PDA

View Full Version : Birth Rate for Young Teens Lowest Since 1946

Ally_Kat
11-15-2004, 10:46 PM
Birth Rate for Young Teens Lowest Since 1946

Mon Nov 15, 1:58 PM ET

By Paul Simao

ATLANTA (Reuters) - The birth rate among adolescent and young teen girls in the United States fell sharply in the 1990s, hitting a 58-year-low in 2002, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (news - web sites) reported on Monday.

CDC researchers said the drop in births among girls aged 10 to 14 might be a sign that programs emphasizing abstinence and other forms of birth control were having an impact on this high-risk group.

They noted that the downward trend in births occurred despite a rise in the number of girls in this age group.

"A number of surveys have shown that in recent years fewer teenagers are sexually active, and they seem to be acting more responsibly," said Fay Menacker, a CDC statistician and one of the authors of the study.

Young girls have a higher risk of delivering babies that are premature or have low birth weights. These young mothers also are more likely to suffer hypertension and eclampsia, a serious condition marked by convulsions and seizures.

There were 7,315 babies born to girls aged 10 to 14 in 2002, compared to 11,657 in 1990. The 2002 birth rate for this age group was 0.7 live births per 1,000 girls, one-half of the 1990 rate and the same rate as 1946.

"We are encouraged by our continued progress in reducing births to teens of all ages, but we're particularly pleased to make this kind of progress in such a young and vulnerable group," CDC Director Dr. Julie Gerberding said in a statement.

Blacks had the highest birth rate among girls in the study at 1.9 per 1,000, more than six times the rate for whites. The rate for Hispanics was 1.4 per 1,000, while Asians and Pacific Islanders had a much lower rate of 0.3 per 1,000.

Among the states, Maine had the lowest rate at 0.2 per 1,000, while Mississippi had the highest at 2 per 1,000.

The drop in births among adolescents and young teens mirrors a similar trend among older teenagers in the United States, which typically has one of the highest rates of teenage pregnancy in the world.

Switch84
11-15-2004, 11:28 PM
:) That's a good thing, the numbers dropping. I don't know how many young girls are getting abortions, but that is a factor in the low birthrate. I knew one girl in my high school that had FOUR abortions from middle school to high school! The girl was busy, and this was in the 80s!

Who knows how many girls are doing the same thing now?

ELVIS
11-15-2004, 11:30 PM
Hopefully not that many...

Ally_Kat
11-15-2004, 11:41 PM
Analyists are saying that the Millenial Generation is more like that of the Greatest Generation and tend to be more conservative than the Baby Boomers.

I'm not entirely sure about that, even though numbers like pregnancies and abortion rates ( i saw it somewhere before a while ago) are falling cuz all I interact with are those that don't follow those outlines.

Nickdfresh
11-15-2004, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by Switch84
:) ...The girl was busy, and this was in the 80s!

Who knows how many girls are doing the same thing now?

The 80's were a "busy" time.

ELVIS
11-15-2004, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by Ally_Kat
Analyists are saying that the Millenial Generation is more like that of the Greatest Generation and tend to be more conservative than the Baby Boomers.

I'm not following you...

The millenial is more like the greatest generation ??

Fill me in, I'm confused...

Ally_Kat
11-15-2004, 11:54 PM
the different generations -- Greatest (or G.I.), Baby Boomers, Generation X, Millenials.

Millenials are born from 1982 on.

Apparently we're the counter to Generation X

Switch84
11-16-2004, 01:36 AM
Originally posted by Ally_Kat
the different generations -- Greatest (or G.I.), Baby Boomers, Generation X, Millenials.

Millenials are born from 1982 on.

Apparently we're the counter to Generation X

:) I think what Elvis is puzzled about is how do you see your generation as being more like the conservative 'Greatest' generation when sexuality and pushing the envelope is more prevalent now (in your generation) than even us Gen X-ers, who were hitting our sexual awakenings during the early stages of the AIDS epidemic.

blueturk
11-16-2004, 02:45 AM
Maybe it's my demographic,but I'm partial to the 70's as far as (relatively)worry-free,totally promiscuous sex goes (or went).

spmusicplyr
11-16-2004, 03:02 AM
i took a girl to get an abortion. best $325 i ever spent

Dr. Love
11-16-2004, 08:19 AM
In my graduating class (very close to 2000) the number of girls that had children was 2. In the class after me, the number was 6. The class after that it was up to 14.

I don't know how long the growth trend lasted ... my younger sister's graduating class had almost 20 pregnant girls in it.

I honestly think that if the birth rate is lower, then the abortion rate must be higher.

John Ashcroft
11-16-2004, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by spmusicplyr
i took a girl to get an abortion. best $325 i ever spent

brilliant. :rolleyes:

WACF
11-16-2004, 10:40 AM
I would think that abortion rates are higher now then they were back in the 40's-50's...that is my opinion...I do not know.

It is most likely more accessable from the 70's to now.

I see a lot of high school age "children" pushing strollers....I don't know what the Canadian stats are like.
I do know they are very high within our native population....

Nickdfresh
11-16-2004, 11:04 AM
I think such things were "hidden" better back in the 40's-60's.

WACF
11-16-2004, 11:09 AM
Socially unacceptable....family honour and all.

Now we are used to it.

Ally_Kat
11-16-2004, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by Switch84
:) I think what Elvis is puzzled about is how do you see your generation as being more like the conservative 'Greatest' generation when sexuality and pushing the envelope is more prevalent now (in your generation) than even us Gen X-ers, who were hitting our sexual awakenings during the early stages of the AIDS epidemic.

I didn't come to this conclusion. The analyists did.

There was an actual part of the study that talked about how sexuality is viewed, the media, and all that. I think the conclusion was that the people who run things are all Baby Boomers and Generation Xers since we're all just in college and high school. I would have to go reread the study to get all technical about it.

Ally_Kat
11-16-2004, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by WACF

I see a lot of high school age "children" pushing strollers....

Yeah, but are there signs that those are their kids? I mean, a lot of high schoolers babysit for money and/or have younger siblings they often take care for.

WACF
11-16-2004, 01:45 PM
Sometimes I am quite sure that is the case.

I have seen many though coupled up with the dad....