PDA

View Full Version : If you think college football sucks, sign in here

Lou
11-13-2004, 10:29 AM
College football sucks, basically because they have no playoff system. College basketball does it just right, whereas college football decides they're going to allow a computer to determine who the best team is. If you lose one game your bid at a championship could very well be over. No redemption. That reason alone is why I won't watch college football.

The overtime system might be the dumbest concept in all of sports. Ever. Why not just play a 15 minute sudden death overtime like the NFL? You'll have a game like 24-24 become 47-41 in overtime, really destroying the character of what the game was.

Then there's ridiculous running up the scores to get ranked higher. Unbalanced home and away schedules (for example Penn State usually gets a 6-5 or even 7-4 home-away schedule and play cupcake teams at home).

Then the other rules suck like 1 foot in bounds is a catch, if you slip and fall you're considered down. I realize that's to protect guys from getting hammered if they try to run again but it still sucks. The clock stops on a first down, etc. etc.

I suppose if I had to watch either college football or NHL I'd choose college football but it wouldn't be by much. They both suck!

lms2
11-13-2004, 10:31 AM
I don't watch college football either.

BITEYOASS
11-13-2004, 12:34 PM
IMO any team in the entire Division I-A that is a conference champion team (or an independent team who has a better percentage than at least one conference champion) only gets to go to a bowl game all in one week, so that will eliminate teams who wind up in 4'th place in a conference to go to a bowl game and we'll just have 6 bowls to watch instead of 20. After that round, the top 4 bowl champions go into the playoffs. Then the winners play the championship Division I-A game is played a week after that. That's my solution!

BITEYOASS
11-13-2004, 12:39 PM
And why is it that Navy has won more games than Notre Dame, yet Notre Dame gets ranked 24 and Navy doesn't even wind up in the top 25! WTF!!

Va Beach VH Fan
11-13-2004, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by Lou
I suppose if I had to watch either college football or NHL I'd choose college football but it wouldn't be by much. They both suck!

Such negativity....

Better be careful Lou all that stress doesn't keel you over before you hit the ripe old age of 25.....

twonabomber
11-14-2004, 08:38 AM
i won't say it sucks, but i don't follow college football.

Dave's PA Rental
11-14-2004, 07:46 PM
Its unwatchable...like the NHL.

POJO_Risin
11-14-2004, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by Lou
[B]College football sucks, basically because they have no playoff system. College basketball does it just right, whereas college football decides they're going to allow a computer to determine who the best team is. If you lose one game your bid at a championship could very well be over. No redemption. That reason alone is why I won't watch college football.

2. Football is not like basketball...for one thing...rarely does any team go undefeated in basketball...and rarely is one or two teams far and away better than the rest. 3. Schedules are much easier to manipulate...and a tournament has ALWAYS been used in the NCAA...so all other extra games were stacked around that tourney...whereas the NCAA has allowed teams to load up on extra early games that bring in more revenue. 4. You aren't being realistic with your football to basketball analogy...no redemption...you want a playoff...explain how it would work braniac...there isn't one model that will fit...how many teams? When would it start? To many people vote playoff...then have no goddamned sensible plan...where is the cutoff? Generally...you have an undefeated or two...or none...3 or 4 with one loss...and a shitload with 2 losses. I know...how about tourney wins...you win your tourney and your in...oh...but wait...let's say an 8-3 plays an 11-0...and the 8-3 wins (who was ranked...say 19)...so the 11-0...ranked 1...doesn't make the tourney? There isn't a viable option for a playoff that's any more fair than what's done now...

The overtime system might be the dumbest concept in all of sports. Ever. Why not just play a 15 minute sudden death overtime like the NFL? You'll have a game like 24-24 become 47-41 in overtime, really destroying the character of what the game was.
Holy fuck...you are trying to make a case for SUDDEN DEATH? Christ...most of the NFL hates sudden death...except for the owners...

Then there's ridiculous running up the scores to get ranked higher. Unbalanced home and away schedules (for example Penn State usually gets a 6-5 or even 7-4 home-away schedule and play cupcake teams at home). This isn't true any more...running up the score against shit teams makes no difference in the outcome of the rankings...look it up...that's just plain wrong...and home games...and games against CUPCAKES are figured in the BCS results...teams that drop a 1-AA on their schedule get no cred for a win...and the lower you are in the RPI...the less points you get...blowouts DON'T MATTER...and they haven't for 5 years...

Then the other rules suck like 1 foot in bounds is a catch, if you slip and fall you're considered down. I realize that's to protect guys from getting hammered if they try to run again but it still sucks. The clock stops on a first down, etc. etc. Christ...who gives a fuck...

it's simple...you leave a championship game as an option year after year...

leave the bowl system in place (YOU KNOW...the one that's been around longer than the fucking NCAA college tourney...that has a shiteload of college money wrapped up in it...and won't change because of the money windfall)...and if you need a championship you have one...plain and simple...so...if there is a split title like last year...you have 1 game...2 weeks after the last bowl game...

done...

you don't need a gay ass tournament...

Rebel
11-14-2004, 09:54 PM
Great post Poj, hit the nail on the head. College footbal is bar none the greatest sport in the world, period. I'm so tired of people trying to change college football into the NFL. Playoffs? No way, it'll never happen. WOuldn't be fair to the kids who play.

People tend to forget, these kids aren't pros (well, excluding FSU and a couple of others) and asking them to play a couple of extra games to fulfill these fans "need" or whatever for a tourney based champ isn't fair, and shortening the season isn't an option really.

How can it suck? Out of the gate, back in August, every game is huge, one screw up knocks you out, it's great!!!

POJO_Risin
11-14-2004, 10:04 PM
The thing is Reb...lots of things would have to happen...you'd have to end the season earlier...you'd have to cap games (and they are going to add a game...make 12 mandatory)...

you'd have to have a poll system that could be fair (and when you add 64 teams...you get all the good ones in)...you can't do that in the college game...

people that talk tournament...just don't have the facts...

PS...I can make a case FOR the tourney if you want...I don't like it...but I have a plan that would work...

of course...most people talk out their ass...and have no fucking plan...they'll say shit like..."Well...all the lower conferences do it...blah...blah...blah..."

but I have a bad-ass defense for that...so I'm looking forward to the plans that crop out of this...so I can hammer the fuck out of them...

Rebel
11-14-2004, 10:11 PM
I don't know, I just don't see a feasible way of doing it without screwing up the regular season, some of these teams already don't play enough conference games.

To do a playoff, you would have to shorten the season by at least three games, and if you play a max of 3 non conference games (which isn't even close to being enough), you would be doing good to have 5-6 conference games, just not enough if your in a conference like the SEC or Big 12.

The biggest thing IMO, and there isn't any way around it really, a playoff would demean the regular season. Look at the AU and UGA game this weekend, if there was a playoff, it would have been a big game, but not life and death like it was. That's the biggest reason I'm against a playoff.

I knew several players while I was in college, and asking them to do a playoff for a NC isn't fair, they do enough as it is.

POJO_Risin
11-14-2004, 10:24 PM
So you shorten the season...but...WHAT ABOUT THE 100 TEAMS THAT DON'T MAKE THE PLAYOFF?

LMFAO...so you ask them to fucking cut their season 3 games...it will never happen that way...

it's hard to defend a playoff...there's just no feasible way...

or is there...

Jano
11-15-2004, 01:57 AM
Originally posted by POJO_Risin
2. Football is not like basketball...for one thing...rarely does any team go undefeated in basketball...and rarely is one or two teams far and away better than the rest. 3. Schedules are much easier to manipulate...and a tournament has ALWAYS been used in the NCAA...so all other extra games were stacked around that tourney...whereas the NCAA has allowed teams to load up on extra early games that bring in more revenue. 4. You aren't being realistic with your football to basketball analogy...no redemption...you want a playoff...explain how it would work braniac...there isn't one model that will fit...how many teams? When would it start? To many people vote playoff...then have no goddamned sensible plan...where is the cutoff? Generally...you have an undefeated or two...or none...3 or 4 with one loss...and a shitload with 2 losses. I know...how about tourney wins...you win your tourney and your in...oh...but wait...let's say an 8-3 plays an 11-0...and the 8-3 wins (who was ranked...say 19)...so the 11-0...ranked 1...doesn't make the tourney? There isn't a viable option for a playoff that's any more fair than what's done now...

Holy fuck...you are trying to make a case for SUDDEN DEATH? Christ...most of the NFL hates sudden death...except for the owners...

This isn't true any more...running up the score against shit teams makes no difference in the outcome of the rankings...look it up...that's just plain wrong...and home games...and games against CUPCAKES are figured in the BCS results...teams that drop a 1-AA on their schedule get no cred for a win...and the lower you are in the RPI...the less points you get...blowouts DON'T MATTER...and they haven't for 5 years...

Christ...who gives a fuck...

it's simple...you leave a championship game as an option year after year...

leave the bowl system in place (YOU KNOW...the one that's been around longer than the fucking NCAA college tourney...that has a shiteload of college money wrapped up in it...and won't change because of the money windfall)...and if you need a championship you have one...plain and simple...so...if there is a split title like last year...you have 1 game...2 weeks after the last bowl game...

done...

you don't need a gay ass tournament...
Good post POJO!!

Dave's PA Rental
11-15-2004, 06:54 AM
College football sucks. Plain and simple. Of course, if my town had an NFL team that really sucked...I'm sure that I would need a football fix from somewhere...I guess college football would have to do!

Dave's PA Rental
11-15-2004, 06:55 AM
Oh, and Jano...youre from France....were talking AMERICAN football here...

Lou
11-15-2004, 02:51 PM
So POJO you think that a score that was 24-24 drastically changing upwards thanks to that Mickey Mouse overtime system is OK?

I forgot, you're an NHL fan too. You like stupid rules.

Jano
11-15-2004, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by Dave's PA Rental
Oh, and Jano...youre from France....were talking AMERICAN football here...
I 'm french but i know a lot about college football and football (NFL,CFL,WORLDLEAGUE)and i think that american football is one of the greatest sport ever! Sorry!:D
GO SOONERS!!!!

Brett
11-17-2004, 01:15 AM
College football rules, and you know why. Because my fucking alma mater is finally #1 again, and I've enjoyed these last three years of domination. It's been a long fucking time coming. USC fans have suffered through Larry Smith, the return and failure of John Robinson, and the worst coach of all-time, Paul Hackett. Thank god for Pete Carroll! Pete for President! :)

With that said, despite the BCS, the polls, etc, college football is so much more exciting than pro football, it's not even funny. Every game means something, and the bitter rivalries make it special.

They need to figure out some sort of playoff system because Auburn or Oklahoma is going to get fucked this year like SC did last year. I think what made last year particularly annoying was that USC was #1 in both polls and still got boned.

Warham
11-17-2004, 07:41 AM
College basketball does it right. The polls only matter when the teams get seeded in the playoffs. What happens from there is up to the teams themselves.

Where football is concerned, the polls matter in ALL cases.

Brett
11-17-2004, 01:44 PM
Yep college football is the only sport I can that determines its champs basically on a set of voters, not the field. Yes the game matters, but in the end, people have to vote. The BCS just forces coaches to vote for whomever wins the BCS title game, but it's a vote nonetheless.

College basketball does it right yep, but football can't exactly have 6 weeks of playoff games. But they should do something for the Top 4 in the BCS, or maybe a playoff for the Top 6.

POJO_Risin
11-17-2004, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by Lou
So POJO you think that a score that was 24-24 drastically changing upwards thanks to that Mickey Mouse overtime system is OK?

I forgot, you're an NHL fan too. You like stupid rules.

As opposed to a fucking tie? Are you kidding me? Who gives a shit what the fucking final score is...as long as both teams get a chance to win...

Obviously...if the game goes into triple overtime...and the final score is 48-42...you know that the score isn't really that high...jesus christ bro...you're grasping if that's your big thing...

and hockey doesn't rank high on my list of sports...I follow it...follow my team...because I like just about every sport...

but if you're banking on the OT as a defense...lmfao...you have none...

and certainly...you can't use the gay-ass sudden death defense...because I think it's general knowledge that the only fuckers that like that style is the rules committee run by the old-school owners...

POJO_Risin
11-17-2004, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by Brett

They need to figure out some sort of playoff system because Auburn or Oklahoma is going to get fucked this year like SC did last year. I think what made last year particularly annoying was that USC was #1 in both polls and still got boned.

1. The assumption is that they will both run the table...and that isn't assured in the least...and if there ARE three teams undefeated...someone gets burned based upon the fact that there are 3 undefeateds...as opposed to USC...who had to share the poll...I don't call that burned...I call that still winning the title...

2. USC was #1 in both polls that were voted on by people...the computer based system voted LSU based on several other factors...and they shared the title...both were undefeated...period...but there doesn't need to be a playoff in that sense...the sense you are thinking...

I'll give you two scenarios...both would work...

POJO_Risin
11-17-2004, 05:59 PM
You have an option game...a potential game every year...

call it the College Bowl...

here's how it would work...in a case in which there are two teams that are undefeated at the end of the season...and haven't met...and end up ranked 1 and 2...or end up splitting the title...you hold a final game...2 weeks after the final Bowl...

You select the site based on a bidding system...once the polls are set...you have several sites bid on the title game (therefore...setting records yearly if the game is played...because the bidding would be high)...you also have a clause that allows all major channels to bid on the game....

imagine the cash...

You call it the Bear Bryant Bowl...whatever...

it only happens with undefeateds though...if there are a bunch of 1 loss teams...you let the bowls settle it...

unless of course...there's a split champion...period...

it would work...and it would be easy...and it would rack in the bucks...and only 2 teams would be effected...

The NCAA would get to keep their bowl system in which many teams could get their money...

and the two "tied" teams would rack in some serious cash on the splits for the extra bowl....

Chances are...you'd only have this game...once every three or four years...and damn...talk about drama when it would happen...

it would turn into the second biggest event in the US next to the SuperBowl...

Brett
11-17-2004, 07:40 PM
2. USC was #1 in both polls that were voted on by people...the computer based system voted LSU based on several other factors...and they shared the title...both were undefeated...period...but there doesn't need to be a playoff in that sense...the sense you are thinking...

Well that's not exactly true. LSU was actually never #1 in any poll. SC was #1 in both human polls, Oklahoma was #1 according to the computers. What hurt SC was their computer ranking, and what obviously cost them their shot in the title game. LSU won the BCS title game which FORCES coaches to vote for the winner of that game as the #1 team in the Coaches Poll, a poll that SC was #1 in.

So I think SC got boned in the sense that they were #1 in a poll, and were dropped down simply because they weren't playing in the BCS title game.

All things being equal, look at it this way. USC was #1 in both polls going into that last game. They handily beat Michigan in the Rose Bowl 28-14, LSU beats Oklahoma. If you go strictly based on that, would anyone in their right mind have dropped USC out of the #1 spot after the bowls? The answer is no.

ALinChainz
11-17-2004, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by Warham
College basketball does it right. The polls only matter when the teams get seeded in the playoffs. What happens from there is up to the teams themselves.

Where football is concerned, the polls matter in ALL cases.

Problem with college hoops is the true studs, and some of the not so true, take it to the NBA.

In my mind, you're not really getting the best product anymore.

POJO_Risin
11-17-2004, 08:15 PM
How is that all things being equal?

Both teams were the only 1 loss teams in the polls...after the major bowls...

Lets look at the facts...

AP Poll...USC gains #1 after losing in week 4...and winning out...LSU gains #2 after losing in week 6...and winning out...

USA Today...Same deal...

there were several Power polls that had LSU ahead based on strength of schedule...

fact is Brett...you can't make that call based on the simple fact that the human polls had USC ranked #1 based on the fact that they lost first...

it was split...and I consider it a fair split under the circumstances...

I don't figure you to agree based on your USC feelings...but hell...I hate LSU and USC equally...so I figure I'm more unbiased than you...;)

Lou
11-17-2004, 10:01 PM
I for one think sudden death overtime is great. One year they had a statistic where I think 48% of the time the team that won the coin toss won the game. That's pretty fair. If you lose the coin toss, OH WELL. Up to your defense to stop the other team.

Warham
11-17-2004, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by ALinChainz
Problem with college hoops is the true studs, and some of the not so true, take it to the NBA.

In my mind, you're not really getting the best product anymore.

The NBA should follow the NFL's example.

ALinChainz
11-17-2004, 11:08 PM
They will be looking into it seriously this upcoming CBA.

They wouold very much like to set an age limit, I think 20 was the one they were talking.

Brett
11-18-2004, 01:00 AM
[B]How is that all things being equal?

Both teams were the only 1 loss teams in the polls...after the major bowls...

Equal in the sense of one bowl game not being FORCED into being a title game.

there were several Power polls that had LSU ahead based on strength of schedule...

What else is new, a lot of power polls have Auburn higher than SC this year too. Pretty fucking funny considering USC has beaten the highest ranked team of any of the three undefeateds, and Auburn's non-conference schedule is an embarrassment. The Citadel? Louisiana-Monroe? The SEC ain't even that good. Notre Dame beating Tennessee. Gimme a break.

fact is Brett...you can't make that call based on the simple fact that the human polls had USC ranked #1 based on the fact that they lost first...

Whatever the reason being, they were #1 at the end of season. If you don't want the polls to count, then get rid of them. It's not their fault they lost when they did.

it was split...and I consider it a fair split under the circumstances...

Never will be fair to me, but I certainly wouldn't still be giving a shit if it was Ohio St. that got fucked. :) I'm honest about that.

I don't figure you to agree based on your USC feelings...but hell...I hate LSU and USC equally...so I figure I'm more unbiased than you...;)

Of course don't, but I don't think I'm saying unreasonable things. I would hope as an OSU fan, you'd hate SC more. WTF? :)

POJO_Risin
11-20-2004, 10:51 AM
Why? Why should I hate USC? Because if they get to play in the Rose Bowl...they get home field advantage?

Nah...USC isn't a fucking blip on the radar...to be frank with you...no offense...

let's take it one at a time...

Equal in the sense of one bowl game not being FORCED into being a title game. We're talking apples and oranges here...so...you don't want the forced title game...but if you make the freakin' Rose Bowl the title game...with a #4 ranked team involved...what would that be...unforced? Not to mention Michigan had 2 losses going in...and shouldn't even have been in the conversation...

What else is new, a lot of power polls have Auburn higher than SC this year too. Pretty fucking funny considering USC has beaten the highest ranked team of any of the three undefeateds, and Auburn's non-conference schedule is an embarrassment. The Citadel? Louisiana-Monroe? The SEC ain't even that good. Notre Dame beating Tennessee. Gimme a break.

I wasn't really talking about this year...but if you want to go there...so be it...

I'm not going to go through the SEC vs. the Pac 10...not going to even go into that...that's for another conversation...but if you're going to downplay the SEC...well...that's what you're doing...downplaying the SEC...and that's fine...I think it is a down year in that league...but a down year in that league is sure as fuck better than a down year in the PAC 10...You have Cal...sure...but I know even you think they suck...and wonder how in the fuck you only beat them by 8...

Auburn has handled some teams...and I've seen a few of the big name teams play...it's been a strange year...that's for sure...is USC any better than Auburn...who is any better than Oklahoma? I say I can't say...I've seen them all...and Auburn has looked better than the other 2 IMO...but perhaps Cal is better than I thought. I doubt it...but it's possible...feel free to hammer the SEC (I hate the fuckers as well)...but as long as USC doesn't lose...they'll be #1...so don't fret...we'll hopefully get to see them play on the field...

I will say this...once league play starts...week in...and week out...if you think the Pac10 is as good as the SEC...you just aren't being sensible...

Whatever the reason being, they were #1 at the end of season. If you don't want the polls to count, then get rid of them. It's not their fault they lost when they did.

I have no problem with the polls...and they were #1 at the end of the season...but if you are agreeing with me that it's based soley on WHEN they lost...than you've made a great case for the polls not being able to decide who's the better team...they were #1 in both human polls...my question then becomes this? Why should the polls posted in the paper be rated higher than the power rankings? I agree...you can't fault USC for losing first...nor can you fault LSU for being ranked higher in the strength of schedule polls...

what I am saying here is simple...if there's a question about the final ranking...there should be a game to decide it...and one extra game would do it...

POJO_Risin
11-20-2004, 10:58 AM
Look...If OSU had gotten fucked...IE...if they had split for the title the way that they did...I wouldn't have any problem with it...as I have said before...a team should win the title based on 1 loss...before the other teams 1 loss...

No...you can't fault a team for losing first...I agree...but in the same respect...you can't use that as an end all to them being better...

and there's no defense other than 1 more game...to say any different...

and again...USC isn't truly a rival in the respect I think you are giving...at this stage of the game...I'm more intrigued with trying to figure out if they really are a dominant team...or simply loving life as the big dog in a shit league...

hopefully...even though I think it's a down year in college football overall...we'll get to see USC play a real team at the end of the year...and not those dupes from Michigan...

POJO_Risin
11-20-2004, 05:38 PM
I do agree with you about Auburn's non-conference schedule though...it was pussyish...

truth of the matter is that nobody paid attention to that shit then because I don't think anyone expected them at the beginning of the year...

It will be interesting though if the top three all go unbeaten...

the good thing for you Brett is that USC will stay at the top of the charts...and it will come down to the Okies and the Auburn's to decide it...

lmfao...put them all in separate bowls I say...AND SPLIT IT THREE WAYS!

Brett
11-21-2004, 07:18 PM
Pac-10 can't be that shitty, the #4 ranked BCS team is from the Pac-10 too. And even Arizona St. was good this year, their only two losses were to SC and Cal. I'd put them all up against anyone in the country.

SC is in the driver's seat this year, I don't think they'll get voted out of that #1 spot in either poll if they win their last two. So yes I'm happy.

POJO_Risin
11-21-2004, 07:34 PM
I'm just not sold on Cal...and Arizona St....

well...again...

the only teams they are playing against are freakin' Pac 10 teams...so all those wins could be based upon the fact that their league bites...

I'm not going to get into the division battle...

Obviously I think the Pac 10 is inferior...but...I'll be honest...I know little about the Pac 10 from year to year...and could care a less about them in general...

The bottom line for me is this...

if there is a split in titles...it's not a big deal...it's still a title...

you can point to this and that at why USC was better than LSU last year...or better than Okie or Auburn this year...

but...fact of the matter is that unless they play each other in some format...it's not worth talking about...because for everything you point at...

I can point at an equal amount of things for why the others are just as good...or better...

you have to take the polls out of the equation...because then your talking about a race for the most part that USC had a head start in because they started the race first...

if you were to look at Auburn, Okie and USC mano y mano...and hell...throw in Boise St. and Utah...

You would probably say...based on opponants...USC 1, Auburn 2...Okie 3...with 2 and 3 being real close...and just slightly behind USC...

and that's strictly based on who they have played...nothing more...nothing less...

Utah 4, Boise St. 5...

and I'm saying that realizing that I would certainly have a team or two ranked ahead of them...but not by much...

Brett
11-22-2004, 03:47 AM
You think Boise St. is the 5th best team in the country? Dude they have squeaked by some awful teams, including a horrendous San Jose St. team. They really play nobody.

POJO_Risin
11-23-2004, 11:37 PM
No Brett...I really don't think they are the fifth best team in the country...I was talking about rating the undefeateds...

The same way I don't think Utah is 4th best...

nevermind with this conversation Brettski...I'm not really sure what we are arguing here...

you think the Pac 10 is tough...I think it's a joke...you may think it's a matter of opinion...I think it's a matter of fact...the records are good because you have two okay teams...1 great team...and a bunch of shit teams...

PS...I think the Big 10 blows this year too...just in case you want to go there...

Top to Bottom...the Pac 10 just doesn't rank up there with the other conferences...and that ISN'T a matter of opinion...

that being said...I think USC should be ranked 1...

My hope in all of this...is that USC gets to play a team that will decide the damn title...so I don't have to listen to the bitching and moaning about "sharing" a title...who gives a shit...

does anyone outside of UCLA-land give a shit if USC split or not?

No...'cept USC fans...who incorrectly state they should have it...

and LSU who incorrectly states that they should have it...

As far as this year goes...let them prove it on the field...and hope to fuck that there aren't three damn undefeateds so that I have to listen to the horseshit all year long...

USC is good...nobody is denying that...

you don't have to pump up a shit conference to make them better...

BITEYOASS
11-24-2004, 04:44 AM
The damn Sooners and Auburn Tigers are gonna whip USC anyway. Isn't OJ among there alumni?