PDA

View Full Version : Five Hunters Gunned Down in WI

Nickdfresh
11-22-2004, 08:37 AM
Five hunters gunned down in Wisconsin woods
Police: Dispute over deer stand apparently led to killings
Monday, November 22, 2004 Posted: 3:24 AM EST (0824 GMT)

(CNN) -- Sheriff's deputies are investigating the killings of five hunters Sunday in northwest Wisconsin -- bloodshed apparently sparked by a dispute over a hunting spot. A suspect has been arrested.

"This is completely nuts," said Chief Deputy Tim Zeigle of the Sawyer County Sheriff's Department. "Why? I mean, five people dead because somebody was trespassing on property. It makes no sense."

Three others were wounded, said Julie Veness, an emergency medical technician in Exeland, Wisconsin.

Saturday marked the opening of the nine-day deer season, and Veness said the shootings appeared to stem from a dispute over a deer stand -- an elevated position from which hunters can target deer.

"Apparently, the person was asked to leave and get out of his deer stand, and he didn't take it very well and he fired away at them," she said.

The suspect apparently got lost in the woods after the rampage. He was led out by a pair of hunters who were not aware of the shootings, according to Zeigle.

"We were very thankful to take him into custody. No one else got hurt," Zeigle said. "When he was taken into custody, his gun was empty."

Jennifer Greshowak, a spokeswoman for Lakeview Medical Center in Rice Lake, said three men from the same hunting party were brought to that facility after suffering gunshot wounds. One of the three was transferred to a hospital in nearby Marshfield, she said.

The other two -- identified by relatives as Denny Drew and Lauren Hesebeck -- were recovering from surgery at Lakeview. Drew was in serious condition, while Hesebeck was listed in fair condition, their families said in a statement issued Sunday night.

"Our families certainly appreciate the thoughts and prayers of this close-knit community, and encourage you to think and pray for the other families involved," the statement said.

Veness said the killings have shocked Exeland, a village of 219 people about 135 miles northeast of Minneapolis.

"It just doesn't happen in this neck of the woods," she said. "We don't expect any of this to happen."

Emergency personnel gather near the shooting scene Sunday.
Image:

FORD
11-22-2004, 09:38 AM
Proof positive that many of those who kill for "sport" are in serious need of mental health evaluation.

BTW, though the specifics of the murder weapon weren't mentioned, the fact that he managed to take out 5 armed individuals leads me to believe it might have been.....

.....one of those recently "unbanned" assault weapons??

Prayers and condolences to the victims and their families :(

No mercy to this psychotic pig :gun:

rustoffa
11-22-2004, 09:55 AM
Bingo!!

AK-47!

moose
11-22-2004, 10:07 AM
What a freakin disgrace. This is the type of element that we as ethical hunters are trying to get rid of. Fuckin idiots.
My deepest regrets to the families.

rustoffa
11-22-2004, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by rustoffa
Bingo!!

AK-47!

Non-Bingo!
It was an SKS....either way,I'd expect there's alot more to this story.
Like moose said, gives the rest of us a bad name
This piece of shit needs to fry.
http://img100.exs.cx/img100/8356/in-hunter-suspect.jpg

Nickdfresh
11-22-2004, 11:57 AM
Non-Bingo!
It was an SKS....either way,I'd expect there's alot more to this story.
Like moose said, gives the rest of us a bad name
This piece of shit needs to fry.
http://img100.exs.cx/img100/8356/in-hunter-suspect.jpg

Basically, fuctionally the same weapon when semi-automatic.

rustoffa
11-22-2004, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh
Basically, fuctionally the same weapon when semi-automatic.

Oh, AK's are much nicer.
:D

Matt White
11-22-2004, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by FORD
Proof positive that many of those who kill for "sport" are in serious need of mental health evaluation.

A bit of a generalization, don't you think?
I would love to see the % of people who commit violent crimes that are "hunters".
Just remember, if it wasn't for people who hunt, the rest would be vegetarians.

Switch84
11-22-2004, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by Matt White

:eek: Now THAT'S a scary thought!

My condolences to the families, too.

FORD
11-22-2004, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by Matt White
A bit of a generalization, don't you think?
I would love to see the % of people who commit violent crimes that are "hunters".

There's a difference between hunting to feed your family, and killing for the sake of killing. If you're hunting deer with an assault rifle, purity of the meat probably isn't much of a concern.

lms2
11-22-2004, 05:20 PM
My condolences to the family as well.

It would seem this murder has more in common with a disgruntled postal worker than a hunter.

rustoffa
11-22-2004, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by lms2

It would seem this murder has more in common with a disgruntled postal worker than a hunter.

Bingo.

I don't trophy hunt, BTW.
There is a serious over-population around these parts and the ground variety makes the pot of Chili sublime.

The stupid fuckers like to do acrobatics into whatever you're driving to boot.
:gun:

Nickdfresh
11-22-2004, 10:32 PM
Bingo.

I don't trophy hunt, BTW.
There is a serious over-population around these parts and the ground variety makes the pot of Chili sublime.

The stupid fuckers like to do acrobatics into whatever you're driving to boot.
:gun:

That chili sounds really good!

Matt White
11-23-2004, 12:19 AM
Hmmmmm....seems to be more to the story.

"The magazine on his SKS 7.62 caliber rifle, a cheap but powerful semiautomatic weapon that's good for a distance shot, was already empty.

Ilean Her, director of the St. Paul-based Council on Asian Pacific Minnesotans, said she heard Monday from some people in the city's Hmong community who said they knew Vang, though not well.

"They said he loves to hunt," Her said. "He is a hunting zealot."

Meier said Vang was only on the wrong tree stand because he had become lost and wandered unknowingly onto private property. The county has thousands of acres of public hunting land.

In the past Minnesota officials have reported some clashes between Southeast Asian and white hunters, who complain the former refugees don't understand the concept of private property. Authorities said they had not determined whether that played a role in Sunday's shooting. "

"I don't know what's wrong with everything. It's pathetic. They let all these foreigners in here, and they walk all over everybody's property," said Jim Arneberg, the owner of the Haugen Inn in nearby Haugen.

"Minnesota state Sen. Mee Moua, one of two Hmong legislators there, rejected the idea that cultural differences played any role in the shooting.

"He's probably crazy," she said. "

Hmmmmm....maybe an immigrant desperate to feed his family? Maybe not a "gun nut". Maybe not so much difference between "hunting to feed your family" and "killing for the sake of killing"? Maybe, just a sick individual who happened to have a gun.
Because, if you hunt, you know that even if you are hunting for "food" there is still a "thrill" involved with killing an animal.

b1c2
11-23-2004, 11:56 AM
Two of the dead are family members of a dear friend of mine.

Fucking senseless.

Antman
11-23-2004, 10:51 PM
Make that 6 now.

ELVIS
11-24-2004, 03:27 AM
Originally posted by FORD
There's a difference between hunting to feed your family, and killing for the sake of killing.

Nothing in between ??

ODShowtime
11-24-2004, 08:54 AM
Now the perp is saying he was racially insulted and shot at first. Ok.

Nickdfresh
11-24-2004, 09:32 AM
Who the hell hunts deer with an old Russian SKS 7.62mm semi-auto military rifle? Should that even be legal? In NYS you have a use a shotgun with no more than three slugs in it I think.

b1c2
11-24-2004, 01:51 PM
It was a newer chinese version w/a modified 20 round clip- emptied, of course.

Interestingly, Vang is now being investigated in a similiar 2001 murder where a hunter was shot in the back near where this incidence occurred. Many of these 6, including my friend's 20 year old nephew, were shot in the back. 3 Hmong men, 5'4"-6", were seen in a grey late 80s model nissan or chevy truck. Vang is 5'4" and had a grey 89 nissan at the time, along w/a 2001 hunting license for the area.

Nickdfresh
11-24-2004, 02:11 PM
Sounds to me like this fucker wasn't hunting for deer at all!

b1c2
11-24-2004, 02:18 PM
He sounds like a freak. The cops have been to his house twice recently re:domestic violence- once for threatening his wife w/a handgun. Nothing came out of either one because his wife refused to prosecute. I also saw a quote from his "cultural" wife, which I guess is different from his "legal" wife. I wonder who the six kids belong to? Must be tough trying to feed six kids on a truckdriver's salary. Maybe he shouldn't have had that many then. Sounds like the Hmong should join up w/the FLDS.

DeadOrAlive
11-24-2004, 02:51 PM
Dang...

b1c2
11-24-2004, 03:11 PM
More info about the SKS-

The SKS has, actually, become quite a common deer-hunting rifle; the 7.62x39mm round used in the SKS (and AK-series) has about the same stopping power as the very common 30-30 cartridge, and is cheaper than dirt. And the SKS rifle, like most military rifles and unlike most hunting rifles, is breathtakingly reliable, very difficult to jam under sloppy, wet, muddy conditions, and a piece of cake to maintain.

BITEYOASS
11-24-2004, 03:31 PM
Here's a pic of the SKS rifle:

DeadOrAlive
11-25-2004, 01:52 AM
Wow... almost as beautiful as an AK-47...

Nickdfresh
11-25-2004, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by DeadOrAlive
Wow... almost as beautiful as an AK-47...

And just as effective, this was the pre-curser to the AK-47.

Nickdfresh
11-25-2004, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by b1c2
More info about the SKS-

The SKS has, actually, become quite a common deer-hunting rifle; the 7.62x39mm round used in the SKS (and AK-series) has about the same stopping power as the very common 30-30 cartridge, and is cheaper than dirt. And the SKS rifle, like most military rifles and unlike most hunting rifles, is breathtakingly reliable, very difficult to jam under sloppy, wet, muddy conditions, and a piece of cake to maintain.

I'm not used to that since hunters are only allowed to use shotguns (with plugs to limit capacity!) in New York State (with State Parks being an exception for rifles).

Matt White
11-26-2004, 10:59 AM
He sounds like a freak. The cops have been to his house twice recently re:domestic violence- once for threatening his wife w/a handgun. Nothing came out of either one because his wife refused to prosecute.

ENFORCE GUN LAWS ALREADY ON THE BOOKS.
Remember, GUNS don't Kill people---PEOPLE kill PEOPLE.

My sincere condolences to the families & loved ones of the victims.

aesop
11-26-2004, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by ODShowtime
Now the perp is saying he was racially insulted and shot at first. Ok.

We ought to wait until the facts come out, I think. I'm a lifetime NRA member, and I already know none of these people represent the NRA or gunowners in general.

b1c2
11-26-2004, 01:47 PM
None of what people? The dead or the accused?

And Matt White- I'm not sure if the "Guns don't kill people, people kill people" comment was directed at me or not but it seems to be since you quote me but I didn't mention anything about gun laws. He would still be a freak if he threatened his wife with a toaster while she was in the tub.

Matt White
11-26-2004, 01:58 PM

And Matt White- I'm not sure if the "Guns don't kill people, people kill people" comment was directed at me or not but it seems to be since you quote me but I didn't mention anything about gun laws. He would still be a freak if he threatened his wife with a toaster while she was in the tub.

b1c2, the "GUNs don't Kill people, People kill People" comment was not directed as a insulting or inflammatory statement. Rather, I completely agree with you that the guy is a Sick Freak, and ought to be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

b1c2
11-26-2004, 03:34 PM
Ok, I just don't want to be known as some gun control freak! Glad we're on the same page!