PDA

View Full Version : Annan's Son Took Payments Through 2004

lucky wilbury
11-26-2004, 03:56 PM
http://www.nysun.com/article/5372

Annan's Son Took Payments Through 2004
BY CLAUDIA ROSETT - Special to the Sun
November 26, 2004

One of the next big chapters in the United Nations oil-for-food scandal will involve the family of the secretary-general, Kofi Annan, whose son turns out to have been receiving payments as recently as early this year from a key contractor in the oil-for-food program.

The secretary-general's son, Kojo Annan, was previously reported to have worked for a Swiss-based company called Cotecna Inspection Services SA, which from 1998-2003 held a lucrative contract with the U.N. to monitor goods arriving in Saddam Hussein's Iraq under the oil-for-food program. But investigators are now looking into new information suggesting that the younger Annan received far more money over a much longer period, even after his compensation from Cotecna had reportedly ended.

The importance of this story involves not only undisclosed conflicts of interest, but the question of the role of the secretary-general himself, at a time when talk is starting to be heard around the U.N. that it is time for him to resign, and the staff labor union is in open rebellion against "senior management."

"What other bombshells are out there being hidden from the public and U.N. member governments?" asked an investigator on Rep. Henry Hyde's International Relations Committee, which has held hearings on oil-for-food.

The younger Annan stopped working for Cotecna in late 1998, but it now turns out that he continued to receive money from Cotecna not only through 1999, as recently reported, but right up until February of this year. The timing coincides with the entire duration of Cotecna's work for the U.N. oil-for-food program. It now appears the payments to the younger Annan ended three months after the U.N., in November, 2003, closed out its role in oil-for-food and handed over the remains of the program to the Coalition Provisional Authority in Baghdad.

This latest bombshell involving the secretary-general's son was confirmed Wednesday by Kofi Annan's spokesman, Fred Eckhard, in response to this reporter's query, based on information obtained elsewhere. In an email, Mr. Eckhard wrote: "I was able to reach Kojo's lawyer this morning. He confirms that Kojo Annan received payments from Cotecna as recently as February 2004. The lawyer said that these payments were part of a standard non-competition agreement, under which the decision as to whether to continue the payments or not was up to Cotecna."

Mr. Eckhard added that, according to Kojo Annan's lawyer, the information has "been reported" to the U.N.-authorized inquiry into oil-for-food, led by a former Federal Reserve chairman, Paul Volcker.

Labeled as compensation for Kojo Annan's agreeing not to compete with Cotecna's business in West Africa, the post-employment payments were in the amount of $2,500 per month, according to another source with access to the documents. If the payments were continuous over the slightly more than five-year period involved, that would have totaled more than $150,000.

Cotecna officials, who this past April received a gag letter from the U.N. Secretariat, did not respond to queries from The New York Sun about why the company continued its non-competition payments to Kojo Annan for more than five years, instead of the one year previously reported. Neither did the company answer a question about why the payments apparently stopped this past February - just after the oil-for-food scandal erupted into the headlines following allegations in a Baghdad newspaper that the program was massively corrupt. Cotecna earlier this year denied any wrongdoing, saying that Kojo Annan's portfolio involved West Africa, not the U.N. or Iraq. Kojo Annan's lawyer at the London-based firm Schillings said the younger Annan is cooperating with the Volcker inquiry, but would not comment to the press on his payments from Cotecna.

The question now is whether Mr. Volcker, whose investigative brief includes not only criminal acts such as graft, but also U.N. maladministration under oil-for-food, will look closely at the evasions and contradictions that have come from the secretary-general himself regarding the money received by his son from Cotecna.

The pattern in this scandal has been that Secretary-General Annan, until confronted by the press, has either failed to spot or failed to disclose timely information about Cotecna's paychecks for his son. The first bout came back in early 1999, two years into Kofi Annan's watch as secretary-general. Cotecna had just won the U.N. oil-for-food contract, replacing a British firm, Lloyd's Register. News broke January 24, 1999, in the Sunday Telegraph, that Kojo Annan had worked for Cotecna. The U.N. produced an internal report, shown this year to the New York Times, but never publicly released, which found no wrongdoing, but evidently failed to note that Kojo Annan was still receiving payments from Cotecna.

About that same time, in February 1999, a U.N. spokesman, John Mills, told the press that Secretary-General Annan had had no knowledge of Cotecna being hired by the U.N., that Cotecna's bid for the job was the lowest "by a significant margin," and that, "This contract was treated at every stage as a routine commercial matter and in line with the rules and regulations of the United Nations" - a statement later contradicted by one of the U.N.'s own secret internal audits, which leaked this past spring.

In March of this year, with the U.N. oil-for-food scandal by then on the boil, the U.N. was questioned again by the press about Kojo Annan's relations with Cotecna. The answer at that stage from the secretary-general's office was that the younger Annan had worked on Cotecna's staff from December 1995 through February 1998, and a few weeks later became a consultant for Cotecna, resigning in early December of 1998, about three weeks before Cotecna won the U.N. contract. This was offered by Secretary-General Annan's office as evidence that the younger Annan had severed his ties with Cotecna before the company got the U.N. job. A source familiar with the documents now says that Kojo's consultancy with Cotecna expired the same day the company got the U.N. contract, December 31, 1998.

Outside investigations in recent months have added to the timeline, raising yet more questions. In September of this year, The Wall Street Journal reported that even after Kojo Annan's Cotecna consultancy ended in 1998,he continued to receive payments from Cotecna through the end of 1999, as well as having use over that same period of a company credit card. This report is confirmed by a letter, seen by this reporter, written January 11, 1999, by Cotecna CEO Robert Massey, beginning "Dear Mr. Annan" and outlining the terms of a $2,500 per month "compensatory indemnity" in return for Kojo Annan's agreement to "refrain from any similar consultancy or employment."

Now comes this latest information that Kojo Annan continued to receive payments until February 26 of this year - more than five years longer than the U.N. initially implied, four years longer than the U.N. confirmed to the press this September, and for the entire duration of Cotecna's U.N. oil-for-food contracts.

So far, the secretary-general has refused requests from Congress for inter views with U.N. staff, or access to the U.N.'s 55 internal audits of the oil-for food program. One of those internal audits, which leaked this past May, noted serious irregularities with the U.N.'s handling of the Cotecna contract, including an "inappropriate" upward revision of Cotecna's lowball $4.87 million bid, just four days after Cotecna and the U.N. signed the deal.

At every turn, the saga of the secretary-general's family ties to Cotecna raises questions about Kofi Annan's handling of potential conflicts of interest. Even if Mr. Annan cannot be held

responsible for the decisions of his son, his job does entail responsibility for the actions of the U.N. Secretariat. As the oil-for-food scandal has unfolded, it has become clear that U.N. secrecy and lack of accountability evolved, in effect, into complicity with Saddam's scams and influence-buying. By now, between congressional and other investigations, there are allegations that Saddam, on Mr. Annan's watch, under U.N. sanctions and oil-for-food supervision, scammed and smuggled some $17.3 billion in oil money meant for relief, using some of that money to fund terrorism, import weapons, and buy influence with Security Council members France, Russia, and China.

On top of that, only now is it learned that for fully more than eight years, from 1995-2004, the secretary-general's son was in one way or another on the payroll of Cotecna, which for almost five of those years held a crucial oil-for-food inspection contract with the U.N. Secretariat. All this, said the investigator for Mr. Hyde's congressional committee, is good reason why "the U.N. Secretariat should move swiftly to lift the gag order on U.N. employees and contractors and publicly release its oil-for-food program files."

John Ashcroft
11-26-2004, 06:37 PM
Hey Lucky, this isn't about Halliburton! Cut it out!

ELVIS
11-26-2004, 06:45 PM
No, It's about the truth!

I posted stories about the fraud in the oil for food program over two years ago, and idiot FORD tried to explain them away with BCE crap...

I'm glad they're uncovering this stuff...

I hope Kofi Annan and his son get a nice comfortable cell right next to Saddam...

:elvis:

Switch84
11-27-2004, 12:37 AM
Originally posted by ELVIS
No, It's about the truth!

I posted stories about the fraud in the oil for food program over two years ago, and idiot FORD tried to explain them away with BCE crap...

I'm glad they're uncovering this stuff...

I hope Kofi Annan and his son get a nice comfortable cell right next to Saddam...

:elvis:

They'll probably share the same cell as Noriega. Good riddance to these scandalous assholes. It's about time someone grew a pair in this investigation.

DEMON CUNT
11-27-2004, 12:40 AM
Like the payments that Cheney takes from Halliburton?

Our tax dollars go to Halliburton then to Cheney. Classic scheme!

DIE FOR OIL, BITCH!

John Ashcroft
11-27-2004, 10:05 AM
Did I call it or what fellas?

It always comes back to Halliburton.

Nickdfresh
11-27-2004, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by John Ashcroft
Did I call it or what fellas?

It always comes back to Halliburton.

Gee, I wonder why that would be?:confused:

Viking
11-27-2004, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh:

Gee, I wonder why that would be?:confused:

Because you liberals can't discern fact from fantasy, and have zero imagination what it comes to cooking up a good conspiracy to soothe your leftist angst. :rolleyes: Why don't you try to start a good conspiracy, like Walmart is secretly running the country, or aliens from Alpha Centauri are secretly giving Bush his marching orders, or some other shit? Hey, I know - dig up the old 'The Bushes are actually a species of alien Reptillians' shtick. That's always good for a laugh, in the 'Let's-watch-the-Special-Olympics-for-perverse-amusement' kind of way. This Haliburton nonsense - and it IS nonsense - is so old, even the mold on it is dead. Give it a rest, will ya? :D

Nickdfresh
11-27-2004, 08:24 PM
Absolutely! Why should a sitting vice President who has invested heavily in a military supply and logistics company have to defend himself against these base and groundless accusations? I mean there is absolutely no conflict of interests there right? BULLSHIT!

You guys are such a bunch of hypocrites. If the shoe were on the foot, you'd be singing for Gore's crucifixion! Anyone for a "Clinton shot down the plane full of generals to prevent his being arrested thread?"

Dick Cheney beating the drums for war against Iraq for his personal gain is far more likely! When Donny Rumsfeld and his Neocon pal Tricky Dick Cheney go into the White House to brainwash Dubya by advocating for the bombing of Iraq in retaliation for 9/11 even though there is no evidence linking the two, and everyone else knew it was al-Qaida that did it! When this Adminstration continually wags the dog by always implicitly linking Iraq to al-Qaida in their "big-brother speak," and only recanting and admitting the truth under scrutiny, Why would anyone possibly believe they purposely focused on attacking Iraq for economic gain? Hmmmmmm.....

John Ashcroft
11-27-2004, 08:30 PM
Forgetting one simple fact Nick, Cheney sold all of his interests in Halliburton prior to taking office.

Nickdfresh
11-27-2004, 08:51 PM
Forgetting one simple fact Nick, Cheney sold all of his interests in Halliburton prior to taking office.

And continued to collect performance bonuses in his severance.

John Ashcroft
11-27-2004, 09:45 PM
So what you're saying is that no successful U.S. businessman need apply for the job of Commander in Chief or V.P.?

Interesting thought, but 180 degrees out of phase with what our framers intended.

What would you prefer? A life-long government employee as President? Someone who's never been successful in the "real world"? Perhaps you can find such a person in the Post Office...

Yep, pick the overpaid older guy with the earring and mullet working the stamp counter. He'd make a fine CINC...

Switch84
11-28-2004, 01:34 AM
Yep, pick the overpaid older guy with the earring and mullet working the stamp counter. He'd make a fine CINC...

:D Dude, you've just described my mailman! How did you KNOW???

A life-long government stooge is NOT what I'd want for President. Then again, I wouldn't want a Kenneth Lay for Commander-in-Chief, either.

What the fuck? DAVID LEE ROTH FOR PRESIDENT!

LMAOBT

Nickdfresh
11-28-2004, 05:52 AM
Originally posted by Switch84
:D Dude, you've just described my mailman! How did you KNOW???

A life-long government stooge is NOT what I'd want for President. Then again, I wouldn't want a Kenneth Lay for Commander-in-Chief, either.

What the fuck? DAVID LEE ROTH FOR PRESIDENT!

LMAOBT

Why not?:( I sure look the part and have ties to big oil and even Dubya used to love me.:(

ELVIS
11-28-2004, 07:34 AM
Dude, you have issues...

Warham
11-28-2004, 07:59 AM
Halliburton...

::yawn::

Nickdfresh
11-28-2004, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by ELVIS
Dude, you have issues...

Isn't that why we are here?;)

Nickdfresh
11-28-2004, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by Warham
Halliburton...

::yawn::

"Evil U.N."--Yawn....

Warham
11-28-2004, 01:20 PM
I never said the UN was evil. I just said they will help usher in the New World Order!

Get with it man!

lucky wilbury
11-28-2004, 01:24 PM
actually cheney's deal with halliburton IS NOT tied to the companies performance. he has a guaranteed deal. meaning no matter how the company does he gets a fixed amount of money. if they go bankrupt they owe him the money. if they make a trillion dollars he gets the same amount. even then the money goes into a blind trust while he's vp

John Ashcroft
11-28-2004, 08:03 PM
Facts again Lucky???

What's with you anyway! :D

ELVIS
11-29-2004, 12:06 AM
Don't confuse these freaks with facts...

lucky wilbury
11-29-2004, 01:26 AM
heres something on it for everybody as well:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/Iraq/Story/0,2763,912515,00.html

Cheney is still paid by Pentagon contractor

Bush deputy gets up to $1m from firm with Iraq oil deal

Robert Bryce in Austin, Texas and Julian Borger in Washington
Wednesday March 12, 2003
The Guardian

Halliburton, the Texas company which has been awarded the Pentagon's contract to put out potential oil-field fires in Iraq and which is bidding for postwar construction contracts, is still making annual payments to its former chief executive, the vice-president Dick Cheney.

The payments, which appear on Mr Cheney's 2001 financial disclosure statement, are in the form of "deferred compensation" of up to $1m (£600,000) a year.

When he left Halliburton in 2000 to become George Bush's running mate, he opted not to receive his leaving payment in a lump sum but instead have it paid to him over five years, possibly for tax reasons.

An aide to the vice president said yesterday: "This is money that Mr Cheney was owed by the corporation as part of his salary for the time he was employed by Halliburton and which was a fixed amount paid to him over time."

The aide said the payment was even insured so that it would not be affected even if Halliburton went bankrupt, to ensure there was no conflict of interest.

"Also, the vice president has nothing whatsoever to do with the Pentagon bidding process," the aide added.

The company would not say how much the payments are. The obligatory disclosure statement filled by all top government officials says only that they are in the range of $100,000 and $1m. Nor is it clear how they are calculated.

Halliburton is one of five large US corporations - the others are the Bechtel Group, Fluor Corp, Parsons Corp, and the Louis Berger Group - invited to bid for contracts in what may turn out to be the biggest reconstruction project since the second world war.

It is estimated to be worth up to $900m for the preliminary work alone, such as rebuilding Iraq's hospitals, ports, airports and schools.

The contract winners will be able to establish a presence in post-Saddam Iraq that should give them an invaluable edge in winning future contracts.

The defence department contract awarded to the Halliburton subsidiary, Kellog, Brown & Root (KBR), to control oil fires if Saddam Hussein sets the well heads alight, will put the company in an excellent position to bid for huge contracts when Iraq's oil industry is rehabilitated.

KBR has already benefited considerably from the "war on terror". It has so far been awarded contracts worth nearly $33m to build the detention camp at Guantanamo Bay in Cuba for al-Qaida suspects.

Asked whether the payments to Mr Cheney represented a conflict of interest, Halliburton's spokeswoman, Wendy Hall, said: "We have been working as a government contractor since the 1940s. Since this time, KBR has become the premier provider of logistics and support services to all branches of the military."

In the five years Mr Cheney was at the helm, Halliburton nearly doubled the amount of business it did with the government to $2.3bn. The company also more than doubled its political contributions to $1.2m, overwhelmingly to Republican candidates.

Mr Cheney sold most of his Halliburton shares when he left the company, but retained stock options worth about $8m. He arranged to pay any profits to charity.

Big Train
11-29-2004, 03:10 AM
Thanks Lucky...facts are SO refreshing. Halliburton wouldn't be such a dead horse if someone actually had a fucking fact to back up ANY statement they made. I appreciate you cutting through it.

Back to the subject at hand, Kofi's boy. Man that is one rock that is gonna be ugly once's it's kicked over. We gave Europe every chance to get in line and they opted not to. It's now obvious why. However, by trying to paint us in a bad light, they set themselves up for this to be a much bigger black mark for them. I hope (if they US press can get out of the liberals asses for a second and yes, praise the conservative side for exposing this issue-which I doubt, they hate giving the grown ups any credit) that this is given the proper "scandal" treatment and some foreign heads roll.

Nickdfresh
11-29-2004, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by lucky wilbury
actually cheney's deal with halliburton IS NOT tied to the companies performance. he has a guaranteed deal. meaning no matter how the company does he gets a fixed amount of money. if they go bankrupt they owe him the money. if they make a trillion dollars he gets the same amount. even then the money goes into a blind trust while he's vp

Ohhh no!! How could I possibly imply that there might be an old boy network going on behind the scenes! I suppose Uncle Dick has absolutely noooo tie to Halliburtan, I bet he won't even go back to the company after his VP stint is over.

Quit frankly, this will always stink like Halliburtan shit despite the technicalities of Cheney's not actually being CEO while he's VP.

ODShowtime
11-29-2004, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by Big Train
facts are SO refreshing. Halliburton wouldn't be such a dead horse if someone actually had a fucking fact to back up ANY statement they made.

So I guess the millions of dollars in missing funds in Iraq and the shareholder-induced class-action lawsuit for accounting fraud were both just figments of my imagination. And they certainly couldn't be connected. Nope! Nobody here but crazy liberals! :rolleyes:

Big Train
11-29-2004, 12:42 PM
UNTIL someone can show me actual fuckin proof that he benefitted from ANY of this, which NOBODY has been able to prove. If you could, I'd be the first in line to say off with his head. But after years of going round and round, nobody at any level and with any amount of resources has been able to prove shit.

Your right, nobody thinking here but you crazy liberals...

I take it we aren't gonna talk about Kofi's boy..

lucky wilbury
11-29-2004, 01:08 PM
from the article that was posted:

Asked whether the payments to Mr Cheney represented a conflict of interest, Halliburton's spokeswoman, Wendy Hall, said: "We have been working as a government contractor since the 1940s. Since this time, KBR has become the premier provider of logistics and support services to all branches of the military."

Wayne L.
11-29-2004, 01:20 PM
Kojo Annan SHOULD be put in jail along with his corrupt father Kofi because both of them are crooks just like most of the foreign leaders representing foreign countries in the U. N.

diamondD
11-29-2004, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by ODShowtime
So I guess the millions of dollars in missing funds in Iraq and the shareholder-induced class-action lawsuit for accounting fraud were both just figments of my imagination. And they certainly couldn't be connected. Nope! Nobody here but crazy liberals! :rolleyes:

The thing is, can you honestly connect any of that to Cheney? Can you prove that he's received one dime more because of any of this besides his already agreed upon salary?

If you can, I'd be willing to listen. If you can't, you're grasping at straws.

ODShowtime
11-29-2004, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by diamondD
The thing is, can you honestly connect any of that to Cheney? Can you prove that he's received one dime more because of any of this besides his already agreed upon salary?

If you can, I'd be willing to listen. If you can't, you're grasping at straws.

I'm not grasping at straws because I honestly don't care anymore. Any facts that could tie Cheney to Halliburton recently won't be laid out in the New York Times for us to read about. They'll be covered up like so many other dealings in this admin. They've proven the lengths they'll go through to keep things secret.

This UN Oil for Food scandal is interesting. It shows some of the motives for why France, Russia and others didn't follow along with us for the Iraq war the way we wanted (I thought preventing 1000s of deaths was enough but I guess not). As usual it was money. No big surprise there.

Is anyone surprised that people working with Saddam were corrupted with bribes? Who set up the system in which it was that easy for Saddam's bribes to corrupt the system? It's a joke. At the very least a rotating oversight committee should have been installed. Not Kofi Annan's son! Ridiculous!

Big Train
11-29-2004, 05:54 PM
Yes he is grasping at straws.

No, I guess we won't talk about the ACTUAL issue, Kofi's boy.....what a fun, informative thread.

Big Train
11-29-2004, 07:35 PM
I can't believe FUCKIN NOBODY wants to talk about this actual, very current and VERY relevant article.

You libs who say the war is for nothing, have NOTHING to say about this?

Conservatives, are you not OUTRAGED (in my best Jesse Jackson voice..)!!!!???!???

Warham
11-29-2004, 10:09 PM
Yeah, I'm outraged.

I'm all for disbanding the UN entirely, but it won't happen.

I hope that that initiative that some members of Congress are proposing gets farther along. It will cut off all US funding (which is about a billion dollars a year) to the UN until they straighten out their act.

I'd still be in favor of disbanding it entirely.

Like the guys on FOX said this morning...when you've got some dictator of a third world country as the head of a human rights council there's a problem.

Nickdfresh
11-30-2004, 01:53 AM

No, I guess we won't talk about the ACTUAL issue, Kofi's boy.....what a fun, informative thread.

The UN isn't getting our kids killed in Iraq! But you guys act as if that is the case! It's a non-issue!

lucky wilbury
11-30-2004, 02:08 AM
if the un did its job effectivly saddam would have been gone because the entire world would have taken him out but as it turns out now most of the world was bought off by him

Pink Spider
11-30-2004, 02:12 AM
I thought conservatives don't want the UN to do their job or so I hear.
3 posts up...disband the UN. I guess I heard right.

lucky wilbury
11-30-2004, 02:18 AM
the un hasen't done their jobs thats the point. rawanda,sudan,kosovo afghanistahn oil-food,iraq, the congo and on and on. when was the last time the un actually did something? if the un were a person that had a job to do they would have been fired years ago

Pink Spider
11-30-2004, 02:25 AM
So, your in favor of the UN being a strong organization in charge of everything, capable of a strong military presence over the world? A "world order" so to speak? ;) As long as they do things, they're OK?

lucky wilbury
11-30-2004, 02:29 AM
no. if there is to be a un they should live up to its charter and act on its word and not be some dumping ground for bullshit that will never be solved. i quote my sig:

"Order, order! Do you kids wanna be like the real U.N., or do you just wanna squabble and waste time? "Principle Skinner

oh the "ironicy" in that statement :D

Big Train
12-01-2004, 03:14 AM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh
The UN isn't getting our kids killed in Iraq! But you guys act as if that is the case! It's a non-issue!

So your gonna put your head in the sand for the sake of bashing Bush now? C, mon Nick, your in intel, you know better!!

Your gonna tell me that the oil-for-food fiasco Kofi has kept in place for 12 years, which allowed Mideast instability to reach a fever pitch while he busted checks to look the other way didn't contribute to the current mess we are in? The "hearts and minds" we are supposed to win back now, Kofi directly profited from their suffering, which allowed "fanaticism" to fester in the first place.

ODShowtime
12-01-2004, 09:33 AM

This UN Oil for Food scandal is interesting. It shows some of the motives for why France, Russia and others didn't follow along with us for the Iraq war the way we wanted (I thought preventing 1000s of deaths was enough but I guess not). As usual it was money. No big surprise there.

Is anyone surprised that people working with Saddam were corrupted with bribes? Who set up the system in which it was that easy for Saddam's bribes to corrupt the system? It's a joke. At the very least a rotating oversight committee should have been installed. Not Kofi Annan's son! Ridiculous!

WTF?:confused:

Vivian Campbell
12-01-2004, 09:50 AM

What would you prefer? A life-long government employee as President? Someone who's never been successful in the "real world"?

He's ready to serve!

http://www.transweb.org/webcast/familypledge99/photos/damaged/kennedy_podium.jpg

http://www.glennbeck.com/leadstories/09-19-03/09-19-03.jpg

Nickdfresh
12-01-2004, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by lucky wilbury
the un hasen't done their jobs thats the point. rawanda,sudan,kosovo afghanistahn oil-food,iraq, the congo and on and on. when was the last time the un actually did something? if the un were a person that had a job to do they would have been fired years ago

The UN does what the member nations let it do. Those countries were left high and dry because the UN is essentially powerless when no one steps forward to take the lead. How many army divisions did the UN "have" to deploy to Rwanda? What were they supposed to do exactly? The UN lacked power because North America and Europe lacked the spine to become involved early enough (mainly due to the Somali debacle). Yet people here want to make it even more powerless by basically complaining that the UN is not an arm of US foreign policy which is the real issue here. People want to believe the UN must exist merely for US political purposes, or it should be disbanded.

When the UN does wrong, Fine! Throw Kofi out and charge the guys who were sexually abusing young girls (in the Congo I think which was in an article I posted about a week ago). But don't throw the baby out with the bath water.

Big Train
12-01-2004, 01:26 PM
OD,

I apologize. That was one of those weird things where my post was probably being typed at the same time yours was, yet showed up after you (you hit go before me). I felt your Haillburton logic was grasping at straws and found it frustrating we weren't talking about the decade of suffering Kofi caused.

ODShowtime
12-01-2004, 02:16 PM
OD,

I apologize. That was one of those weird things where my post was probably being typed at the same time yours was, yet showed up after you (you hit go before me). I felt your Haillburton logic was grasping at straws and found it frustrating we weren't talking about the decade of suffering Kofi caused.

That's cool Train.

I will re-evaluate my positions when new info comes to light. It seems (and should have been obvious) that Saddam used the system to for systematic bribes. This affected the outcome of everything from UN Security Council votes to headlines of major European newspapers.

The question is: who set up a system that could be so easily corrupted? Why was it never audited? You can't get too mad at the wolf when he eats the steak you put in front of him...

Big Train
12-01-2004, 02:26 PM

The question is: who set up a system that could be so easily corrupted? Why was it never audited? You can't get too mad at the wolf when he eats the steak you put in front of him...

I heard that was the closing argument in the Michael Jackson case.....

The UN is a world body and the world body never audited itself as most of it's members were/are on the take. For a heartless conservative, it actually does piss me off that those people suffered for so long for a tool like Kofi.

ODShowtime
12-01-2004, 02:57 PM
I heard that was the closing argument in the Michael Jackson case.....

oh my god you actually made a joke! and it was decent!:D

Nickdfresh
12-01-2004, 06:45 PM
Update:

U.S. senator wants Annan to resign as U.N. leader
Coleman looking into alleged fraud in oil-for-food program run by U.N.
Wednesday, December 1, 2004 Posted: 3:46 PM EST (2046 GMT)

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- The U.S. senator leading the investigation into allegations of corruption and mismanagement in the Iraq oil-for-food program is urging U.N. Secretary-General Kofi Annan to resign, saying the "massive scope of this debacle demands nothing less."

Annan declined to comment on the call, made by Sen. Norm Coleman, R-Minnesota, in an opinion piece in Wednesday's Wall Street Journal.

"The decision to call for Mr. Annan's resignation does not come easily," Coleman wrote. "But I have arrived at this conclusion because the most extensive fraud in the history of the U.N. occurred on his watch.

"The world will never be able to learn the full extent of the bribes, kickbacks and under-the-table payments that occurred under the U.N.'s collective nose while Annan is in charge."

Coleman is chairman of the Senate Permanent Subcommittee on Investigations, which has been investigating the oil-for-food program for seven months.

Coleman said he was not accusing Kofi Annan of anything "other than incompetence and mismanagement."

The program, administered by the United Nations, was designed to allow Iraq, when it was under economic sanctions after the Persian Gulf War, to sell oil and use the proceeds to buy food and medicine to mitigate the sanctions' impact on the Iraqi people.

Coleman said the investigation cannot be completed with Annan at the helm of the world body.

"The bottom line is, one man was in charge and if we're going to get to the bottom of this, he's got to step back so that we can have trust and credibility and transparency in sorting out what happened," he said Wednesday in an interview on CNN's "American Morning."

Coleman's committee has charged that Saddam Hussein was able to siphon off $6.7 billion in oil revenues from the program and made an additional $13.7 billion smuggling oil in contravention of international sanctions.

Annan has appointed former Federal Reserve Chairman Paul Volcker to conduct an internal investigation into the allegations. But Coleman, while calling Volcker a "good and honest man," said that the United Nations "simply cannot root out its own corruption while Mr. Annan is in charge."

"If we're to get to the bottom of this, if there's to be any credibility, the person that was at the helm during the course of this thing cannot be the guy that Paul Volcker reports to, cannot be the guy that we go asking for help and assistance in getting the people we need to talk to," Coleman told CNN. "He needs to step back, step down for the credibility of the organization itself."

Annan's son, Kojo, received money for consulting work done in Africa for the Swiss firm Cotecna, which inspected goods entering Iraq under the oil-for-food program. On Monday, the secretary-general said he was disappointed to learn in news reports that his son remained on the Cotecna payroll until earlier this year, despite earlier U.N. statements that he had stopped receiving money from the firm back in 1998.

No formal charges of wrongdoing have been made against Kojo Annan by any of at least six separate investigations under way into the oil-for-food program. But his father conceded Monday that the latest news creates the perception "of conflict of interests and wrongdoing" at the United Nations.

Kofi Annan also said he had no personal involvement in the granting of contracts to companies that participated in the oil-for-food program.

Sen. Norm Coleman, left, is calling for U.N. Secretary General Kofi Annan to resign.

ODShowtime
12-01-2004, 07:47 PM
Coleman said he was not accusing Kofi Annan of anything "other than incompetence and mismanagement."

Yes I love it! We need some more in depth info into what was going on. Any suggestions on sources?

Big Train
12-01-2004, 07:49 PM
Obviously, follow the money trail.

ODShowtime
12-01-2004, 07:59 PM
Obviously, follow the money trail.

Well I was thinking Wall Street Journal might have a cool article at some point.

Nickdfresh
12-01-2004, 08:10 PM
I believe Kofi's son was working for a Swiss company when the said infractions took place.

ODShowtime
12-01-2004, 08:24 PM
I always knew it was the Swiss

BigBadBrian
12-02-2004, 08:01 AM
Kofi Annan should be fired. He's in his second term anyway. :gulp: