PDA

View Full Version : Rapper Eminem Tops U.S. Charts with 'Encore'

Figs
11-17-2004, 11:40 AM
I thought he would be big on this message board...

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=769&e=1&u=/nm/20041117/music_nm/leisure_eminem_dc

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Eminem (news - web sites) fans have turned out en masse to snap up their rap idol's newest album, propelling it to No. 1 on the U.S. pop charts after just three days in release.

"Encore," the fourth album from the Oscar-winning bad-boy of hip-hop, registered one of the biggest openings of the year by selling just over 700,000 copies in the week ended Nov. 14, according to Nielsen SoundScan data provided on Tuesday by his Interscope Records label.

But while most albums are released on a Tuesday, allowing them to garner six days' worth of sales before the books are closed on Sunday, Interscope released "Encore" four days ahead of schedule last Friday to combat physical and online piracy.

The 32-year-old rapper also topped the UK charts with a two-day sales total of 122,500 copies.

His last album, 2002's "The Eminem Show," which was also moved up on the release schedule, debuted at No. 1 in the United States with 284,500 copies after just one day of official release. As is common with rap albums, both his albums went on sale in many outlets at least a day or two ahead of the official street date.

The score for "Encore" represents the fourth-best debut this year, behind R&B singer Usher's "Confessions" (1.1 million copies), jazz singer Norah Jones (news)' "Feel Like Home" (1.0 million) and country star Tim McGraw's "Live Like You Were Dying" (766,000).

Eminem, who won the original song Academy Award last year, is generating heavy MTV airplay for his new anti-war animated video "Mosh," in which he leads the disaffected masses through the streets so that they can register to vote.

Interscope Records is a unit of Vivendi Universal SA's Universal Music Group.

diamondsgirl
11-17-2004, 12:52 PM
my kids were listening to one of the tunes off of this CD and I listened in to some of the lyrics. Pretty funny shit, actually. The guy has a great sense of humor.

EmpyreLounge44
11-17-2004, 01:47 PM
guy is a great lyricist/writer. say what you will, but he has some skill. the new disc isnt as strong as the last one but still real solid

Figs
11-17-2004, 01:52 PM
I thought My Name Is was pretty funny. Move Yourself ws ok. I hate the crap where he's bitching about Moby, or Christina Aguleira (sp?), etc. Who fucking cares? Well, I guess a lot of people do... But anyway, I guess I will be hearing this crap on my "modern rock" station; they always seem to play his stuff heavily when it comes out, then you never hear it again after a few months.

BrownSound1
11-17-2004, 06:59 PM
Rap sucks monster elephant cocks.

Steve Savicki
11-18-2004, 08:56 AM
Definitely not a talented form of music that's for sure.
No wonder it's classified in it own section at the music stores LOL!

Wayne L.
11-18-2004, 11:59 AM
Eminem is one of the most overrated artist in the history of rock & rap just like Bruce Springsteen before him while I hope he goes away for good because he's worthless.

Shaun Ponsonby
11-18-2004, 12:02 PM
He has no talent at rapping (something you don't need much talent for,anyway) OR acting,

Hip hop has always been about as good as dying. I pity rap fans.

monkeythe
11-19-2004, 08:33 PM
Why does the media suck this guys cock? Are they afraid that if they give him a bad review they will wind up in one of his songs.
I got suckered into seeing that piece of crap film and vowed to never trust the critics again.
In all fairness, he is a really tough guy. I thought he was going to shoot Triump the Comic dog at the MTV awards.

DLRDUDE
11-19-2004, 09:01 PM
Only song I know by him is that one about"Trailer park girls go 'round the outside" and that is some funny stuff. Guess I'll begin another argument but why are the first 3 or 4 replies positive and then one person calls it $hit and here come the followers? I, nevermind

Vivian Campbell
11-19-2004, 10:27 PM
I thought "Ice Ice Baby" was a really solid song.

BrownSound1
11-20-2004, 01:25 AM
I have no respect for rappers....mainly because other than making rhymes they have no musical talent as a general rule. They get some dude to sample and cut and splice other peoples music, and then they just rhyme over it. I love it when they try to sing....actually makes Hagar sound great.

Fabulous Shadow
11-20-2004, 01:55 AM
I love Em... His music makes me want to dance...

http://launch.yahoo.com/video/default.asp?showtext=Y&vid=1112809&tw=msn_msncomv9&cid=1&ps=25&bw=&fs=&redirectURL=/musicvideos/

Steve Savicki
11-20-2004, 09:44 AM
Speaking of rap in general, I just heard something new today... isn't there some rip off rap "tune" covering Ozzy's "Crazy Train"?

twonabomber
11-20-2004, 09:54 AM
i think that's Lil John.

twonabomber
11-20-2004, 10:05 AM
and i don't care...but that Eminem vid where he's rippin' on Michael Jackson is hysterical.

Lou
11-20-2004, 12:34 PM
As my former employer used to say:

"I hate that douchebag. I'd like to find him in a back alley somewhere and kick the shit out of him."

WARF
11-20-2004, 01:14 PM
Eminem is cool for commerical hip hop.
It's TEN times better than any of that thug music, with no lyricism whatsoever. However, it's not as good as pure hip hop like KRS-ONE or anything released from A tribe called quest.

DLRDUDE
11-20-2004, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by Vivian Campbell
I thought "Ice Ice Baby" was a really solid song.

You probably got me but wasn't that by Vanilla Ice? It's in the name:)

LickMyCream
11-20-2004, 06:53 PM
the video My Band was hilarious. I especially got a kick when they spoofed G N' R

Mothereffer
11-21-2004, 06:13 PM
Eminem sucks. What the fuck is so good about this mothereffer?

The guys got some depth to his lyrics but his beats SUCK. That new faggoty-ass single where he mocks Michael Jackson sucks.

Eminem is just an angry Vanilla Ice.