PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone still on dialup anymore??

Sarge
01-31-2004, 01:37 AM
Does anyone use dialup anymore?
If so.. I feel sorry for you.
Dialup just plain sucks!
After you have had cable or DSL for awhile you won't want to use anything else.
It's worth the extra 20 dollars..
I remember all of those 56k commercials awhile back.. lol
:56k:

Eyes of the Night
01-31-2004, 02:33 AM
True dat Sarge ... I'm still on dialup!

:gulp:

TMR
01-31-2004, 03:55 AM
Sarge on i'm on Netzero High Speed Dial up and my pages load faster then cable access!

Igosplut
01-31-2004, 06:11 AM
I'm still on dailup.....Here, if you want broadband and dont have cable TV service(I have satellite) its a 15.00 dollar a month surcharge on top of the 59.00 a month charge. The cable company here (on the Cape) sucks BIG time, they've been bought out aleast four times in as many years and everytime the rates go up and programing goes down. As an added bonus, the fuckin system is always going down (high winds in the winter here on the Cape beat the shit out of the overhead lines). A few years back I made black boxes (out of their own equipment so it couldnt be detected) so I got all the high end stuff for free. It finally got to the point that I went for satellite (that cost me 400.00 to buy) because the cable was so pathetic compaired to the programing on DirecTV it wasnt worth stealing anymore....

To get DSL in this area you have to be near a switching station, and they only put those near the more densely populated spots....Which I'm not.

There is Direct way satellite internet access. But the startup cost on that is about 500.00 for the hardware and installation (they wont let you install it yourself like I did with the satellite tv) and about 45.00 a month. Their claiming that theres no bog on download/uploads, or service interuptions like you can get on cable, But I'm waiting to check out somebody that has one before I spend that. I do have a perfect southern exposure, and hardly ever lose my satellite TV signal....

My dialup costs 14.00, and I dial in at 50k everytime. Sure, forget about streaming video or downloading something big, But my girlfriend has broadband (with internet and a few options its like 125.00 a month) so I use hers for that. At least untill I see if the satellite systems are worth it.

Eyes of the Night
01-31-2004, 06:15 AM
Damn dude, I coulda swore you just browsed this forum for 1 hour just to make that post! Buwahaha, is that because your on dialup!:D

http://www.virus-bs.ch/lyr/jo-ani.gif

Va Beach VH Fan
01-31-2004, 09:06 AM
I'm still dialing up as well...

I don't have Cox cable, I have DirectTV, so if I got cable modem service from Cox, it would be about 50 clams a month... That dog ain't huntin'......

There currently isn't DSL service in my area either.... I'll probably wait until DSL gets around here to get that.... I don't do anything with a website or any uploading, so in that respect, download speed comparing DSL vs. Cable is pretty much the same, or so I've been told....

And believe me, once that happens, I'm definitely gonna be catching up on my VH bootleg downloads !!!!

Coyote
01-31-2004, 10:57 AM
No dial-up for me, pal.

I'm speeding 'cross the net with a DSL. :cool:

Elitest
01-31-2004, 01:27 PM
I'm still in diallup and it is crap.
No cable here and as Im gonna be moving Im not gonna start messing with it now...

Viking
01-31-2004, 03:35 PM
I blew off dialup ages ago.....and I have a whole shitload of internal and external modems gathering dust in my computer shop. LOL :argh:

DLR7884
01-31-2004, 03:40 PM
Mmmmmmm.....DSL.

DLR7884
Dick sucking lips are great!

Ally_Kat
01-31-2004, 03:44 PM
i have roadrunner. Brought my friend Tom over the house one day. He still has dialup at home. You had to see his face when he saw how fast the pages loaded. He started randomly clicking places, amazed that we didn't have to wait at all for the page to load.

DLR7884
01-31-2004, 03:47 PM
My dad is still on dialup connection but it's faster than ever because nobody else is using it.

It's better than ever according to him.

DLR7884
He's getting a DSL hookup very soon though, and it's gonna be like a new world for him.

DLR7884
01-31-2004, 03:48 PM
By the way, I'm still using the piece of shit Gateway I've had since 1997.

200 megahertz, Pentium 1....but it flies on cable connection.

DLR7884
Either way, it's time to get a new operating system.

rustoffa
01-31-2004, 04:07 PM
The local cable company here offers cable access for 25 bucks a month if you get it bundled with your tv account.Pretty sweet.

Lou
01-31-2004, 04:08 PM
Went to Comcast High Speed Internet a little over a year ago and haven't looked back since...sometimes I forget dial-up exists :)

Ally_Kat
01-31-2004, 04:52 PM
anyone else here with cable/DSL get impatient when something won't load quickly or if you are stuck somewhere on a computer where the connection isn't as fast as yours?

I know I do :o

Flash Bastard
01-31-2004, 05:55 PM
I couldn't imagine going back to AOL. I'd shoot myself.

Coyote
01-31-2004, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by DLR7884
Mmmmmmm.....DSL.

DLR7884
Dick sucking lips are great!

:lol:

Coyote
01-31-2004, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by Ally_Kat
anyone else here with cable/DSL get impatient when something won't load quickly or if you are stuck somewhere on a computer where the connection isn't as fast as yours?

I know I do :o

You ain't the only one, babe...

lucky wilbury
02-01-2004, 02:51 AM
i do believe i cruise the net on the slowest comp on the board:

packard bell pack mate 3987cd with a 133 hz processor with 70 mb ram bought circa summer of 95.

i have been known to also cruise here on a much better comp pent 4 512 mb cdr and dvd drives but i'm not supposed to use that computer to do things like this. oh well.

Va Beach VH Fan
02-01-2004, 12:05 PM
I you have a cable modem, you compete with everyone else on your node during peak periods.... That's why it may seem relatively slow sometimes....

DSL users have a dedicated line to them....

But as I said, if you run a website or upload a lot of files, DSL will be slower for you.... The upload rate is much slower as compared to cable...

Bob_R
02-01-2004, 02:25 PM
I've had cable modem for 3 or 4 years now. I don't even remember how it feels to have dial-up internet access. Once you get rid of dial-up you'll never go back.

Sarge
02-01-2004, 02:35 PM
Dialup is so slow... and frustrating..
Ditto EVHFANATIC

Flash Bastard
02-01-2004, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by lucky wilbury
i do believe i cruise the net on the slowest comp on the board:

packard bell pack mate 3987cd....

Ah yes, Packard Bell. The Daihatsu of computers. ;)

BrownSound1
02-03-2004, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
But as I said, if you run a website or upload a lot of files, DSL will be slower for you.... The upload rate is much slower as compared to cable...

That depends on who your cable or DSL provider is. For instance the predominate cable service here (Comcast) only allows for a 128kbps upload speed, while Bellsouth's DSL is twice that at 256kbps. The downloads are about the same though @ 1.5 mbps. What pisses me off is none of the cable or DSL companies are letting us have the max bandwidth for either format. Hell, 1.5 mbps on DSL is actually one of the lower speeds ADSL can do. Same with cable.

Va Beach VH Fan
02-03-2004, 07:19 PM
Yeah, that's a good point also Brownie....

Junyore Grades
02-04-2004, 11:19 AM
I push the "send" button on my keyboard and a carrier pigeon pops out the back of my monitor.