PDA

View Full Version : Ronnie James Dio

Skyscraper87
12-01-2004, 06:04 PM
Hey, after Ronnie had such a great commentary about Dave, and generally everything on Least Metal Moments, and we had a good discussion about it, I'd like to know what everyone thinks of Ronnie's work.

I happen to like that when he came into Sabbath, he said he didn't try to replace Ozzy, he respected Ozzy, and just wanted to try to keep Sabbath's legacy going. Personally, Ozzy is the essential Sabbath singer and a GREAT vocalist, but I think Ronnie's pipes edge out the Ozzman's.

I love all of Dio's solo stuff, his new album 'Master of the Moon' rocked, and his Rainbow stuff was cool too. But thats just me, what do you guys think.

bueno bob
12-01-2004, 10:40 PM
Ronnie's voice is approximately 1,239,487,239,487,239,478,239,847 times better than Ozzy's.

Give or take 16 either direction.

Ron's a top notch vocalist and can still blow the competition out of the water vocally (most of the competition being half as old as he is, even!), but of course Ozzy is the quintessential Sabbath singer.

Sammy Hagar could have learned a LOT from Ronnie's Sabbath example. Many replacement vocalists could.

DrMaddVibe
12-01-2004, 10:40 PM
I respect Dio...a lot.

Sabbath with him as a vocalist enabled them to reach in musically diferent directions and on both albums and tours it worked great.

Sixteenth Century Greensleeves is an amazing song, and his live album "Dio-Inferno: Last in Live" is simply Dio at THE top of his game.

Vivian Campbell
12-01-2004, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by DrMaddVibe
his live album "Dio-Inferno: Last in Live" is simply Dio at THE top of his game.

Too bad that hack guitarist Tracy G is on that record. :mad:

bueno bob
12-01-2004, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by DrMaddVibe
"Last in Live" is simply Dio at THE top of his game.

And that after HOW many years?

Who in the HELL puts out a live album THAT GOOD after 40 odd years in the industry?

Unbelievable....there are NO LIMITS to the amount of credit and respect and awe Ronnie James Dio deserves.

Vivian Campbell
12-01-2004, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by bueno bob
And that after HOW many years?

Who in the HELL puts out a live album THAT GOOD after 40 odd years in the industry?

Unbelievable....there are NO LIMITS to the amount of credit and respect and awe Ronnie James Dio deserves.

Damn right! His voice is strong on the Master of the Moon as well. He's what 62? Every aspiring singer should play the trumpet when they’re young. Ronnie credits that for his vocal longevity.

bueno bob
12-01-2004, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by Vivian Campbell
Too bad that hack guitarist Tracy G is on that record. :mad:

Yes. I completely agree. Tracy G is a pile of poop as a guitarist.

Is he back in the WW3 reunion with Vinny, Jimmy and Mandy Lion?

Oh yeah, THAT'S gonna sell like hotcakes, no doubt.... :rolleyes:

scottydabodi
12-04-2004, 07:38 PM
Fuck Tracy G, you gotta see the newest Dio Live dvd with Doug Aldrich on it! Ron is KILLER!! Doug kicks ASS!! What a great show!! Dio = Superman of Singers!!! All hail the king!!

singerman
12-04-2004, 11:22 PM
bit of a short arse though eh?

bueno bob
12-05-2004, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by singerman
bit of a short arse though eh?

You see, it's idiocy like this that always makes me smile...no doubt Ronnie too...

WHO GIVES A FUCK HOW SHORT RONNIE IS?

You mention Ronnie James Dio to John Q Public and the best he's got to offer is, "Oh, yeah, he's pretty short, hunh?". Who fuckin' cares? His lungs sound like that of an 11 foot tall monster - and THAT'S what's important, not his height.

Northern Girl
12-05-2004, 08:17 PM
Flashback. Loved Dio back in the Holy Diver days. Hungry for Heaven is one of my favorite songs.

singerman
12-05-2004, 09:13 PM
You see, it's idiocy like this that always makes me smile...no doubt Ronnie too...

WHO GIVES A FUCK HOW SHORT RONNIE IS?

You mention Ronnie James Dio to John Q Public and the best he's got to offer is, "Oh, yeah, he's pretty short, hunh?". Who fuckin' cares? His lungs sound like that of an 11 foot tall monster - and THAT'S what's important, not his height.

singerman
12-05-2004, 09:21 PM
hey lighten up mate!.....ive'been a fan of his for years...hell i even met the band on their first U.K tour back in 1983...everyone was mentioning what a great singer he is,so come on...someone had to mention hes a bit of a short arse at some point in this thread!...jesus you yanks are a bit highly strung this week!.....which is more than can be said for our little ronnie who isnt really high in any way ;-)

bueno bob
12-06-2004, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by singerman
hey lighten up mate!.....ive'been a fan of his for years...hell i even met the band on their first U.K tour back in 1983...everyone was mentioning what a great singer he is,so come on...someone had to mention hes a bit of a short arse at some point in this thread!...jesus you yanks are a bit highly strung this week!.....which is more than can be said for our little ronnie who isnt really high in any way ;-)

OK. You're cool, I'm cool, we're all cool here.

Ronnie's my main man, I get my hair up whenever it seems like someone's giving him shit.

All good, bro :)

singerman
12-06-2004, 08:06 PM
OK. You're cool, I'm cool, we're all cool here.

Ronnie's my main man, I get my hair up whenever it seems like someone's giving him shit.

All good, bro :)

singerman
12-06-2004, 08:09 PM
phew!....thought id really upset ya then...cheers for not being too pissed off at me!.....right back on track....ive got a fantastic video of Dio with rainbow in 1977....he is totally incredible.....cozy powell on drums too...it rocks!!!

Thetruthbaby
12-07-2004, 04:09 PM
Ronnie Dio is a legend. I actually prefer the Dio led Sabbath over Ozzy. And I heard Ozzy Sabbath first (revealing my age a bit there). I've always felt that Mob Rules was the best metal album of all time. I also always felt that Dio fit Sabbath more, he has a much more powerful voice than Ozzy and is a better writer (if you do some real research you'll see Ozzy hasn't written hardly anything in his entire career). I also believe that Ronnie's solo career has been very consistent without sounding completely dated. Everyone always points to H&Hell and although it's great I feel MRules is better. Not to mention his work with Rainbow. I saw Dio at the Greek Theatre a couple of weeks ago and he was fantastic. Still has a voice to die for after all of these years. One thing I've mentioned before is that when Dio joined Sabbath they were really done. Their last couple of albums had not even gone gold and they were looked at as a finished entity in music. Then H&Hell came out, went platinum, and kicked Sabbath's ass back into arena's (where they belonged). Dio saved Sabbath's ass big time people. I would never deny that Sabbath's legacy for the most part is with Ozzy. But I get damn sick of people lying about what really happened back in 1980. Dio resurrected Sabbath. I REMEMBER. Plus the numbers don't lie. G Butler actually admitted in an interview in the early 90's (after Dehumanizer and before the Ozzy reunion) that he prefered working with DIO because Dio was more of a musician than Ozzy. Of course now Geezer would never admit such a thing since they are making great money touring with Ozzy every couple of years. And that's cool. I do like Ozzy Sabbath and appreciate their place as icons in the rock world. But the fact of the matter is if Dio had not joined in 1980 Sabbath would have been history. Instead they re-established themselves as the kings of metal. Ronnie has also always been very respectful of Ozzy despite having much more talent. I wish Ozzy would get off his ego trip and give Ronnie the respect he deserves but I doubt that will ever happen. No matter though, Dio Sabbath/Dio solo is the stuff of legend for many fans in the rock community. Unlike VH Sabbath thrived commercially and musically after they lost their 1st singer (at least until Ronnie left that is). Dio is all class.