PDA

View Full Version : The "Will FORD Have a Job?" Thread

Guitar Shark
11-19-2004, 10:59 AM
For those of you who don't know, the State of Washington is the only state in the country where the governor's race has not yet been decided.

In the first official count, Republican Dino Rossi stunned state bureaucrats by beating Democrat Christine Gregoire by a mere 261 votes. Almost 3 million votes were cast. It is the closest gubernatorial election of all time in this state. Under state law, there will be a mandatory electronic recount.

FORD currently has a job working for the government (in an unknown capacity), I believe it is affiliated somehow with the governor's office. (FORD, feel free to clarify.)

If the vote result is upheld, and Rossi's republican administration takes over, there is a chance that FORD will lose his job. The purpose of this thread is twofold: (1) to follow the election recount; and (2) to offer support to our favorite mod in what I am sure is a very stressful time.

Any predictions, Dave?

ODShowtime
11-19-2004, 11:06 AM
He has been a little squirely since Nov 2. I guess this explains it.

Good luck Ford if you need it.

Nickdfresh
11-19-2004, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by Guitar Shark
For those of you who don't know, the State of Washington is the only state in the country where the governor's race has not yet been decided.

In the first official count, Republican Dino Rossi stunned state bureaucrats by beating Democrat Christine Gregoire by a mere 261 votes. Almost 3 million votes were cast. It is the closest gubernatorial election of all time in this state. Under state law, there will be a mandatory electronic recount.

FORD currently has a job working for the government (in an unknown capacity), I believe it is affiliated somehow with the governor's office. (FORD, feel free to clarify.)

If the vote result is upheld, and Rossi's republican administration takes over, there is a chance that FORD will lose his job. The purpose of this thread is twofold: (1) to follow the election recount; and (2) to offer support to our favorite mod in what I am sure is a very stressful time.

Any predictions, Dave?

Is this a little too much information?:rolleyes: Or do you have a personal (creepy and disturbing) hard-on for Ford like JC Cook?

FORD
11-19-2004, 11:34 AM
No, I don't work for the Governor's office, but of course, indirectly all state employees work for the governor, and agency directors are cabinet appointments. So obviously there would be some impact with either candidate.

A transition from Gary Locke to Chris Gregoire would be smooth enough. Probably not many major policy changes, as she's a centrist Democrat, as Locke is.

Rossi is far more troubling. This state hasn't had a Republican governor in 20 years, and for good reason. The Washington State Republican party has been completely hijacked by the same radical neocon dominionist assholes who back the BCE.

I have a great deal of respect for men like John Spellman, and Dan Evans who were moderate, sane Republicans who served the people of this state honorably.

Dino Rossi does NOT fit that category. He's a Bush Jr clone who even named his dog "Dubya" and is rumored to play with Anndrew Coulter dolls (and no, I did not make that up)

His policies will be disasterous for this state. In Bush like fashion, he would probably appoint Tim Eyman to head the Office of Financial Management . Or better yet, the Department of Transportation, since the son of a bitch has been destroying their budget for years now anyway.

The stress is literally getting to me, physically. This shit is not going to be pretty, and let's just all PRAY that the recount comes through :(

ODShowtime
11-19-2004, 11:45 AM
Even I've let it go. I was a wreck the first week. Now I just realize what I should have known. I have no say in gov't and everyone is crazy or stupid. Hoard money hand over fist and head for the fuckin' hills!

FORD
11-19-2004, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by ODShowtime
Even I've let it go. I was a wreck the first week. Now I just realize what I should have known. I have no say in gov't and everyone is crazy or stupid. Hoard money hand over fist and head for the fuckin' hills!

Good point.... but in my case, hoarding money hand over fist might be difficult if I'm unemployed as a result. Right now I'm not thinking the immediate risk of that happening is too high, but we'll see what happens.

Nickdfresh
11-19-2004, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by FORD
Dino Rossi does NOT fit that category. He's a Bush Jr clone who even named his dog "Dubya" and is rumored to play with Anndrew Coulter dolls (and no, I did not make that up)
:(

Is this Dino's doll?

ODShowtime
11-19-2004, 11:58 AM
Well good luck man. You sound like you are passionate about your work if you work in politics of gov't. I do too, and will be ceasing that shortly because I cannot have political decisions directly affecting my compensation.

FORD
11-19-2004, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh
Is this Dino's doll?

Actually, this is the one I was referring to..... http://www.rightwingnews.com/graphics/coulterdoll.jpg

It's the companion to the "Chimp in a Flight Suit" doll.

But I wouldn't be surprised if he had the "love doll" as well.

Switch84
11-19-2004, 03:07 PM
:rolleyes: Jeebs, are we so far gone with this election shit that we're cheering over the possible unemployment of another Army member? I hope Ford isn't affected by this governor change and keeps his job! Too many of us (myself, included) are pounding the pavement looking for another gig.

Fuck that negative shit!

Hang in there, DAVE! :D

Cathedral
11-19-2004, 04:06 PM
Yet another instance where job security is but an illusive dream, or myth, if you will.

You are in my prayers, Dave. I would hate to see you unemployed for any reason because it sucks, and i wouldn't wish that kind of bullshit on anyone.

Nickdfresh
11-19-2004, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by Cathedral
Yet another instance where job security is but an illusive dream, or myth, if you will.

You are in my prayers, Dave. I would hate to see you unemployed for any reason because it sucks, and i wouldn't wish that kind of bullshit on anyone.

Being unemployed does have it's moments though!:D

fanofdave
11-19-2004, 04:22 PM
FORD has a valid point regarding state workers in WA.
I have plenty of friends that work for the state in Olympia.
They're all under a lot of stress now. Regardless of our
differences in political views, I'd never wish that kind of
stress on anyone. Hope you ride out the storm, FORD.

Tim Eyman for Office Of Financial Management?
FUCK NO! I may be an independent, but Tim Eyman
is just a greedy mothafucka with no conscience.
We call him the initiative leech because he's always
latching on and sucking hard for the money.

Lou
11-19-2004, 06:46 PM
FORD, in all seriousness, how would electing the Republican candidate cause you to lose your job?

lucky wilbury
11-19-2004, 06:47 PM
because the bce will then have an inside line on fords activities causing him to quit thats why! besides i think they might install a no tin foil beenies policy so ford won't be able to wear his favorite hat any more to work which would also cause him to quit.

FORD
11-19-2004, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by Lou
FORD, in all seriousness, how would electing the Republican candidate cause you to lose your job?

I didn't say it would. Matt did, and it's an exxageration.

Stress from massive right wing policy changes is far more likely. As I said, there hasn't been a Republican governor here in 20 years, and never one as extremist as Rossi. Fact is, nobody knows exactly what will happen. But with both houses of the Legislature in Democratic hands (thank God), Rossi might try to push as much of the radical right agenda through his cabinet as he can possibly get away with.

Exaggerations all aside, I appreciate the supportive statements from all, even the very unexpected ones. But don't expect to see me in the soup lines just yet :)

ELVIS
11-19-2004, 09:48 PM
Maybe his "extremist" views might prove good for the beautiful state of Washington...

:elvis:

John Ashcroft
11-19-2004, 09:51 PM
Notice anyone who doesn't lock-step with Ford in his ultra left ideology is labeled "extremist". To include members of his own party like Zell Miller and Joe Lieberman.

Well, I guess we just live in an "extremist" country nowadays. Better run to Canada ASAP, while there's still a chance!

Nickdfresh
11-19-2004, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by ELVIS
Maybe his "extremist" views might prove good for the beautiful state of Washington...

Why? Do they want their economy ruined too?

FORD
11-19-2004, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by ELVIS

No, the reason the state of Washington is still beautiful is because we don't have millionaire real-estate developers from California sitting in the Governor's mansion.

Until now, that is. :( possibly. Hopefully not.

FORD
11-19-2004, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by John Ashcroft
Notice anyone who doesn't lock-step with Ford in his ultra left ideology is labeled "extremist". To include members of his own party like Zell Miller and Joe Lieberman.

Well, I guess we just live in an "extremist" country nowadays. Better run to Canada ASAP, while there's still a chance!

Guess you need to read the thread again. I said we used to have decent Republicans in this state. "used to" being the operative word.

ELVIS
11-19-2004, 10:15 PM
No, the reason the state of Washington is still beautiful is because we don't have millionaire real-estate developers from California sitting in the Governor's mansion.

So, your main agenda in your little world is real estate concerns ??

Switch84
11-19-2004, 10:45 PM

;) :p How about Kenny G. for governor? He's your homeboy, and I LOOOVVVEEEEEEE his music!

BUWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAA!!!

FORD
11-19-2004, 11:15 PM
If only Hendrix was still alive :(

We could always run Krist Novoselic or Eddie Vedder, i guess.

Lou
11-20-2004, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by John Ashcroft

C'mon, Zell Miller is NOT a Democrat. He was even asked by Larry King why he hasn't switched parties. His answer was, "Well you know, I've been in one 'house' my whole life, it's hard to go to another 'house'."

freak
11-20-2004, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by Lou
C'mon, Zell Miller is NOT a Democrat. He was even asked by Larry King why he hasn't switched parties. His answer was, "Well you know, I've been in one 'house' my whole life, it's hard to go to another 'house'."

Actually, Zell's a reflection of what the party used to be before they veered so far to the left.

Back when they were a real political party that didn't pander to lunatics and minorities.

Viking
11-20-2004, 07:28 PM
Would now be a good time to start an 'Official FORD Suicide Watch' thread? :D

BigBadBrian
11-20-2004, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by Viking
Would now be a good time to start an 'Official FORD Suicide Watch' thread? :D

I thought that was needed when FOXNEWS declared Bush had won Ohio. :gulp:

Flash Bastard
11-20-2004, 10:02 PM
FORD wouldn't be any fun if he were employed, happy and not politically disenfranchised.

However I hope he gets a job real soon because he's supposed to come to visit me in Colorado where we'll go whoring and boozing. A guy that size drinks a lot of beer and would break a few hookers in half so we need all the cash we can get. Bribes and bail can be expensive. :D

Guitar Shark
11-23-2004, 11:17 AM
I didn't say it would. Matt did, and it's an exxageration.

Actually I didn't say that it would, I think I said something about it being more likely, or possible.

In any case, Rossi has picked up an additional 25 votes since the electronic recount started:

http://www.king5.com/topstories/stories/NW_112304WABgovernor_election_recountJM.84e50ecc.h tml

Recount in governor's race continues despite legal challenge
224 more ballots discovered in Snohomish Co.

After all counties reported their tallies last week, Republican Dino Rossi led Democrat Christine O. Gregoire by 261 votes out of some 2.8 million ballots cast. State law requires a machine recount when the margin is less than 2,000 votes.

As of Tuesday morning, 24 counties had reported recount results, giving Rossi an extra 25 votes, although the state's most populous counties have not yet reported their re-count totals.

And, election workers in Snohomish County have discovered 224 ballots that were apparently overlooked.

The canvassing board is meeting today in Everett to decide whether to add the ballots to the re-count which is under way in the governor's race.

Auditor Bop Terwilliger says the ballots are from 33 precincts and appear to be either absentees that trickled in or provisional ballots that needed checking.

Meanwhile, Republicans who filed a lawsuit in an attempt to keep some ballots out of the recount of the governor's race must wait a week to make their arguments in court.

U.S. District Judge Ricardo S. Martinez scheduled a hearing for Nov. 30, two days before the state is set to certify results of the recount.

The state Republicans filed the lawsuit Saturday, arguing that ballots rejected by machines should be excluded from the recount because they have to be checked by hand -- a process that doesn't happen in counties that use punchcard ballots.

Election officials say the ballots in question, which machines couldn't read, are being tracked and could be subtracted if Martinez rules in Republicans' favor.

"Applying counting standards in selected counties different from those in others violates the equal protection and due process protections of the U.S. and Washington constitutions and ultimately will deny Washington voters their fundamental right to vote," the lawsuit stated.

On Sunday, a different federal judge denied a GOP move to stop heavily Democratic King County from hand-counting ballots that machines can't read.

Republicans had hoped the judge would rule hand-counting unconstitutional in all counties with optical scanners, state GOP Chairman Chris Vance said.

Most of Washington's 39 counties use optical scanners, 14 use punchcards and two use touch screens at the polls with optical scanners for absentee ballots, according to the secretary of state's office.

In their lawsuit, Republicans noted that Rossi carried 11 of the 14 punchcard counties while Gregoire won a heavy majority of the votes in King County, which uses optical scanners.

State Elections Director Nick Handy disputed the GOP's argument that the handling of "undervotes" -- ballots that don't register a vote in a particular race -- is substantially different with optical scanning from that of punchcards.

"The methodology is different, but the standard is the same," Handy said.

In each system, machines spit out undervote ballots and an election staffer checks to see if it's clear what the voter meant to do.

If the voter's intent is clear -- say, an oval was circled instead of filled in or punched out -- the election staffer fixes the ballot and sends it back through the machine. If it isn't clear, a canvassing board takes a closer and makes a final determination about the vote.

In most cases, undervotes aren't mistakes but indicate choices not to vote in a particular race.

In King County, 710 out of some 22,000 undervotes were expected to be added to the county's total, county elections spokeswoman Bobbie Egan said Monday night. That includes ballots with clear enough markings to be fixed and those on which a canvassing board could determine voters' intent.

Any votes Gregoire picks up from those ballots could be offset because the same recount process is happening elsewhere, including Republican-leaning counties where Rossi won handily.

The GOP lawsuit before Martinez asserted that ballots enhanced or duplicated after Election Day weren't being properly tracked and therefore could not be re-examined for accuracy. Election officials said that wasn't true.

Democrats decried the GOP's effort.

"Stop trying to throw away people's votes!" Paul Berendt, chairman of Washington State Democrats, said in a statement issued before a count-every-vote rally Monday at King County's recount headquarters. "Our position is very simple: Count every vote and live with the results."

"We are not going to let the Washington D.C. Republicans steal this election from Chris Gregoire," Berendt also told KING5 News.

In a news conference an hour later at the same spot, Republicans accused the county of corrupting the process by altering ballots.

"They are manually enhancing the ballots, and there's no way that one can go back and determine the intent of the ballot of that voter," said Diane Tebelius, a GOP lawyer.

Dean Logan, King County elections director, said ballots are enhanced only when doing so won't mask what the voter originally did. If that can't be done, he said, election workers fill out a separate ballot to duplicate the voter's markings so a machine can read them.

King County Elections Superintendent Bill Huennekens said the recount is being handled scrupulously, with observers from each party watching closely.

"In an election this close, each side has an interest in pressuring and advancing their issues and concerns, and we have a duty ... to conduct the recount according to law and our long-standing established policies and procedures," Huennekens said.

Republicans complained Sunday that Huennekens refused to send at least one ballot to a canvassing board for review, even though the bubble next to Rossi's name was clearly filled in, with only a small mark next to Gregoire's name. Huennekens said the mark actually was made in the Gregoire bubble, which made it an "overvote" that can't be counted toward either candidate's total.

A former Democratic precinct committee officer in Mason County, Huennekens scoffed at Republicans' suggestion that he was letting politics taint the process. "I'm not a PCO anymore and I conduct elections in a nonpartisan manner according to state law," he said.

Among other complaints, Republicans said a box of ballots that was supposed to be sealed was found unsealed and had 201 ballots -- two more than a receipt on the box said it should have had.

Logan said such discrepancies occur occasionally, and that in any such case, the box is set aside and counted again to make sure it has the right number of ballots.

Another problem Republicans pointed out: precincts where fewer ballots were on hand when the recount started than on Election Day.

At one point as the county prepared for the recount, it appeared 88 ballots were missing from one precinct, Vance said.

The ballots were later found in a bag, which Logan said a poll worker used on Election Night because the ballots wouldn't fit into the box.

"If they (the Republicans) feel it furthers their cause to take pot shots at our operations ... I want to stay beyond that," Logan said. "It's not about us. It's about the voters of King County and making sure every vote counts."

Ongoing suspense is perhaps the only sure thing in this election. After the machine recount is done, the state will certify the results of the election on Dec. 2.

After that, the candidates or the state parties can demand a hand recount or another machine recount. They would have to pay $420,000 for a machine recount or $700,000 for a hand recount, unless the recount changes the winner, in which case taxpayers get the tab.

Nickdfresh
11-23-2004, 11:21 AM
Yeah but...

FORD
11-23-2004, 11:39 AM
Fuck Chris Dunce in the ass with a dull rusty chainsaw.

Switch84
11-23-2004, 05:00 PM
Fuck Chris Dunce in the ass with a dull rusty chainsaw.

:eek: :eek: :eek: YEEEEEOOOOOUUUUCCCCHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

;) I still like the Kenny G. suggestion, though.

BUWHAHAHAHAAA!!

Alex Mogilny
11-29-2004, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by Guitar Shark

Any predictions, Dave?

Let me ask you a question.

Why do you feel it neccessary to let people know that you are a lawyer. Hence the "law talkin' guy' reference under your photoshopped (is that a word?) picture of FORD.

I want to know. Is it some form of catharsis? Why do you do this? You have let everyone know you are a lawyer since the days of the pleasure dome.

Also, Why do you have to come in here and pick on FORD? I can clearly read between the lines. Afterall, I thought you guys were buds. You did after all attend a DLR concert together.

What say you MATT?