PDA

View Full Version : Which Dave solo releases top CVH?



Vivian Campbell
11-19-2004, 04:07 PM
Would you rank any of Daveís solo albums above the Classic 6 pack? I surely would. To me, DLR Band and A Little Ainít Enough are leaps and bounds better than VHII, WACF, and Diver Down. Hell, if ALAE had an Eddie caliber guitarist, it would be better than ANY VH release.

Carmine
11-19-2004, 04:12 PM
whoa, tough stretch here Viv. There are glimmers on some of Daves solo stuff, but IMO nothing matches the power of Classic VH!! I do agree that if some of that stuff had been recorded with VH it would have been that much better, but....those 6 albums were leaps and bounds above everything else that was out at the time...any of which if released TODAY, would still be as powerful as they were in 78,79,80,81,82 or 84, they were just that damn good!!

TwoFoolsAMinute
11-20-2004, 05:48 PM
I believe in my heart of hearts that Eat Em And Smile was the best record Roth ever did...period.

thepunisher
11-20-2004, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by TwoFoolsAMinute
I believe in my heart of hearts that Eat Em And Smile was the best record Roth ever did...period.
EEAS is at least as good as any VH classic album. IMHO

hard rock
11-24-2004, 02:04 PM
i agree that daves solo material does not live up to classic six pack standards but eat em and smile comes close.

there are tunes that come close but not entire albums

DaveIsKing
11-24-2004, 02:47 PM
hERE'S MY tAKE...

FAIR WARNING
VAN HALEN I
1984
EAT 'EM & SMILE
WACF
DLR BAND
ALAE
VAN HALEN II
DIVER DOWN
SKYSCRAPER
DIAMOND DAVE
YFLM

DeadOrAlive
11-24-2004, 02:54 PM
EE&S Was the best Solo DLR album!

dave_is_vh
11-24-2004, 08:49 PM
With the exception of Diamond Dave and Crazy From The Heat, ALL of Dave's solo CDs are better than Diver Down.

Skyscraper and Filthy Mouth are better than WACF and VHII.

dave_is_vh
11-24-2004, 08:52 PM
EEAS is Dave's worst, with the exception of DD and CFTH.

Matt White
11-24-2004, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by Carmine Raguzza.
whoa, tough stretch here Viv. There are glimmers on some of Daves solo stuff, but IMO nothing matches the power of Classic VH!! I do agree that if some of that stuff had been recorded with VH it would have been that much better, but....those 6 albums were leaps and bounds above everything else that was out at the time...any of which if released TODAY, would still be as powerful as they were in 78,79,80,81,82 or 84, they were just that damn good!!

I'm with 'ya Carmine. The only music EVER to come close to CLASSIC VAN HALEN is LED ZEPPELIN. Nothing else.

sambo
11-24-2004, 11:32 PM
Classic VH was more than the sum of their parts and for that reason they are better than Roth solo... Roth just took the EEAS band to a "similar" level - but it lacked that special "something".

Matt - cool pic mate... awesome!!!

Matt White
11-24-2004, 11:40 PM
Sambo, that was the first VAN HALEN poster that I ever laid eyes on. I'm gonna have to search E-Bay to buy myself one!

Vivian Campbell
11-25-2004, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by DaveIsKing
hERE'S MY tAKE...

FAIR WARNING
VAN HALEN I
1984
EAT 'EM & SMILE
WACF
DLR BAND
ALAE
VAN HALEN II
DIVER DOWN
SKYSCRAPER
DIAMOND DAVE
YFLM

My favorites in order

Van Halen 1
Fair Warning
1984
ALAE
DLR Band
Van Halen II
WACF
EE&S
Diver Down
Sky Scraper
YFLM
Diamond Dave

DeadOrAlive
11-25-2004, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by Matt White
Sambo, that was the first VAN HALEN poster that I ever laid eyes on. I'm gonna have to search E-Bay to buy myself one!

I would die to have a VH poster... I need that one!!

dave_is_vh
11-25-2004, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by Matt White
I'm with 'ya Carmine. The only music EVER to come close to CLASSIC VAN HALEN is LED ZEPPELIN. Nothing else.

Maybe us VH fans should stop feeling so sorry for ourselves. Led Zeppelin only made 8 studio albums (not including Coda). Just two more than VH.

Although I agree classic Van Halen and Led Zeppelin are the greatest rock bands of all time, The Beatles and The Rolling Stones were as good, possibly better.

Vivian Campbell
11-25-2004, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by dave_is_vh
Maybe us VH fans should stop feeling so sorry for ourselves. Led Zeppelin only made 8 studio albums (not including Coda). Just two more than VH.



I agree 100%. How many bands have 6 albums they can boast about?

As the years go by, Van Halen's legend will continue to grow and rise of above all the B.S. we're talking about today.

I think once this baby boom generation dies off, there will be a new evaluation of our icons. Many will fall in the eyes of the new perceivers because they were always overrated (Led Zep, Hendrix, and The Doors in my opinion). Others will take their rightful spot amongst the legends (Van Halen, Ritchie Blackmore, etc.).

Or, I could be wrong and the new legends will be P Diddy, Fred Durst, and Ashlee Simpson.

squib
11-25-2004, 08:50 PM
No question EEAS belongs right there in the middle of the 6 pack. Name one Spammy CD that does...

RogueHorseman
11-28-2004, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by squib
No question EEAS belongs right there in the middle of the 6 pack...

Ditto on that.

aesop
11-28-2004, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by Vivian Campbell
Would you rank any of Daveís solo albums above the Classic 6 pack? I surely would. To me, DLR Band and A Little Ainít Enough are leaps and bounds better than VHII, WACF, and Diver Down. Hell, if ALAE had an Eddie caliber guitarist, it would be better than ANY VH release.

FWIW, Jason Becker was an incredible guitarist. He didn't write the songs or solos except for the last (2) songs on the album, of which 'Last Call' absolutely kicks ass. He also did the guitar parts on ALAE single. He's commented on it before - He thought the guitar parts were mostly weak as well, but it wasn't his call.

Downoad his album 'perpetual burn' sometime. That's what got him the job...

Vivian Campbell
12-02-2004, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by aesop
FWIW, Jason Becker was an incredible guitarist. He didn't write the songs or solos except for the last (2) songs on the album, of which 'Last Call' absolutely kicks ass. He also did the guitar parts on ALAE single. He's commented on it before - He thought the guitar parts were mostly weak as well, but it wasn't his call.

Downoad his album 'perpetual burn' sometime. That's what got him the job...

Thanks for the clarification. I did realize that Craig Goldy of DIO wrote ďLady Luck.Ē Itís also no coincidence that itís the weakest song, guitar wise, on the whole album. Personally, my favorite guitar solo on ALAE is on ďBabyís On Fire.Ē That song smokes!

Loons The Great
06-28-2006, 02:59 PM
WACF
FW
VH1
VH2
DD
1984
EEAS
ALAE
DLRBAND
Diamond Dave
CFTH
Skycrapper
YFLM

Figs
06-28-2006, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by Vivian Campbell
Would you rank any of Daveís solo albums above the Classic 6 pack?


Absolutely none. Not even close....

Terry
07-01-2006, 04:23 PM
Dunno about ranking, but I'm not listening to much of Diver Down or 1984 these days, whereas EEAS, The DLR Band and YFLM are still getting regular play.