PDA

View Full Version : So You Want to Win the Lottery?

Nickdfresh
12-01-2004, 09:17 PM
Record lottery winner arrested on DUI, weapons charges
West Virginian carrying $117,000 in cash at time of latest incident
Wednesday, December 1, 2004 Posted: 6:03 PM EST (2303 GMT)

CHARLESTON, West Virginia (AP) -- A man who won a record $315 million in the Powerball lottery was taken to jail on charges of drunken driving and carrying a pistol, authorities said.

Jack Whittaker, 57, was arrested Tuesday night after his Hummer struck a concrete median on the West Virginia Turnpike near Beckley.

Senior Trooper M.J. Pinardo reported that he smelled alcohol, but Whittaker refused sobriety tests and was "extremely belligerent." Troopers also said they found a small pistol in Whittaker's boot and he was carrying $117,000 in cash.

Whittaker, who was alone, complained of back pain. He was treated at a hospital, and then jailed early Wednesday.

Whittaker was released after he was arraigned and posted $1,700 bail. Besides the DUI and weapons charge, he was charged with failure to maintain control of his vehicle and failure to submit to a breath test.

It was the latest in a series of incidents involving Whittaker since he took home the largest single jackpot ever.

Whittaker's vehicle, business and home have allegedly been broken into multiple times.

The body of 18-year-old Jesse Joe Tribble was found at Whittaker's home in September. Tribble's death was not a crime and Whittaker was out of town at the time.

Whittaker also faces charges of assaulting and threatening a manager at a bar in January.

Copyright 2004 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

rustoffa
12-01-2004, 09:21 PM
Gee, wonder what shitty federalie will take the first pay off?

Money talks, lottery winners walk.

Flash Bastard
12-01-2004, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh
Copyright 2004 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

LOL.

Is money the root of all evil? Gene $immons says the lack of money is the root of evil.

Of course Gene would say that, he's worth about 150 million and thinks it's nowhere near enough.

DeadOrAlive
12-02-2004, 12:26 AM
WOW that sucks...

FORD
12-02-2004, 12:36 AM
315 million and he can't call a fucking cab? Or rent a limo, for fucks sake?

I don't excuse drunk driving for anybody, but it's even more ridiculous for someone who can easily afford to hire alternative transportation :mad:

Would have been one Hell of a lawsuit if the dumb bastard had hit something living, instead of a concrete wall.

lms2
12-02-2004, 05:50 AM
Yes, I would still like to take my chances winning the lottery! IF people are stupid when they are poor, chances are they are still gonna be stupid when they are rich.

Now winning the lottery at a young, impressionable age like 21... that would be rough. But I think I am old enough now to handle the responsibility and enjoy the rewards. :D And if not, I am definitely old enough not to care!

Nickdfresh
12-02-2004, 09:01 AM
I once heard that lottery winners have above average suicide rates. Pressures and harassment from winning you know.