PDA

View Full Version : Willingham Fired From Notre Dame

Warham
12-01-2004, 08:37 AM
SOUTH BEND, Ind. -- Coach Tyrone Willingham was fired by Notre Dame on Tuesday after three seasons in which he failed to return one of the nation's most storied football programs to prominence.

Willingham went 21-15, including 6-5 this season. The Fighting Irish lost 41-10 to No. 1 Southern California on Saturday.

"We simply have not made the progress on the field that we need to make," athletic director Kevin White said in a news conference. "Nor have we been able to create the positive momentum necessary in our efforts to return the Notre Dame program to the elite level of the college football world."

Players now are considering not playing in the Insight Bowl on Dec. 28, and White said he didn't know who would coach the game. Notre Dame accepted the invitation from bowl officials on Sunday.

The Notre Dame players met Tuesday evening, and the Chicago Sun-Times reported that the team decided to play in the bowl game. The announcement of an interim coach for that game is expected Wednesday, according to the newspaper.

The decision to sever ties with Willingham was made during an emergency meeting of the university's board of trustees Monday night, ESPN.com's Ivan Maisel reports. At the time, seven assistants were on the road recruiting. Upon learning of the decision Tuesday afternoon, Willingham called his coaches and, according to one source, said to them "come on in, we're done."

The team attended an emotional early-afternoon meeting with Willingham and White, who said they "decided to go in different directions."

"I feel bad for the seniors," sophomore free safety Tommy Zbikowski told ESPN.com's Wayne Drehs. "First they have to go through the [Bob] Davie firing, then [George] O'Leary and now this. Those guys have constantly helped the underclassmen and they've been so selfless, and now they have to go through this again. The other bad part is most of the coaches were out recruiting, so we didn't even get to talk to them.

"The best way to describe it is shock. You hear about this stuff on the message boards, but no one thinks it can happen, and then there's a meeting called out of nowhere and it happens."

Willingham's firing comes after a season in which the Irish pulled off upset victories over Michigan and Tennessee but also were beaten badly by USC and Purdue. Student groups were planning a protest on campus Tuesday evening to call for Willingham's firing; he faced criticism from fans much of the season.

White praised Willingham's handling of the team, especially the Irish's strong academic record.

"From Sunday through Friday our football program has exceeded all expectations, in every way," he said. "But on Saturday, we struggled. We've been up and down and sideways a little bit."

Notre Dame's loss to USC marked the fifth time the Irish lost by 31 points or more under Willingham -- including three against the rival Trojans. By comparison, the Irish under Davie had just one such loss; Lou Holtz and Dan Devine had none.

Notre Dame hired Willingham, the first black head coach in any sport for the Irish, from Stanford to replace O'Leary. The former Georgia Tech coach resigned five days after taking the job because he admitted lying about his academic and athletic achievements on his résumé.

With Tony Samuel fired by New Mexico State and Fitz Hill resigning as San Jose State coach last week, there are now only two black head coaches in Division I-A: Karl Dorrell at UCLA and Sylvester Croom at Mississippi State.

Floyd Keith, executive director of the Black Coaches Association, said he was disappointed with Notre Dame's decision.

"In three years, I think he has done everything, short of winning a national championship and I don't think he inherited national championship talent," he said.

Keith told ESPNews that the firing makes it seem that black coaches are held to a higher standard than their white counterparts. Davie, Willingham's predecessor, compiled a 21-16 record during his first three seasons, but was retained for the duration of his contract. He finished with a five-year record of 35-25.

Willingham had two years left on his contract.

"This sends an alarming message to African-Americans," Keith said.

In his first season, Willingham had many fans recalling Notre Dame's glory days, taking over a losing squad and turning things around immediately. The Irish won eight straight games to start the season before finishing 10-3 and going to the Gator Bowl.

But during his second year, the Irish fell to 5-7, with four of their losses coming by 26 points or more. It was Notre Dame's third losing record in five seasons, the team's worst stretch in 115 years of football.

One coach expected to be mentioned as a possible replacement for Willingham is Utah's Urban Meyer, an Irish assistant between 1996 and 2000. The Utes are 11-0 and ranked No. 5 in their second year under Meyer.

Meyer wouldn't say Tuesday whether he'd be interested if Notre Dame called, but he did acknowledge the clause in his Utah contract that allows him to leave Utah without penalty if he is named head coach at Michigan, Ohio State or Notre Dame. The clause was included in the contract extension he signed last summer.

"I have great respect for that university. That's the reason it's [the out clause] in my contract," Meyer said after Tuesday's practice. "I think a lot of people look into it more than what it is. I'm sure that this is going to spark a lot of discussion, but I'm just trying to get a team ready to play in a bowl game."

Notre Dame has won eight AP college football national championships, more than any other school, with the last in the 1988 season under Holtz. Players from the school have won the Heisman Trophy seven times, also the most in college football.

But the Irish haven't won a bowl game since ending the 1993 season ranked No. 2 after beating Texas A&M 24-21 in the Cotton Bowl. Since then, the Irish have lost six straight postseason games.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

Va Beach VH Fan
12-01-2004, 09:14 AM
Anyone have a race card handy ???

DLR7884
12-01-2004, 09:51 AM
Willingham getting fired wasn't racial.

They would have never hired him or kept him as long as they did.

His firing was based on the fact that the team's offense has sucked, he was brought in to revamp the offense and put points on the board.

Never happened.

Also, the boosters don't look kindly on multiple losses over a 3 year span of over 30 points.

Lou Holtz isn't coming back. Spurrier did an interview last week where he said that Holtz agreed with him about not going back to Florida. Spurrier asked Holtz if he was offered another shot at coaching the Irish if he'd take it, and he said no.

DLR7884
Get ready for Urban Meyer.

Brett
12-01-2004, 01:06 PM
He was fired because of this.

0-3 against USC, losing by 31 points three straight times.

DLR7884
12-01-2004, 01:10 PM
Right on.

He just didn't get the job done, it has nothing to do with the color of his skin.

DLR7884
Good coach, just not for the Irish's standards of "excellence."

Va Beach VH Fan
12-01-2004, 02:24 PM
That was my attempt at humor, of course I know it wasn't racial....

Although you'd never know it listening to some of these so-called "experts".....

conmee
12-01-2004, 03:27 PM
The 3 straight losses to USC by 31, the worst shutout loss at home to Michigan last year, an increasingly inept offense, losses to teams like BC, BYU, and Pitt, and you have it right there.

Holtz isn't and won't be asked to return, he's too damn old, family health problems, and the fact that we don't need another return to the option, are pretty good reasons that this isn't even a discussion topic on most sports talk radio.

GO IRISH!!!

Icon.

DLR7884
12-01-2004, 03:29 PM
Isn't a topic on sports radio?

Those two faggots Mike and Mike did their whole gay ass show about it this morning.

DLR7884
Anyone else hate those fucking morons as much as I do?

Va Beach VH Fan
12-01-2004, 04:56 PM
I'd rather listen to them than Kornheiser anyday.....

I think they're making a bigger deal than most is because Golic is a ND alum.......

DLR7884
12-01-2004, 05:04 PM
Can you really listen to those two fags?

They sound like a gay couple recording their answering machine message:

Golic: This is Mike
Greenberg: and Mike
Together: in the morning.

How much more homosexual does it get than that?

DLR7884
All they try to do is stir the pot to cause controversy.

Warham
12-01-2004, 05:38 PM
I only put Holtz' name in the subject line because of the coincidental timing of it all.

I'm sure Urban Meyer will get the job.

DLR7884
12-01-2004, 05:43 PM
Yeah, he's their guy.

DLR7884
For sure.

Brett
12-01-2004, 05:43 PM
Urban Meyer should get the job, and he will do a good job. He's an excellent coach.

DLR7884
12-01-2004, 05:44 PM
In fact, he's got some sort of clause in his contract allowing him to void it if the head coaching job at ND were to ever be offered to him.

DLR7884
It's been his dream to coach there.

Brett
12-01-2004, 05:47 PM
Which he absolutely will be doing.

Skyscraper87
12-01-2004, 05:48 PM
Yeah, but Willingham did the best he could with a team that doesn't get recruits like it used to. He had talent there like Brady Quinn and Brandon Hoyte, but his ND team didn't have the guys like in the past like Montana, Tim Brown or Jerome Bettis. Kids nowadays aren't looking at Notre Dame like in the past. They'd rather play at places like USC or Michigan or Tennessee. Notre Dame fell from prominance a long time before Willingham stepped in, and you can't put the entire thing on his back. I'm a die hard Irish fan, but I would have at least liked to see them let him coach ND in their bowl game.

Brett
12-01-2004, 05:51 PM
Well nobody wanted to play at SC for a long time. When you're bad, nobody wants to go there.

I question a lot of his playcalling in the USC game when the score was still relatively close. IMO, he got away from what the team was doing well in the 1st quarter. He was really outcoached by Pete Carroll, especially in the second half. And that stupid trick play they ran was indicative of that.

DLR7884
12-01-2004, 05:54 PM
I think that the team may request that he coach them in their bowl game.

DLR7884
At least that's what they said on Fag and Fag in the morning.

Brett
12-01-2004, 05:55 PM
He might do it for the players, but if I were him, I'd tell ND to go fuck themselves.

MAX
12-01-2004, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by Brett
Urban Meyer should get the job, and he will do a good job. He's an excellent coach.

It's ALL OVER the news here which sucks dick for my alma mater. Good for him but he's really made The Ute's an exciting offensive team in the couple of years that he's been here. We always get fucked. LOL!!!

Lou
12-02-2004, 08:49 AM
I can't stand how this is the top story on ESPN, with that jerk-off Stuart Scott. If it were a white guy, would it have carried over for days and days? No.

Va Beach VH Fan
12-02-2004, 09:05 AM
It's not Stuart Scott's decision what gets top billing on Sportscenter, there are production meetings every day that decide that.....

Stuart just reads what's put in front of him.....

DLR7884
12-02-2004, 10:01 AM
Stuart Scott is a fucking pudwhacker.

I can't stand him. You need to have some sort of understanding of ebonics to figure out what he's saying.

DLR7884
Fucking lazy, glass eyed motherfucker...

conmee
12-02-2004, 11:32 AM
I'd rather have Tedford from Cal than Meyer... lol

GO IRISH!!!
GO CHARGERS!!!

Icon.

Va Beach VH Fan
12-02-2004, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by DLR7884
Stuart Scott is a fucking pudwhacker.

I can't stand him. You need to have some sort of understanding of ebonics to figure out what he's saying.

DLR7884
Fucking lazy, glass eyed motherfucker...

I'm not defending what kind of sportscaster he is, I'm just ensuring my buddy Lou understands that he doesn't draft up the Sportscenter stories....

I get tired of the Booyah bullshit as well....

DLR7884
12-02-2004, 02:30 PM
Yeah, he just reads what's in front of him.

DLR7884
My problem is the stupid way he reads it.

Brett
12-02-2004, 06:06 PM
When Bob Davie was fired, what did ESPN spend, 2 minutes on it? Did anyone even care?

DLR7884
12-02-2004, 06:08 PM
That's a good point Brett.

Of course, that's because the media is always looking to stir the pot.

DLR7884
Anything racial and they are like kids in a candy store.

Va Beach VH Fan
12-02-2004, 08:41 PM
I think one of main points the media is making, outside of the racial issue, is that they didn't let him finish out his contract, which they did allow before Davie was whacked.....

conmee
12-02-2004, 08:52 PM
Hey, they gave Davie a SIX YEAR EXTENSION in 2000, prior to the Fiesta Bowl disaster against Oregon State.... and Ty had a six year deal as well... so I don't think anyone at the school wanted to watch another 3 years go down the drain... he was a politically good pick after that dildo AD Kevin White embarrassed the university by hiring O'Leary.. so the great black experiment was used to gain immense positive PR for the school, and that's what Willingham did... the problem is that now the university is pissing away all the public goodwill, given the fact that Ty is black and that he didn't get at least 5 years like 2 horrible white coaches in the past...

At any rate, one more year to see if his recruits and if Quinn could run the West Coast offense efficiently wouldn't have been too much to ask for... should have been "no BCS, no job" next year. Then the university could have made a better case that not only his system, but his players couldn't deliver results.

ND athletics has been more up/down than ever since Kevin White took over the AD position... he should have been fired after O'Leary... but if AD's can get away with the kind of shit OSU's AD gets away with, I guess it's kid's play what Kevin White has done...

GO IRISH!!!

Icon.

Lou
12-02-2004, 09:37 PM
Really, who the hell wants to watch 3 straight days of this crap as the top story? I can understand the NBA fight making headlines for days and days. But this is just a coach getting fired. Gee maybe he got fired because he CAN'T COACH.

Brett
12-03-2004, 01:37 AM
Imagine if USC beats UCLA and the Bruins fire Karl Dorrell. SC will have run 2 of the 3 three black I-A coaches out of town. That's 2 weeks worth of lame ass stories for ESPN.

MAX
12-03-2004, 01:37 AM
Well, it was the top headline story tonight on all of the local news stations. Urban Meyer is either going to Notre Dame or Florida. It's a done fucking deal. Too bad for us.

Brett
12-03-2004, 01:38 AM
He's going to ND man, that's a done deal.

DLR7884
12-03-2004, 09:53 AM
Yes it is.

DLR7884
He'll coach the bowl game for Utah though.

Brett
12-03-2004, 02:25 PM
Hey guys, you see it looks like Meyer is going to....Florida?!?!?

DLR7884
12-03-2004, 02:36 PM
Yeah, I just heard that on the radio.

Notre Dame must be pissed.

DLR7884
What's plan B?

Brett
12-03-2004, 02:37 PM
I heard USC's offensive coordinator Norm Chow wants to be a head coach. Never know.

MAX
12-03-2004, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by Brett
Hey guys, you see it looks like Meyer is going to....Florida?!?!?

Didn't I say that was a possiblity just last night? :p ;)