PDA

View Full Version : So This Is Love?

Mothereffer
11-21-2004, 06:10 PM
this has always bugged me for years and years since I bought Fair Warning on vinyl and CD. anyone else notice the sudden fairly dramatic volume level drop within the first 10 seconds of "So This is Love?".

Musta fucked up when mastering the record and I guess decided just to leave it as is. I mean, how could you not notice it?

Atomic_Rob
11-22-2004, 01:47 PM
Yeah I noticed it too, real shame its like that. I'm guessing Ed was probably drunk at the time

LookN4AMootBeat
11-22-2004, 02:26 PM
That may be due to the compression/equilization technology of the time period. During the actual performance of the song as soon as Dave is about to start singing it happens, and his presence near the microphone may have been enough to trip the compressor, which then equalizes the bass (and other instruments) down to the level it needed to be so that the vocals aren't competing with the rest of the band. In my opinion it's all equalized as it should be.......I don't mind the slight volume drop, it never bothered me.

EbDawson
11-22-2004, 09:59 PM
Another reason to get the remasters (if you haven't already). Drop is still noticable but everything else is up so it all works out in the end.

DLRdelight!
11-23-2004, 01:38 AM
Who cares, still a kick ass tune

LookN4AMootBeat
11-23-2004, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by EbDawson
Another reason to get the remasters (if you haven't already). Drop is still noticable but everything else is up so it all works out in the end.

This kindof proves I may be right about it, since they are unable to remix the volume drop out means that it happened during recording, and based on personal experience older compressors/limiters will do that as soon as you even breath on the mic or get near it. This was probably still a mistake made in the pre-setting of the equipment, since it doesn't happen all the time on recordings it means the sound person/people screwed up lol.

diamondsgirl
11-23-2004, 11:13 AM
Its my fave tune, and I love that little glitch. It is perfectly imperfect. :)

DlocRoth
11-23-2004, 11:14 AM
"Now check me out on my good side here."

Antman
11-29-2004, 10:12 PM
Always noticed it, never bothered me. That's what made real VH so badass, they lived for the moment. You can't capture magic with a hundred takes. It usually is spontaneous and can't be staged. It gives the song a real feel. That's why Van Hagar sucks so bad-everythig is staged, planned and just plain boring.

smaz
12-01-2004, 05:02 AM
I thought it was intentional, to bring everything down and quiet ready from everyone coming in with a bang later. Sounds like Mikey and Alex were playing quieter, not being made quieter.

RogueHorseman
12-01-2004, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by smaz
I thought it was intentional, to bring everything down and quiet ready from everyone coming in with a bang later. Sounds like Mikey and Alex were playing quieter, not being made quieter.

Zackly.

RogueHorseman
12-01-2004, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by Antman
Always noticed it, never bothered me. That's what made real VH so badass, they lived for the moment. You can't capture magic with a hundred takes. It usually is spontaneous and can't be staged. It gives the song a real feel. That's why Van Hagar sucks so bad-everythig is staged, planned and just plain boring.

Zackly x2.

Vivian Campbell
12-02-2004, 07:01 PM

I thought the same thing. I like how it starts calm and low and then hits you with pulse pounding energy - Thats what Rock N Roll is all about.

katie
12-02-2004, 07:06 PM

That's right

Yes this is called production,
This is why you have a producer (Ted).

They hold back,
Then go for the SLAM DUNK!

Great days...........................

Katie - UK