PDA

View Full Version : Kerry fends off attacks over fund raising

lucky wilbury
02-02-2004, 02:20 AM
http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/02/01/elec04.prez.main/index.html

Kerry fends off attacks over fund raising
Dean: 'Enormous gamble' didn't pay off
Sunday, February 1, 2004 Posted: 11:13 PM EST (0413 GMT)

FARGO, North Dakota (CNN) -- Sen. John Kerry braved sub-zero temperatures Sunday to stump for votes in frosty North Dakota, while his rivals tried to heat up the race with a new line of attack: that the Democratic front-runner has been too cozy with lobbyists to effectively lead the fight against powerful special interests.

The Kerry campaign was also confronted with a report in the current issue of Newsweek that the senator's office contacted federal regulators to assist a friend of Johnny Chung, a central figure in the 1996 fund-raising scandals, shortly before Chung threw a fund-raiser for Kerry's Senate re-election campaign that year.

Kerry said Sunday that he had "no recollection" of meeting Chung. He also said Chung, who later pleaded guilty to making illegal campaign contributions to both Kerry and former President Bill Clinton, received no special treatment because of his fund-raising help.

"This is old news. It's been thoroughly vetted, it was investigated. The moment we had learned anything about that contribution, we returned the entire contribution," he told reporters in Fargo.

But Howard Dean blasted Kerry over his dealings with Chung, saying he owes the American people an "apology."

"John Kerry has absolutely no credibility at all anymore when it comes to fighting special interests in Washington," the former Vermont governor told reporters aboard his campaign plane Sunday. "This is exactly the kind of behavior that George Bush, on a much grander scale, does."

Earlier in the day, in an interview with NBC's "Meet The Press," Dean also stood behind the criticism he leveled at Kerry on Saturday, after figures from the Center for Responsive Politics surfaced showing Kerry had received more campaign contributions from registered lobbyists since 1989 than any current or former senator.

On CBS's Face The Nation Sunday, Sen. John Edwards of North Carolina said Dean's characterization Saturday of Kerry as a Republican was "ridiculous." But as he has throughout the campaign, Edwards tried to position himself as a Washington outsider who would fight special interests, saying he has taken no contributions from registered lobbyists.

"I think we need real change in Washington. I think we need real change in America. And I believe somebody like me, who's not been in Washington for 15 to 20 years, is the best person to bring about that change," said Edwards, who is serving his first term in the Senate.

The CRP's figures on contributions from lobbyists do not include contributions from lawyers, many of whom lobby on behalf of their clients. Among current and former senators during the past 15 years, Edwards, a trial lawyer, has received more money from lawyers than anyone else, followed by Kerry.

In other campaign developments Sunday, Kerry was endorsed by Gov. Gary Locke of Washington, which holds caucuses Saturday, and the United Farm Workers.

Cathedral
02-02-2004, 02:39 AM
If Edwards were to get the nod and win the election i wonder how long it would be before he was assassinated...

That is if he really isn't a pawn to the lobbyists as he states.

I just don't see the so called Special Interests sitting idly by while they get dissed.
Like i said before, Special Interests have been a political platform for as long as i can remember, so when exactly is a candidate that claims to fight them going to actually fight them?

FORD
02-02-2004, 08:36 AM
One wonders if the DLC (aka Appeasement "Democrats") aren't pushing Judas IsKerryot because they know he can't win.

Oh and by the way.....

FUCK YOU GARY LOCKE!! It's a damn good thing you aren't running again, because you would have just lost my vote for endorsing this fucking PNAC sellout. :mad2:

Cathedral
02-02-2004, 08:43 AM
Actually, I think, and as sad is it is, that Kerry is the Dems best chance of getting the White House back.
Dean has no chance of winning the election, dude. That should be very clear to everyone.

Dean represents radical change in Washington which as history shows, Americans don't like radical change.

Not to mention that they are all proposing tax increases which has hardly ever been a successful platform to winning any election. the thing is that the voters won't say it until they turn in the ballot card...

FORD
02-02-2004, 09:22 AM
Kerry can't beat Junior. As dumb as Bush is, even he will be able to answer every charge Kerry would make in a debate with well, why did you vote for it then

And besides, if it's Junior vs Judas, the only winners are PNAC and Skull & Bones, regardless of the outcome.

John Ashcroft
02-02-2004, 10:26 AM
And then?

FORD
02-02-2004, 10:43 AM
And then....the final slide into a one party fascist state :(