PDA

View Full Version : Great GHII review on Amazon

aesop
11-27-2004, 11:07 PM
Thought this one pretty much hit the nail...

I only bought this for the Sammy stuff...., October 30, 2004
Reviewer: mike crawley "actually my real name but i'm don't give out my credit card number" (flushing mi.) - See all my reviews

...because I already own the six albums with David Lee Roth on vocals. I have always been of the opinion that Van Halen threw away their greatness when Dave left/got fired from the band. Although the warning signs were on the wall with 1984, with 5150 and Sammy's induction into the band Van (Hagar) became a hack corporate rock band; no different than say Journey or Foreigner. Although Sammy wasn't totally to blame, it was a path he had taken in his solo career long before that and alot of the Van (Hagar) songs sounded more like Sammy solo releases with a guest appearance from the greatest guitarist alive. It was a pity and I weep for Eddie, Alex and Michael's poor judgement.

However, although they had a few good songs left in them, I quit buying the Van (Hagar) albums after OU812. Since those purchases were on cassette I figured I would buy this and put together a decent one disc Sammy compilation. Mission accomplished (although I would have liked Human's Being and Summer Nights to be on there too)

As for the 2 disc set itself and it's relative merits or demerits....

The fact that they chose to treat Dave the way they did (probably with smiles on their faces and giving each other high fives) is sad, a testament to their lack of character.

The fact that they chose to mix up the running order ruining any sense of flow, pitting Sammy against Dave (where Sammy comes up on the short end nearly every time) is a testament to their lack of intelligence.

The fact that they chose to add three live versions of Dave songs sung by Sammy that WERE ALREADY PRESENT IN THEIR ORIGINAL VERSIONS is a testament to the contempt that they must surely hold for their audience.

The fact that the new songs are kinda suck is a testament to the fact that they too, like Dave, are has beens and should've quit while the last vestiges of their reputations were intact.

Lastly, the fact that there are no Van (Cherrone) songs are included is a testament to .... I don't know what?.... how about the fact that it was a period better to be forgotten.

In closing I think Messrs. Van Halen, Van Halen, Anthony and Hagar owe us one huge apology. They should pay out of their own pockets to have this album recalled and replaced (in the same excellent packaging) with one that has a chronological running order, the live songs replaced with the Sammy songs I mentioned earlier and the new songs erased from our memory. They also should allow Dave equal space in the liner notes to tell his (admittedly equally pithy) side of the story.

Oh by the way, in no instance should Eruption be seperated from You Really Got Me ever again (unless Dave Davies tries to give Eruption a go).

Thank You for letting me get this off my chest.

No Thank You!

RogueHorseman
11-28-2004, 02:08 AM
Can't argue with much there.

The release was a huge insult to any fan of CVH, no two ways about it.

I say we tar and feather the mutherf*ckers.

diamondsgirl
11-28-2004, 09:57 AM
sounds like a plan, Rogue.

RogueHorseman
11-28-2004, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by diamondsgirl
sounds like a plan, Rogue.

I'll run by Home Depot<sup>TM</sup> and grab a couple cans of tar... can you cover the feathers?

diamondsgirl
11-29-2004, 11:45 AM
Sure. :D

ULTRAMAN VH
11-29-2004, 01:51 PM
I agree, when Sham came on board, VH quickly joined Styx, Journey and Reo Speedwagon on the fluffy Rock Love Boat. They lost their edge when DLR left. And contrary to what the sisters say, DLR did leave the band. He was not fired.

RogueHorseman
11-29-2004, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by ULTRAMAN VH
I agree, when Sham came on board, VH quickly joined Styx, Journey and Reo Speedwagon on the fluffy Rock Love Boat.

Hey! You left out SURVIVOR!!

How dare you!

hahahahahahahahahah !!