PDA

View Full Version : Documents show problem of Big Dig leaks is widespread

lucky wilbury
11-17-2004, 06:30 PM
http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2004/11/17/documents_show_problem_of_big_dig_leaks_is_widespr ead/

Documents show problem of Big Dig leaks is widespread
By Steve Leblanc, Associated Press Writer | November 17, 2004

BOSTON -- Leaks in the Big Dig tunnel system are more widespread than state officials have acknowledged, and top construction managers warned as far back as 1998 about problems that could cause failures in tunnel waterproofing efforts, records show.

Documents obtained by The Boston Globe show there are nearly 700 leaks in a single 1,000-foot section of the Interstate 93 tunnels beneath South Station. And project managers have collectively signed off on at least $10 million in cost overruns to repair the leaks and water damage since early 2001, the records show.

Earlier this month, a team of independent engineers hired by the state to investigate a massive September leak in the I-93 tunnel said the $14.6 billion Big Dig was riddled with more than 400 leaks throughout the tunnel system. Project managers and state officials have insisted that the tunnels are safe for motorists.

The project -- formally known as the Central Artery/Third Harbor Tunnel project -- replaced the elevated Central Artery of I-93 with underground tunnels through downtown Boston, connected the Massachusetts Turnpike to Logan International Airport and added the Ted Williams Tunnel beneath Boston Harbor.

Attorney General Tom Reilly said Wednesday that it's too early to assign blame, but said the "problem is far broader than one person" and that the cost of the repairs will run into the millions.

"We need these engineers to put their heads together and come up with a solution," he said. "These companies have national and global reputations that are going to follow them from this project."

Turnpike Chairman Matthew Amorello said the work continues to seal the leaks. He said it's important to remember that the tunnel is still under construction and that a certain number of smaller leaks are expected in a project the size of the Big Dig.

"Not only is the roof of the tunnel not yet fully installed, but there are also a number of locations where the underpinnings for the old elevated artery need to be removed," he said. "Until that is done, it's impossible to know the exact origin of all this water infiltration."

He also said the tunnel is safe and the leaks can be fixed.

Project Manager Michael Lewis said there were about 10,000 locations in the tunnel where roof girders connect to wall panels. He said there was some water seepage in about 1,000 of those connections, and about half of them have been fixed.

"Our contract requires a dry tunnel, but dry doesn't mean bone dry," he said. "All tunnels leak. All tunnels take on water."

Amorello also named a liaison between the project and the Turnpike board to help keep the board up to date with any new problems. The liaison, or ombudsman, will be given authority to look at documents and talk to anyone on the project.

John Christian, a geotechnical engineer, will hold the new post. Christian headed up a committee that released a report commissioned by the Turnpike last year recommending ways to save money and speed Big Dig construction by improving management and honing oversight.

Amorello also pledged to begin holding weekly press briefings to update progress on the project.

The new documents obtained by the Globe include memoranda, diagrams, photographs and correspondence pertaining to the Central Artery tunnels. They show that the Massachusetts Turnpike Authority, which oversees the Big Dig, and the project's private manager Bechtel/Parsons Brinckerhoff established a Leak Task Force early in 2001.

They are currently allocating $250,000 a month to send repair teams into virtually all sections of the tunnels.

Project officials have acknowledged that as early as 1999, contractors on the costliest highway project in U.S. history knew that serious construction flaws existed in the walls of the tunnels directing traffic under downtown Boston.

However, an internal memo circulated by managers within Bechtel/Parsons and obtained by the Boston Herald, raised concerns in June 1998 that waterproofing at the roof and base of tunnel walls would fail unless leaks were repaired.

Doug Hanchett, a spokesman for the Turnpike Authority, said the agency has made progress in controlling the leak problem, and is working to recoup costs from contractors.

The problem with waterproofing the tunnels stems in part from an apparent project-wide failure in the original design -- a critical feature of a tunnel that sits almost entirely beneath the salty water table of downtown Boston.

In a confidential report commissioned by the Turnpike Authority in 2001 by the auditing firm Deloitte & Touche, the Globe reported, project officials acknowledged that "the original design provided insufficient protection against leaking" at the top of tunnel walls.

Meanwhile, Gov. Mitt Romney is pressing ahead with his quest to fire Amorello, saying someone with more technical expertise is needed. But it's not clear whether the governor can oust the former state senator because the Turnpike Authority is an independent authority and a majority of board members are publicly backing Amorello.

lucky wilbury
11-17-2004, 06:30 PM
and just think everyone YOU get to pay for it!

lucky wilbury
11-17-2004, 06:31 PM
and the subtitle to the thread should 1,000 leaks not 1,00

BigBadBrian
11-17-2004, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by lucky wilbury
and just think everyone YOU get to pay for it!

A Kennedy/Kerry vodka-infested boondoggle. :bottle:

Nickdfresh
11-17-2004, 07:52 PM
It is a fucking disaster area. But it is not run by Kerry/Kennedy. It's run by the city of Boston and at the state level. But man is it fucked up-although, still kind of cool to drive through (if you don't miond water pouring on your car).

The Big Dig

lucky wilbury
11-17-2004, 07:56 PM
paid for by the federal government. kennedy and tip o neil overode reagan's veto and got it passed. the whole country is paying for it and any problems it has as well. it's gone from 2.9 billion to 15 billion. your federal government in action!

Nickdfresh
11-17-2004, 08:24 PM
paid for by the federal government. kennedy and tip o neil overode reagan's veto and got it passed. the whole country is paying for it and any problems it has as well. it's gone from 2.9 billion to 15 billion. your federal government in action!

True, but you and I know that the bad dig is far from the only waste of public money. And O'Neil was trying to solve a significant mass transit problem. You can't blame him for that. Have you ever driven in Boston? I agree somebody should go to jail here, but we have to look at the people who were supposed to build the fucking thing.:drive: :elvis: Their are a lot of politicians that could be crucified for pork gluttony, like the Senate for instance.

ODShowtime
11-17-2004, 08:24 PM
I can think of plenty of fucked up things the gov't is doing with my money.

John Ashcroft
11-17-2004, 08:40 PM
[Attorney General Tom Reilly said Wednesday that it's too early to assign blame, but said the "problem is far broader than one person"...

Well, uncle Ted is pretty broad (the fat fucker!).

Doesn't "management" usually take the brunt of the blame when projects fail??? I mean, I remember listening to Kerry and Dean blame President Bush for mad cow disease. "After all, it happened under his administration!"

Maybe Teddy and senator Kerry should be fired...

Nickdfresh
11-17-2004, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by John Ashcroft
Well, uncle Ted is pretty broad (the fat fucker!).

Doesn't "management" usually take the brunt of the blame when projects fail??? I mean, I remember listening to Kerry and Dean blame President Bush for mad cow disease. "After all, it happened under his administration!"

Maybe Teddy and senator Kerry should be fired...

Why would MA fire them? They did their job, they got the massive pork funds from the lavish, free-spending Bush adminstration. Isn't that what it's all about, getting their fair pork share. Why should your local Okie Senator (whoever he is) get all the luscious federal pork?;)

John Ashcroft
11-17-2004, 08:49 PM
Actually, the dig was funded well before the Bush administration.

And for the record, Oklahoma recieves alot less federal funding than most states. And also for the record, this illustrates a key difference in ideology between conservatives and liberals. Why in the hell should any state send money to the Federal government only to beg for it back? Most of these issues can (and should) be handled at the state level, with state funding.

And they should live like the rest of us do. If you can't afford it, don't buy it.

Nickdfresh
11-17-2004, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by John Ashcroft
Actually, the dig was funded well before the Bush administration.

And for the record, Oklahoma recieves alot less federal funding than most states. And also for the record, this illustrates a key difference in ideology between conservatives and liberals. Why in the hell should any state send money to the Federal government only to beg for it back? Most of these issues can (and should) be handled at the state level, with state funding.

And they should live like the rest of us do. If you can't afford it, don't buy it.

Is their anything worth building in Oklahoma that would require federal funding? I bet MA also pays a hell of a lot more in taxes and generates more GNP revenue as well. That Bad Dig, which I agree that certain people should be shot for (some of whom my brother can name since he is an engineer in the Boston area), was not designed by Kennedy, nor did he do the work. And I think it actually began sometime around the Lincoln Administration.:D

lucky wilbury
11-17-2004, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh
True, but you and I know that the bad dig is far from the only waste of public money. And O'Neil was trying to solve a significant mass transit problem. You can't blame him for that. Have you ever driven in Boston? I agree somebody should go to jail here, but we have to look at the people who were supposed to build the fucking thing.:drive: :elvis: Their are a lot of politicians that could be crucified for pork gluttony, like the Senate for instance.

guess where i live? taxachussetts! just outside of boston to boot. the central artery was falling down literally but the project was so miss managed it's not funny. millions of dollars went everywhere but the project. millions to the museum of science,political campiagns etc etc etc. after the first few year it became everyone slush fund. as far as anyone going to jail or losing their job don't count on it. rommney already asked people to resign and they said no so their still on the job. for more info check http://www.bigdig.com/

Dr. Love
11-17-2004, 09:57 PM
Changed the thread subtitle for you, Lucky.

Nickdfresh
11-17-2004, 09:59 PM
guess where i live? taxachussetts! just outside of boston to boot. the central artery was falling down literally but the project was so miss managed it's not funny. millions of dollars went everywhere but the project. millions to the museum of science,political campiagns etc etc etc. after the first few year it became everyone slush fund. as far as anyone going to jail or losing their job don't count on it. rommney already asked people to resign and they said no so their still on the job. for more info check http://www.bigdig.com/

That is a huge debacle. So is it closed? Can you drive in it at all?

Nickdfresh
11-17-2004, 10:00 PM

That is a huge debacle. So is it closed? Can you drive in it at all? No wonder why everyone drives angry there.

lucky wilbury
11-18-2004, 01:15 AM
part of one of the tunnels is closed because it flooded out. or it was closed it all depends on the day. hour really

Nickdfresh
11-18-2004, 07:46 AM
Good thing the Red Sox won or people would be burning down the city.

lucky wilbury
11-18-2004, 12:55 PM
no they still had riots. those kids at northastern are quite good at tipping cars

Nickdfresh
11-18-2004, 12:57 PM
no they still had riots. those kids at northastern are quite good at tipping cars

True, and the cops need better aim with the tear gas guns.

Warham
11-18-2004, 01:45 PM
I'll have to remember to stay clear of Boston over the next few years.

:D