PDA

View Full Version : Progressive Rock

Pages : [1] 2

Shaun Ponsonby
11-18-2004, 11:15 AM
I was just wondering, because I can never talk about Prog to anybody-because not many people I know actually know what the fuck it is.Just my dad and some of his mates. When I play it to MY friends-they hear a 20-odd minute 'Close To The Edge' and go-What the fuck is this?!?!?!?

I love a bit of Yes, or Emerson Lake And Palmer, or Pink Floyd. Actually I've been hearing some great new(ish) bands from Europe like The Flower Kings (first time I heard them-I thought it was Yes) and a great band from America called Spock's Beard (I reccommend their album 'Snow' to all)

bueno bob
11-18-2004, 11:53 AM
My faves (no order):

Yes
Shadow Gallery
Fates Warning
Emerson, Lake & Palmer
Kansas
Dream Theater
Blind Guardian
Savatage

I can dig it :)

Shaun Ponsonby
11-18-2004, 11:56 AM
Shadow Gallery-I've only heard/got one of their albums (Legacy), but I really like what I've heard-definatley need to get some more.

You heard of Symphony X, Mr Bob?

bueno bob
11-18-2004, 12:13 PM
I would suggest "Tyranny", if you can locate it - that was my introduction, and it was great; neat little concept album about a shadow corporation and tech domination, so on and so forth...don't quite remember the details specifically, but it's an awesome album.

I've heard OF S-X, but I haven't yet had an opportunity to hear them, although I've been looking to - maybe I should go download some here today and see what I've been missing...

Wa Wa Zat
11-18-2004, 01:01 PM
Oh Yeah, I Love Prog!!!! Kept me going through the Grunge years. Just recently saw Yes & Dream Theater in Concord...Great show!!! Marillion at the Fillmore.........Excellent Show!!!! Missed the Strawbs acoustic show in Berkeley, though........Favorite bands:

70's:

Yes
ELP
Genesis
Kansas
Gentle Giant
PFM
Strawbs
Ambrosia - Yes,THAT Ambrosia
King Crimson
Van Der Graf Generator

80's:

Marillion
Twelfth Night
It Bites

90's to now:

Dream Theater
Spocks' Beard
Ad Infinitum
Ayreon
Magellan
Cairo

Fusion is great as well:

Dixe Dregs
Al Dimeola
Return To Forever
Mahavishnu Orchestra
Billy Cobham
James Murphy
Liquid Tension Experiment

I probably forgot somebody, but that's the brakes.
:D

secrets
11-18-2004, 01:31 PM
I love progressive rock.

I recommend the following bands:

Rush

Pink Floyd

Dream Theater

Marillion (Fish era)

Ozric Tentacles

Only heard one track by Spock's Beard but it was great. It was on that Classic rock free CD.

bueno bob
11-18-2004, 01:41 PM
Oh, I almost forgot Camel and Opeth in my list :)

Mucho killer shit!!

Shaun Ponsonby
11-18-2004, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by secrets
I love progressive rock.

I recommend the following bands:

Rush

Pink Floyd

Dream Theater

Marillion (Fish era)

Ozric Tentacles

Only heard one track by Spock's Beard but it was great. It was on that Classic rock free CD.

You get 5 votes just for the fact that you KNOW who Ozric Tentacles are. Nobody I know can even pronounce the name. My mate Matt keeps calling them 'Ostrich's Testacles'!!! Do you have the 'Pongmasters Ball' DVD?
Saw them at the LOMAX in Liverpool (recently re-named Carling Academy-like everywhere else) and they were about an hour late opening the doors. Talking to Ed (guitar) after the show and he said the bus broke down. I mean, we were watching the soundcheck.

Spock's Beard aren't as good as they used to be. The mainman,Neal Morse-who used to write all their stuff- has left to become a full-time christian. Actually, his 2 Christian-prog albums are very good. 'Testimony' was a concept about his religeous history and his new one 'One'-I only got today and haven't listened to it yet.
If you want really good Spock's stuff check out 'Snow' or 'V' or 'The Light' or 'The Kindness Of Strangers'-they're the best ones.

Also, Morse was in Transatlantic-a Prog supergroup with Marillion's Pete Trewevas (bass), Dream Theatre's Mike Portnoy (Drums) and The Flower King's Roine Stolt (Guitar). Their 2 albums (SMPTE/Bridge Across Forever) are definately worth getting. Or perhaps you should get the 'Live In Europe' DVD/CD package.

Mr Badguy
11-18-2004, 02:46 PM
I love all of that stuff, particularly Rush, Yes and (Fish era) Marillion.

However, one of my favourite Prog albums, and a largely forgotten one, is Jeff Wayne`s "War of the worlds".

Anyone else got it?

You`d never get away with an album like that now.

It`s amazing that you could ever make an album like that back then and it would actually chart.

What the fuck is wrong with music fans these days?

The are totally closed to something that radical.

secrets
11-18-2004, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by Shaun Ponsonby
You get 5 votes just for the fact that you KNOW who Ozric Tentacles are. Nobody I know can even pronounce the name. My mate Matt keeps calling them 'Ostrich's Testacles'!!! Do you have the 'Pongmasters Ball' DVD?
Saw them at the LOMAX in Liverpool (recently re-named Carling Academy-like everywhere else) and they were about an hour late opening the doors. Talking to Ed (guitar) after the show and he said the bus broke down. I mean, we were watching the soundcheck.

Thanks Shaun,
You're also the only person here at Roth Army I think who's heard of the Ozrics.
Don't have Pongmasters Ball, but I've got Strangeitude, Jurassic Shift and the new best of CD.

Ed Wynne is a great player.

Shaun Ponsonby
11-19-2004, 01:33 PM
I really reccommend the DVD-it's funny to watch the camera guy pull away quickly when Champignan (as he was calling himself at the time-he keeps changing his name, I have no idea what to call him-I just refer to him as Fluteman) lights a splif. On the backstage extra they're lighting them backstage and the director has blurred their hands out-as if you can't tell what they're doing, you know.

And, Mr. Badguy, I do have 'WOTW'-but, I haven't listened to it for AGES. Richard Burton was perfect to narrate that-his speaking voice is spot-on. Did you hear the Spartacus 'sequal' with Anthony Hopkins-cos that sucked. Disappointing. I'd love to hear the whole thing live. Bring David Essex etc in to do their characters again. That would be a great gig, don't you think?

nosuchluck
11-19-2004, 02:59 PM
hell yes!
prog rock owns!!
Rush
Yes
Dream Theater
Vanden Plas
Ozric Tentacles
Symphony X
Shadow Gallery
Explorer's Club
Gordian Knot
Transatlantic
Spock's Beard
Platypus
Pink Floyd
Marillion
The Flower Kings
Porcupine Tree
Savatage
Fates Warning
King Crimson!(where it all began)
Kansas
ELP
Blind Guardian
Pendragon
Sylvan
Gentle Giant

i love it all!

WACF
11-19-2004, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by Mr Badguy

Todays music fans have been dumbed down.....

Mr Badguy
11-19-2004, 05:14 PM
And, Mr. Badguy, I do have 'WOTW'-but, I haven't listened to it for AGES. Richard Burton was perfect to narrate that-his speaking voice is spot-on. Did you hear the Spartacus 'sequal' with Anthony Hopkins-cos that sucked. Disappointing. I'd love to hear the whole thing live. Bring David Essex etc in to do their characters again. That would be a great gig, don't you think?

Yes, although Richard Burton and Philip Lynott are both dead.

There are maybe one or two bits that are a bit dodgy but the music fits the story perfectly and the ending with the NASA communication from Mars still sends shivers up the spine.

Golden AWe
11-19-2004, 07:33 PM
If you ever get the chance, try these two finnish bands: WIGWAM and TASAVALLAN PRESIDENTTI.

Or, if some of you has the MSN Messenger or a e-mail that can hold up to 5-6 mb of stuff, I could send you a song or two.

You won't be disappointed.

Shaun Ponsonby
11-20-2004, 08:20 AM
Yes, although Richard Burton and Philip Lynott are both dead.

You could probably find someone to do their parts for them. Anthony Hopkins narrating, perhaps. And maybe Bono standing in for Phil Lynott.

Shaun Ponsonby
11-20-2004, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by Golden AWe
If you ever get the chance, try these two finnish bands: WIGWAM and TASAVALLAN PRESIDENTTI.

You won't be disappointed.

Thanks for the tip.

Marlowe01
11-20-2004, 12:03 PM
Pink Floyd is fucking amazing! Also, I like bands like the Alan Parsons Project, too. Prog-rock is good stuff.

Shaun Ponsonby
11-21-2004, 10:29 AM
Alan Parsons Project-there's a band you don't hear enough of. They are only doing one show in the UK next year-and two last year. Shame-I'd like to see them.

Anyone see The Nice on their reunion tour?

Wa Wa Zat
11-21-2004, 09:49 PM
You also do not hear enough of the REAL Journey (The first 3 Pre-Steve Perry Fusion/Prog albums). I just picked up a boot of some unreleased fusion stuff. Now try being a frustrated early Journey fan knowing that they will NEVER go back to that sound.

Same with Ambrosia, I always thought that they were just some top40 Michael McDonald/Doobie Bros. wanna be band.......Then I heard their Prog songs........Cool stuff!!!

09-02-1984
11-22-2004, 05:11 AM
Originally posted by nosuchluck
... Pendragon ...

Great band "Nosuch"!

(I think Nick Barrett is an excellent guitarist)

Their new album is due in 2005 :D

Think that list of yours covers it bar one or two ......

Saga
A.C.T

nosuchluck
11-24-2004, 08:52 AM
will surely look out for that one!

DaveIsKing
11-24-2004, 11:16 AM
FLOYD ARE GODS

PARSONS PROJECT

DREAM THEATER (KICKS ASS)

RUSH

SYMPHONY X

secrets
02-18-2005, 06:37 PM
This site is just amazing you'll find free downloads by most of the bands recommended here plus a whole lot more check it out:

http://www.progarchives.com/

Soul Reaper
02-19-2005, 08:50 AM
I don't know many prog bands, but from what I've heard it's really cool:

My favs:
Dream Theater
Pink Floyd
Rush
Frank Zappa

I've heard of Ozric Tentacles but are they any good?

Does Muse come under prog-rock?

Shaun Ponsonby
02-19-2005, 12:22 PM
I wouldn't put Muse under Prog, although they have had their prog moments.

Ozric Tentacles are very good. They are on tour soon, try and get down there.

I would also recommend YES. They define prog as far as I am concerned. ELP are great. Frank Zappa wasn't really prog. I don't think you could possibly catagorise Zappa.

Symphony X are good if you like your Prog-metal.

Also, Spock's Beard were good before Neal Morse quit, and Neal Morse did a project with (Dream Theatre's) Mike Portnoy, (The Flower King's) Roine Stolt and (Marillion's) Pete Trefdf fyugfu (can't actually spell his surname). And Morse's 'Testimaony' and 'One albums are good as well.

nosuchluck
02-19-2005, 12:27 PM

Also, Spock's Beard were good before Neal Morse quit, and Neal Morse did a project with (Dream Theatre's) Mike Portnoy, (The Flower King's) Roine Stolt and (Marillion's) Pete Trefdf fyugfu (can't actually spell his surname). And Morse's 'Testimaony' and 'One albums are good as well.

that side project is called Transatlantic - Neal Morse, Mike Portnoy, Roine Stolt and Pete Trewavas. they made 2 really good albums - 'SMPTe' and 'Bridge Across Forever'. worth checking out.

Soul Reaper
02-19-2005, 12:30 PM
Are King Crimson any good?

I hated Robert Fripp's G3 tour stuff, but I heard he's pretty good for King Crimson.

Shaun Ponsonby
02-19-2005, 12:32 PM
I knew it was called Transatlantic-I just forgot to put the name. 'Stranger In Your Soul' (from 'Bridge Across Forever') is amongst my favourite prog songs ever.

Seen the Live In Europe DVD?

Kicks ass!!!!!!!!

Shaun Ponsonby
02-19-2005, 12:36 PM
King Crimson are very hit-and-miss. They could be as good as they could be bad. 'Court Of The Crimson King' is good (perhaps the first ever prog album)

nosuchluck
02-19-2005, 12:36 PM
King Crimson pretty much invented prog rock... Trey Gunn plays for them now (he's awesome - plays on a guitar called the Warr guitar; sounds cool)

i havent seen the Transatlantic DVD - and yeah, 'Stranger in Your Soul' is awesome. so is 'All of the Above' from the debut album.

Shaun Ponsonby
02-19-2005, 12:38 PM
Get the DVD...it is excellent. Good version of 'Shine On You Crazy Diamond' on the extras as well (they did it on the special edition of 'Bridge Across Forever').

nosuchluck
02-19-2005, 12:41 PM
cool. as long as it doesnt have Mike Portnoy on vocals:P

Shaun Ponsonby
02-19-2005, 12:47 PM
He does some, but Neal Morse does most of them.

nosuchluck
02-19-2005, 12:49 PM
bleh. he's an awful vocalist... have u heard him sing 'Strawberry Fields Forever'? - its atrocious.

Shaun Ponsonby
02-19-2005, 01:20 PM
Is that on 'Live In America'?

Soul Reaper
02-19-2005, 01:27 PM
I know Yes are meant to be very very good, but which album is best?

Shaun Ponsonby
02-19-2005, 01:29 PM
Yes' best album, erm...either 'Fragile' or 'Close To The Edge', maybe 'The Yes Album'. There is a good compilation, a 35th anniversary special, that is very good.

There is also a VERY VERY good box set called 'In A Word'.

nosuchluck
02-19-2005, 01:31 PM
Is that on 'Live In America'?

dont know. downloaded it.

secrets
02-19-2005, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by Soul Reaper
I've heard of Ozric Tentacles but are they any good?

Go here and download the song and see for yourself.

:http://www.progarchives.com/Progressive_rock_discography_BAND.asp?band_id=281

It's not their best but it's good.
For the first 8 minutes you may be thinking what is this new age?
Then suddenly you're in for a nice surprise.

Soul Reaper
02-19-2005, 03:05 PM
Ozric Tentacles are very spacey. Kinda reminicent of Pink Floyd.

Cool website, though.

nosuchluck
02-19-2005, 03:36 PM
u should see their live shows.... EVERYONE is stoned - the band, the crowd...u can get high just by watching it....

Shaun Ponsonby
02-19-2005, 03:40 PM
On the Pongmaster's Ball DVD, everytime the flute guy (he keeps changing his name, so I don't quite know what to call him) rolls up a spliff, the camera pulls away quickly. It's funny. Flute man smokes them through his flute and everything.

nosuchluck
02-19-2005, 03:46 PM
i think he calls himself 'Jumping John' on that dvd.
the extras on that dvd are hilarious.

secrets
02-19-2005, 04:07 PM
'Eternal Wheel' is a double CD best of compilation which is a good place to start with the Ozrics.

Soul Reaper
02-20-2005, 07:31 AM
Have you heard this guitar solo from one of Dream Theater's songs 'As I Am'?

As I Am (http://www.johnpetrucci.com/mp3s/John_Petrucci_Dream_Theater_AsIAm.mp3)

nosuchluck
02-20-2005, 07:50 AM
the Petrucci solo? i didnt like it...
the last 2 Dream Theater albums (Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence and Train of Thought) have failed to impress me.

Soul Reaper
02-20-2005, 08:21 AM
What do think of this new prog band, The Mars Volta?

Soul Reaper
02-20-2005, 08:28 AM
Frank Zappa wasn't really prog. I don't think you could possibly catagorise Zappa.

Whenever I look at prog websites, Frank Zappa is put under prog rock or fusion. Although, I wouldn't be able to categorise him.

pepper
02-20-2005, 09:26 AM
ISNT DEF LEPPARD KINDA PROGRESSIVE ROCK?

secrets
02-20-2005, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by pepper
ISNT DEF LEPPARD KINDA PROGRESSIVE ROCK?

No they are what's known as Regressive Rock.

secrets
02-20-2005, 12:02 PM
Have you heard this guitar solo from one of Dream Theater's songs 'As I Am'?

As I Am (http://www.johnpetrucci.com/mp3s/John_Petrucci_Dream_Theater_AsIAm.mp3)

Nice!

Soul Reaper
02-20-2005, 12:31 PM
This is a Mars Volta song called Eriatarka, it's pretty good.

Eriatarka (http://www2.progarchives.com/mp3/THE%20MARS%20VOLTA%20-%20De-loused%20in%20the%20Comatorium%2006.%20Eriatarka.m p3)

jojo2371
02-20-2005, 02:23 PM
what about early genisis with gabriel???

Shaun Ponsonby
02-20-2005, 02:50 PM
Again, I wouldn't really call the Mars Volta prog, I'd call them indie or alternative.

You want real new-prog, check out Glass Hammer.

Soul Reaper
02-20-2005, 03:13 PM
has anyone mentioned Magma yet?

They had a completely unique sound, it was called 'Zehul', which actually means celestial. Magma even had their own language called Kobaian.

Jano
02-21-2005, 06:14 AM

They had a completely unique sound, it was called 'Zehul', which actually means celestial. Magma even had their own language called Kobaian.
Yeah! i'm impress that someone know Magma that's cool.Christian Vander the drummer is the best!
But nobody mention Manfred mann or barclay james harvest,thoses band were very cool !

Panamark
02-21-2005, 06:43 AM
I love all of that stuff, particularly Rush, Yes and (Fish era) Marillion.

However, one of my favourite Prog albums, and a largely forgotten one, is Jeff Wayne`s "War of the worlds".

Anyone else got it?

You`d never get away with an album like that now.

It`s amazing that you could ever make an album like that back then and it would actually chart.

Got it !

The chances of anything coming form Mars are a million to one !
But still they come !

How about Tubular Bells - Mike Oldfield ?

Soul Reaper
02-21-2005, 03:55 PM
Again, I wouldn't really call the Mars Volta prog, I'd call them indie or alternative.

Well they call themselves prog and they are listed as prog. But who cares?

Glass Hammer, eh? I'll check them out.

Shaun Ponsonby
02-23-2005, 01:58 PM
My favourite prog verse ever;

"Welcome back my friends
To the show that never ends
We're so glad you could attend
Come Inside, come inside..."

-Emerson, Lake and Palmer, Karn Evil 9 1st impression part 2

Everyone know 'Your Move' by Yes (part a of All Good People). Who would have thought that you could sing so passionately and with so much feeling about chess. Most beautiful piece of music.

Soul Reaper
02-23-2005, 02:12 PM
Are you a Genesis fan, Shaun?

Shaun Ponsonby
02-23-2005, 02:42 PM
Genesis are Ok. I like Steve Hackett/ Peter Gabriel (fuck Phil Collins).

Supper's Ready I like with the 9/8 time signature in the middle.

Soul Reaper
02-24-2005, 04:02 PM
What about Jethro Tull?

Shaun Ponsonby
02-25-2005, 11:14 AM
Again, I don't mind them, but they could never be rated alongside Yes or Emerson, Lake and Palmer or Pink Floyd etc.

Last_Child
02-25-2005, 01:43 PM
Can you guys recommend some stuff?

Not DT, I have a couple o' Cd's and they are awesome.

Soul Reaper
02-25-2005, 01:46 PM
I would recommend Pink Floyd - Dark Side Of The Moon

nosuchluck
02-25-2005, 01:48 PM
Rush - 2112

Soul Reaper
02-25-2005, 01:50 PM
Rush - Moving Pictures
ELP - Brain Salad Surgery

paulk1
02-25-2005, 01:56 PM
Here's some bands to check out :

Neal Morse
Spocks Beard
Transatlantic
Ajalon
Randy George
Karmakanic
Kino
Angra
Porcupine Tree
Vanden PLas
ProtoKaw
OSI
Blackfield
The Flower KIngs
Salem Hill

and there are tons more out there. ;)

Soul Reaper
02-25-2005, 01:57 PM
Check out Ozric Tentacles, last_child.

secrets
02-25-2005, 05:17 PM
Check out Ozric Tentacles, last_child.

Hey, hey I'm converting eveyone to the Ozrics.

It must be a subliminal thing.

:smoke2:

Shaun Ponsonby
02-25-2005, 05:21 PM
Transatlantic-Bridge Across Forever
Rush-In Rio (excellent 3 cd live album)
Salem Hill-Not Everything's Gold
Spock's Beard-Snow
Neal Morse-One
Liquid Tension Experiment-LTE2
Yes-The Yes Album
Pink Floyd-P.U.L.S.E. (they do all of 'DSOTM' on that!! You wouldn't think it was live)
Spock's Beard-Kindness Of Strangers
ELP-Works Volume 1
Yes-Fragile
Yes-Close To The Edge
Shadow Gallery-Legacy
Symphony X-Divine Wings of Tragedy
ELP-Tarkus
Rush-2112
Flower Kings-Flower Power
Genesis-Lamb Lies Down On Broadway

And I would say 'Dark Side Of The Moon', but I think everybody has it anyway.

rustoffa
02-26-2005, 12:43 AM
KANSAS are probably underrated.

Do 10CC and HAWKWIND count?

:confused:

Soul Reaper
02-26-2005, 07:30 AM
Pink Floyd - The Wall.

I'm sure most people have a Pink Floyd album anyway.

Last_Child
02-26-2005, 10:02 AM
Ozric Tentacles...I'll see if i find can find some stuff with them.

Liquid Tension Experiment are great...That was the band with the two from Dream T. Right?(Jordan Rudess & Mike Portnoy)

paulk1
02-26-2005, 10:50 AM
Kansas probrably hasn't been the same since Kerry Livgren left, but he has since formed his original band Protokaw. As far as Neal Morse's ONE cd, yeah great cd, and they happen to be great friends of mine. I have just finished recording drum tracks for Randy George who also played bass on the ONE cd, besides myself, some other guest's to be included are: Neal Morse, Kerry Livgren, Phil Keaggy, David Beegle, David Ragsdale. The cd should hopefully be due out sometime this summer. Please check it out.

nosuchluck
02-26-2005, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by Last_Child
Ozric Tentacles...I'll see if i find can find some stuff with them.

Liquid Tension Experiment are great...That was the band with the two from Dream T. Right?(Jordan Rudess & Mike Portnoy)

and John Petrucci (Dream Theater)
the bassist is Tony Levin.

nosuchluck
02-26-2005, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by paulk1
Kansas probrably hasn't been the same since Kerry Livgren left, but he has since formed his original band Protokaw. As far as Neal Morse's ONE cd, yeah great cd, and they happen to be great friends of mine. I have just finished recording drum tracks for Randy George who also played bass on the ONE cd, besides myself, some other guest's to be included are: Neal Morse, Kerry Livgren, Phil Keaggy, David Beegle, David Ragsdale. The cd should hopefully be due out sometime this summer. Please check it out.

wow! thats awesome!

secrets
02-26-2005, 08:30 PM
Anyone heard of a band called Riverside? Heard one track thought it was pretty good sort of Marillion/Dream Theater vibe you can check them out here:

http://www.progarchives.com/Progressive_rock_discography_BAND.asp?band_id=1287

Shaun Ponsonby
02-27-2005, 11:10 AM
Soul Reaper asked who had heard of The Mars Volta, to which I replied "I wouldn't call them Prog". I appear to have gotten The Mars Volta mixed up with another band. And yes, they are Progressive Rock. I apologise for my misunderstanding.

So, to conclude, The Mars Volta ARE a Prog Band and they are OK.

nosuchluck
03-07-2005, 02:24 PM
i cant believe i forgot Planet X. recently got their latest studio release "Moon Babies" - great stuff.
Derek Sherinian- keyboards
Virgil Donati - drums
Tony Macalpine - guitars (although i think he's been replaced since)

Shaun Ponsonby
03-07-2005, 03:00 PM
As far as Neal Morse's ONE cd, yeah great cd, and they happen to be great friends of mine. I have just finished recording drum tracks for Randy George who also played bass on the ONE cd, The cd should hopefully be due out sometime this summer. Please check it out.

That's worth a 5, I think.

Shaun Ponsonby
03-07-2005, 03:06 PM
I missed out Ozrics on my list!!

'Eternal Wheel' (good compilation)
'Jurassic Shift'
and 'Live at the Pongmaster's Ball'

Actually, you'll be interested to know that they are regulars at Glastunberry (is that how you spell it?).

secrets
03-07-2005, 04:46 PM
Glastonbury now that part of Ingerland I like.

pepper
03-07-2005, 08:59 PM
HOW WOULD U LABEL ROBERT PLANTS EARLY STUFF AS A SOLO ARTIST?

Soul Reaper
03-08-2005, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by pepper
HOW WOULD U LABEL ROBERT PLANTS EARLY STUFF AS A SOLO ARTIST?

probably not prog rock

secrets
03-08-2005, 05:44 PM
Speaking of Robert Plant. Listen to a song called 'Paradox' by Threshold sounds just like him.

Good band actually, way underrated.

secrets
03-08-2005, 05:47 PM
Here's the link to Threshold listen to them:

http://www.progarchives.com/Progressive_rock_discography_BAND.asp?band_id=333

Shaun Ponsonby
03-24-2005, 01:30 PM
I would just like to publically thank Secrets for the excellent Prog Archieves Site (already thanked him via PM, but wanted to do it again publically).

The reason for this second thankyou is that, on the site, I decided to see what is written about Refugee (the project featuring Lee Jackson and Brian Davidson of The Nice fame and Patrick Moraz, who later joined YES for the 'Relayer' album). And, to cut a long story short, I was able to find a place to order the album via the site. So, after years of searching from 2 generations of the Ponsonby family, I have finally found the Refugee album.

And it's all thanks to Secrets. So, THANKYOU VERY VERY MUCH. If I could give you another 5 stars, I would.

Soul Reaper
03-24-2005, 01:35 PM
Prog Archives is brilliant! thanks Secrets!

I've found a whole bunch of mp3 to listen to. It's awesome!

secrets
03-24-2005, 01:57 PM
Prog Archives is brilliant! thanks Secrets!

I've found a whole bunch of mp3 to listen to. It's awesome!

You and Shaun are both welcome. There is so much good stuff there.

Bands I'd never heard of before or if I had maybe only one song.

Spock's Beard is a good example. They have some good stuff by them.

Have a great Easter.

Shaun Ponsonby
03-24-2005, 02:12 PM
You have a great Easter yourself, Secrets.

Shaun Ponsonby
03-24-2005, 03:02 PM
Have Secrets or Soul Repaer left a review on Prog Archieves yet?

secrets
03-24-2005, 03:21 PM
Not yet, but I've read quite a few. Those guys really know their stuff.

Shaun Ponsonby
03-25-2005, 06:19 AM
I've left one for the Yes box set 'In A Word' and for Neal Morse's 'It's Not Too Late'.

Jérôme Frenchise
03-25-2005, 07:05 AM

They're French. A nutty band. They've been back touring for more than a year now.

Jérôme Frenchise
03-25-2005, 07:11 AM
To me, despite a few (I've got them all) albums that are really no good ("Lizard", "Islands"...), KING CRIMSON rules.

"RED" (1974) and "THRAK" (1994) are my fav'. BIGGG!!

Shaun Ponsonby
03-25-2005, 07:12 AM
What's the band that made up their own language? The name escapes me...

Jérôme Frenchise
03-25-2005, 07:16 AM
What's the band that made up their own language? The name escapes me...

MAGMA. "Kobaïan" is their so-called tongue. They're fellow countrymen of mine, but I think they're ridiculous...

Shaun Ponsonby
03-25-2005, 07:27 AM
Intelligent, but ridiculous...

Shaun Ponsonby
03-25-2005, 07:42 AM
Video footage of DREAM THEATER keyboardist Jordan Rudess playing the continuum

www.jordanrudess.com/wizlock/

Soul Reaper
03-25-2005, 07:45 AM
Originally posted by secrets
Not yet, but I've read quite a few. Those guys really know their stuff.

Yeah, they do know a lot. Very long and intelligent reviews.

I look at reviews on Amazon.co.uk for rap albums and it's like ,'This is crap!' or 'White guys can't rap, white people should be left to their gay ass rock music' (seriously that's what one of them said.)

Maybe listening to a certain music affects your intelligence?!

Shaun Ponsonby
03-25-2005, 07:54 AM
Quite a good point, that, Mr. Reaper. Somehow, you can't imagine David Beckham listening to prog-but you can imagine Stephen Hawking listening to prog.

Actually, Hawking was on 'Keep Talking' on Pink Floyd's 'Division Bell'.

Soul Reaper
03-25-2005, 08:26 AM
Somehow, you can't imagine David Beckham listening to prog-

Which proves that music does affect people's intelligence.

Before an after-football match interview
Football interviewer: 'We're just going to test the sound, could you count to three for us to see if it works'

David Beckham: ' 1..2...err...3..3..1..2'

Seriously, that's what happened

Shaun Ponsonby
03-25-2005, 08:51 AM
YES release their DVD "YES: 35th Anniversary Concert - Songs from Tsongas" on April 12 2004 in the US. There are no release dates for other regions at this time.
Also, 9012Live, the DVD release of the concert video from the '80s, is scheduled to be released on August 23.

STEVE HACKETT returns to the UK concert circuit in Spring 2005. This time however the strobe lights and bass pedals get left behind as his acoustic trio takes to the stage for an ‘unplugged’ show of beautifully crafted pieces for acoustic guitar, flute and keyboards.

MARCH 2005

Sat 26 Rotherham - Classic Rock Society 01709 702 575
Wed 30 Birkenhead - Pacific Arts Centre 0151 647 0752 £15.00
Thu 31 Manchester - The Lowry 0870 787 5796

APRIL 2005

Fri 01 Morecombe - Platform 01524 582 803
Sat 02 Derby - Assembly Rooms 01332 255 800
Sun 03 London - Queen Elizabeth Hall 0870 735 5000
Mon 04 Brighton - Komedia 01273 647 100
Tue 05 Worcester - Huntingdon Hall 01905 611 427
Thu 07 Bristol - St. George’s 0117 923 0359
Fri 08 Liskeard - Carnglaze Caverns 01579 320 251
Sun 10 Wolverhampton - Wulfrun Hall www.wolvescivic.co.uk
Mon 11 Norwich - Maddermarket Theatre 01603 620
Wed 13 Milton Keynes - The Stables 01908 280 800
Thu 14 Milton Keynes - The Stables 01908 280 800 £25.00
Sat 16 Barking - The Broadway 020 8507 5607
Sun 17 Croydon - Ashcroft Theatre 020 8688 9291

On 28th March HACKETT releases his fifth classical album 'Metamorpheus' a natural successor to 1997’s “Midsummer Night’s Dream” which spent several weeks in the Top 10 of the UK Classical charts.

Mellow Records has just released "Towards the Silence" - the new, sixth, album of Italian band GARDEN WALL. For more info, please click here;

www.mellowrecords.com/howtop1.html

The CD can be purchased from BTF Records.

The new album, going under the working title of "Room Five" is the fifth album from this well respected American six piece. All of their albums are considered to be classics amongst fans of this type of music and their new concept album, which will be a continuation of the "Tyranny" story, will no doubt be heralded as the welcome return of SHADOW GALLERY.

"An Evening of FLOWER KINGS & Related Instrumental Music"

ROINE STOLT, TOMAS BODIN, JONAS REINGOLD and MARCUS LILIEQUIST will start a tour end of March.
This is not a FLOWER KINGS tour, but you can expect lots of FLOWER KINGS instrumentals, instrumentals from the solo albums of TOMAS BODIN, ROINE STLOT and JONAS REINGOLD.

31.03.2005 D-Hamburg - Logo
01.04.2005 NL-Rijssen - Lucky & Co
02.04.2005 NL-Zoetermeer - De Boerderij
04.04.2005 B-Verviers - Spirit Of ´66
05.04.2005 D-Aschaffenburg - Colos-Saal
06.04.2005 D-Essen - Zeche Carl
08.04.2005 UK-London - Borderline
10.04.2005 D-Reichenbach - Bergkeller

__________________________________________________ ___________

THE TANGENT's new lineup will debut with another short tour this Spring. The SIX PIECE lineup will play concerts in France, Germany, Belgium and finish off with their first performance in the USA where the band are closing the ROSfest festival in Philadelphia. The gigs are as follows....

Sat 23rd April 2005:-

Festival Progressif de Sarlat
France

NEW DATE Mon 25th April 2005:- De KadeZaandam (Nr Amsterdam), Netherlandshttp://www.kade.nl/Tel: 075 - 617 6972
Tues 26th April 2005:-

Zeche Carl
Essen, Germany
http://www.zechecarl.de/
Tel: 0201- 83 444 12

Wed 27th April 2005:-

Spirit of 66
Verviers , Belgium
http://www.spiritof66.be/
Tel: 087 35.24.24

Thur 28th April 2005:-

Substage
Karlsruhe. Germany
http://www.substage.de/
Tel: 0721 / 37 72 74

Sun 1st May 2005
Rites Of Spring Festival ('Rosfest')
Phoenixville, USA
http://www.rosfest.com/

The Tangent line up for all these gigs is as follows....

Andy Tillison - Keyboards, Vocals.
Jonas Reingold - Bass guitar
Sam Baine - Keyboards
Theo Travis - Sax & Flute
Krister Jonsson - Guitars
Jaime Salazar - Drums

News of the new line up came after workaholic ROINE STOLT made the following announcement;

"I will leave The Tangent as a touring unit and most likely with recordings as well. It was fun but I feel the need to move on with new projects, currently working quite heavily on 3 solo projects to celebrate my 30 years as recording artist 2005 (might merge into one ,who knows)."

The latest release from GUY MANNING is about to hit the streets. This is a superb set of craftsmanlike songwriting and it sees Guy signing up with the American Label - Progrock records. The album "A Matter Of Life and Death" is a concept style album of somgs based around a fictious character (Abel Mann) who appeared on Guy's debut album.

__________________________________________________ _

Soul Reaper
03-25-2005, 11:24 AM
Thanks for the info!

Shaun Ponsonby
03-31-2005, 07:30 AM
UNICORN DIGITAL would like to welcome Texas band LITTLE KING into the family.

Formed in 1996 in by RYAN ROSOFF in El Paso Texas, LITTLE KING will be releasing their second CD Virus Divine on UNICORN DIGITAL in April 2005.

Virus Divine was engineered by Eddy Garcia (the bass player for MINISTRY) and mixed in Toronto, Canada by Terry Brown, whose impressive resume includes production credits on ten RUSH albums. The disc continues Rosoff's tradition of conceptual lyric writing and follows a theme of enlightenment, inner conflict, and resolution. Based on the story of an anonymous man who is moved to change the world after watching news coverage of the horrible tragedy at Columbine High School, Virus Divine examines the impact one righteous person can have on the world around him.

Release date and MP3 samples to be announced very soon
__________________________________________________ ________

JOHN YOUNG (keyboards/vocals)

Ex: Scorpions, Asia, Bonnie Tyler, Paul Rodgers (Queen!) , Fish (Marillion), Qango (E.L.P. / Asia), John Wetton, Greenslade, Roy Wood, Uli Jon Roth and many more.

If you’d like a change from Pop Idol, Karaoke and covers and you prefer the cerebral to the celebrity then this might just be for you! :-)

If you are a fan of GENESIS, PINK FLOYD, YES , PETER GABRIEL , SUPERTRAMP, and similar icons then we think this will appeal.

Here’s a chance for a quick listen:

Open Skies (rock)

http://www.broadjam.com/transmit/transmit.asp?txygnbz=11219&chkldsxv1=65747&yhgbndsq=1

Underside (singer/songwriter)

http://www.broadjam.com/transmit/transmit.asp?txygnbz=11219&chkldsxv1=65699&yhgbndsq=1

John recently supported SAGA, FOCUS and MIDGE URE and all reports were very favourable indeed....here's what a few respected voices have said.....

‘Genius’ …Thys van Leer (Focus),
‘Proper Music’.. Bonnie Tyler,
‘The Golden Egg for those that have ears to hear’.. John Wetton (Asia, King Crimson),
‘In my top 10 of all Time’.. Chris Alexander (Astoria Theatre, London)
‘Will sell 6-7 million if they ever let it on radio’.. (ex Sony A&R Germany),
‘Excellent’… Klaus Meine (Scorpions),
‘Fantastic’.. Robin Lumley (Brand X)
‘Good Stuff’.. Ron Sexsmith ...
__________________________________________________ _

April 2004. Phoenixville, PA. It is the inaugural ROSfest, and progressive rock fans are gathering to see how it will turn out. Many are local but most have come from Miami, Atlanta and Chicago and Minneapolis, and they are hoping to see a music spectacle, but their optimism is cautious because – let’s face it - how good can it really be? This festival is a startup, and the first time anyone had an inkling of its existence was just 4 months ago!

It is now March 2005 and we know the answer. The inaugural Rites Of Spring festival (ROSfest) was a tremendous success. No, it wasn’t sold out and tickets were easy to come by, but don’t expect the same thing to happen this year. Smart money says you’ll need to stake your claim to the quaint Colonial theater as soon as possible – and tickets go on sale at noon on Feb. 26th.

ROSfest 2005 promises to be better than 2004 in so many ways:

Last year’s lineup was good. This year will feature some of the most successful acts in modern progressive music.

Last year’s Friday Night pre-show featured some wonderful bands in a club down the road from the Colonial. This year’s Friday Night event is in the Colonial, and will be headlined by one of today’s most important acts in British prog.

The Colonial Theater itself, quaint and intimate, has benefited from a year of renovation work. It will look better and the balcony will be open.

The vendors, always a major attraction at an event like this, will no longer be placed in the lobby. A separate spacious vendor room will be provided so hunting down that long lost rarity will be a more pleasant experience, and there will be room in the lobby for comfortable social intercourse.

And because there will be a far better turn out, you’re far more likely to bump into old friends – or to build an important new network of friends, contacts and acquaintances, as I did last year.

Around four hundred tickets will be available at $90.00 each. The patron tickets were sold very quickly so you’ll want to move fast. No one has taken any market surveys or consulted their crystal balls – but I for one am expecting a sell-out.

Friday’s line up:

ARENA will be the headline act, showcasing their recent 5-star album, Pepper's Ghost

DENNIS HEALY 7:00pm
MYRIAD 8:15pm
ARENA 9:45pm

Saturday
MOSTLY AUTUMN will headline Saturday’s show. I saw them in Liverpool last year and can promise that you’ll be amazed by this band’s live performance.

EYESTRINGS 11:00am to 12:30pm
TILES 2:00pm to 3:30pm
SYLVAN 5:00pm to 7:00pm
MOSTLY AUTUMN 9:00pm to 11:30pm

Sunday
Sunday’s headliner THE TANGENT started out as an interesting project, and has grown into a band in every sense of the word. Their recent The World That We Drive Through featured on many top-of-2004 lists.

CRYPTIC VISION 11:00am to 12:30pm
MAN ON FIRE 2:00pm to 3:30pm
MAGENTA 5:00pm to 7:00pm
THE TANGENT 9:00pm to 11:30pm

__________________________________________________ _____________

FISH will be celebrating the 20th anniversary of Misplaced Childhood with a special Return To Childhood tour. Special tour-artwork will be designed by Mark Wilkinson while using the original model for the Misplaced Childhood sleeve artwork, Robert Mead, as the main subject in his new exploration of the piece twenty years on.
Confirmed dates so far:

04/24/05 - Academy 3, Manchester, UK
04/25/05 - Rescue Rooms, Nottingham, UK
04/26/05 - Boardwalk, Sheffield, UK
04/28/05 - Rock Café, Stourbridge, UK
04/29/05 - Bierkeller, Bristol, UK
05/01/05 - Princess Pavilion, Falmouth, UK
05/02/05 - Cavern, Liverpool, UK
05/07/05 to May 17th - South America
06/04/05 - Tiana Prog Fest, Barcelona, Spain
06/18/04 - Fete de la Musique, Luxembourg

Furthermore there is talk of a 20th anniversary re-release of Misplaced Childhood, re-mixed in Dolby 5.1 surround by MC producer Chris Kimsey. Unfortunately this is still in planning stage, as FISH, MARILLION and EMI still need to come to agreement on this release.
__________________________________________________ ______

DJAM KARET have put up some previews of 5 tracks of their new album, tentatively titled "Recollection Harvest", due out September of 2005 via Cuneiform Records. Also on the website is a new story of sorts from the man of intrigue and espionage, Gayle Ellett.

www.djamkaret.com

__________________________________________________ __________

TILES is pleased to announce that "Window Dressing" is nominated for Outstanding National Small/indipendant Label Recordingat the 2005 Detroit Music Awards (www.detroitmusicawards.com). The Motor City Music Awards were started in 1988 to honor Detroit area musicians working on a national, regional and local level; and are similar to the Grammy Awards presented by the National Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences. Award winners are determined by local musicians and music industry professionals in the Detroit area in a wide variety of music genres. Previous shows have featured outstanding performances by some of Detroit's top music legends: Was (Not Was), Kid Rock, The Clark Sisters, Thornetta Davis, Alexander Zonjic, Martha Reeves, The Miracles, Grand Funk Railroad, George Clinton and Parliament, and Ted Nugent, among many others.

"Window Dressing" was produced by TERRY BROWN (RUSH, FATES WARNING) and released in the summer of 2004 on Inside Out Music in North America and Europe. Tiles continues to promote "Window Dressing" with live shows and will perform April 30, 2005 at the Rites Of Spring Festival near Philadelphia, PA - and June 4, 2005 at CalProg '05 near Los Angeles, CA.

__________________________________________________ _______
Up-Coming Releases;

Russell Allen´s Atomic Soul - Same
(First solo album by the SYMPHONY X vocalist!)
release on 25/4/2005

MAGELLAN - Symphony for a Misanthrope
release on 18/4/2005

PAIN OF SALVATION - BE "Original Stage Production" DVD
DVD + live CD in Slipcase with 48 page booklet
release on 18/4/2005

PINK FLOYD are expected to release THE definitive concert DVD of all time ('P.U.L.S.E.') in early June. It will be a 2 DVD set.

Shaun Ponsonby
03-31-2005, 07:34 AM
Nick Mason's (Pink Floyd) USA Book Promotion Tour

On April 11, 2005, Nick will be on Premier Radio in Los Angeles. It will be sent nationwide via Satellite.

Nick's appearances so far:

April 12, 2005, 7:30 pm
Planetarium
Pacific Science Center
200 Second Ave. N.
Seattle, WA. 98109

There will be a Pink Floyd laser show in the planetarium.
April 13, 2005, 7:00 pm
Experience Music Project
JBL Theater
325 5th Avenue
Seattle, WA.
April 14, 2005, 7:00 pm
All Saints Church
1350 Waller
San Francisco, CA.
April 16, 2005, 2:00 pm
Virgin Mega Store
8000 Sunset Blvd
Los Angeles, CA.

Nick will appear on some TV and radio shows while in New York

April 18, 2005, 6:30am - 9:30am
TV interview on Satellite
Murray Hill Studios
New York, NY. 10016
April 18, 2005, 12:00 noon
Guest DJ spot on WAXQ Rock 104 in New York
April 19, 2005
NY 1 TV interview
April 19, 2005
Barnes & Noble
33 East 17th Street
New York, NY. 10003

Plans are being made for more radio and TV appearances in San Francisco, Chicago, Seattle, and several more in New York.

Nick is also setting up interviews for some magazines listed below, with possibly more to be added.

Automobile Magazine
Entertainment Weekly
Modern Drummer
Rolling Stone
Details
Tracks
On April 26, 2005, Nick is planning a 4 or 5 day promo tour of Italy as well.

secrets
03-31-2005, 05:18 PM
FISH will be celebrating the 20th anniversary of Misplaced Childhood with a special Return To Childhood tour. Special tour-artwork will be designed by Mark Wilkinson while using the original model for the Misplaced Childhood sleeve artwork, Robert Mead, as the main subject in his new exploration of the piece twenty years on.

Furthermore there is talk of a 20th anniversary re-release of Misplaced Childhood, re-mixed in Dolby 5.1 surround by MC producer Chris Kimsey. Unfortunately this is still in planning stage, as FISH, MARILLION and EMI still need to come to agreement on this release.

That's good. I love 'Misplaced Childhood'.

Don't know why Fish isn't playing anywhere near London though?

rustoffa
03-31-2005, 09:05 PM
Steve Walsh was walking around in the farmers market the other day.

I immediately cuntsidered the resurgence in prog rock when I noticed him.

Some dipshit I was with was making ostrich meat jokes and I lost track of Walsh.

I wanted to go ask him if he gave a fuck about the resurgence in prog rock, but those stupid "can you sell me the head with sand on it" jokes fucked it up.

"Point of no Return" is a grate album.

Shaun Ponsonby
04-07-2005, 05:21 PM
VERY IMPORTANT NEWS:
Pink Floyd Reunion In The Offering?

PINK FLOYD are not calling it quits just yet, according to longtime drummer NICK MASON. Although the group has not released any new material or toured in eleven years -- with its guitarist-turned - frontman DAVID GILMOUR currently working on a solo project -- Mason maintains that the FLOYD are currently keeping their options open. "Last year [David] really had no interest in revitalizing the band," Mason tells Rolling Stone. "But I think it's interesting that he also hasn't declared it over. No one has actually said never again." While fans will continue to wait and wonder about the group's future activities, they can find solace in a new book about the band penned by Mason himself, PINK FLOYD's only continuous member since 1965. Inside Out: A Personal History of Pink Floyd (Chronicle Books), due out in May, documents the famous moments in the psychedelic rock legends' forty-year musical odyssey: the rise and descent into madness of former singer Syd Barrett; the making of the blockbuster Dark Side of the Moon album; the mammoth Wall tour; and bassist and chief songwriter ROGER WATERS' acrimonious departure. It also contains little known stories such as the group's appearance on an American TV show hosted by PAT BOONE in 1967; JIMI HENDRIX offering the then-struggling band free use of his Electric Lady studios; FLOYD's visual designer STORM THORGERSON being grilled by a record executive for putting an image of a cow on Atom Heart Mother ("Do you want to destroy this record company?"); and PINK FLOYD's collaboration with a ballet company in the early Seventies. Working on the book for ten years, Mason drew from his personal observations and memorabilia, as well as the recollections of band members, associates and friends. "When I started it," he recalls, "I thought this was going to be the official band history, and it just became apparent that whatever I wrote was never going to be acceptable to everyone [in the band]. It was resolved by calling it 'a personal history.' With the publication of the book I didn't lose the friendship of Roger, David or Richard [Wright, keyboardist ]." Unlike the previous books about the band, Mason's account takes on a more personal and light-hearted approach. "I wanted to tell the story in a slightly different way," he says. "It's hopefully a rather funny book about a serious band." He didn't want to turn the book into a sordid tell-all, and he offers these reasons: "You have to remember the three guys are still my friends, and they've all got families. Most of them are bigger than I am, and they have better lawyers." In the book, Mason writes candidly of the moment when the other band members decided not to pick up their eccentric singer Syd Barrett -- who had a drug- induced breakdown -- en route to a gig in 1968, thus effectively kicking him out of the band. "In hindsight we behaved in a very selfish way," he admits. "But I think also we wouldn't have done very much better [to help him]. Because we needed him, we desperately tried to keep everything rolling along with him on board. What he actually needed was just to be taken out of the whole music business." Mason describes how Dark Side's phenomenal success -- the 1973 album is the longest charting album in history -- made for strained relationships. "That's the moment in which we stopped functioning entirely as a democracy," says Mason. "It wasn't so much that Roger took over. It was more of a sense that the songwriters had more control of their individual songs." Long-time Floyd fans may be surprised to read Mason's fair depiction of the band's former creative force Roger Waters, who tried unsuccessfully in 1986 to dissolve the band and to prevent Mason and Gilmour from using the name. "I don't think he does feel he behaved particularly badly," he admits. "It's a little bit like the Syd thing. We were all on a mission to do one thing, and you do whatever you think best to achieve it." Mason and Waters reconciled three years ago, but the drummer is only slightly optimistic that his other band mates will be able to make peace with Waters. "I think anything is possible," he says. The remaining members of Pink Floyd successfully carried on without Waters, but the continuation of the band is now up to Gilmour. "I think David realized just how much Roger carried on his shoulders, because David suddenly was the front man," Mason says. "It's a hell of a responsibility. I think he came away from it without much enthusiasm to do it again. But I think time changes people's perceptions, so you never know." The author hints in the book that certain band ideas have remained unexplored, including the ambient tapes from The Division Bell's 1994 recording sessions and an "unplugged" concept. Forty years and 116 million albums sold later, Pink Floyd remain a cultural force. (Mason calls the disco remake of "Comfortably Numb" by New York hipsters the Scissors Sisters "fantastic!") While band chemistry and good fortune were important factors in Pink Floyd's longevity, Mason believes a sense of humor contributed as well. "We did all make each other laugh," he says. "The bulk of the years was spent having a good time. It's still about the best job in the world."

MORRIS/MENSHILOV

"The Pearl of Great Price" is the first joint effort by JEREMY MORRIS (solo) and VITALY MENSHIKOV (X RELIGEON). The CD will be released on April 10, 2005, by Moscow's MALS Records, known for its long-term collaboration with Musea Records, and will be the label's first international release. The album features composition and performance contributions from BRIAN HIRSCH (Moonchild Records, Indeed), and to the memory of whom the album is dedicated.

ELEGANT RETURN

The new ELEGANT SIMPLICITY album, "Studies in Heartbreak", will be released in May 2005. Here is the final track listing, though there may still be a bonus track:
1. From Hello To Goodbye (1.32)
2. Still Waiting, Still Wanting (5.47)
3. Studies In Heartbreak (14.12)
4. The End Of A Life (3.52)
5. Failures Of The Soul (14.18)
6. Hourglass Fortune (7.26)
7. Love's Futile Fumblings (6.52).

__________________________________________________ _________
New releases

Phaesis (France) - "Puzzle"
Akacia (Canada) - "The Brass Serpent"
Gerard (Japan) - "Power Of Infinity"
Tadashi Goto (Japan) - "Soundscape"
Progfest-2000 (Inter.) - "Live"
Parallel Mind (USA) - "Colossus Adea"
KINO PLAY THE UK

KINO will play the Mean Fiddler in London on Friday 22 April 2005. Tickets go on sale shortly at all the usual outlets. This will be the band's first live appearance in the UK, and we all hope it's a great success.

EVERGREY ON TOUR WIYH JAMES LABRIE

09.04.2005 TK, Istanbul - Prog Istanbul Festival
17.04.2005 HU, Budapest - Wigwam
18.04.2005 SLO, Bratislava - tbc.
19.04.2005 I-Treviso - New Age
20.04.2005 I-Rome - Qube
22.04.2005 I-Milan - Transilvania
23.04.2005 CH-Pratteln - Z 7
24.04.2005 D-München - Elserhalle
26.04.2005 NL-Tilburg - 013
27.04.2005 D-Hamburg - Markthalle
28.04.2005 D-Düsseldorf - Tor 3
30.04.2005 UK-London - Mean Fiddler
01.05.2005 F-Paris - Elysee Montmartre
02.05.2005 D-Aschaffenburg - Colos-Saal
03.05.2005 D, Reichenbach - Bergkeller
04.05.2005 D, Bochum - Matrix
06.05.2005 NL, Hellendoorn - Metal Market
07.05.2005 NL, Hellendoorn - Dynamo Festival
10.05.2005 SP, Madrid - tbc
13.05.2005 SP, Barcelona - Mefisto
14.05.2005 SP, Bilbao - Bilborock
15.05.2005 SP, Madrid - Arena
25.06.2005 UK, Derbyshire - Bloodrock Festival
17.07.2005 FIN, Helsinki - Tuska Festival

new album: A Night To Remember - Live 2004

__________________________________________________ ___________
PROG AID

ProgAID was set-up in the wake of the terrible earthquake and Tsunami disaster that tragically struck on the 26th December 2004. The sheer destruction and loss of human life was of a scale that shook the world.

We considered what the Progressive Rock community could do, even in a small way, to help alleviate some of the suffering endured, and help towards the rebuilding of lives and communities.

We have therefore decided to co-ordinate the recording of a CD single to help raise as much money as possible for those that need it. The song, titled 'All Around The World', will be recorded on the 29th and 30th January 2005, and since the decision was made, we have been overwhelmed by the generosity of so many great musicians who have agreed to give their time to appear on the single. The list grows daily and currently includes:

Neal Morse
Roine Stolt - The Flower Kings
Anthony Phillips
Martin Orford - IQ
Pete Nicholls - IQ
John Jowitt - IQ
Alan Reed - Pallas
Nick Barrett - Pendragon
Clive Nolan - Arena / Pendragon
Mick Pointer - Arena
John Mitchell - Arena / The Urbane
Gary Chandler - Jadis
Arjen Lucassen - Ayreon
Oliver Wakeman - Oliver Wakeman Band
Steve Balsamo - Alan Parsons Project
Troy Donockley - Iona
Bryan Josh - Mostly Autumn
Steve Gee - Landmarq
Tracy Hitchings - Landmarq
Dave Wagstaff - Landmarq
Bruce Soord - Pineapple Thief
Stu Nicholson - Galahad
Magenta
Steve Babb - Glass Hammer
Daniel Gildenlow - Pain Of Salvation
Mike Baker - Shadow Gallery
Gary Wehrkamp - Shadow Gallery
Doogie White - ex Rainbow / Yngwie Malmsteen
Rob Gould - Fula
Fiona Ford - Fula
Alain Chiarazzo - Eclat
Steve Taylor - Strangefish
Danny Chang - The Fyreworks
Andy Edwards - Ezra
Colin Edwards - Ezra
Chris Dale - Sack Trick / Bruce Dickinson
Paul Davies - ex Karnataka / Panic Room
Jonathan Edwards - ex Karnataka / Panic Room
Nic Waulker - Bluehorses
Liz Prendagast - Bluehorses

For updates go to www.progaid.com

PORCUPINE TREE-CONCERT REVIEW

6th April, Manchester Academy 2

SET LIST;

Deadwing
Sound Of Muzak
Lazarus
Halo
Smart Kid
Hatesong
Arriving
Fadeaway
Burning Sky
Start Of Something
Blackest Eyes
Even Less
-----------
She's Moved On
Trains

PORCUPINE TREE may be the most important band you've never heard of (except for YOU, nosuchluck), and they are certainly one of the UK's best progressive rock bands (in fact, they are probably THE best). Touring to promote their excellent new album 'Deadwing', with the excellent single 'Lazarus', it was a musical treat. In fact, the set actually took off when 'Lazarus' was played, and was also one of the highlights, as were 'Blackest Eyes' from 2002's 5-star 'In Absentia' and 'Trains' from the same album.

It is obvious were the band's influences come from, because on the studio tracks (which they re-created almost perfectly live, with the help of ONLY harmonised backing tracks to get the full PORCUPINE TREE effect), there are harmonies which can easily make you think you are listening to a new PINK FLOYD album. You can say the same thing about the music. It's ALL Floyd. Any one of the songs played last night could be on 'Dark Side Of The Moon' or 'The Wall'.

The band played flawlessly, and frontman and British prog genius can write just about anything. He is yet to write something disappointing, and that goes for his many side projects as well(including last year's excellent BLACKFIELD).

It was like Floyd without the light show, but keeping the projections on a screen behind. Definately a well-spent £14.

Shaun Ponsonby
04-08-2005, 01:50 PM
Neal Morse's (ex-SPOCK'S BEARD) web site has been updated with the following message:

"YELLOW MATTER CUSTARD (Mike Portnoy, Neal Morse, Paul Gilbert and Matt Bissonette) has been captured on DVD. Very cool. It's been Mike Portnoy's dream all his life to be in a BEATLES cover band. (Who would've ever figured that?) Finally it came true one night in New York City. Recorded live at New York's BB Kings Blues club May 18, 2003, YELLOW MATTER CUSTARD perform some well known BEATLES songs such as 'Nowhere Man' and 'Revolution', as well as more obscure tunes like 'I Call Your Name', 'Think For Yourself' and even a hilarious rendition of the 'Let it Be' b-side 'You Know My Name'. With the amazingly Lennon-like sounds of Neal Morse's voice, the incredible skill of Paul Gilbert (guitar, vocals) and Matt Bissonette (bass, vocals) this disc brings the fab-four alive in all its simplicity and complexity. Somehow they found samples of the actual orchestra tracks from 'Sgt. Peppers' and 'I Am The Walrus' bringing the psychedelic BEATLES era to life in stunning reality. Highlights include Paul Gilbert's extended guitar solo in 'While My Guitar Gently Weeps', Morse's gut grinding vocals on 'Oh Darlin', Bissonette's perfect bass playing in 'I Want You' and Mike Portnoy's Ringo-esque drumming will surely surprise many.

"The whole night has been brilliantly captured in a two-camera shot edited DVD. The quality is pretty decent especially considering the circumstances. Relive this classic evening again and again in all its fun and excitement."

Special added Features:

Rehearsal Footage
Audio Commentary with Mike and Howard Portnoy

Track listing:

Disc 1:

01. Intro
02. Magical Mystery Tour
03. Deer Prudence
04. Dig A Pony
05. She Said She Said
06. I Call Your Name
07. You Can't Do That
08. When I Get Home
09. Nowhere Man
10. Rain
11. Free As A Bird
12. Come Together
13. I Am The Walrus
14. While My Guitar Gently Weeps

Disc 2:

01. Baby's In Black
02. I'll Be Back
03. No Reply
04. The Night Before
05. You're Gonna Lose That Girl
06. Ticket To Ride
07. Everybody's Got Something To Hide Except For Me And My Monkey
08. Oh Darling
09. Think For Yourself
10. Wait
11. Revolution
12. I Want You (She's So Heavy)
13. You Know My Name (Look Up The Number)
14. Lovely Rita
15. Good Morning Good Morning
16. Sgt. Pepper (Reprise)
17. A Day In The Life

The DVD will be available soon from www.RadiantRecords.com.

Soul Reaper
04-08-2005, 03:39 PM
I bought the Live At Bukodan DVD (Dream Theater) recently. I'm watching it now!

I also bought Awake. I really like it.

Shaun Ponsonby
04-08-2005, 03:53 PM
Portnoy and Morse really work well together well, though.

The 2 TRANSATLANTIC albums are excellent, as are Morse's solo albums 'Testimony' and 'One'. I hope they will continue to work together.

rustoffa
04-09-2005, 12:26 AM
All the "Morse's" and "Steve's" are starting to give me a headache.

Steve Morse played on Steve Walsh's album and is a monster guitarist.

Are The Dixie Dregs prog rock?

If the Dixie Dregs aren't prog rock, then whyinthefuck did Steve Morse play on Steve Walsh's album?

Did Steve Walsh progressively influence Steve Morse into KANSAS as well?

This prog rock thing is a hotbed of cuntroversy.

nosuchluck
04-16-2005, 01:43 PM
i guess i'd call The Dixie Dregs prog-rock.

my fav prog rock band right now is Pain of Salvation.
every album has a concept behind it, so you can't just download random mp3s - you gotta get the whole album.

Soul Reaper
04-17-2005, 06:01 AM
Does fusion come under prog music?

If so, my fav fusion person is Allan Holdsworth at the moment.

I have a couple of mp3s at the moment. I should be getting some from nosuchluck!

Shaun Ponsonby
04-17-2005, 06:45 AM
Yes, fusion does count, in my opinion anyways.

You see, sometimes people don't count certain styles as prog, but others do (d'ya get me?).

My dad, for example, doesn't think Pink Floyd are very prog. However, everyone else in the world does.

Soul Reaper
04-17-2005, 06:49 AM
sub genres that come under progressive music:

Art Rock
Canterbury Scene
Fusion
Italian Prog
Kraut Rock
Neo Progressive
Prog Folk
Progressive Metal
Rock-in-Opposition
Space/Experimental
Symphonic Prog
Various Genres
Zeuhl

Shaun Ponsonby
04-17-2005, 06:53 AM
HAHAHAHAHAHA

I love the way you got board and just wrote 'Various Genres'!!!!!!!!!!!

Shaun Ponsonby
04-17-2005, 12:01 PM
LIFESON TO TESTIFY

Denes Husty III of The News-Press has issued the following report:

The guitarist of the rock band RUSH may testify this week in Naples during the trial of his son, who is charged with fighting with police during a New Year's Eve brawl at the Ritz-Carlton hotel.

The son, Justin Shawn Zivojinovich, 34, of Canada, is charged with resisting arrest with violence in the alleged fracas. The charge carries a maximum five-year prison sentence.

A judge will decide Monday when the trial will start, said his attorney, Michael R.N. McDonnell.

The trial, McDonnell said, should take about three days.

The defense attorney said he may call his client's father, Alex Zivojinovich, 51, as a witness.

The elder Zivojinovich, who goes by the stage name Alex Lifeson, is the guitarist for RUSH.

He was also charged in what police described as a melee that broke out after they tried to get the father, his son and daughter-in-law to leave the Ritz-Carlton because security guards said they were causing a disturbance.

Alex Zivojinovich suffered a bloody nose in the fight and was treated at a local hospital before being booked into the Collier County Jail with his son and daughter-in-law. All were released later on bond.

The guitarist is charged with two counts of battery on police officers. Each count carries a maximum five-year prison sentence.

His trial is scheduled for May 17.

Meanwhile, a judge last week dismissed a misdemeanor resisting arrest without violence charge against Justin Zivojinovich's wife, Michelle Zivojinovich, 31.

County Judge Ramiro Manalich ruled there was insufficient evidence to prosecute her on the charge.

DREAM THEATRE ARTWORK REVEALED

DREAM THEATER drummer Mike Portnoy has uploaded the cover artwork for the group's new album, "Octavarium", at this location. The CD is scheduled for release on June 7 via Atlantic Records.

DREAM THEATER began writing and recording their latest album last November at the Hit Factory studios in New York City. The follow-up to 2003's "Train of Thought" will hold the distinction of being the very last album ever recorded at the world-famous recording facility.

Asked how "Octavarium" differs from its predecessor, DREAM THEATER guitarist John Petrucci recently told Billboard.com, "The album before this we wrote in the rehearsal period, constructed all the songs and then went into the studio and recorded them. The style from song to song was pretty consistent; that album was pretty dark and heavy and very riffy, sort of metal [or] progressive metal-sounding. This one we wrote in the studio, and I think that stylistically from song to song it's more diverse."

"Octavarium" track listing:

01. The Root of All Evil
02. The Answer Lies Within
03. These Walls
04. I Walk Beside You
05. Panic Attack
06. Never Enough
07. Sacrificed Sons
08. Octavarium

THRESHOLD RELEASE CD
U.K. progressive metallers THRESHOLD plan to release a new fan club CD in the summer, featuring the band's concert in Switzerland last September. The album is expected to be a double CD featuring the following setlist:

01. Mission Profile
02. Ground Control
03. Freaks
04. Into The Light
05. Echoes Of Life
06. Long Way Home
07. Opium
08. The Art Of Reason
09. Pressure
10. The Ravages Of Time
11. Light And Space
12. Flags And Footprints
13. Fragmentation

THRESHOLD will be back on stage next month at the three-day Rock Hard Festival in Germany. The band will perform on May 15 alongside such bands as ACCEPT, MASTERPLAN, OVERKILL and SENTENCED.

This month THRESHOLD guitarist Karl Groom starts producing the new album by power metallers DRAGONFORCE featuring BAL-SAGOTH's drummer Dave Mackintosh. THRESHOLD keyboardist Richard West is also in the studio recording solos for a progressive supergroup headed up by guitarist Michael Harris with ENCHANT's Ted Leonard as well as Rob Stankiewicz and Derek Blakely from HAJI'S KITCHEN. He will also be recording a solo for the debut album by BEYOND THE LABYRINTH.

JUMP HOMECOMING

Although the band's home base is in South Carolina, Jump, formerly Jump, Little Children, considers its return to Athens on Saturday as a homecoming of sorts.

"We've been coming to Athens for some six or so years," said Matt Bivins, multi-instrumentalist and occasional vocalist in the band. "Athens and Atlanta are really like our home away from home."

Jump has been spending increasing amounts of time in Georgia, as the album, "Between the Dim and the Dark," released in April 2004, was produced in Atlanta. This is the album that brought the band back from its three-year absence from the music scene due to a string of label-related catastrophes.

BIG GENERATOR

VAN DER GRAAF GENARATOR's new album (the first one since 1978) is to be released (in England) on April 25th and will be entitled 'Present'.It will be a double cd cd 1 being songs and cd2 being improvisations some websites are already taking advanced orders and details of these can be found on Phil Smarts site at www.vandergraafgenerator.co.uk. The band has also announced further dates to their reunion 'tour' in Milan and Rome after the fast sellout of the tix at the RFH gig in London these may well fly fairly quickly too I personnally hope they do more UK shows or Paris which is easy and cheap to get to these days( and a wonderful city to spend some time in!).

UPCOMING RELEASES

VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR-PRESENT

SONIC PULSAR-OUT OF PLACE

TONY SPADA-HUMAN ELEMENT

BILL BRUFORD-REISSUES

paulk1
04-17-2005, 12:21 PM
I'm happy to see that there are some Neal Morse fans here, Neal, Randy George, and I are good friends and Neal is also starting a fan- club type subscrition of unreleased demo's, live stuff, and misc stuff for 10$ a month. To the contrary Neal has begun writing the next prog cd, which i hear is going to be awsome as usual. Dream Theater's Mike Portnoy may very well be a part of the new project. In other prog news, Dream Theater have released the new artwork for there 8th studio cd called Octovarium due out on (my birthday) June 7th. Porcupine tree are currently on tour and have gotten some pretty good reviews of the setlist/tour. Randy george's band Ajalon will have pre-orders for there sophmore cd On The Threshold Of Eternity up in less then 2 weeks. I have heard the cd and it is technecally inspiring, and musically genious. Rick Wakeman, Neal Morse, and Phil Keaggy all make special Guest's Appearences on the cd. Randy's solo cd on which i have played drums on should be due out later this summer, we are putting the finishing touches on it. Also check out www.soulfrequency.com for pictures and stuff on Neal Morse, Randy George, Phil Keaggy, and Carl Groves from the band Salem Hill showcasing at this year's GMA event in Nashville. Lot's more to come. Check out these websites for more on all these bands: www.nealmorse.com www.ajalon.net www.dreamtheater.com www.mikeportnoy.com www.porcupinetree.com Thanks !

Paul

Shaun Ponsonby
04-17-2005, 12:58 PM
I was about to give you a 5, but I already did.

Soul Reaper
04-17-2005, 03:39 PM
Neal Schon from Journey.

A good guitarist?

I heard he is.

Shaun Ponsonby
04-18-2005, 01:13 PM
Yea, he's alright.

Soul Reaper
04-18-2005, 01:19 PM
Have you got any Frank Zappa albums?

Shaun Ponsonby
04-18-2005, 01:36 PM
Just one- 'Sheik Yabooti', I dunno how to spell it. One track, 'Bobby Brown Goes Down', has the best lyrics ever;

"Hey, there people, I'm Bobby Brown
They say I'm the cutest boy in town
My car is fast, my teeth is shiny
I tell all the girls to kiss my heini
Here I am at a famous school
I'm dressin' sharp an' acting cool
I gotta cheerleader here wants to hlp with my paper
Let her do all the work an' maybe later I'll rape her

Oh, God I am the American dream
I do not think I'm too extreme
An' I'm a handsome sonofabitch
I'm gonna get a good job and be real rich

Women's liberation
Came ctreepin' all across the nation
I tell you people, I wasn't ready
When I fucked this dyke by the name of Freddy
She gave me a little speech then
She tried to make me say 'when'
She had my balls in a vice, but she left the dick
I guess it's still hooked on
But now it shhots too quick

Oh, God, I am the American dream
But, now, I smell like vasaline
An' I'm a miserable sonofabitch
Am I boy or a lady?
I don't know which

So, I went out and bought me a leisure suit
I jingle my change, but I'm still kinda cute
Got a job doin' radio promo
And none of the jocks can even tell I'm a homo
Eventually me and a friend, sorta drifted along into S & M
I can take about an hour on the tower if power
So long as i gets a little golden shower

Oh, God, I am the American dream
With a spindle up my butt til it makes me scream
An' I'll do anything to get ahead
I lay awake at night sayin' 'THANKYOU, FRED'
Oh God, oh God, I'm so fantastic
Thanks to Freddy, I'm a sexual spastic
An' my name is Bobby Brown
Watch me now, I'm going down..."

That album also has 'Broken Hearts Are For Assholes', 'Dancing Fool', 'I Have Been In You' and many others.

I wouldn't call him prog though.

Since when do prog bands have song titles like 'Why does it hurt when I pea?' and 'Don't eat the yellow snow'?

Soul Reaper
04-18-2005, 01:38 PM
Zapppa was very different

Shaun Ponsonby
04-21-2005, 05:14 PM
Have you heard that re-mix of 'Owner of A LOnely Heart' yet.

DON'T TOUCH YES SONGS!!

Shaun Ponsonby
04-22-2005, 07:33 AM
Details are being finalized for a joint Yes members tour that may feature Alan White's band White, Chris Squire with the Syn, and Steve Howe solo acoustic/electric.

In a stunning development Geoff Downes has joined White, opening up the possibility of a Drama reunion of sorts. Visit Alan's news page for complete details.

Watch for more tour details as they become available.

ALSO...The DVD of YES: 35th Anniversary Concert - Songs from Tsongas is now scheduled to be released on June 21 by Image Entertainment in the US and by WV in Europe. There are no firm release dates for other regions at this time.

Filmed in May of 2004 this DVD consists of selections from Yes' summer tour, along with a behind the scenes look at the rehearsals, and interviews with band members and Roger Dean.

Updates on other new releases:

9012Live, the DVD release of the concert video from the '80s, is scheduled to be released on August 23.

The Word is Live, the three-CD set from Rhino Records of live selections spanning the band's history, is due early summer (date has yet to be finalized). More updates on this release coming soon.

Soul Reaper
04-22-2005, 12:54 PM
Has there been a fall out between the members or do they just want to do solo stuff?

Shaun Ponsonby
04-22-2005, 02:13 PM
No, they're touring on one bill.

They'll probably do an encore of some Yes stuff. Something that doesn't really need Jon Anderson's vocals. So, that only leaves instrumental versions.

Shaun Ponsonby
04-22-2005, 02:16 PM
Video footage of RUSH guitarist Alex Zivojinovich (a.k.a. Alex Lifeson) pleading no contest to a reduced charge of misdemeanor resisting arrest without violence in a Naples, Florida courtroom Thursday morning (April 21) has been posted online at www.NBC-2.com.

The plea deal came after a judge reduced charges facing Zivojinovich's son, Justin, from a felony to a misdemeanor. Justin Zivojinovich also pleaded no contest.

The charges stemmed from a New Year's Eve 2003 fight at the Ritz-Carlton beach resort in Naples.

Alex Zivojinovich was arrested along with his son and daughter in law after allegedly fighting with deputies and hotel staff.

He was accused of pushing a deputy down the stairs and spitting blood in the face of another. Both intially faced felony charges of resisting arrest with violence.

As part of the plea deal, both father and son received a year of probation and were ordered to pay court costs. The elder Zivojinovich will also pay restitution, the amount of which will be determined later.

Soul Reaper
04-22-2005, 02:26 PM
Alex Zivojinovich (a.k.a. Alex Lifeson)

What the hell?! That's his real name!

I didn't even know he had a real name

Shaun Ponsonby
04-22-2005, 02:35 PM
I know, it's ridiculous, isn't it?
No wonder he changed it.

This might interest you, Reap.

After 15 years in virtual recluse, Charlie Dominici, the original vocalist for the world's premier progressive rock band DREAM THEATER, is releasing the first CD in a three-CD trilogy. Unlike the heavy progressive fare that we have come to expect from any one of the present or former members of the aforementioned band, this three-disc release promises to be quite unique. It is an unplugged acoustic solo effort that is like a movie made entirely out of music.

Following on the heels of the very successful release of the DREAM THEATER DVD "When Dream and Day Re-unite", which features Charlie Dominici on vocals, this long-overdue solo album will be the first CD in a trilogy. It is a completely solo effort from the singer/songwriter/musician and features 10 original songs. What makes this CD unique is the fact that it is an "unplugged" acoustic style concept album which is penned, performed and produced by the singer himself. "The CD is like a movie made out of music and it is only myself performing everything that you will hear. There are no overdubs at all and I wanted it to be exactly what it would sound like when I am performing alone in a live concert situation," says Charlie. "It's all just me playing and singing the songs."

In the modern musical climate of slick production and layered overdubs, this kind of purist approach is rare. Using only one guitar and one voice through out the entire CD will surely be considered bold by some to say the least. The exact subject matter of the story is being kept under wraps for the time being. What has been revealed is that the theme of this work is about modern times, current events and the possible end of the world.

The CD, which is set to be released worldwide on May 24, 2005, will be available on Amazon.com, CDBaby.com, etc. The Dominici.com web site will provide more information and links.

Originally from New York, Charlie has lived in San Diego for the past few years and he recently came out of his self-imposed obscurity to join the band onstage in a live concert in Los Angeles. Celebrating the 15th anniversary of the release of the original DREAM THEATER debut album "When Dream and Day Unite", the band surprised the audience when they brought Charlie out to sing two songs with them during the encore. The DVD of that historic live performance is available exclusively on the band's web site.

Soul Reaper
04-22-2005, 02:38 PM
Interesting.

Do you prefer Dominici or LaBrie?

Shaun Ponsonby
04-22-2005, 02:46 PM
I don't have a prefence between the two of them. I've actually only recently picked up one Dream Theatre album, I think it is the debut, I've heard OTHER tracks, like, but just not OTHER albums.

At least the two of them don't go round slagging each other off like another band's vocalsits that we all know well.

Soul Reaper
04-22-2005, 02:57 PM
So you only have one Dream Theatre album?!

Shaun Ponsonby
04-22-2005, 03:00 PM
At this moment in time, yes.

Soul Reaper
04-22-2005, 03:01 PM
Get Images And Words.

I never skip a track on it.

Shaun Ponsonby
04-22-2005, 03:10 PM
What's 'Live At Budokan' like?

Last_Child
04-22-2005, 03:11 PM

Fucking Awesome!

Soul Reaper
04-22-2005, 03:12 PM

awesome beyond belief

Shaun Ponsonby
04-22-2005, 03:18 PM
I'll have to pick it up, although it's probably about a week long.

Where's Secrets these days?

Soul Reaper
04-22-2005, 03:20 PM
Who knows?!

After Images And Words, pick up Awake. That's what I did. A darker (use of seven string), but still very good album.

Shaun Ponsonby
04-22-2005, 03:23 PM
Images and words
Budokan
Awake

Gotcha (excuse the Noel Edmunds reference).

Soul Reaper
04-22-2005, 03:30 PM
You shall be enlightened into Dream Theater soon, my friend

I talk bullshit!

Shaun Ponsonby
04-22-2005, 04:32 PM
Don't dis talking bullshit. It helps you get through the day. Watch-

I'm considering becoming a Priest. I have seen the light.

Shaun Ponsonby
04-26-2005, 02:45 PM
SHADOW GALLERY's upcoming album, "Room V", will feature a host of guest appearances, according to a post on the group's official web site. "Laura Jaeger returns again to sing on two songs for the new release," the posting reads. "Arjen Anthony Lucassen will be performing a solo on one of the tracks and new performer, Joe Stone will be performing a solo on another track. Also appearing will be Libby Molnar. The bonus disk for the European release will also have performances by Jim Roberti and Mark Zonder, along with Arjen Anthony Lucassen."

The first promotional trailer for the release of "Room V" has been posted online at the group's official web site. Check it out in Quicktime format: Dial-Up (8.67 MB), Broadband (17.4 MB).

InsideOut Music has set a June 7 U.S. release date for "Room Five". The CD will be issued in Europe on May 30.

The follow-up to 2001's "Legacy", "Room Five" will be a concept album and will be a continuation of the "Tyranny" story.

"Room Five" track listing:

ACT III
01. Manhunt
02. Comfort Me
03. The Andromeda Strain
04. Vow
05. Birth of a Daughter
06. Death of a Mother
07. Lamentia

ACT IV
08. Seven Years
09. Dark
10. Torn
11. The Archer of Ben Salem
12. Encrypted
13. Room V
14. Rain

Shaun Ponsonby
05-15-2005, 11:33 AM
OH MY GOD!!!

After years of waiting...you can now listen to a PROG RADIO SHOW!!!

Tune into SKY channel 913 to listen to the Progressive Rock Show on Apple FM.

Heard it today and it was VERY good indeed.

WACF
05-16-2005, 11:13 AM
Images and Words is an excellent cd.
Right now Train Of Thought is my favorite by Dream Theater.
I can not wait to hear Octavarium...comes out in the begining of June.

I picked up Live at Budokon on DVD....does not disapoint.

James LaBrie has a solo disc out right now...the only song I have heard is Crucify....sounds like heavy DT...pretty good.

Soul Reaper
05-16-2005, 02:25 PM
OH MY GOD!!!

After years of waiting...you can now listen to a PROG RADIO SHOW!!!

Tune into SKY channel 913 to listen to the Progressive Rock Show on Apple FM.

Heard it today and it was VERY good indeed.

nooooooo, i have NTL Digital!!?!?!?! :mad:

Shaun Ponsonby
05-16-2005, 02:35 PM
Hmmmm, perhaps you can listen online.

I'll see if there is a web address where you can do such a thing.

Shaun Ponsonby
05-16-2005, 02:40 PM
www.arfm.co.uk/listenlive.htm

Click the link to listen to Paul Baker's Progressive Lunch on Apple Rock FM (if you do not have SKY TV channel 913) EVERY Sunday at 12pm until 2pm.

FasterPussycat
05-16-2005, 10:34 PM
I was just wondering, because I can never talk about Prog to anybody-because not many people I know actually know what the fuck it is.Just my dad and some of his mates. When I play it to MY friends-they hear a 20-odd minute 'Close To The Edge' and go-What the fuck is this?!?!?!?

I love a bit of Yes, or Emerson Lake And Palmer, or Pink Floyd. Actually I've been hearing some great new(ish) bands from Europe like The Flower Kings (first time I heard them-I thought it was Yes) and a great band from America called Spock's Beard (I reccommend their album 'Snow' to all)

Are you shitting me…? Pink Floyd Rocks my world!!! One of my all time favorite R&R songs is “Shine On You Crazy Diamond.” To me the song sounds extremely erotic??? It’s just me or what:rolleyes: ? Another my favorite song “Epitaph” by Crimson King…I think they’re also mainly a progressive band, but I could be wrong:cool: .

FasterPussycat
05-16-2005, 10:42 PM
I just want to add that “Shine On You Crazy Diamond” has 9 parts, and with very little lyric.

rustoffa
05-16-2005, 10:51 PM
Go sail away!!!!

Shaun Ponsonby
05-17-2005, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by FasterPussycat
Crimson King…I think they’re also mainly a progressive band, but I could be wrong:cool: .

No, they're not.

But King Crimson are.

Soul Reaper
05-17-2005, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by FasterPussycat
Are you shitting me…? Pink Floyd Rocks my world!!! One of my all time favorite R&R songs is “Shine On You Crazy Diamond.” To me the song sounds extremely erotic??? It’s just me or what:rolleyes: ? Another my favorite song “Epitaph” by Crimson King…I think they’re also mainly a progressive band, but I could be wrong:cool: .

Pink Floyd sound more spacey than erotic. They're not erotic at all.

They have made the most beautiful songs I've ever heard. 'Time' is one of them.

and yes, it is King Crimson

Shaun Ponsonby
05-17-2005, 12:42 PM
Hello, Reap, how are you today?

Soul Reaper
05-17-2005, 12:56 PM
i'm very good, thanks.

I'm listening to Pink Floyd at this very moment (if you hadn't had guessed). Some great stuff. It's the Echoes album (best of...)

what about you? have you got any new albums lately?

Shaun Ponsonby
05-20-2005, 03:49 AM
RUSH frontman Geddy Lee has reportedly announced that he will begin work on the group's next studio album in the fall, according to New Jersey rock station WDHA-FM (105.5). Citing 2005 as a "family year," Lee was hoping to get bored enough over the summer in preparation for the rigors of recording a new CD. He also stated that he hoped to begin the new disc sometime "after the [baseball] World Series."

RUSH's most recent release was the "Feedback" EP, a collection of covers of classics popularized by THE WHO, CREAM, BUFFALO SPRINGFIELD and THE YARDBIRDS.

"Feedback" was RUSH's first studio release since 2002's "Vapor Trails" which debuted at No. 6 on The Billboard 200 and has sold less than 350,000 copies in the United States, according to Nielsen SoundScan.

RUSH commemorated their 30th anniversary year in 2004 by playing dates across North America, as well as in Europe, where they had not performed live in more than a decade.

Soul Reaper
05-20-2005, 12:42 PM
hooray for RUSH! 30 years!

WACF
05-22-2005, 11:48 AM
"Feedback" was actually pretty good...

academic punk
05-22-2005, 12:03 PM
Pink Floyd sound more spacey than erotic. They're not erotic at all.

Eroticism is in the perception of the beholder.

If a beautiful woman tells you something is erotic, guess what? It is. Who are you to say no?

DaLeeRo
05-22-2005, 12:05 PM
Symphony X is an amazing band. Michael Romeo is awesome on Sea Of Lies.

Shaun Ponsonby
05-22-2005, 02:33 PM
Sea of Lies in an EXCELLENT song and 'Divine Wings..' is an excellent album. And, guess what? Romeo is an excellent guitarist, possibly the chubbiest guitarist I've evr seen.

Soul Reaper
05-22-2005, 03:26 PM
Sea of Lies in an EXCELLENT song and 'Divine Wings..' is an excellent album. And, guess what? Romeo is an excellent guitarist, possibly the chubbiest guitarist I've evr seen.

that guitarist from bowling for soup is the chubbiest i've ever seen

symphony x are excellent, although they are unfairly compared to dream theater

Soul Reaper
05-22-2005, 03:29 PM
Confirmed GIGANTOUR Dates!
Updated on 05-21-2005

GIGANTOUR featuring Megadeth & Dream Theater
with Special Guests Fear Factory, The Dillinger Escape Plan, Nevermore, Symphony X, Dry Kill Logic and many more TBA.

Confirmed dates so far:

7/21 - Fresno, CA - Selland Arena
7/22 - Las Vegas, NV - Thomas and Mack Arena
7/23 - Phoenix, AZ - Cricket Amphitheater (NEW!)
7/24 - Los Angeles, CA - Verizon Wireless Amphitheater (NEW!)
7/26 - Sacramento, CA - The Cove @ Cal Expo (note new date)
7/28 - San Diego, CA - OAT (NEW!)
7/29 -Tucson, AZ - Casino Anselmo (note new date)
7/30 - Albuquerque, NM - Journal Amphitheater (NEW!)
7/31 - Denver, CO - Coors Amphitheater (NEW!)
8/02 - Dallas, TX - Nokia Live
8/03 - Corpus Christi, TX - Concrete Street Amp
8/05 - Atlanta, GA - Gwinett Arena (NEW!)
8/06 - Orlando, FL - Hard Rock Live
8/07 - West Palm Beach, FL - Sound Advice Amp
8/08 - Tampa, FL - St. Pete's Times Forum (NEW!)
8/10 - Detroit, MI - DTE Energy Amphitheatre
8/12 - Chicago, IL - Tweeter Center
8/13 - Milwaukee, WI - Eagles Ballroom (NEW!)
8/14 - Cleveland, OH - Tower City Amphitheater (NEW!)
8/17 - Pittsburg, PA - Chevrolet Amphitheater (NEW!)
8/19 - Portland, ME - Civic Center
8/20 - Manchester, NH - Verizon Wireless Amp
8/21 - Poughkeepsie, NY - Mid Hudson Civic Center (NEW!)
8/23 - Wantagh, NY - Jones Beach Amphitheater
8/24 - Holmdel, NJ - PNC Bank Arts Center
8/26 - Boston, MA - Bank of American Pavilion
8/30 - Buffalo, NY - Darien Lakes Amphitheater (NEW!)
9/02 - Montreal, Quebec - Bell Center (NEW!)
9/03 - Toronto, Ontario - Molson Amphitheater (NEW!)

Many more still to be announced.
All Dates are subject to possible change.

Check out www.Gigantour.com for more information.

Soul Reaper
05-22-2005, 03:30 PM
if DT are supposed to be going on a world tour, when are they coming to England??!!

Soul Reaper
05-22-2005, 03:30 PM
Dream Theater European Fall Tour dates
Updated on 05-19-2005

Here are the confirmed shows for the European Fall leg of the Octavarium World Tour 2005/2006.

All shows will be "An Evening With Dream Theater" (no opening act and 2 sets with an intermission) unless noted otherwise:

September 27th - Helsinki, Finland - Ice Hall
September 29th - Stockholm, Sweden - Hovet
September 30th - Oslo, Norway - Spektrum
October 2nd - Hamburg, Germany - Docks (NEW)
October 3rd - Berlin, Germany - Columbia Halle (NEW)
October 4th - Poland - Poznan - Halle Arena (NEW)
October 7th - Düsseldorf, Germany - Philippshalle (NEW)
October 8th - Hanover, Germany - Capitol (NEW)

Many more dates to be confirmed soon...

Last_Child
05-24-2005, 10:28 AM
Hooray!!

September 30th - Oslo, Norway - Spektrum

Shaun Ponsonby
05-24-2005, 10:39 AM
They played the UK last year I think, Reap.

I would also like to say that joining them at the Maiden dates will be the greatest metal band the UK has produced since the NWOBHM...the fantastic DRAGONFORCE.

For more information, MP3s, videos and news on DRAGONFORCE, go to www.dragonforce.com

They'll probably play again in the winter. Most do.

Shaun Ponsonby
05-24-2005, 10:44 AM
that guitarist from bowling for soup is the chubbiest i've ever seen

No, hes not chubby, hes just plain FAT.

Shaun Ponsonby
05-24-2005, 10:54 AM
June 10th - Sweden Rock Festival - Solvesborg, Sweden
(also on the bill: SAMMY HAGAR

Fuck. They have to ruin it, don't they?

That was a great line-up before this tosser was added.

Soul Reaper
05-24-2005, 12:33 PM
They played the UK last year I think, Reap.

I would also like to say that joining them at the Maiden dates will be the greatest metal band the UK has produced since the NWOBHM...the fantastic DRAGONFORCE.

For more information, MP3s, videos and news on DRAGONFORCE, go to www.dragonforce.com

They'll probably play again in the winter. Most do.

HOORAY!!! Someone knows who Dragonforce are. Brilliant!

Best metal band Uk have produced since NWOBHM...that would be about 25 years!

That's a long time!!

Soul Reaper
05-24-2005, 01:00 PM
hey, Shaun, what do you think about Italian Prog bands and Kraut Rock bands?

what about the rest of you, what do you think?

Soul Reaper
05-24-2005, 01:09 PM
i'm listenign to Symphony X at the moment. Eyes of Medusa or something like that.

Awesome stuff! Underrated band.

Soul Reaper
05-24-2005, 01:13 PM
Here's a question that seems to come around on the Prog Rock Archive forums.

James LaBrie (vocalist of DT after Chris Dominici) - love or hate?

what's your opinion?

Shaun Ponsonby
05-24-2005, 01:22 PM
HOORAY!!! Someone knows who Dragonforce are. Brilliant!

Best metal band Uk have produced since NWOBHM...that would be about 25 years!

That's a long time!!

Suprised you haven't noticed that I love them already. I advertise them at every oppurtunity, and I leave links every 5 minutes. Saw them back in October. You know that they sound PERFECT live? ZP can still hit the notes, Dave Mackintosh is still lightning fast on drums, and the guitarists are flash bastards who slide each others guitars! Also, my mate got up on stage and actually played Sam's guitar!!! They are the fucking best!!!!

As for italian prog bands-do you know Premiata Forneria Marconi (aka PFM, and with good reason)?

As for James Labrie, I don't own enough Dream Theatre albums to make a descision.

Do you have any Dragonforce album, Reap, or have you downloaded their stuff?

Soul Reaper
05-24-2005, 01:42 PM
Suprised you haven't noticed that I love them already. I advertise them at every oppurtunity, and I leave links every 5 minutes. Saw them back in October. You know that they sound PERFECT live? ZP can still hit the notes, Dave Mackintosh is still lightning fast on drums, and the guitarists are flash bastards who slide each others guitars! Also, my mate got up on stage and actually played Sam's guitar!!! They are the fucking best!!!!

As for italian prog bands-do you know Premiata Forneria Marconi (aka PFM, and with good reason)?

As for James Labrie, I don't own enough Dream Theatre albums to make a descision.

Do you have any Dragonforce album, Reap, or have you downloaded their stuff?

I'm sure I've seen you mention them before, but I must have forgotten.

I've only heard one song by Dragonforce. I've forgotten the name of it, so I'll try and find and download some tracks, somewhere.

No, I don't know Premiata Forneria Marconi. I didn't really understand what you meant by them being called 'PFM and with good reason'. Does that mean you liek them? I know I might sound stupid, but I didn't really understand what you meant.

Soul Reaper
05-24-2005, 01:46 PM
Ok, i remember now. The song was called 'My Spirit Will Go On'. It rocked!!

I'm downloading 'Valley of the Damned' song now

Soul Reaper
05-24-2005, 01:52 PM
I've just listened to 'Valley of the Damned'

WOW!!!!

Shaun Ponsonby
05-24-2005, 01:54 PM
Premiata Forneria Marconi is a bitch to say, so they're called PFM with good reason.

Don't bother downloading the Dragonforce songs, Reap.

PM me your address, and I'll PM you mine, and if you burn 2 Dream Theatre albums I'll burn you the 2 Dragonforce albums. Deal?

Soul Reaper
05-24-2005, 02:05 PM
PM me your address, and I'll PM you mine, and if you burn 2 Dream Theatre albums I'll burn you the 2 Dragonforce albums. Deal?

OK, once I find out how I'm going to. I'm not very good at doing stuff on this computer without messing up. I'll PM you Images and Words and Awake or whatever DT album I get next to you, when I work out how to work my burner.

Soul Reaper
05-24-2005, 02:06 PM
I seem to be getting a lot of albums from people recently.

Soul Reaper
05-24-2005, 02:33 PM
Hey Shaun look at the Dragonforce tour dates in the UK!

Sat
02/10/04 Rio's Bradford, UK
Website / ticket online
Box Office 01274 735 549
all ages

Sun
03/10/04 Academy 3 Manchester, UK
Website / ticket online
Box Office 0161 832 1111
ages 14+

Mon
04/10/04 Academy Birmingham, UK
Website / ticket online
Box Office 0870 771 200

Tue
05/10/04 Waterfront Norwich, UK
Website / ticket online
Box Office 01603 508 050
ages 14+

Thu
07/10/04 Mean Fiddler
London, UK
Website / ticket online
Box Office 08701 500 044
ages policy info

Fri
08/10/04 Woughton Centre Milton Keynes, UK
Website
Box Office 01908 660 392
ages policy info

Sun
10/10/04 Bierkeller
Bristol, UK
Website / ticket online
Box Office 0117 926 8514

Mon
11/10/04 Cavern Exeter, UK
Website
Box Office 01392 425 309
ages 16+

Tue
12/10/04 Concorde 2
Brighton, UK
Website / ticket online
Box Office 01273 772770
ages 14+

Thu
14/10/04 Rock City Nottingham, UK
Website
Box Office 01159 588484
ages 14+

Shaun Ponsonby
05-24-2005, 02:39 PM
I think that was last year, Reap.

Soul Reaper
05-24-2005, 02:47 PM
oh bloody hell.

it was in their tour dates section

Soul Reaper
05-24-2005, 02:48 PM
i didn't read it properly.

don't worry, I'm sure ALAN will provide us with a tour.

Shaun Ponsonby
05-24-2005, 02:57 PM
Alan will provide us with whatever we wish.

Soul Reaper
05-25-2005, 03:13 PM
I've sent you 'Images and Words', Shaun

Shaun Ponsonby
05-26-2005, 04:49 PM
Thanks, mate.

Soul Reaper
05-27-2005, 01:48 PM
OK, I sent you the first track, Pull Me Under, mate

If you like that one I'll send you the rest, OK.

Shaun Ponsonby
05-29-2005, 02:05 PM
Sorry I've not answered, its been a non-stop party in Liverpool for the past few days, I've not even been on the computer.

Soul Reaper
05-29-2005, 02:54 PM
OK, I understand why you'd be celebrating.

Great match!!

Soul Reaper
05-29-2005, 02:56 PM
I just got a few Rush mp3s.

They're awesome. Anyone recommend a Rush album?

Moving Pictures or 2112?

Shaun Ponsonby
05-29-2005, 03:09 PM
2112, yes, if only for the title track.

Permanent Waves was the big successful Rush album (Spirit Of Radio etc)

The Rush In Rio DVD is probably the best introduction to Rush. You see, because the band change their style constantly, it will be very unlikely that you will like EACH stage of Rush. So, the DVD was recorded on the Vapor Trails tour has got tracks from each stage. Great crowd as well.

Soul Reaper
05-30-2005, 06:41 AM
2112, yes, if only for the title track.

Permanent Waves was the big successful Rush album (Spirit Of Radio etc)

The Rush In Rio DVD is probably the best introduction to Rush. You see, because the band change their style constantly, it will be very unlikely that you will like EACH stage of Rush. So, the DVD was recorded on the Vapor Trails tour has got tracks from each stage. Great crowd as well.

I probably will like all the stages.

I like that Spirit of Radio song. I got it on some Air Guitar compilation (I'm sure you know of it, Shaun).

I heard Moving Pictures and 2112 was supposed to be two of the best prog albums.

I think I will get 2112. I saw it in the shops.

Shaun Ponsonby
05-30-2005, 10:18 AM
I think I know of that air guitar album. Is it part of the series that Brian May produced and was in the adverts for?

Soul Reaper
05-30-2005, 12:17 PM
I think I know of that air guitar album. Is it part of the series that Brian May produced and was in the adverts for?

yeah, the one's with Patrick Moore and Brian May. Those ones.

Air Guitar I, II and III. Awesome albums. Those albums changed my life. I wouldn't have heard Van Halen or Joe Satriani if it wasn't for those CDs. It changed my whole perspective on guitar, (I wanted to be like Munky and Head from Korn, embarassingly. It also saved me from liking rap music)

Now 2 years later, I want to be as good as Shawn Lane.

Shaun Ponsonby
05-30-2005, 07:36 PM
LOVED those adverts. Brian May was dressed up as Angus Young in one of them. Brilliant.

Soul Reaper
05-31-2005, 01:36 PM
LOVED those adverts. Brian May was dressed up as Angus Young in one of them. Brilliant.

I remember Patrick Moore air guitaring on his walking stick.

don't take that the wrong way.

Shaun Ponsonby
06-01-2005, 07:26 AM
:D

Soul Reaper
07-28-2005, 10:50 AM
I just found this out about Geddy Lee(!!!):

Geddy Lee's parents were Polish Jews who survived a number of concentration camps and were finally liberated from Auschwitz at the end of WWII. They lived in the camp afterward for four years before emigrating to Canada. For a while, the people left in the camp believed that the rest of the world had been destroyed and that they might be the only survivors. The song was not written specifically about their experience, but certainly includes it. In an interview, bassist Geddy Lee said, "My parents were in Poland at the outset of the war, and the Germans came in, and every man they thought could be a threat to them they took out and shot. As the war moved on they were taken to a concentration camp. As the war got a little heavier, they were all moved to different concentration camps. My parents were sent to Auschwitz where they survived, which they thought was a miracle. When they got liberated -- when the war was over -- they didn't know what to do. They still lived in the concentration camp, as most people did, trying to collect themselves. When they liberated them, they thought they were the only people left in the world Can you imagine that? They thought they were the few survivors. They were slowly informed that the world was still going on. Then they couldn't understand why they were saved. How could it happen? How could God let it happen? They gathered up what they could and came to Canada. They were going to go to New York, but someone said it was nice in Canada" - source: Circus Magazine, October 27 1977. (thanks, Patti - South Vienna, OH)

http://www.songfacts.com/detail.lasso?id=3330

Shaun Ponsonby
07-28-2005, 03:12 PM
What song are they talking about?

Wawazat
07-31-2005, 11:17 AM
I just got some Ozric Tentacle Albums and Dragonforce too.

THX for telling

That is grate stuff :)

Shaun Ponsonby
08-01-2005, 07:23 AM
You get 5 for knowing who Ozrics and Dragonforce are.

Soul Reaper
08-01-2005, 07:52 AM
What song are they talking about?

Red Sector A

Soul Reaper
08-01-2005, 07:53 AM
a 5 stars to Wawzat from me too

Shaun Ponsonby
08-01-2005, 08:00 AM
Red Sector A

Ah, I getcha.

Wawazat
08-01-2005, 01:09 PM
@ Shaun & Soul Reaper 5 right back to you !!

Don´t get me wrong i got the ozric albums cause you were enthusiastic bout that band, and you are absolutely right.

Do you like the flaming lips ??

That´s 1 of my favourite bands !!

Soul Reaper
08-01-2005, 01:49 PM
The Flaming Lips?

I know of them but I haven't heard any of their stuff

paulk1
08-01-2005, 01:50 PM
Here's some prog type bands to check out:

Kino
Royal Hunt
Kamelot
Pagan's Mind
Kaipa
Orphan Project

To name a few, also my buddy Randy George's band Ajalon had a new cd that came out last month, and so far it's getting rave reviews, they have recently signed to www.progrockrecord.com i'd like to invite you to check it out at www.ajalon.net, and also my friend Randy will be on a special "Secret Project " with Neal Morse, and so far the line up is unbelievable. www.nealmorse.com

Shaun Ponsonby
08-01-2005, 02:51 PM
I just wish Neal would tone the God Squad stuff down a bit.

paulk1
08-01-2005, 02:57 PM
Well, yeah i can understand that, and in some regaurds i wish he would too, but that's just who he is now, but musically the guy can still come up with some awsome melodies, same with Randy i played drums on his solo cd which will feature many guest's, and that dude is very talented. As for Neal, i've heard the demo for the new project, and it will be pretty killer.

Soul Reaper
08-01-2005, 03:09 PM
PROGARCHIVES.com

KINO biography

Some super groups can almost be compared to an all-star game: a gathering of celebs not used to playing together though they welcome the event as a pleasant diversion from their respective routines, knowing full well no one takes them too seriously. This isn’t exactly the case with the members of KINO, namely ARENA guitarist John Mitchell, MARILLION bassist Pete Trawavas, IT BITES keyboard player John Beck and PORCUPINE TREE drummer Chris Maitland. Indeed, they admit to fully intending to continue recording together as a group; an encouraging prospect if we are to believe their first album entitled “Picture”.

The listener, however, shouldn’t expect a progressive masterpiece or anything resembling, say, TRANSATLANTIC. To put it simply, “Picture” is a fine neo-prog album with a couple of progressive tracks on it. Full of catchy elements, the material is rather heavy but highly melodic with a strong pop vein, as most tracks conform to a verse/chorus structure. Ten short pieces ...

Some super groups can almost be compared to an all-star game: a gathering of celebs not used to playing together though they welcome the event as a pleasant diversion from their respective routines, knowing full well no one takes them too seriously. This isn’t exactly the case with the members of KINO, namely ARENA guitarist John Mitchell, MARILLION bassist Pete Trawavas, IT BITES keyboard player John Beck and PORCUPINE TREE drummer Chris Maitland. Indeed, they admit to fully intending to continue recording together as a group; an encouraging prospect if we are to believe their first album entitled “Picture”.

The listener, however, shouldn’t expect a progressive masterpiece or anything resembling, say, TRANSATLANTIC. To put it simply, “Picture” is a fine neo-prog album with a couple of progressive tracks on it. Full of catchy elements, the material is rather heavy but highly melodic with a strong pop vein, as most tracks conform to a verse/chorus structure. Ten short pieces (except the 9-minute opener) reward the listener with skilful guitar play, a steaming rhythm section, some quieter moments deftly handled by Beck’s keyboards (whose input is probably what justifies the ‘prog’ moniker here) and decent vocals by ARENA’s John Mitchell. A relatively unadventurous but altogether polished, well produced and entertaining CD to be enjoyed for what it is.

Hard-edged neo-prog buffs, particularly ARENA and Hogarth-era MARILLION fans are the ones most likely to appreciate this band.

Soul Reaper
08-01-2005, 03:09 PM
ROYAL HUNT biography

ROYAL HUNT is a progressive metal band in the style of DREAM THEATER : symphonic heavy-metal with strong classic influences. The band is led by Danish classic oriented keyboard player André Andersen. Many influences from bands like DEEP PURPLE, ELP, RAINBOW, etc. "The Mission" proved that ROYAL HUNT have what it takes to make it in the progressive metal world in the new millennium. (Claude)

Soul Reaper
08-01-2005, 03:10 PM
KAMELOT biography

KAMELOT debuted in 1994 with "Eternity" featuring Mark Vanderbilt on vocals, Thomas Youngblood on guitars, Glenn Barry on bass, Richard Warner on the drums and David Pavlicko on the keys, but later, after one record, Richard and Mark would leave giving a chance to Casey Grillo and Roy Kahn (Ex-CONCEPTION vocalist) to be part of the band during their third album "Siege Perilous". Their sound completley changed, they became an above-average melodic metal band, some compared them with SONATA ARCTICA or HAMMERFALL, but clearly KAMELOT was above this genre, adjusting progressive arrangements to the all ready famous melodic metal sound.

With the line-up change, KAMELOT released their best known material; albums like "The Fourth Legacy" that fused Middle-Eastern sounds with power metal speed and "Karma" where they demonstrate that talent and energy their fans worldwide acclaimed, strong, heavy, mellow, deep and thoughtfull music were highly praised by the press, getting very good r...

KAMELOT debuted in 1994 with "Eternity" featuring Mark Vanderbilt on vocals, Thomas Youngblood on guitars, Glenn Barry on bass, Richard Warner on the drums and David Pavlicko on the keys, but later, after one record, Richard and Mark would leave giving a chance to Casey Grillo and Roy Kahn (Ex-CONCEPTION vocalist) to be part of the band during their third album "Siege Perilous". Their sound completley changed, they became an above-average melodic metal band, some compared them with SONATA ARCTICA or HAMMERFALL, but clearly KAMELOT was above this genre, adjusting progressive arrangements to the all ready famous melodic metal sound.

With the line-up change, KAMELOT released their best known material; albums like "The Fourth Legacy" that fused Middle-Eastern sounds with power metal speed and "Karma" where they demonstrate that talent and energy their fans worldwide acclaimed, strong, heavy, mellow, deep and thoughtfull music were highly praised by the press, getting very good reviews and giving KAMELOT the status of heavy weight. Later in 2003, they released "Epica" a conceptual piece based loosely in Goethe's Faust, "Epica" showed a peak on KAMELOT's career, melodic choirs and orchestration makes company to their trademark sound to create a whole world of fantasy and amusement, only to be shadowed by the following release "The black halo" in 2005, their best work yet.

KAMELOT has evolved in the past years, becoming a more serious band, not afraid to exploit their talent, I wouldn't be surprised if they turn to a more progressive edge as the years pass by, this is a great band that never stop amazing fans all over the world.

Soul Reaper
08-01-2005, 03:11 PM
PAGAN'S MIND biography
Pagan's Mind, a Norwegian Progressive Metal band, formed in 2000 with Nils K. Rue on vocals, Stian Kristoffersen on drums, and Thorstein Aaby on guitar, They all played together in a 80s metal inspirated band but wanted to aim higher and quickly replaced the old bass player with Steinar Krokmo. Guitar virtuoso Jorn Viggo Lofstad joined with Steinar and brought a change to this new band. Jorn and Steinar added with them the Progressive edge that the band would have in the coming years. Their debut album was recorded just one month after Steinar and Jorn joined the band and they were all pleased with the finishing result which was called Infinity Divine Keyboardist Ronny Tegner, who recorded keyboards with them, saw a great potential in Pagan's Mind and joined the band. Since the formation and after two albums, co-founder and guitarist Thorstein Aaby left the band in 2003 and Pagan's Mind's guitar duties solely rested on Jorn Viggo Lofstad's shoulders. Pagan's Mind is what would remind y...
Pagan's Mind, a Norwegian Progressive Metal band, formed in 2000 with Nils K. Rue on vocals, Stian Kristoffersen on drums, and Thorstein Aaby on guitar, They all played together in a 80s metal inspirated band but wanted to aim higher and quickly replaced the old bass player with Steinar Krokmo. Guitar virtuoso Jorn Viggo Lofstad joined with Steinar and brought a change to this new band. Jorn and Steinar added with them the Progressive edge that the band would have in the coming years. Their debut album was recorded just one month after Steinar and Jorn joined the band and they were all pleased with the finishing result which was called Infinity Divine Keyboardist Ronny Tegner, who recorded keyboards with them, saw a great potential in Pagan's Mind and joined the band. Since the formation and after two albums, co-founder and guitarist Thorstein Aaby left the band in 2003 and Pagan's Mind's guitar duties solely rested on Jorn Viggo Lofstad's shoulders. Pagan's Mind is what would remind you of a traditional PROG POWER band with influences of CONCEPTION, DREAM THEATER, QUEENSRYCHE, contemporary jazz, neoclassical elements and also some influences by Norwegian Black metal bands. When you put it together, it becomes the insane formula that is Pagan's Mind.

The first album brought the sounds of an old Norwegian giant, CONCEPTION, DREAM THEATER, QUEENSRYCHE and the sounds of 80's Metal all mixed together into an amazing dark, Progressive Power Metal assault that is somewhat like EVERGREY with a strange twist. The second album is the most complete, bringing classical, neo-classical, jazz and Black Metal influences forth and with amazing lyrics that can impress even the best of lyricists. Pagan's Mind's Celestial Entrance is excellent and fans of Progressive Metal should have a listen of it.

Pagan's Mind is one of these new-era Progressive Power metal bands that are very good. Sure they might take a lot from DREAM THEATER as an influence, but this is one of the more impressive Images and Words influenced bands out there. Highly recommended for Progressive Metal lovers.

Soul Reaper
08-01-2005, 03:12 PM
KAIPA biography
In their early years, KAIPA was one of Sweden's best seventies symphonic prog bands. Roine STOLT from THE FLOWER KINGS was a member of KAIPA. Their albums contain a mostly instrumental music, drawing its influences from Progressive music (CAMEL, YES, GENESIS...), classic music (BACH) or Swedish folklore.

The first three albums ("Kaipa", "Inget Nytt Under Solen" and "Solo") are a beauty and probably most indicative of their style - dreamy symphonic rock with simple, yet very effective melodies and a great deal of emotion. "Notes From The Past" is their 6th studio album since 1975 and the first one since 1982. All colours of the unique KAIPA-music from the 70's are present but with a brand new collection of masterpieces. With the new album "Keyholder", Hans LUNDIN and Roine STOLT perform some new music, searching for a new level of progress, yet echoing fragments of the glorious 70's, trying to bring the new Kaipa-sound to a higher level. The melodies linger on and will probably ...
In their early years, KAIPA was one of Sweden's best seventies symphonic prog bands. Roine STOLT from THE FLOWER KINGS was a member of KAIPA. Their albums contain a mostly instrumental music, drawing its influences from Progressive music (CAMEL, YES, GENESIS...), classic music (BACH) or Swedish folklore.

The first three albums ("Kaipa", "Inget Nytt Under Solen" and "Solo") are a beauty and probably most indicative of their style - dreamy symphonic rock with simple, yet very effective melodies and a great deal of emotion. "Notes From The Past" is their 6th studio album since 1975 and the first one since 1982. All colours of the unique KAIPA-music from the 70's are present but with a brand new collection of masterpieces. With the new album "Keyholder", Hans LUNDIN and Roine STOLT perform some new music, searching for a new level of progress, yet echoing fragments of the glorious 70's, trying to bring the new Kaipa-sound to a higher level. The melodies linger on and will probably stay with you for decades to entertain and to thrill. AN ESSENTIAL CDS for fans interested in symphonic progressive rock!
read more

Soul Reaper
08-01-2005, 03:13 PM
no bio, as of yet for Orphan Project

paulk1
08-01-2005, 03:26 PM
YES, you are the man, as far as orphan project, you may want to check out www.cprogrock.com, for a list of more prog bands, but are more in the christian vein, 2 cds called CPR vol. 1 and CPR vol. 2

Orphan Project
Orphan Project began in November of '01 when Shane Lankford (About A Day) approached John Wenger (Mars Hill & solo) with an idea to write a concept album on physical and spiritual adoption. John said yes and the process began to create a soundscape that could handle the lyrical depth of what Shane wanted and needed to get out. Based on major influences Kansas, Yes, Peter Gabriel, Dream Theater, and U2...Orphan Found was written.

Shane asked good friends, guitarist Chris Maggitti, drummer Nathan Grant, violinist Cindy King, and bassist Jason Chaillou (1up2down & About A Day) to play in the studio on the CD and John gathered bassist Colin McGough (Mars Hill, Forever Moon, & Cinema 8) and cellist Ben Hardesty. Together with the incredible leadership of John Grant and Tony Correlli (Secret Sound Studio in MD) they recorded Orphan Found during April-June '03.

In addition, Shane’s vision was to also perform "live", so the search began for members to join the band.

After searching for people who would have the time to commit to Orphan Project and some auditions, the final members of Orphan Project were found: Shane Lankford (lead vocals), John Wenger (vocals, guitars, keyboards), Colin McGough (bass & vocals), Tony Correlli (keyboards), Scott Spivey (lead guitars & vocals) and Tim Kehring (drums & vocals).

Soul Reaper
08-01-2005, 03:28 PM
thank you.

Pagan's Mind looks interesting

paulk1
08-01-2005, 03:56 PM
Here's a few more links to check out:

http://www.gepr.net/

http://www.progarchives.com/

http://www.ytsejam.com/

http://www.insideoutmusic.com/

http://progressionmagazine.com/

Tons of bands, Artist's, and info in general all about Prog !

50cent_ardman
08-01-2005, 04:15 PM
rock muzic iz 4 gay boyz

Shaun Ponsonby
08-01-2005, 07:19 PM
Wow-you're all kinds of fag.

nosuchluck
08-02-2005, 01:15 PM
PROGARCHIVES.com

KINO biography

the members of KINO, namely ARENA guitarist John Mitchell, MARILLION bassist Pete Trewavas, IT BITES keyboard player John Beck and PORCUPINE TREE drummer Chris Maitland.

thats enough to make me check out this band!

paulk1
08-02-2005, 01:39 PM
Cool, well it's a pretty good cd

Shaun Ponsonby
08-02-2005, 01:56 PM
GREG LAKE UK TOUR...

22/10 Turnbridge Wells Assembley Hall
23/10 Worthington Assembley Hall
24/10 Southend-on-sea Cliffs Pavillion
27/10 High Wycombe Swan
28/10 Truro Hall for Cornwall
29/10 Weymouth Pavillion
30/10 Swansea Grand Theatre
1/11 Edinborough Festival Theatre
2/11 Newcastle City Hall
3/11 Nottingham Royal Centre
4/11 Peterborough Broadway Theatre
6/11 Birmingham Alexander Theatre
7/11 Manchester Oprea House
9/11 Skegness Embassy Theatre
11/11 Stevenage Concert Hall
12/11 Dartford Orchard Theatre
14/11 Preston Guildhall
16/11 Croydon Fairfield Halls
17/11 Chesterfield Winding Wheel
18/11 Llandudno North Wales Theatre

Last_Child
08-02-2005, 04:11 PM
Anybody Heard Transatlantic?

Shaun Ponsonby
08-02-2005, 04:34 PM
YES

NEAL MORSE
MIKE PORTNOY
ROINE STOLT AND PETE TREWAVAS

Made 2 albums "Bridge across Forever" and "SMPTE", along with 2 live albums "Live In America" and "Live In Europe", the latter being the best.

I just LOVE Neal Norse, so I love those 2 albums.

Soul Reaper
08-03-2005, 07:41 AM
Wow-you're all kinds of fag.

hey now... ;)

Wawazat
08-03-2005, 12:54 PM
The Flaming Lips?

I know of them but I haven't heard any of their stuff

Album Titles :
Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots
Finally The Punk Rockers Are Taking Acid
In A Priest Driven Ambulance

look promising ? you can get al the reviews here Mark Prindles Review Page (http://www.markprindle.com)

Marks a new york guy, he´s a big fan of the six-pack & DLR so trust him. Also has a weird sense of humor.

If you use emule you will find a lot of the albums there.

Shaun Ponsonby
08-03-2005, 02:39 PM
YES REVELATION

Jon Anderson finally loses his mind (after years of practice) : "We are punks".

Soul Reaper
08-04-2005, 06:49 AM
what made Steve Howe such a unique player?

was it because he was versatile?

paulk1
08-04-2005, 08:49 AM
Well so far on Neal Morse's " secret project " the following musician guest's have been confirmed:

Mike Portnoy
Randy George
Steve Hackett
Roine Stolt
Alan Morse ( Neal's brother of Spock's Beard )

nosuchluck
08-06-2005, 06:37 AM
Well so far on Neal Morse's " secret project " the following musician guest's have been confirmed:

Mike Portnoy
Randy George
Steve Hackett
Roine Stolt
Alan Morse ( Neal's brother of Spock's Beard )

sounds VERY promising so far...

paulk1
08-06-2005, 08:36 AM
Here is the final lineup:

Neal Morse
Mike Portnoy
Randy George
Steve Hackett
Roine Stolt
Alan Morse ( Neal's brother of Spock's Beard ) ”
Jordan Rudess

nosuchluck
08-06-2005, 08:39 AM
awesome! i absolutely love Rudess' work!

Shaun Ponsonby
08-06-2005, 04:00 PM
Here is the final lineup:

Neal Morse
Mike Portnoy
Randy George
Steve Hackett
Roine Stolt
Alan Morse ( Neal's brother of Spock's Beard ) ”
Jordan Rudess

HOLY FUCKING MOTHER OF FUCKING ALAN!!!

The only thing that would top that is ELP and Pink Floyd touring together.

Do us a favour, tell Randy to tell Neal to play Liverpool if he tours for this "secret project".

paulk1
08-07-2005, 01:36 AM
i will, but if you come hang out at www.theradiantflow.com you can tell him yourself as he not only started the station, but host's a show on Saturday nights. He's usually in a lot of the time, so anyone come hang out with us.

YoureAllGhey
08-09-2005, 03:12 AM
I'm a little late on this, but I thought that I might throw ouit a few bands that someone miht want to check out.

Dali's Dilema
Tiles ( I saw their name in here, but their first album is unreal!)
Pain Of Salvation
Angra
Evergrey
Ayreon (pick a CD....it's a prog rock opera;) )

There's also a world of "other metal" that's kind of adopted some prog metal elements. If you're open to it, check out...

In Flames
Dark Tranquility
After Forever
Angel Dust
Ark
Novembre
Opeth
Vanden Plas

YoureAllGhey
08-09-2005, 03:20 AM
Oh, I damn near forgot.

For the Ultimate in "Hey Look What I Can Do" metal....

Check out Spiral Architect. Their CD "A Sceptics Universe" made me want to turn my bass into a coffee table.

On that note as well...............if you can find it. Give a listen to Spastic Ink. Their guitarist is pretty much unreal, amazing and some other words I can't think of right now!!!! As far as they go, all that I can say is check out http://www.spasticink.com/ If you're qa fan of guitar music that ignores all limits, you'll like them. If really interested, and you're on SoulSeek...........PM me your user name and I'll hook you up with alot of their shit. Just dont tell Ron.

nosuchluck
08-09-2005, 12:48 PM
nice recommendations there...

Pain of Salvation, Evergrey, Ark and Opeth are absolutely fantastic. Vanden Plas is ok too...

Shaun Ponsonby
08-09-2005, 03:28 PM
i will, but if you come hang out at www.theradiantflow.com you can tell him yourself as he not only started the station, but host's a show on Saturday nights. He's usually in a lot of the time, so anyone come hang out with us.

Well, I actually e-mailed Neal when 'One' came out, but he didn't tour for it and I didn't get an answer.

He's a huge Beatles fan, tell him that I personally will take him to Matthew Street and The Cavern (which is actually on Matthew Street).

Tell him I'll pay for him to go on the 'Magical Mystery Tour', that is a bus made up to look like The Magical Mystery Tour Bus that does a tour of all the significant Beatles places.

paulk1
08-09-2005, 03:44 PM
Well you should all join both the Neal Morse message board, and Ajalon's forum.

www.nealmorse.com

www.ajalon.net

Shaun Ponsonby
08-09-2005, 04:10 PM
Might just do that.

paulk1
08-09-2005, 05:12 PM
cool, also stop by the radiant flow, linked above and i'll see you there !

KiaSorento
08-14-2005, 01:53 AM
Originally posted by 09-02-1984
Great band "Nosuch"!

(I think Nick Barrett is an excellent guitarist)

Their new album is due in 2005 :D

Think that list of yours covers it bar one or two ......

Saga
A.C.T

Go fuck yourself if you can