PDA

View Full Version : Way to go, Massachusetts

Ally_Kat
11-14-2004, 12:51 AM
WWII Soldier Killed at Parade Honoring Veterans

BOSTON (Reuters) - William Hammond survived one of the bloodiest battles of World War II but died at a parade honoring him and others after a van at a Veteran's Day parade ran over him.

Hammond, of Abington, Mass., was accidentally run over during a parade Thursday in Whitman, Mass. by a van owned by the local Veterans of Foreign Wars chapter and driven by a close friend of his, according to Boston's WBZ radio station.

Hammond, 80, fought in the Battle of the Bulge in 1944-1945, one of the toughest offensives of World War II as under-equipped U.S. soldiers fended off a last-ditch German offensive in one of Europe's bitterest winters.

Whitman police were not available to comment.

ELVIS
11-14-2004, 12:56 AM
Ouch!

I believe everything happens for a reason...

What's up with this ???

Big Train
11-14-2004, 04:31 AM
And what does it have to do with my home state? It was an accident......are you still sore that we kicked your ass in baseball?

Nickdfresh
11-14-2004, 04:34 AM
Originally posted by Big Train
And what does it have to do with my home state? It was an accident......are you still sore that we kicked your ass in baseball?

I don't think a vet killed in an accident has anything to do with MA being a blue state.

BigBadBrian
11-14-2004, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh
I don't think a vet killed in an accident has anything to do with MA being a blue state.

John Kerry should have pulled his swift boat in front of the van to save this poor guy. :gulp:

Ally_Kat
11-14-2004, 03:33 PM

Um..no. Why are the Red Sox fans continually bringing that up to anyone who is in NY? Actually, we got over it a couple of days later and don't even remember it unless one of you guys brings it up :D

'Way to go local Veterans of Foreign Wars chapter 'was too long and complicated. If it happened in Arizona, it would have been Way to Go, Arizona. If it had been here, it would ahve either been Way to Go, New York or the specific bourough since I'm more familiar with counties here.

There's no undertones here, so don't go searching. I'm pretty obvious with what I mean.

Nickdfresh
11-14-2004, 03:54 PM
RED SOX!!!

Big Train
11-14-2004, 11:04 PM
Me too....just busting your figurative balls there.....it's been 86 years and NO, NO Yankee fan is over it yet.....

Guess I wasn't obvious enough....

diamondsgirl
11-14-2004, 11:14 PM
what does it have to do with Massachusetts or Arizona or any state that such a tragedy occurs in?

Why even use "way to go" in the thread title on this topic?

Ally_Kat
11-15-2004, 12:41 AM
Originally posted by diamondsgirl
what does it have to do with Massachusetts or Arizona or any state that such a tragedy occurs in?

Why even use "way to go" in the thread title on this topic?

sarcasm

Ally_Kat
11-15-2004, 12:44 AM
Me too....just busting your figurative balls there.....it's been 86 years and NO, NO Yankee fan is over it yet.....

Guess I wasn't obvious enough....

Really? Cuz not one of my many Yankee pals even mention the Red Sox. The vibe here right now is a "yeah, and?" one.

Big Train
11-15-2004, 03:35 AM
No kidding.....Deny, deny, deny....takes the edge off..

It's great that they are so "above" us winning, or any other team for that matter.

I'm gonna let it go here Ally....until next season.

Snow Ho
11-15-2004, 01:26 PM
that sucks. :(

bueno bob
11-16-2004, 06:56 PM
My wife was telling me about this last night!

Either it COMPLETELY AND TOTALLY proves the existance of God, or it COMPLETELY AND TOTALLY refutes it.

I'll get back to you...