PDA

View Full Version : Floating Bridges on Wolfies

Eyes of the Night
11-21-2004, 06:49 AM
I can't naturally float the bridge that's on the wolfie because Ed put a chunk of wood there added for "tonality" ...

I've raised the bridge lessening the springs in the back evening the bridge in the tuning that I'm in ... dropped D ...

Took out the Dtuna ...

Is that a good start? ... or am I haywire here? ...

Added the 3rd spring even ... directions of those 2 springs matter?

Innotation a big key?

How do I get all my string heights the same? ...

I'm a total rook on trems ... my first!

Panamark
11-21-2004, 07:10 AM
G'day Eyes,

My Kahler trem is not something I fuck with personally,
I always get a luthier to set it up.. But maybe Unca Elvis
or some of the other gear freaks could help out ???

Eyes of the Night
11-21-2004, 07:24 AM
True ... I'm too stubborn I guess cause how hard can it actually be? ...

cause each time I change string gauges or set new tunnings I'll have to reset the bridge ...

twonabomber
11-21-2004, 10:48 AM
aren't the Floyds on Wolfgangs recessed? i think you're stuck.

Eyes of the Night
11-22-2004, 04:26 AM
In the Wolfgang manual it said to "float it" I would have to raise the 2 bridge screws on the body and lessen the springs ...

With the help of this link http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/for_beginners/set_up_for_floyd_rose_.html which has awesome tabs, eyes of the night even, I managed to set my shit kinda straight tonight! ...

Self high five ...

Now onto innotation!!! lmao

ThrillsNSpills
11-22-2004, 06:52 AM
Good luck Eyes.

Hope the Wolfgang treats you well.

Try a Steinberger if you get disgusted with floating bridges.

Five minute string change and right back to playin.

rustoffa
11-22-2004, 08:15 PM
I got a Danelectro and a silvertone amp.

I just wanted to say the thread title made me LOL.

Eyes of the Night
11-24-2004, 01:56 PM
http://www.diamonddavidleeroth.com/forums/showthread.php?p=83636#post83636

Eyes of the Night
11-24-2004, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by ThrillsNSpills
Try a Steinberger

Riiight!:rolleyes:;) ...

I'm so rookie at 29 ... lmfao

Nitro Express
11-24-2004, 09:38 PM
Dude, EVH likes his Floyds set right down on the wood and the guitar isn't routed for a floating trem. There are plenty of good guitars out there set up with floating trems (Jackson and Ibanez come to mind). Raising the trem might require shiming the neck.

I personally think Wolfgangs are ugly guitars but I like the neck and it's the only off the rack guitar that has the Floyd set the way I like. Harddown on the wood.

I think you are looking at having to have some wood removed with a router to make the guitar do what you want it to do. I personally wouldn't fuck with it. Get an Ibanez instead. Their trems are awsome.

Eyes of the Night
11-25-2004, 06:24 AM
Cool info Nitro ... by taking out that chunk of wood would it jeopardize the tone like how Ed fucked up his destroyer? ...

Panamark
11-26-2004, 02:39 AM
Fucking a Destroyer !!!

How could he ????

That should be punishable by death !

Eyes of the Night
11-26-2004, 02:58 AM
Yeah dogg ... can you say WACF?;) ...

ELVIS
11-27-2004, 04:45 AM
Originally posted by Eyes
Cool info Nitro ... by taking out that chunk of wood would it jeopardize the tone like how Ed fucked up his destroyer? ...

A good luthier can do exactly what you want...

Maybe that's the way to go...

GAR
11-29-2004, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by Eyes
True ... I'm too stubborn I guess cause how hard can it actually be? ...

cause each time I change string gauges or set new tunnings I'll have to reset the bridge ...

Changing from .008 gauge to a .009 or .010 even can significantly change the pull tension between nut and bridge so there is definately NOT a "set" way to have your bridge float if you're gonna bounce back n forth between string sets.

But if you do this alot (once or 2x a mo.) I would suggest you get a very good quality #2 ten inch HARDENED TIP phillips screwdriver for adjusting the spring pull in back, and buy some extra screws as replacements when the heads strip.

Because your fingerboard is radiused, the bridgepieces are set at a radius also and therefore not adjustable unless you wanna fuck it up on a bench grinder: but you better be really really good eyeballing a 90* "facing operation" removing material from the underside of the bridge, using micrometers to measure progress and TO KNOW how much removal you desire beforehand!

In otherwords, take it to a luthier who does Floyd mods. If I do them, then there must be somebody else out there also - but if it takes me 16 hours to do it right you wouldn't wanna know what I charge

As a luthier I would suggest the following also:

If you don't know what screws to replace the Spring Claw with, just remember they are the same as common Fender style bolt-on neck screws I think 1-1/2" #10 screws.. something like that. You should rub just the ends (like, 4 threads full) with soap - just use a bar of any soap like Ivory to lube the threads before running new screws in there and it'll go like a breeze.

I would also say you should try adjusting the claw out as far as possible, and use 5 springs at first so as to acquaint yourself with the whole thing on how tension VS string gauge works like a teeter-totter in balance because ultimately its gonna be your preference on how you want the bridge to sit, and the more springs the merrier IMO because they hold the tension better with less required strength.

Using 2 or 3 springs only, you gotta really bury the claw screws down closer into the wood making it harder to fine-adjust, although I prefer using 2 springs myself for practicing.

I would prefer all 5 for recording.. more "points of contact" to the body for a smidgeon more body-string resonance.

Eyes of the Night
12-01-2004, 04:36 AM
Niiice:cool:

Perfect, exactly what I needed to know ... detail

GAR
12-01-2004, 04:42 PM
of course you know that if you use only 2 springs, you attach at the blocks' 2 outer holes, then pull with needle nosed pliers to push the spring eyelet down over the 2nd most inner pair of claw fingers?

The Yngwie way was to attach 3 straight.. 2 on the low E side straight across side by side, then 1 at the 2nd from the outermost hole parallel to the 2nd outermost claw finger.

Eyes of the Night
12-12-2004, 02:08 AM
Yeah, instead of pulling with needle pliers I used my finners ... and fuck yngwie! ... lofl

why is it that my bottom 3 strings do a half note bend when I do a "trill" with the highest 2 strings? ... bridge out of line? My bottom half of the trem IS about 2 widths higher than higher ...