PDA

View Full Version : Nick Mason Reveals the Truth About Pink Floyd's Innovation

rustoffa
11-28-2004, 09:32 PM
Nick Mason Reveals the Truth About Pink Floyd's Innovation

Pink Floyd drummer Nick Mason has revealed the legendary band accidentally discovered a lot of innovative sound techniques they were given credit for.

The "Dark Side of the Moon" rocker does take credit for a number of studio gimmicks the band uncovered, but admits not all were intentional.

Mason says, "There were some very good musical sounds that we discovered by accident."

"I'm thinking about things like the Asdic ping and Dave accidentally plugging his wah-wah pedal the wrong way round."

"And we did the thing where you hit a cymbal and then dip it in water - though I can't remember what it sounded like now."

"Quite a lot of sounds were constructed using very primitive equipment and simple devices."

Copyright World Entertainment News Network 2004

lucky wilbury
11-29-2004, 01:16 AM
his new book is supposed to be really good.

Rikk
11-29-2004, 01:22 AM
I hope the reunion happens next year.

Mr Badguy
11-29-2004, 06:56 AM
Originally posted by Rikk
I hope the reunion happens next year.

You mean with Roger Waters?

I doubt it, I don`t think he`ll ever play with Pink floyd again.

It`s not as if they need the money, which is why most reunions happen.

I mean, David Gilmour sold one of his houses for millions the other year and gave all the proceeds to a homeless charity.

How many other rock stars could afford to do that?

Waters never forgave them for continuing Pink Floyd without him and he probably never will.

DrMaddVibe
11-29-2004, 07:43 AM
Waters isn't as viable without Pink Floyd.

Kaos was a great album, but if it would've been a Floyd album...it would've been better.

His pride is too wrapped up in this to see the good that could come of a renunion.

aesop
11-29-2004, 09:14 AM
Roger has always been PF. They are not the same wothout each other. I have a lot of respect towards Roger for always taking care of SYD BARRETT after his meltdown. That's a true friend, even if SB has no clue anymore about PF or even maybe who RW is.

A good link is here:
http://www.pink-floyd.org/barrett/

"Roger Waters: Syd and I went through our *most* formative years together, riding on my motorbike, getting drunk, doing a little dope, flirting with girls, all that basic stuff. I still consider Syd a great primary inspiration; there was a wonderfu l human tenderness to all his unique musical flights."

DrMaddVibe
11-29-2004, 09:39 AM
I disagre on that one. Pink Floyd has enjoyed commercial success without Waters.

Pink Floyd has a disdain towards touring. They'd rather let it stick in your mind and not dissapoint you live. I've seen Floyd with and without Waters. I've had the pleasure to see Gilmore and Waters solo too. Given my druthers...I'd much rather see Pink Floyd live without Waters. It was a fun show to watch. Given that, I'd rather listen to Waters sing live with Pink Floyd. The power eminating from him on certain songs lets one know that there was either real pain or love behind the music.

Syd's demise can also be pinned on his wonderful friend as well. Pink Floyd was Syd's band and Waters fought with him for control of it. Once drugs were found to be his Achilles Heel he was exposed to them in a manner that would make anyone a locked up mental patient. Syd's solo work displays the glimmers of what Pink Floyd was except he wasn't able to surround himself with the caliber of musicians that he had with Pink Floyd. The smartest move Waters ever made was securing Gilmore into the Floyd. The bands legacy of greatness started there.

Mr Grimsdale
11-29-2004, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by lucky wilbury
his new book is supposed to be really good.

if you buy a copy you'll end up feeding his ferrari habit

oh the despair he must be going through!
how much lower can a man sink?

Reverberator
11-29-2004, 11:22 AM
Clarkson will have him on Top Gear next .

aesop
11-29-2004, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by DrMaddVibe
I disagre on that one. Pink Floyd has enjoyed commercial success without Waters.

Pink Floyd has a disdain towards touring. They'd rather let it stick in your mind and not dissapoint you live. I've seen Floyd with and without Waters. I've had the pleasure to see Gilmore and Waters solo too. Given my druthers...I'd much rather see Pink Floyd live without Waters. It was a fun show to watch. Given that, I'd rather listen to Waters sing live with Pink Floyd. The power eminating from him on certain songs lets one know that there was either real pain or love behind the music.

Syd's demise can also be pinned on his wonderful friend as well. Pink Floyd was Syd's band and Waters fought with him for control of it. Once drugs were found to be his Achilles Heel he was exposed to them in a manner that would make anyone a locked up mental patient. Syd's solo work displays the glimmers of what Pink Floyd was except he wasn't able to surround himself with the caliber of musicians that he had with Pink Floyd. The smartest move Waters ever made was securing Gilmore into the Floyd. The bands legacy of greatness started there.

Interesting viewpoint, Dr. I can appreciate that take.

lucky wilbury
11-29-2004, 01:21 PM
http://www.rogerwatersonline.com/roger_waters_news/13th102004.htm

Nick Mason ends Q reunion rumours

___ During an interview with Nick Mason tonight (12th October), interviewer Johnny Walker asked Nick about Q Magazine's vicious rumour that Pink Floyd were reforming. Nick Mason replied, "Sadly there are no plans to reform with Roger, I think that's very unlikely, I won't be holding my breath on that one." Nick went on to say he was pleased that he was now friends with Roger Waters. The interview concentrated on Nick's book, and found him in great form. The full interview can be listened to here. For those of you in the UK, Nick Mason is due to give another interview in the morning on the Danny Baker Radio London morning show from 6am - 9am. For world wide listeners the show is streamed here. Later today Nick Mason will be appearing on UK TV on the 'Richard and Judy show @ 5pm on C4. Confirmed book signings below.

ODShowtime
11-29-2004, 03:57 PM
What a crime. One of the best bands ever, all still alive, and no reunion.

Warham
11-29-2004, 04:08 PM
And here I thought drugs were the reason for their innovation...

...I'll be damned.

:D

Nickdfresh
11-29-2004, 04:34 PM
I heard an interview with Toronto native Bob Ezrin, the producer of the Wall on a Toronto classic rock station that was "celebrating" the 25th anniversary of the album ("Q" 107.1). It was kind of interesting that he described Roger Waters as a bit of an overbearing tyrant. He wrote the vast majority of Pink Floyd's music, but Ezrin described the battles that went on behind the recording as contentious and he made no secret of his dislike of Waters, referring to him as an asshole more than once.

He said Waters had a "tremendous intellect," but also an "incredible" amount of anger. Ezrin stepped in and often fought with Roger to be more collaborative, but according to Ezrin, Waters was very disdainful of anybody else's work and thought of The Wall as his Opus.

Ezrin forced David Gilmour, whom he described as a very warm and human guy as opposed to Waters, to give him a recording of a love song he had written independently of Pink Floyd. Ezrin then listened to it with Roger and asked him to consider adding it to the selections. Waters laughed and basically said (half jokingly) "this piece of shit, you must be fucking mad!"

Ezrin said Waters came back in the studio about three weeks later with Gilmour's song, reworked and with new more appropriate lyrics, and said it was going to be called "Comfortably Numb." It was an interesting interview. I can't find any mp3 of the interview, but this is the web site if you are interested.

Mr Badguy
11-29-2004, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by DrMaddVibe

Although they sold a lot of albums, the music they made post Waters was good without being outstanding.

There isn`t really anything memorable about the two studio albums they made after he left, other than the fact that he wasn`t on them and it still sounded like Pink Floyd, albeit without the fantastic wordplay you get from Waters.

They are nowhere near as pissed off as "Dark side of the moon", "Animals" or "The Wall", which connect with the listener on a personal level due to Waters` lyric writing genius and also great music.

Even if they did get back together, it`s a hell of a legacy to live up to.

rustoffa
11-29-2004, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by Mr Badguy

They are nowhere near as pissed off as "Dark side of the moon", "Animals" or "The Wall", which connect with the listener on a personal level due to Waters` lyric writing genius and also great music.

Gotta agree.
I'd also add that it could take quite awhile for Waters' to function in a comfortable "band-type" atmosphere, and the dynamics of a solid Floyd reunion would depend on exactly that.

diamondD
11-29-2004, 08:46 PM
Last I heard from Gilmour, touring is a young man's game and he didn't think he would be doing it again.

DrMaddVibe
12-02-2004, 11:58 AM
Although they sold a lot of albums, the music they made post Waters was good without being outstanding.

There isn`t really anything memorable about the two studio albums they made after he left, other than the fact that he wasn`t on them and it still sounded like Pink Floyd, albeit without the fantastic wordplay you get from Waters.

Learning to Fly and The Dogs of War earned high places on the charts (something Waters hasn't done solo!). The Division Bell is a release that harkens back to the Syd days but with better technology in the studio.

The other albums you mentioned were PF releases with the band intact(sans Barrett), if Waters is all you say he is then why is it that he hasn't been able to crack the charts and achieve acclaim the way PF did without him? Don't misunderstand me, I think he's awesome but to pull one sentence out of what I wrote to encapsulate your last post takes the essence out of what I wrote. PF without Water did achieve success and had several world tours as well.

Nickdfresh
06-16-2005, 05:12 PM
Live Aid BUMP!

Soul Reaper
06-17-2005, 03:35 PM
You can never have a complete Floyd without Waters.

and that's a fact, even if they did have a massive comeback with Dave at the helm.

Water's anguish for his dad probably fed into the lyrics and thus made Pink Floyd as great as they are.

Shaun Ponsonby
06-17-2005, 03:42 PM
You mean with Roger Waters?

I doubt it, I don`t think he`ll ever play with Pink floyd again.

It`s not as if they need the money, which is why most reunions happen.

I mean, David Gilmour sold one of his houses for millions the other year and gave all the proceeds to a homeless charity.

How many other rock stars could afford to do that?

Waters never forgave them for continuing Pink Floyd without him and he probably never will.

FUCK, WERE YOU WRONG!

Soul Reaper
06-17-2005, 03:44 PM
I'm listening to Fletcher Memorial home at the moment.

Such a great song and guitar solo