PDA

View Full Version : Telecasters

Rikk
11-18-2004, 03:50 PM
OK, I'm a guitar idiot. I play drums and sing. I know very little about guitars. I know enough to know when to use a Les Paul, when to use an SG, when to use a Fender, etc. I'm not a big fan of Explorers for some reason.

My question is, what makes the Telecaster distinct (let's say compared to the Les Paul and Fender)? Does it have a sound of its own? Is it more biting, more muddy, etc.? And what kind of music is it better for?

My guitarist is thinking of getting one, but I know very little about them other than Page used one on the first Zeppelin album and for the Stairway solo.

sambo
11-18-2004, 05:15 PM
Hey Rikk

For the most part, I use a stock Tele in a 2 guitar band (orginals 70's type rock vs say Dandy Warhols) - and a Strat / LP in a side project (80's/90's rock). My Tele has more of a bite to it than my other guitars and is excellent for rhythm playing - just on the edge of breaking up overdrive - a beautiful thing. Personally I like that it cuts through virtually any band setting and is very distinct.

Cleans are excellent, there's no mistaking a clean tele sound - and the neck pickup just oozes that smooth tone - great for tasty leads or just noodling over the top of the rhythm section.

I was a Strat man for years but the Tele certainly has its place. Oh and it's built like a tank and very easy to customise if you want to put different pickups etc in there to suit ones own style or band.

Big Troubles
11-18-2004, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by Rikk
OK, I'm a guitar idiot. I play drums and sing. I know very little about guitars. I know enough to know when to use a Les Paul, when to use an SG, when to use a Fender, etc. I'm not a big fan of Explorers for some reason.

My question is, what makes the Telecaster distinct (let's say compared to the Les Paul and Fender)? Does it have a sound of its own? Is it more biting, more muddy, etc.? And what kind of music is it better for?

My guitarist is thinking of getting one, but I know very little about them other than Page used one on the first Zeppelin album and for the Stairway solo.

Sounds like you know more than me... And I play!!! lol Your band play Classic VH or just Classic Rock or originals?

sambo
11-18-2004, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by Big Troubles
Sounds like you know more than me... And I play!!! lol Your band play Classic VH or just Classic Rock or originals?

Hey BT

Just originals, although I manage to squeeze in a RWTD or a cool 1/2 time ATBL as our warm up song!! It's an interesting band.. the singer /guitarist is into psychedelic 60/70s rock, I'm more into classic rock / Classic VH, the drummer is into Slayer and the bass player is into bands like New Order and Depeche Mode. It all seems to work out just fine though, kinda cruisy guitar orientated tunes.

I used to play a Strat when I joined but it used to fight sonically for space with his Wolfgang, so I got a Tele and they now complement each other just fine - each with their own space. I didn't think I would like the Tele at first but in a band setting it more than holds its own.

I've now moved intersate for work, but gig when they come down or when I return, although they are looking for someone full time to do the EP and tour.

Big Troubles
11-18-2004, 07:27 PM
Cool. ;)

Rikk
11-18-2004, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by Big Troubles

Mostly just originals. But I like cracking open the odd IGGY POP cover or a few other simple standards...like ROADHOUSE BLUES. Never actually sang a Van Halen song with my band. I don't know why...that would be amazing.

Rikk
11-18-2004, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by sambo
Hey BT

Just originals, although I manage to squeeze in a RWTD or a cool 1/2 time ATBL as our warm up song!! It's an interesting band.. the singer /guitarist is into psychedelic 60/70s rock, I'm more into classic rock / Classic VH, the drummer is into Slayer and the bass player is into bands like New Order and Depeche Mode. It all seems to work out just fine though, kinda cruisy guitar orientated tunes.

I used to play a Strat when I joined but it used to fight sonically for space with his Wolfgang, so I got a Tele and they now complement each other just fine - each with their own space. I didn't think I would like the Tele at first but in a band setting it more than holds its own.

I've now moved intersate for work, but gig when they come down or when I return, although they are looking for someone full time to do the EP and tour.

DEPECHE MODE and SLAYER? That's awesome. Seriously. I love eclecticism. Those two should form their own cover band and call it REIGN IN VIOLATION.:D

VHII
11-18-2004, 07:41 PM
teles have more twang to them, if you like the stones sound youll like the tele

Rikk
11-18-2004, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by VHII
teles have more twang to them, if you like the stones sound youll like the tele

What does Keith typically use?

sambo
11-18-2004, 07:55 PM
I believe Keith uses a '52 or '59 Tele (I think '52), he is probably THE biggest Tele devotee

Rikk, Slayer and Depeche Mode... it somehow works...

or call the album Music for the Abyss!!!! :D

Rikk
11-18-2004, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by sambo
I believe Keith uses a '52 or '59 Tele (I think '52), he is probably THE biggest Tele devotee

Rikk, Slayer and Depeche Mode... it somehow works...

or call the album Music for the Abyss!!!! :D

LOL!!! Music for the abyss.

And Ronnie Wood uses a Strat, doesn't he?

Kristy
11-18-2004, 08:02 PM
As a "chick" that once worked in a musical instrument store, we carried plenty of Telecasters (since we were a Fender shop) from the low-end Squier's all the way up to the American standards. The most noticable characteristic I can probably tell you (no, I don't play guitar myself) is their rear pickup which gives that sorta "countrified" and "twangy" sound. This is why you predominately see a lot of country players use Telecasters moreover any other type of guitar - although that "fender sound" has been pretty much copied on just about any other decent guitar out there. Their front pickup also gives off a distinctive "warm" tone that might not be as sweet or characteristic as that of a Strat (for single-coil pickups) it's the very reason why most players use them - they find that front pickup rhythm sound the perfect fit for singing along to, if that makes sense. Although if you listen to Zeppelin's 'I Can't Quit You Baby' that's Page playing clean leads on the front pickup alone as where on 'Good Times, Bad Times' he is playing on both the front and rear pickups so when used with a creative dynamic, a Tele is not only a impressive guitar for being as basic as it is, but quite versatile as well!

Now, you see Tele's everywhere. It was probably that limey hack Keith Richards who made them famous in rock although they were used widely in the 1960's by such bands as The Yardbirds, Beach Boys, A lot Motown bands of the 1960's were playing Telecasters. Richards himself said he went to them because they were "the right weight, size, and had the right 'feel.'" Jeff Beck (who mainly uses Strats) said himself that a Tele has such a distinct quality to it that when it wants a certain "kick" to a solo he will use a Tele over a Strat.

MY best advice with all those examples shown is that you really can't go wrong with buying a Telecaster - just make sure you get one that you like i.e., with the neck/fretboard/color..etc you like since no two Tele's are the same.

Hope that helps in your choice somewhat.

Kristy
11-18-2004, 08:05 PM
Oh, and get yourself a Fender Twin amp to play it through as well. What a combination.

sambo
11-18-2004, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by Kristy
As a "chick" that once worked in a musical instrument store, we carried plenty of Telecasters (since we were a Fender shop) from the low-end Squier's all the way up to the American standards. The most noticable characteristic I can probably tell you (no, I don't play guitar myself) is their rear pickup which gives that sorta "countrified" and "twangy" sound. This is why you predominately see a lot of country players use Telecasters moreover any other type of guitar - although that "fender sound" has been pretty much copied on just about any other decent guitar out there. Their front pickup also gives off a distinctive "warm" tone that might not be as sweet or characteristic as that of a Strat (for single-coil pickups) it's the very reason why most players use them - they find that front pickup rhythm sound the perfect fit for singing along to, if that makes sense. Although if you listen to Zeppelin's 'I Can't Quit You Baby' that's Page playing clean leads on the front pickup alone as where on 'Good Times, Bad Times' he is playing on both the front and rear pickups so when used with a creative dynamic, a Tele is not only a impressive guitar for being as basic as it is, but quite versatile as well!

Now, you see Tele's everywhere. It was probably that limey hack Keith Richards who made them famous in rock although they were used widely in the 1960's by such bands as The Yardbirds, Beach Boys, A lot Motown bands of the 1960's were playing Telecasters. Richards himself said he went to them because they were "the right weight, size, and had the right 'feel.'" Jeff Beck (who mainly uses Strats) said himself that a Tele has such a distinct quality to it that when it wants a certain "kick" to a solo he will use a Tele over a Strat.

MY best advice with all those examples shown is that you really can't go wrong with buying a Telecaster - just make sure you get one that you like i.e., with the neck/fretboard/color..etc you like since no two Tele's are the same.

Cool post, nice work :cool:

Kristy
11-18-2004, 08:12 PM
Thanks, comes from working three years in a musical instrument store. When I started, I didn't know shit about guitars, by the time I left, I was re-stringing and (basic) repairing juat about any musical instrument that had strings on it -mandolins and 12-strings being the worst. Oh, violins, too.

Now that I think about it, I hated that job.

sambo
11-18-2004, 08:27 PM
LOL!!! Music for the abyss.

And Ronnie Wood uses a Strat, doesn't he?

I believe so, but he now also has a custom ESP signature model.

sambo
11-18-2004, 08:30 PM
and here is one of his Strats, albieit an ESP

Matt White
11-18-2004, 10:31 PM
Keith favored a '72 tele for a long time Rikk. Very cool guitar.
KEEF FUCKIN' ROCKS!!!!

sambo
11-18-2004, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by Matt White
Keith favored a '72 tele for a long time Rikk. Very cool guitar.
KEEF FUCKIN' ROCKS!!!!

My mate has a USA Tele '72 replica and it is one of the best Teles I have had the privilege of playing...

Keef - some of the most recognisable signature riffs in music......

BrownSound1
11-20-2004, 01:06 AM
I love Teles...don't know what to add that hasn't already been posted though. They certainly have more bite than a Strat...and as mentioned above can cut through anything.

Before Clapton used a Les Paul or a Strat he used a Tele.
Before Beck used Strats he played Teles
Page used Teles his entire career...many things that you think are Les Pauls on the Zep albums are actually Teles...and vice versa. :D

Like I said, nothing that hasn't already been said here...but those three things are what got me into the Tele...especially the third one.

Rikk
11-20-2004, 02:37 AM
Originally posted by Brownsound1
I love Teles...don't know what to add that hasn't already been posted though. They certainly have more bite than a Strat...and as mentioned above can cut through anything.

Before Clapton used a Les Paul or a Strat he used a Tele.
Before Beck used Strats he played Teles
Page used Teles his entire career...many things that you think are Les Pauls on the Zep albums are actually Teles...and vice versa. :D

Like I said, nothing that hasn't already been said here...but those three things are what got me into the Tele...especially the third one.

Do you know any of the specific later tracks Page used the Tele for? I'd be fascinated to know for reference listening?

I know he did the STAIRWAY solo on a Tele, and it sounds primo. And obviously pretty much the whole first album was done on a Tele.

ELVIS
11-20-2004, 05:27 AM

Killer post!

:elvis:

ELVIS
11-20-2004, 05:30 AM
Thanks, comes from working three years in a musical instrument store. When I started, I didn't know shit about guitars, by the time I left, I was re-stringing and (basic) repairing juat about any musical instrument that had strings on it -mandolins and 12-strings being the worst. Oh, violins, too.

Now that I think about it, I hated that job.

Not so killer post...

:elvis:

SensibleShoes
11-20-2004, 06:00 AM
Good to learn about the details. I had a telecaster made for me with a short neck when I was 12. Black. Wish I still had it. But I did not turn out to be the child prodigy the family had hoped for! :)

Matt White
11-20-2004, 01:51 PM
Do you know any of the specific later tracks Page used the Tele for? I'd be fascinated to know for reference listening?

I know he did the STAIRWAY solo on a Tele, and it sounds primo. And obviously pretty much the whole first album was done on a Tele.

Pagey used a tele with a B-string bender on ALL MY LOVE.

Kristy
11-20-2004, 03:51 PM
Page used that bender-Tele on just about every track on that last Zep album. You can hear it without a doubt on 'In The Evening', and on about 90% of 'Presence' he played a 1960 Strat (hear him hit the "whammy" on 'For Your Life").

Yeah, post about re-stringing guitars are never interesting. For me personally, the best guy to ever play a Tele was Danny Gatton.
http://www.guitarnine.com/image/hotrodguitaralb2.jpg

BrownSound1
11-22-2004, 09:48 PM
Page used that bender-Tele on just about every track on that last Zep album. You can hear it without a doubt on 'In The Evening', and on about 90% of 'Presence' he played a 1960 Strat (hear him hit the "whammy" on 'For Your Life").

Yeah, post about re-stringing guitars are never interesting. For me personally, the best guy to ever play a Tele was Danny Gatton.

In the Evening is a Strat...and that's according to Page himself. You can also see him playing it on that song on the Led Zeppelin DVD. Played a Strat on The Crunge, as well.

Page used a Tele on Ten Years Gone from Physical Graffiti, and for solos here and there. The entire first album was ALL Tele, except for the acoustic stuff of course.

The thing with Page is what sounds like a Tele sometimes is actually his Les Paul. Page's Number One has various coil taps and phase switches, which allow it to sound "single coily."

Most of Presence is his Les Paul...except, of course, during "For Your Life."

Interesting footnote, Page never recorded with his Gibson doubleneck....all 12 string work was done with either a Vox 12 string or a Fender 12 string.

Rikk
11-23-2004, 12:25 AM

Isn't that the Lake Placid Blue Strat on PRESENCE? I love the guitar sounds on that album.

Actually, guitar-wise, that is my favorite ZEPPELIN album.

Rikk
11-23-2004, 12:27 AM
Most of Presence is his Les Paul...except, of course, during "For Your Life."

Ah. Okay.

But still, the guitar sound on FOR YOUR LIFE is amazing.

Coyote
11-23-2004, 03:44 AM
Originally posted by Matt White
Pagey used a tele with a B-string bender on ALL MY LOVE.

And on the first album he used a Tele through a Supro amp on all the electric parts ("Good Times, Bad Times", "Communication Breakdown". He switched to a Les Paul before the II album.) And before THAT, during his tenure in The Yardbirds, if I recall correctly...

Kristy
11-23-2004, 06:52 PM
That's not entirely true. Page played a Strat on most of the solos on 'Achilles Last Stand' and pretty much througout 'Candy Store Rock.' And, just for the tid-bit record, Page played a Martin D-28 on all Zep acoustic tunes from the third album on.

Matt White
11-23-2004, 11:39 PM
"Achilles Last Stand" sounds like his Les Paul to me.

lucky wilbury
11-24-2004, 01:16 PM
lets not forget bruce and his tele!

Nitro Express
11-24-2004, 09:53 PM
Prince plays a Telecaster copy made by Hofner. Gets the Tele sound. Let's not forget Andy Summers. He mostly played a well worn Tele when he was in The Police.

The Telecaster can sound sexy, raunchy, twangy, and sounds wonderful through many different kinds of amps.

They look cool when old and beatup. Indestructable like a Strat is. You need to keep preciouse Les Pauls and SG's in cases so they don't get broken. You could use your Telecaster as a club if a riot breaks out in the bar and not break it.

sambo
11-24-2004, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by Nitro Express
Prince plays a Telecaster copy made by Hofner. Gets the Tele sound. Let's not forget Andy Summers. He mostly played a well worn Tele when he was in The Police.

The Telecaster can sound sexy, raunchy, twangy, and sounds wonderful through many different kinds of amps.

They look cool when old and beatup. Indestructable like a Strat is. You need to keep preciouse Les Pauls and SG's in cases so they don't get broken. You could use your Telecaster as a club if a riot breaks out in the bar and not break it.

Prince pulls a great Tele sound. Check out Purple Rain - The Movie or soundtrack..

Good call NE!!

VHII
11-26-2004, 05:40 PM
i love my white tele, and my friend has a strat, we get the perfect sound with two line 6 amps

Matt White
12-01-2004, 10:08 AM
Here's my first REAL electric guitar. A Martin/Stinger tele copy.
Bought it in 1986!!! LOL

Blacklisted
12-01-2004, 10:25 AM
This is your first kiss too right?

Matt White
12-01-2004, 10:48 AM
Now I'm being stalked by the Brown Dirt Cowboy. Easy slugger. This thread is about guitars, not your usual past time.

Blacklisted
12-01-2004, 11:03 AM
Hahahaha Matt White loves the cock.

This thread is

GAR
12-01-2004, 04:35 PM
The 50th Anniversary Series Telecasters have been coming thru virtually flaw-free as in regards to the shape of the necks, bodies and frets-necks setups. I like them alot.

I was just at Pasadena Guitar Center this morning checking them out, and not bad! Very surprised.. given the reputation.

Usually they vary so much I couldn't recommend a Fender USA off the shelf, but there's one in particular called a "Highway 1" series 50th Anniversary which comes in satin lacquer for the same price as the regulars and it was PERFECT.

The biggest thing I have against standard Teles is the rhythm pickup is of insufficient strength by and of itself, yet lends depth and resonance in the middle "both pickups" switch position, so you have to really want that particular sound in order to justify having it.

Modern Teles now are routed stock for 3 pickups in this config under the pickguard: Humbucker, Single, Humbucker, and the prior late-80's "canoe-rout" cavity is fucking GONE thank G-d.. They are now enduser-configurable with just a simple pickguard replacement the way they should have been since star guitarists would appear with custom arrangements such as Andy Summers of the Police did, with his Gibson PAF in the neck position, custom routed and configured on his own alot like EVH did with his Charvels.

The Andy Summers setup IMO is the best overall compromise to obtain the most bang for the buck in stock-USA made rock guitars without tremelos.. however the closest Fender comes to offering something like this is the 72 Telecaster Custom Reissue which offers that STUPID sounding, clunky looking and weird offset polepieces (half-3/half-3 bobbins) humbucker which I do not like.

Kristy
12-03-2004, 12:02 AM
I actually have that 50th Anniversary Strat. #24something-something out of 5000 made. Too bad I don't play guitar because that guitar really needs to be played.

BrownSound1
12-03-2004, 02:18 AM
That's not entirely true. Page played a Strat on most of the solos on 'Achilles Last Stand' and pretty much througout 'Candy Store Rock.' And, just for the tid-bit record, Page played a Martin D-28 on all Zep acoustic tunes from the third album on.

He also used a HARMONY acoustic on Led Zep III. Before that I believe he used a Washburn acoustic.

BigBadBrian
12-03-2004, 11:34 AM
I actually have that 50th Anniversary Strat. #24something-something out of 5000 made. Too bad I don't play guitar because that guitar really needs to be played.

Kristy, I find it amazing that you don't play with some of the posts I've read of yours. Especially the one about soldering. You need to go pick a gee-tar and play. ;) :)

Kristy
12-03-2004, 03:34 PM
I don't have the time or interest to learn to play. Like I said, I used to work at a music store where I did minor repair of most stringed instruments and I know a few basic chords but I really never had the desire to learn how to play. I came across that Strat because when we went out of business, nobody, not even the owner wanted to buy it - so he owed me money and made me a deal on it. To this day, it just sits in its case snugly in my closet along with my sexuality.*

*I'm joking.

BigBadBrian
12-03-2004, 03:46 PM
To this day, it just sits in its case snugly in my closet along with my sexuality.*

*I'm joking.

Hmmm........:hula: :bottle: :bananna:

Panamark
12-06-2004, 07:53 AM
Teles are cool !!

I still want to know whatever happened to the broadcasters ?? :)

Kristy
12-06-2004, 08:02 PM
Fender quit making the 'Broadcaster' in the late 50's (1956-57-ish??) due to the fact that Gretsch was going to sue them for using the name 'Broadcaster' which happend to be the name of a drumkit made by Gretsch at the time. Make sense?

Panamark
12-07-2004, 02:22 AM
Fender quit making the 'Broadcaster' in the late 50's (1956-57-ish??) due to the fact that Gretsch was going to sue them for using the name 'Broadcaster' which happend to be the name of a drumkit made by Gretsch at the time. Make sense?

Why thankyou Kristy ! Thats a good answer. I didnt realize they havent been made since the 50's !! I thought they were still around in the 60's.. So if you get a broadcaster, its gonna be an old guitar :)

Matt White
12-07-2004, 01:03 PM
Clarence White's Tele, with the B-string bender he helped to invent.

Panamark
12-08-2004, 03:51 AM
So what did he use the b-string bender for ??

jojo2371
01-07-2005, 12:18 AM
danny was a badass!!!so was roy buchanon 2 telemasters!!

BrownSound1
01-07-2005, 01:34 AM
Originally posted by Panamark
So what did he use the b-string bender for ??

Not familiar with the Parsons-White B-Bender? Well it is a complicated device that allows you to create pedal steel type effects on the B string by pushing your guitar away from your body. The way it is hooked up is there are a series of rollers and cables that attach to the top strap pin of your guitar...as you push away it pulls the pin, thus tightening the pulley system and raising the pitch of the B string. I have forgotten how many steps it can go up, but you basically achieve the same effect you get from a pedal steel guitar. This device requires some EXTENSIVE routing too. I can tell you where you probably saw and heard this being used, and that is in Led Zeppelin's "Ten Years Gone" video from Knebworth. He might actually use it on the album as well, but I know for a fact he used it on that live version.

Panamark
01-07-2005, 01:43 AM
Thanks Brownsound1 !

I wasnt familiar with this device at all, Sounds interesting !
Ive never seen a guitar with this fitted..
Have you played one yourself ??

BrownSound1
01-07-2005, 01:59 AM
Yes I have, and I didn't like it one bit, no Sir. I've got a picture of Jimmy Page's Tele that has this device...and I do believe it shows the routing on the back of the guitar that is required...very scary if you think about it. I'll try to find the mag and scan it. It was in a Guitar World from '85 or '86 and it was an entire issue devoted to Page. This was before they started transcribing full songs too. LOL

BrownSound1
01-07-2005, 03:13 AM
Here's a current model Fender that has a B-Bender installed from the factory. American Nashville B-BenderŽ TeleŽ (http://www.fender.com/products/show.php?partno=0118342)

kentuckyklira
01-07-2005, 05:26 AM
My current favorite Tele!

kentuckyklira
01-07-2005, 05:32 AM
Originally posted by kentuckyklira
My current favorite Tele! Damn the fuck!

For some reason the forum refuses to attach the pic of my Tele!

Panamark
01-08-2005, 06:10 AM
Here's a current model Fender that has a B-Bender installed from the factory. American Nashville B-BenderŽ TeleŽ (http://www.fender.com/products/show.php?partno=0118342)

I guess it gives a reasonable psuedo slide sound, looks like
a pain in the ass to use though.

I dont want that extra hole on my Tele thanks !

Besides, isnt that what bottlenecks were invented for ??

jackassrock
01-08-2005, 10:45 AM
Hipshot makes a b-bender that fits over the end of the guitar and doesn't require any hole in the body.

http://www.hipshotproducts.com/bender.htm

I have a tele w one of these. It also allows quick tuning of up to 3 strings with the flip of a lever. Very useful if you switch from standard to drop-d or an open chord tuning. Not too expensive compared to the other variety that you have to murder your guitar for.

BrownSound1
01-09-2005, 04:53 AM
Here's the Parsons/White B-Bender (http://www.stringbender.com/bender/classic.htm) along with views of what gets routed. I just could not bring myself to ever do this to a guitar. Not only does Jimmy Page have a Telecaster that has one of these, he also has one installed on the Purple Les Paul that he plays on Whole Lotta Love during The Song Remains the Same movie. (Note: When the film was made he had not yet done this mod.)

kentuckyklira
01-11-2005, 10:12 AM
Still won´t attach that damn pic!:mad: :mad: :mad:

MAX
03-23-2006, 02:16 AM
*bump*

As to not start a dupe or new thread, I dug this one out of the archives.

Anyhoo, I don't own a Tele but I swapped one of my Strats with my friend for his Buck Owens Signature Model Tele the other day.

It's a weird feel and adjustment since I've primarily been a Strat or modified Strat playa since forever. lol

I do like the neck, it's thick and not as thin as I'd always thought? However, I think the pickups sound a little "thin."

Surprizes me that Page recorded Led Zep I while exclusively playin' one?

How many of y'all still or currently own a Tele?

MAX
03-23-2006, 02:20 AM
Originally posted by BrownSound1
I love Teles...don't know what to add that hasn't already been posted though. They certainly have more bite than a Strat...and as mentioned above can cut through anything

I wanna know which pickup combo to which you're referring?

Also, what amp or setup do you use while playin' one?

I'm playing the Tele through a Marshall and it still sounds thinner than my Strat.

I dunno? I mean I DO like the Tele, just don't know if I'm too biased after playin' Strats for so long?

It's just like I LOVE the sound out of Les Pauls but I find them heavy, uncomfortable for me to play and I don't like their necks.

Matt White
03-23-2006, 07:40 AM
I have a Tele copy...made by Martin....

The neck pickup has alot of Bark to it!!!!:p

It's got a Humbucker in the bridge....

And a neck like a baseball bat!!!

ThrillsNSpills
03-23-2006, 07:59 AM
Did Joe Walsh use a tele in Funk 49 ?

because "bite" adequately describes the tone on that one.

BrownSound1
03-25-2006, 01:24 AM
Originally posted by MAX
I wanna know which pickup combo to which you're referring?

Also, what amp or setup do you use while playin' one?

I'm playing the Tele through a Marshall and it still sounds thinner than my Strat.

I dunno? I mean I DO like the Tele, just don't know if I'm too biased after playin' Strats for so long?

It's just like I LOVE the sound out of Les Pauls but I find them heavy, uncomfortable for me to play and I don't like their necks.

I play through a Plexi reissue that I'm "this" close to getting rid of...just as soon as I finish building my own Plexi replica. Keep in mind that my amp does not have a master volume, so there is no pre-amp gain control. If your Marshall is a more modern design with a master volume, then that might explain the thin sound...and explain why I don't use a master volume amp. :D The Tele is more upper mid to treble frequencies than a Strat as well.

Pickup combination is the standard neck and bridge single coils. By cut I mean that the frequencies are such in the bridge pickup that it will not get muddied in the mix when playing with a band. A Strat has more of a scooped mid and sometimes fights with other instruments making it harder to hear. Teles have a honk to them, whereas Strats quack.

Oh, and back to Pagey and Led Zep 1. Page's setup was his Tele into a Vox Wah into Tonebender fuzz into a Supro amp. No raging Marshall there...just a combo amp. Page used that same amp on Led Zep II for a few songs...like Whole Lotta Love. However that's a Les Paul instead of the Tele on that track.