-08-2004, 10:31 PM
No question that I'll be buying the album the day it's released. But that doesn't mean I won't enjoy it in the mean time.

pete
11-08-2004, 10:38 PM
I'm a fan from the beginning and I'm feeling this could be their best so far.

Makes me want to quit making music.

I haven't heard anything this ambitious in a long time.

My favorite since Unforgettable Fire.

WACF
11-08-2004, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by FORD
No question that I'll be buying the album the day it's released. But that doesn't mean I won't enjoy it in the mean time.

You won't be the only one...

pete
11-08-2004, 10:48 PM
"some people get squahed crossing the tracks
some people got high-rises on their backs
I'm not broke but you can. see the cracks
You can make me perfect again

All because of you"

High Life Man
11-08-2004, 11:36 PM
Just got a listen of it tonight.

It's good.

FORD
11-09-2004, 12:36 AM
Actually the "leakers" at Interscope are slipping. I had the last album "All That You Can't Leave Behind" a full 6 weeks ahead of it's release date.

Rebel
11-11-2004, 01:30 PM
I guess I'm old school, but I don't wanna download it. I wanna upwrap it and put it in the player and take it in, I can't wait.

Nickdfresh
11-11-2004, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by pete
I'll be buying it.

Awesome album and the special edition comes with a DVD and 45 page hardcover booklet.

Vertigo is the worst song on it. (and I love it!!!)

DITTO! But why does it take this long to release the fucking CD?!

The disc should sound great with the high-resolution stuff.

Nickdfresh
11-11-2004, 08:50 PM
Rumor goin' around that it might be released a week earlier than Nov. 23rd.

pete
11-11-2004, 09:14 PM
After a week I have to say they have created a masterpiece.

If you're picasso, your best shit comes out when your 80. In rock music it doesn't apply.

This album is awesome.