PDA

View Full Version : Holyfield Suspended Over Health Concerns

ALinChainz
11-16-2004, 11:14 PM
By Steve Keating

HOUSTON (Reuters) - Former world heavyweight champion Evander Holyfield was placed on indefinite medical suspension by the New York State Athletic Commission Tuesday and could be forced into retirement if he fails a fitness test.

The 42-year-old Holyfield lost a unanimous 12-round decision to unheralded Larry Donald Saturday.

"I'm not looking to end his career if it's not warranted, but the health and safety of the boxer is the main concern of the state commission," NYSAC chairman Ron Stevens told the New York Daily Mail.

"To my practiced mind, Holyfield shouldn't be fighting any more. It's the responsibility of the state athletic commission to save a boxer from himself.

"Evander Holyfield has absorbed enough punishment throughout his great career. It's time the bleeding stopped."

The ruling means that Holyfield must undergo an examination by the commission's doctor before he can be cleared to box again in the United States.

All other state commissions honor New York suspensions.

One of the best fighters of his generation, the highlights of Holyfield's battles in the ring over the last 20 years were his epic contests with Mike Tyson and Lennox Lewis.

His career has been in sharp decline though, winning just one of his last six bouts.

Holyfield has repeatedly dismissed pleas for him to retire saying he remains determined to become the undisputed heavyweight champion one more time.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=577&e=3&u=/nm/20041116/sp_nm/boxing_holyfield_dc

redblkwht
11-17-2004, 12:26 AM
Shoulda hung up the boots in the last Tyson fight..IMO-
hes done, brain damage will be the next effect if he continues
if not so already-;)

JCOOK
11-17-2004, 05:05 AM
Two words Muhammed Ali.. The whole reason Cassius Clay is like he is
is beacuse of the hands of SKOKIN JOE FRAZIER. Let it go Evander.

Warham
11-17-2004, 07:39 AM
I am sorry to see Evander wasting his legacy like this. He was one of the top five heavyweights ever. I still believe he will be regarded as one, once he stops this nonsense and retires.

The first Tyson/Holyfield fight will probably always remain my favorite.

rustoffa
11-17-2004, 08:23 PM
Who knows....maybe he'll go see the faith healer again and re-emerge with a decent jab replacing the head-but fixation.

ALinChainz
11-17-2004, 08:27 PM
He hasn't been just beaten, he has been dominated by fighters that would have never lasted with him, let alone beat him.

And outpointing him ...

Mezro
11-17-2004, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by redblkwht
brain damage will be the next effect if he continues
if not so already-;)

Brain damage is already there.

Mezro...he has to be pretty impaired already...the fact he keeps fighting supports that idea...

redblkwht
11-18-2004, 01:58 AM
Originally posted by JCOOK
Two words Muhammed Ali.. The whole reason Cassius Clay is like he is
is beacuse of the hands of SKOKIN JOE FRAZIER. Let it go Evander. I beg to differ, George Forman knocked Frazier
out of his socks..it was George that did in that fight, he gave ALI all he
had, watch espn classic dude..its true.The more Ali fought after that
the more he was done in..

Vanstonica
11-18-2004, 02:05 PM
He should have retired 3 or 4 years ago. If'd he'd gone out after the last Tyson fight, people would be mentioning him as one of the all-time greats.

DlocRoth
11-18-2004, 02:26 PM
Fuckin dude is still rock hard tho.

Never really had any power.

His bain is mush tho.

He has to keep fightin to raise those 20 kids he has.

BrownSound1
11-20-2004, 02:00 AM
Nah, Ali took everything George Foreman gave him...talked shit to him the whole time. Joe Frazier gave Ali his toughest fights....and it was after those that Ali started his decline. What's sad about Ali is that he didn't get to box during his prime years, due to the draft dodging judgement. However, Ali is still the best overall I've ever seen in the heavyweight division.

DLR7884
11-24-2004, 12:21 PM
HOLYFIELD IS PRETTY MUCH PARTIALLY RETARDED AT THIS POINT.

HE NEEDS TO HANG IT UP.

DLR7884
IT'S FUCKING EMBARASSING.