PDA

View Full Version : EU Officials implore immigrants to learn "European Values"

BigBadBrian
11-20-2004, 09:28 PM
European Union justice and interior ministers agreed Friday that new immigrants to the 25-nation bloc should be required to learn local languages, and to adhere to general "European values" that will guide them toward better integration.

Dutch immigration minister Rita Verdonk, who chaired the meeting, said all countries agreed to make integrating newcomers a priority, considering the growing ethnic tensions as EU nations struggle to absorb a steady stream of poor, mostly Muslim immigrants.

Just this month in the Netherlands, the slaying of filmmaker Theo van Gogh by a suspected Muslim radical unleashed a wave of attacks against mosques, churches and religious schools in a country once famed for its tolerance.

Tensions also rose in Belgium, where authorities arrested a suspect Friday accused of sending death threats to a senator of Moroccan heritage who criticized radical Muslims.

"It's not like we are against immigration," Verdonk said. "If you want to live in the Netherlands, you have to adhere to our rules ... and learn our language."

Highlighting a European-wide problem, Verdonk said that some 500,000 Turkish and Moroccan immigrants in the Netherlands don't speak Dutch.

For now, integration policies across the continent vary greatly. Public concerns over immigration have fueled electoral successes for far-right parties in several European countries, including Austria and Italy, where they have joined the national government.

Many Muslims have bristled at new rules targeting immigrants that they say amount to racial profiling that is insensitive of their religion.

Yet incoming EU justice and home affairs commissioner Franco Frattini told reporters in Rome that integration had to be an essential part of an EU policy.

"We can't imagine an immigration policy that focuses only on the prevention of illegal immigration, without considering the integration of those who want to enter a European country to live and work there in full respect of the law of both the country and Europe," Frattini said.

The EU ministers also set out a list of 11 nonbinding guidelines for governments and immigrant communities, including accepting basic European values, providing employment and education, knowledge of the local language, culture and history, and open access to local health care and other public services.

URL: http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/news/archive/2004/11/19/international1346EST0547.DTL

Nickdfresh
11-20-2004, 09:39 PM
I thought you'd agree with them. After all don't you hate "wet back?"

Switch84
11-21-2004, 02:59 AM
:confused: Darling Nikki, what is wrong with assimilating to the laws, language, and customs of a country one wishes to become a citizen of? Simply put, 'When in Rome, do as the Romans". When I was stationed in Okinawa my second year in the Air Force, we were instructed to adhere to their laws and respect their culture. I had no problem with that, either, because it's common sense to respect someone's home/country/whatever.

If I want to immigrate to Italy and become a citizen, I damn well better learn the language, laws, and culture. Same with anyone else wanting to join another country. Italy shoudn't be required to bend over and change their way of life to acommidate me. And they won't.

If I want to keep to my American ways, then I should keep my American ass in the United States!

NUTHIN BUT YEAH!

Nickdfresh
11-21-2004, 03:01 AM
Nothing at all. I just thought BigBad was being negative and criticizing the Europeans.

Switch84
11-21-2004, 03:03 AM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh
Nothing at all. I just thought BigBad was being negative and criticizing the Europeans.

:o Oh.

NEVERMIND

LMAO

Big Train
11-21-2004, 03:58 AM
I'm not criticizing them, although I find it comical that they have the balls to say as much about us. Those statements in the article sound a lot like like "fly over" state values to me...

Nickdfresh
11-21-2004, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by Big Train
I'm not criticizing them, although I find it comical that they have the balls to say as much about us. Those statements in the article sound a lot like like "fly over" state values to me...

Seriously, I'm not sure the Europeans criticize us on immigration because every Western Euro. country has significant underclasses of Muslim immigrants and it worries them.

JCOOK
11-21-2004, 12:11 PM
Fuck the muslims,What... I'm suposed to feel sorry for them IT WAS MUSLIMS BEHIND 9/11. It wasn't the moonies,Hare Krishnas,Babtists or Catholics They were Muslim extremests

Nickdfresh
11-21-2004, 12:18 PM
Who said I feel sorry for them? And there is plenty of extremisms to go around all religions.

BigBadBrian
11-21-2004, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh

I AM criticizing them. We'll see how you feel when I post an article saying how every Mexican in CA and every Cubano in FL MUST learn to speak and write ENGLISH to a certain designated standard according to US Law. ;)

Viking
11-21-2004, 04:00 PM
BORDERS. LANGUAGE. CULTURE. To offer the Muslims a safe haven in Western society will be suicide. They will become the alien trash of the planet. It would be better to bring them to their knees and beg for mercy, then we'll be in a far better position to dictate terms.

Nickdfresh
11-21-2004, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by Viking
BORDERS. LANGUAGE. CULTURE. To offer the Muslims a safe haven in Western society will be suicide. They will become the alien trash of the planet. It would be better to bring them to their knees and beg for mercy, then we'll be in a far better position to dictate terms.

Uhh, actually we are not bringing "them" (whoever that is) to their knees, not in Iraq nor anywhere else. You obviously didn't get the point of the Star Trek film you quote from.

Viking
11-21-2004, 04:55 PM
Yes, I do, but just like liberalism itself, I tend to take artistic license to make my point. Unlike liberals, I take license with a movie - not reality.

Switch84
11-21-2004, 10:40 PM
Yes, I do, but just like liberalism itself, I tend to take artistic license to make my point. Unlike liberals, I take license with a movie - not reality.

:D :D :D LMAO!

Vivian Campbell
12-01-2004, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by Switch84
:confused: Darling Nikki, what is wrong with assimilating to the laws, language, and customs of a country one wishes to become a citizen of? Simply put, 'When in Rome, do as the Romans". When I was stationed in Okinawa my second year in the Air Force, we were instructed to adhere to their laws and respect their culture. I had no problem with that, either, because it's common sense to respect someone's home/country/whatever.

If I want to immigrate to Italy and become a citizen, I damn well better learn the language, laws, and culture. Same with anyone else wanting to join another country. Italy shoudn't be required to bend over and change their way of life to acommidate me. And they won't.

If I want to keep to my American ways, then I should keep my American ass in the United States!

NUTHIN BUT YEAH!

How DARE you make so much sense!

Vivian Campbell
12-01-2004, 09:34 AM
http://www.rotharmy.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=301879

Is that Kofi Annan?

Warham
12-01-2004, 09:39 AM
LMAO.

Kofi must have crash landed here a few years back.