PDA

View Full Version : How many here play?

LookN4AMootBeat
11-25-2004, 11:33 AM
I"ve been to www.evh.com where alot of eddie fan guitarists seem to gather.

Who here in the Army plays guitar? Let's have a pow-wow.

I'm an old-school Eddie purist. I hate everything after 5150, and gave up on what I learned from 5150 to further pursue the old-school stuff. When other eddie fan-guitarist friends of mine were learning eddie's latest "licks" from the samhagar era and thinking they were cool i was thinking..."those idiots, that's not impressive, he already did the good stuff"

DLR7884
12-02-2004, 10:59 AM
**BUMP**

DLR7884
Figured I see if I could stir any interest for ya....

DrMaddVibe
12-02-2004, 11:38 AM
Bassist here, so CVH is pretty much an open E string. Ocassionally we get a surprise but let's face it...CVH is about DLR with EdWad playing guitar.

Snow Ho
12-02-2004, 01:01 PM
i play a little. i suck but never will the sounds of van hagar utter a note under my fingers!

Model Citizen
12-05-2004, 03:46 PM
Same here, Snow Ho.

VHII
12-11-2004, 05:08 PM
i love playing eddies old shit (the only stuff i play), its fun to play it because you could play almost anything and itll fit in good

Big Troubles
12-11-2004, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by LookN4AMootBeat
I"ve been to www.evh.com where alot of eddie fan guitarists seem to gather.

Who here in the Army plays guitar? Let's have a pow-wow.

I'm an old-school Eddie purist. I hate everything after 5150, and gave up on what I learned from 5150 to further pursue the old-school stuff. When other eddie fan-guitarist friends of mine were learning eddie's latest "licks" from the samhagar era and thinking they were cool i was thinking..."those idiots, that's not impressive, he already did the good stuff"

I play mostly Ed's old stuff, well I try to.... Most of it sounds good, but I like to turn the distortion up a little, turn the gain down...I get a clean sound still, but with kick ass blast. ;) Perfect example is ATBL. Easy intro right? Add distortion to it.... I like making the old VH sound a bit different. makes it sound fresh. Same with Unchained. I play it faster, with added Chorus. Give 'er a shot. Fuck a round a bit. :cool:

Best song to learn off 5150 is...5150. (Summer Nights is ok at best...)

Fabulous Shadow
12-11-2004, 08:08 PM
I play a couple of VH songs... Not great tho...

Big Troubles
12-11-2004, 08:09 PM
Jam with me? :D

Seshmeister
12-11-2004, 08:18 PM
I would guess that at least 80% of male hard rock fans have tried to be musicians at one point or another predominately with a guitar.

A lot seem to be keen for while when they find out how easy basic tapping is, then give up when they find out how hard everything else is and either play bass or stop.

The rest are drummers...:)

SheAintWaiting
12-11-2004, 08:56 PM
I play trombone, coronet, and accordion. So, if we ever do a big band/polka tribute, I'm in.

sAw

Big Troubles
12-11-2004, 09:00 PM
LOL

Big Troubles
12-11-2004, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by Seshmeister
I would guess that at least 80% of male hard rock fans have tried to be musicians at one point or another predominately with a guitar.

A lot seem to be keen for while when they find out how easy basic tapping is, then give up when they find out how hard everything else is and either play bass or stop.

:D Good point though. I enjoy playing and learning as I go, but Im not sure if I'll ever be good enough to write music or creatively play past the CVH stage of the game. It helps to keep things fresh too.. upgrade your amps, add some effects buy a Slammer like I just did. I know, cheap by most standards, but compared to what I was playing on... Sheesh.

MAX
12-11-2004, 09:44 PM
I can still play ATBL, RWTD, YRGM, DTNA, And the cradle will Rock, (Oh)Pretty Woman, Parts of Cathedral, Spanish Fly, and Eruption, 316, BOBW, Black and Blue and Crappo Wabo. :)

I don't really solo much anymore, I just "noodle." LOL!!!

I can still do the classic "Horsie" noise and his "elephant" though. I know a ton of Ed's tricks but I just don't have the time anymore.

ELVIS
12-11-2004, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by Seshmeister

Hahaha...:D

I'm back to playing daily, and I think, better than ever...

Sometimes to warm up, I will play along with Outta Love Again, but then it's on to my own material...

That song pumps me up when I jam to it cranked up...

Sometimes I play it as exact as I can, and other times I improvise over it...

Fun stuff...

:elvis:

lms2
12-12-2004, 12:45 AM
Ed don't play much anymore.

rustoffa
12-12-2004, 02:45 AM
I've got an old Danelectro piece of shit that works ok when plugged into my old Silvertone amp that's not a piece of shit.

Chords and nothing more...
The amp gets really loud..I kept trying to play this old "John Law" riff one night forever....

Later on I was like, "hey baby, I think I fucked my hearing up bigtime".

Fabulous Shadow
12-12-2004, 05:00 AM
Originally posted by Big Troubles
Jam with me? :D

:sex:

Big Troubles
12-12-2004, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by rustoffa
I've got an old Danelectro piece of shit that works ok when plugged into my old Silvertone amp that's not a piece of shit.

Chords and nothing more...
The amp gets really loud..I kept trying to play this old "John Law" riff one night forever....

Later on I was like, "hey baby, I think I fucked my hearing up bigtime".

:D John Law will do that. I need to upgrade my amp without spending too much. Anyone have a suggestion? I browsed at the Cube 60's on Ebay...

Big Troubles
12-12-2004, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by Fabulous Shadow
:sex:

;) That's not jammin', that's jellin'. Either way... I'll take it! sex first, music last....

rustoffa
12-14-2004, 07:48 PM
:D John Law will do that. I need to upgrade my amp without spending too much. Anyone have a suggestion? I browsed at the Cube 60's on Ebay...

Go to the Harmony Central forums...lotsa info on there.

LookN4AMootBeat
12-14-2004, 10:04 PM
LOL wow, I thought no one would bother with this thread, thanks alot guys ;)

CVH is the only way to go! Nothin's better than tuning down to D, crankin up the marshall and rippin the opening of "Unchained" like ur onstage at the stadium!

Matt White
12-15-2004, 12:09 AM
I play, and I got some VH in me. Still dig playin' UNCHAINED & DROP DEAD LEGS. My favorite to play is HOUSE OF PAIN.

The 6-PACK STILL FUCKING RULES!!!

LookN4AMootBeat
12-15-2004, 08:12 AM
I play mostly Ed's old stuff, well I try to.... Most of it sounds good, but I like to turn the distortion up a little, turn the gain down...I get a clean sound still, but with kick ass blast. ;) Perfect example is ATBL. Easy intro right? Add distortion to it.... I like making the old VH sound a bit different. makes it sound fresh. Same with Unchained. I play it faster, with added Chorus. Give 'er a shot. Fuck a round a bit. :cool:

Best song to learn off 5150 is...5150. (Summer Nights is ok at best...)

Ya, 5150 is the most interesting riff....summer nights tho......ugh (a bit sheepy hehe) Get Up! was my fav off that album.......very hard to cop it without that special guitar he had i forget what it was called....the funky tremolo guitar.
OU812 was the hagar era album that really turned me off to the newer eddie stuff........that's when I knew things would never be the same........when a shit song like Black n Blue could be their first release and get constant non-stop fucking torturous hellish air-play. Don't know how far it went on the charts but man......that was my first realization that the music industry cramms shit down people's throats and brainwashes them into thinking a shit song can be number 1.......truly they treat the public like sheep.
Classic Van Halen was the last, best hard rock there ever will be. They defined 80's rock, all other rock in the 80's and even into some of the 90's were attempts at copying Dave and the crew. They were ALL Dave wanna-be's!

Big Troubles
12-18-2004, 07:33 AM
Uh oh... I like the opening to Black n Blue...I dont like the song per say, but I like playing the intro. But yeah, Ed's guitar seemed mashed or distorted from OU812 and on...

Big Troubles
12-18-2004, 07:33 AM
Originally posted by rustoffa
Go to the Harmony Central forums...lotsa info on there.

thanks I'll check that out. (That and my local Music City) ;)

Big Troubles
12-18-2004, 07:38 AM
Harmony Central helped alot. Thanks Rustoffa!

DeadOrAlive
12-20-2004, 10:36 PM
I can play almost any CVH... but i am still trying to learn the solo in PCTS...

TwoFoolsAMinute
12-25-2004, 11:37 PM
I play and I suck...nuff said.