PDA

View Full Version : Pedro heading to the Bronx?

Bob_R
11-17-2004, 07:24 PM
Sometimes George Steinbrenner does his own negotiating, and on Tuesday he met face-to-face with the most prominent free agent pitcher on the market -- Pedro Martinez, who, to date, has not accepted a two-year, $27.5 million offer from the Boston Red Sox.

Steinbrenner loves stars, has always been enamored with the idea of taking stars away from the rival Red Sox, and it seems unlikely that he would meet with Martinez without having some intention of making at least a competitive offer.

"We had a good meeting," was all Steinbrenner said in a statement.

Two American League executives -- one had spoken with the Yankees, the other had been in contact with Martinez's agents -- told ESPN.com's Jayson Stark that Tuesday's meeting in Tampa was requested by Martinez's agent, Fernando Cuza.

Cuza, Martinez and Cuza's partner, Pat Rooney, flew to Tampa and requested a meeting with Steinbrenner and some of the club's Tampa-based officials, the sources said.

Cuza, according to The Associated Press, said the meeting "was good."

It's a situation that probably concerns some Yankees officials: At a time when the club needs to get younger and is locked up in long-term contracts with older players, Steinbrenner is wooing a 33-year-old right-hander who has shown signs of wear-and-tear in recent years.

Since the Yankees lost the 2001 World Series to Arizona, Steinbrenner has increasingly worked independently of his highest-ranked baseball executives, including general manager Brian Cashman and longtime official Gene Michael, with mixed results.

Martinez and his agents opted to deal directly with Steinbrenner, since the Yankees executives in New York had indicated no real interest in the pitcher, sources told Stark. That tactic for negotiations was used successfully last winter by both Gary Sheffield and Kenny Lofton.

One source told Stark the Yankees' New York operation wasn't aware Tuesday's meeting with Martinez was taking place until hours before it occurred.

Steinbrenner arranged a two-year deal with David Wells in January of 2002, despite the fact that many within the organization believed Wells was unreliable and unprofessional, and Wells pitched well in the regular season -- but was unable to go past the first inning of Game 5 of the 2003 World Series because of back trouble.

Steinbrenner ordered a trade for right fielder Raul Mondesi in the midst of the 2002 season, and Mondesi was a disaster. Last fall, Steinbrenner met with free-agent outfielder Sheffield and reached a handshake agreement on a contract; when Sheffield tried to back out of that deal, the Yankees' baseball executives worked to near-completion on a deal with slugger Vladimir Guerrero -- a player they preferred because he is eight years younger than Sheffield.

But Sheffield capitulated in the negotiations, and Steinbrenner ordered the signing of Sheffield -- who finished second in the AL MVP voting that was announced Tuesday. Guerrero won the award, his first.

Now Steinbrenner has moved on Martinez, a longtime arch-enemy of the Yankees. He had once dominated them, setting a single-game strikeout record for an opposing pitcher when he whiffed 17 Yankees in September 1999, beating them in Game 3 of the American League Championship Series that fall.

But Martinez mostly has struggled to beat the Yankees since then, frustrations that prompted him to say once that he would drill the Bambino in the rear if somebody woke up the deceased slugger, and then, late this year, said that perhaps he would have to call the Yankees his daddies. Martinez has probably been the opposing player most despised in the Yankees' clubhouse, after he's hit some of the Yankees repeatedly and after the on-field brawl in the 2003 playoffs, which concluded with Martinez throwing then-coach Don Zimmer to the ground. Recently, Yankees catcher Jorge Posada said that if Martinez signed with the Yankees, all would be forgotten.

It may be that Steinbrenner and Martinez are using each other in this dalliance -- Steinbrenner, to drive up the price that Boston eventually pays to the All-Star pitcher, and Martinez, in invoking the Yankees to get more money out of the Red Sox.

But it's also possible that Steinbrenner wants Martinez, who has a career record of 182-76 with an ERA of 2.71; based on his record of dominance, he is virtually a lock to be voted into Hall of Fame one day. Martinez went 16-9 for Boston last season, with a 3.90 ERA, and he struck out 227 batters in 217 innings. Increasingly, there has been concern that Martinez has trouble getting loose in cold weather, a problem that could reflect shoulder trouble.

Steinbrenner may look past that, however. Maybe he's ready to give Martinez a four-year offer, some deal written out on a napkin. The possibility might worry Yankees executives more than those of the Red Sox.

Igosplut
11-17-2004, 08:44 PM
I bet Stein DOES give him a four year deal......

Red Sox nation can only hope Steinbrenner fails to listen to his advisers and acts on his own.........

lucky wilbury
11-17-2004, 09:57 PM
i think once he signs a deal and the ink drys he'll announce he needs shoulder surgery or something

TLR
11-17-2004, 11:16 PM
Petey in pinstripes...well, at least he'll look taller.

redblkwht
11-18-2004, 02:11 AM
I dont see Pedro in NY, hes just stroking george for
boston to ante up their offer.

he will retire in Boston.:D

Igosplut
11-18-2004, 06:45 AM
The New York post had a funny front page about that.

They don't want him.....

Island Boy
11-18-2004, 09:36 AM
Being a Yankee fan I think i would puke if I saw Pedro in a Yankee uniform!!!

Carmine
11-18-2004, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by joe23602
Being a Yankee fan I think i would puke if I saw Pedro in a Yankee uniform!!!

At first I may react the same way. But, remember when they signed Clemens. Yankee fans in general were pissed at first, I was. I think if they do sign Pedro, it will be good in the longterm. Every "new" yankee must become a YANKEE on the field!

Carmine
11-18-2004, 09:56 AM
Oh and BTW...the first things George told him were "Lose the midget" and " cut your hair". "Then I'll give you my checkbook!"

Figs
11-18-2004, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by Carmine Raguzza.
At first I may react the same way. But, remember when they signed Clemens. Yankee fans in general were pissed at first, I was. I think if they do sign Pedro, it will be good in the longterm. Every "new" yankee must become a YANKEE on the field!

Yes, but do you think he has the durability of Clemens?

Carmine
11-18-2004, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by Figs
Yes, but do you think he has the durability of Clemens?

New environment, New set of standards, I think he still has about 3 maybe 4 good years left. I also think that his lack of stuff the last few years are due to the fact that he acts like a F'n retard off the field...which you know will not be tolerated if he is in stripes! Clemens said in a recent interview, that WHEN he retires he has a deal in place to work with the yankees pitching staff, in spring training and during the year(may be why Stottlemeyer decided to return). If Clemens is working with the staff, he can definitly help Pedro and all of them for that matter with their lack of durability! We all know he trains like a Mutha!

TLR
11-18-2004, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by Igosplut
The New York post had a funny front page about that.

They don't want him.....

Who cares what The Post wants. :-)

George gets what George wants.

Carmine
11-18-2004, 10:58 AM
yep, he sure does!

Igosplut
11-18-2004, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by TLR
Who cares what The Post wants. :)

George gets what George wants.

He didnt get the last four world series.......

TLR
11-18-2004, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by Igosplut
He didnt get the last four world series.......

I wasn't referring to that...I was referring, rather, to personnel. However, I'm not complaining he hasn't won any rings as of late.

Warham
11-18-2004, 01:51 PM
New environment, New set of standards, I think he still has about 3 maybe 4 good years left. I also think that his lack of stuff the last few years are due to the fact that he acts like a F'n retard off the field...which you know will not be tolerated if he is in stripes! Clemens said in a recent interview, that WHEN he retires he has a deal in place to work with the yankees pitching staff, in spring training and during the year(may be why Stottlemeyer decided to return). If Clemens is working with the staff, he can definitly help Pedro and all of them for that matter with their lack of durability! We all know he trains like a Mutha!

That's funny. Being a Yankee never stopped David Wells from being a retard off the field. I guess the grass isn't greener on the other side.

CROWBAR
11-18-2004, 04:00 PM
I don't see Pedro in a Yanks uniform. Nope.

Bob_R
11-20-2004, 10:11 AM
There's a story in today's paper that reads Steinbrenner has offered Pedro $50 million to join the Yankees.

Nickdfresh
11-20-2004, 10:52 AM
I know it's the off season and all, but is his arm still tired?

Igosplut
11-24-2004, 06:36 AM
Originally posted by EVH FANATIC
There's a story in today's paper that reads Steinbrenner has offered Pedro $50 million to join the Yankees.

Yep, they just went public with it today. 50 M and four years...

And it's reported that the Mets are stepping up with a offer too....

Island Boy
11-24-2004, 11:34 AM

Yea but I had alot more respect for Roger when he came over!!!

If I see this I will get sick!!!!!

lucky wilbury
11-24-2004, 12:48 PM
let pedro go to the mets not the yankees!