PDA

View Full Version : Ashcroft "retires"

Nickdfresh
11-11-2004, 06:13 AM
Ashcroft retires and is replaced by this guy. I hoped he designs better security legislation than the euphemistic piece of anti-American shit "The Patriot Act." But with his track record of bad "legal advice," I won't get my hopes up. We'll watch him closely--before he watches us closely.

cnn.com

Bush attorney general pick is Alberto Gonzales
Will replace Ashcroft if confirmed by Senate
Wednesday, November 10, 2004 Posted: 6:45 PM EST (2345 GMT)

President Bush and Alberto Gonzales

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- President Bush on Wednesday nominated his White House legal counsel, Alberto Gonzales, to be the next U.S. attorney general, replacing John Ashcroft.

"His sharp intellect and sound judgment have helped shape our policies in the war on terror," Bush said at the White House on Wednesday afternoon.

"He always gives me his frank opinion; he is a calm and steady voice in times of crisis. He has an unwavering principle of respect for the law."

Gonzales said the day was one of "conflicting emotions." He said if confirmed he would miss interacting with the members of the White House staff on a daily basis.

"I will work hard to build upon [Ashcroft's] record," he said.

In a news release, Sen. Charles Schumer, D-New York, said, "It's encouraging that the president has chosen someone less polarizing. We will have to review his record very carefully, but I can tell you already he's a better candidate than John Ashcroft."

Gonzales, a former Texas Supreme Court justice appointed by then-Gov. Bush, was named White House counsel in January 2001. He had also served as Texas' secretary of state.

More conservative Republicans, however, have found some of Gonzales' relatively moderate votes on the Texas Supreme court troubling, including a majority vote not requiring some teenage girls to get parental permission for an abortion.

In his opinion on the ruling, Gonzales wrote, "While the ramifications of such a law may be personally troubling to me as a parent, it is my obligation as a judge to impartially apply the laws of this state without imposing my moral view on the decisions of the legislature."

Gonzales told associates at the time he felt the complaints about the memo -- written in January 2002 -- were taken out of context.

The memo warned Bush administration officials that they could be held accountable for "war crimes" if they did not agree with the conclusion of Justice Department attorneys that the Geneva Conventions do not apply to al Qaeda and Taliban detainees held at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.

Gonzales' memo was a result of the State Department's request that Bush reconsider his decision to follow the Justice Department conclusion.

If confirmed as attorney general, Gonzales will be the first Hispanic American to hold the Cabinet position.

Bush received Ashcroft's handwritten resignation letter a week ago, but did not formally accept the attorney general's resignation until this week.

The president praised the outgoing attorney general as "another superb public servant."

During his nearly four-year tenure as the nation's chief law enforcement officer, Ashcroft "reorganized the Department of Justice to meet the new threat of terrorism," Bush said. "He fairly and forcefully applied the Patriot Act and helped to dismantle terror cells inside the United States."

Sen. Patrick Leahy, D-Vermont, the judiciary committee's ranking Democrat, wrote in a news release, "I like and respect Judge Gonzales and look forward to our committee's consideration of his nomination.

"The Justice Department in the first Bush term was the least accountable Justice Department in my lifetime. Meaningful oversight and accountability were thwarted for years. We will be looking to see if Judge Gonzales intends to change that."

Ashcroft's resignation will become effective upon confirmation of Gonzales, Justice Department officials said.

Ashcroft, a former senator and two-term governor of Missouri, garnered criticism as attorney general on issues like the Patriot Act, which backers say helps the government in its fight against terrorism and critics say infringes on civil liberties.

Ashcroft was treated for gallstone pancreatitis in March, and his recovery kept him out of the office for nearly a month. In his handwritten resignation letter, dated November 2, he told Bush the job has been "both rewarding and depleting." (Text of resignation letter)

"I believe that the Department of Justice would be well served by new leadership and fresh inspiration," he said.

CNN's Tom Watkins contributed to this report

BigBadBrian
11-11-2004, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh
Ashcroft retires and is replaced by this guy. I hoped he designs better security legislation than the euphemistic piece of anti-American shit "The Patriot Act."

Gee, that's funny. The vast majority of the Patriot Act was fashioned during the Clinton Administration. It was simply put to a vote and into legislative action after 9/11.

:gulp:

Nickdfresh
11-11-2004, 08:27 AM
Actually, Ashcroft has exceeded the mandate and wording of it. Plus the whole thing is a clusterfuck administratively. I.E.-if you are wrongly put a terrorist watch list, it is almost impossble to get off and there is no explanation as to why or how you got on there.

Denny
11-11-2004, 09:19 AM
Actually, Ashcroft has exceeded the mandate and wording of it. Plus the whole thing is a clusterfuck administratively. I.E.-if you are wrongly put a terrorist watch list, it is almost impossble to get off and there is no explanation as to why or how you got on there.

FORD should be on that fucking list.

FORD
11-11-2004, 09:19 AM
The fact that this guy apparently endorsed the torture at Abu Ghraib and Gitmo is very troubling, but not surprising from the BCE.

Denny
11-11-2004, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by FORD
The fact that this guy apparently endorsed the torture at Abu Ghraib and Gitmo is very troubling, but not surprising from the BCE.

At least they are doing something about the Terrorists.

aesop
11-11-2004, 09:27 AM
Much of this election was about whether people thought there wouldn't have been another post-9/11 attack if the Libs were running the show. No doubt about it.

Personally I believe that if, for example, hate monger Nancy Pelosi or Hillary Rodham would've been president we'd have seen many more Americans dead.

As soon as most rationale Americans heard Kerry talk about 'reaching out to the world community', the election was over.

FORD
11-11-2004, 09:30 AM
Yeah, let's continue to live in fear of imaginary terrorists. That will solve everything :rolleyes:

aesop
11-11-2004, 09:46 AM
It's only imaginary, because there hasn't been another terrorist attack since 9/11. Beleive me, it hasn't been for a lack of intent.

WTF, you can't win with you people. You'd be saying he was incompetent and unfit for office if another attack had taken place. There wasn't, but in that case, you say threat was 'immaginary'!!!. Then, when you lose those 2 arguements, you come back and say the threat was real, and the Bush government was incompetent for not stopping the WTC attack, even though the Slickster did nothing about it (who had 8 F'ING years and numerous attacks aginst America and her allies under his watch), and it was W's first 6 months in office!

It just shows that you people are driven by hate and dissillusionment and are actually quite unstable.

FORD
11-11-2004, 09:57 AM
Al Qaeda began as a CIA operation under the supervision of George Bush Sr. Bin Laden has been associated with the BCE for over 30 years. I would say the odds of them still working for the BCE are at least 50/50.

Probably about the only thing that might have damaged the Bush/Bin Laden family relationship would be if the Bin Ladens suspected BCE involvement in the plane crash death of older brother Salem Bin Laden. And if that were the case, then surely Osama would have mentioned it in one of his alleged videos detailing his litany of complaints against "Great Satan".

aesop
11-11-2004, 09:59 AM
Yep... driven by hate and dissillusionment and are actually quite unstable.

LoungeMachine
11-11-2004, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by Denny

Congratulations.

You have just become a bigger moronic dolt than katydid, and every other mouth breather to ever darken this place.

Thanks for the post. The mens room needs more paper towels, get on it, will ya?

fucking idiot

Nickdfresh
11-11-2004, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by Denny

By adopting British style "H-Block" techniques that alienated the Iraqi people and made us look like complete fucking scumbags to the rest of the world?!? I am not against the very selective use of hard-cell interrogation techniques against terrorists, but what they did at Abu Ghraib prison was just disgusting.

Nickdfresh
11-11-2004, 12:47 PM
Leiutenent General Michael Collins, Ireland's Greatest potential leader murdered by moronic IRA traitors!

Big Train
11-11-2004, 01:21 PM
I just find it interesting that he picks a Latino (or more or less had no choice politically) to do the dirty work of attempting to shore up the southern border. In this way, libs CAN"t call the guy a racist, closing down the borders to his own people.

Mezro
11-11-2004, 02:05 PM
Bush attorney general pick is Alberto Gonzales

Well, at least Taco Bell will be a safer place for us all:rolleyes:

Mezro...Alberto V05...

BigBadBrian
11-11-2004, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by LoungeMachine
Congratulations.

You have just become a bigger moronic dolt than katydid, and every other mouth breather to ever darken this place.

Thanks for the post. The mens room needs more paper towels, get on it, will ya?

fucking idiot

It's November. Glad to see you found your way back here. :gulp:

LoungeMachine
11-11-2004, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by BigBadBrian
It's November. Glad to see you found your way back here. :gulp:

Thanks B3

Good to see both you AND BT sitting up straight and taking solid foods again:D

Time for a little progressive liberal cleansing here on my part

1] I always knew you guys were right, and that JFK the sequel would fall short. But ya gotta fight anyway.

2] I secretly hoped for a shrub repeat, just to watch the fireworks.

Beware the second term...........

Warham
11-11-2004, 03:52 PM
If bin Laden has been working for the BCE for 30 years, that would mean he started when he was a teenager. Hell, Dubya didn't even start working for the BCE until he got out of Harvard in his late twenties. A far fetched theory methinks.

Loki
11-12-2004, 11:42 AM
retires? haw haw. by the girth of volstagg, rarely has the prince of lies heard such falsehoods. his martyrdom complete, yon baseless lackey shall smother all sullen opposition in clandestine retribution, huzzah.

stringfelowhawk
11-12-2004, 04:08 PM
My biggest gripe with Tweedle Dumber, (Ashcroft) is the way he was all about stepping so far over his bounds that he may as well have been working for Stalin. Those who are not up on da history, I'll break it down for you. The central government is supposed to take care of its citizens no doubt but the individual states, according to the Constitution, is supposed to be able to set their own laws without the central government interfering in them. Big government is what Bush and Ashcroft were trying to re-establish and the one thing he should be prosecuted for, and I don't say this because I smoke M.J., but it is legal in California for doctors to prescribe it for medicinal purposes. That is California State Law. He decided back in 2001, I believe it was before 9-11, that California was wrong for having said law and used the DEA to shut down ALL LEGAL medicinal M.J. growth farms. He was out of line and was given free reign to shit on the Constitution by our president. That moment is when I lost the last ounce of respect I was willing to show to this Mickey Mouse capade. I have glaucoma, several of my family members had it. I have an uncle who is legally blind because of it. I don't smoke it but he did and it helped. Just because I don't smoke it don't mean I can't have an opinion about it.
The way I feel, if cigarettes are legal then it should be too.

Nickdfresh
11-12-2004, 04:10 PM
Being beaten by a dead guy in an election can make a man lose his mind.

ODShowtime
11-12-2004, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by stringfelowhawk
My biggest gripe with Tweedle Dumber, (Ashcroft) is the way he was all about stepping so far over his bounds that he may as well have been working for Stalin. Those who are not up on da history, I'll break it down for you. The central government is supposed to take care of its citizens no doubt but the individual states, according to the Constitution, is supposed to be able to set their own laws without the central government interfering in them. Big government is what Bush and Ashcroft were trying to re-establish and the one thing he should be prosecuted for, and I don't say this because I smoke M.J., but it is legal in California for doctors to prescribe it for medicinal purposes. That is California State Law. He decided back in 2001, I believe it was before 9-11, that California was wrong for having said law and used the DEA to shut down ALL LEGAL medicinal M.J. growth farms. He was out of line and was given free reign to shit on the Constitution by our president. That moment is when I lost the last ounce of respect I was willing to show to this Mickey Mouse capade. I have glaucoma, several of my family members had it. I have an uncle who is legally blind because of it. I don't smoke it but he did and it helped. Just because I don't smoke it don't mean I can't have an opinion about it.
The way I feel, if cigarettes are legal then it should be too.

Just remember that Nixon commissioned a study to prove pot's harmfulness back in the 70s. When the scientists he funded came back with the result that the drug was essentially harmless and less habit forming than cigarettes... Nixon buried the study. So don't expect any common sense decisions on the matter any time soon.:confused:

Wayne L.
11-12-2004, 04:43 PM
Who gives a damn about the prisoners in Abu Ghraib because most of them are terrorists anyway who don't care what happens to Americans except the whining liberals on the far left who are for Osama Bin Laden mostly. I think AG John Ashcroft did a great job without impeding on anyone's rights except terrorists while Alberto Gonzalez will probably do alright as well despite the opposition from the usual suspects like the ACLU & People For The American Way.

twonabomber
11-12-2004, 04:46 PM
shaddup, toesucker.

Wayne L.
11-12-2004, 04:50 PM
I know you don't have an opinion on anything concerning music, politics or life because you're a " scumbag moron" like the rest of your family twonabomber.

twonabomber
11-12-2004, 04:53 PM
i'm a scumbag moron, when you're the one who wants to suck your cousin Sandra's toes.

Wayne L.
11-12-2004, 04:57 PM
I thought you were, I never said that, you crazy mental case. I like long legs & sexy feet on beautiful women which is better than being gay.

twonabomber
11-12-2004, 05:06 PM
you specifically said you wanted to suck your cousin Sandra's toes when you used to post under the name Shadow at the old Army.

and BTW-joke's on you, all my family is dead. i'm the last one! ha!

FORD
11-12-2004, 05:39 PM

Not to mention having a paranoid fear that calico cats are the agents of Satan :eek:

FORD
11-12-2004, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by twonabomber
shaddup, toesucker.

You think Wayne could be Dick Morris? They both like sucking toes and babbling right wing talking points....

Warham
11-12-2004, 06:21 PM
Dick Morris, former Clinton advisor.

Interesting the kind of cats Clinton had in his Oral...I mean, Oval Office.

John Ashcroft
11-12-2004, 11:23 PM

Hey! Easy there! ;)

Mezro
11-13-2004, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by John Ashcroft
Hey! Easy there! ;)

So how does it feel to be retired John:)

Mezro...almost typed retried...