PDA

View Full Version : Tenet calls for Internet security

lucky wilbury
12-02-2004, 09:28 PM
http://www.washingtontimes.com/functions/print.php?StoryID=20041201-114750-6381r

Tenet calls for Internet security
By Shaun Waterman
UNITED PRESS INTERNATIONAL
Published December 2, 2004

Former CIA Director George J. Tenet yesterday called for new security measures to guard against attacks on the United States that use the Internet, which he called "a potential Achilles' heel."

"I know that these actions will be controversial in this age when we still think the Internet is a free and open society with no control or accountability," he told an information-technology security conference in Washington, "but ultimately the Wild West must give way to governance and control."

The former CIA director said telecommunications -- and specifically the Internet -- are a back door through which terrorists and other enemies of the United States could attack the country, even though great strides have been made in securing the physical infrastructure.

The Internet "represents a potential Achilles' heel for our financial stability and physical security if the networks we are creating are not protected," Mr. Tenet said.

He said known adversaries, including "intelligence services, military organizations and non-state actors," are researching information attacks against the United States.

Within the federal government, the Department of Homeland Security has the lead role in protecting the Internet from terrorism. But the department's head of cyber-security recently quit amid reports that he had clashed with his superiors.

Mr. Tenet, who retired in July as director of the CIA after seven years, warned that al Qaeda remains a sophisticated group, even though its first-tier leadership largely has been destroyed.

It is "undoubtedly mapping vulnerabilities and weaknesses in our telecommunications networks," he said.

Mr. Tenet pointed out that the modernization of key industries in the United States is making them more vulnerable by connecting them with an Internet that is open to attack.

The way the Internet was built might be part of the problem, he said. Its open architecture allows Web surfing, but that openness makes the system vulnerable, Mr. Tenet said.

Access to networks like the World Wide Web might need to be limited to those who can show they take security seriously, he said.

Mr. Tenet called for industry to lead the way by "establishing and enforcing" security standards. Products need to be delivered to government and private-sector customers "with a new level of security and risk management already built in."

The national press, including United Press International (UPI), were excluded from yesterday's event, at Mr. Tenet's request, organizers said.

Vivian Campbell
12-02-2004, 10:55 PM
Now those Saudis that hacked this site will pay!

FORD
12-03-2004, 12:16 AM
Hey Tenet? Ya ever heard of a firewall, jackass?

JoeyT.
12-03-2004, 12:57 AM
Hey Ford, how bout those 3 million votes, jackass?

ALinChainz
12-03-2004, 01:08 AM
Originally posted by JoeyT.

Ladies and gentleman ... Jethro's retarded little brother ...

fresh from the 6th grade ... Joey Bodine.

Wayne L.
12-03-2004, 06:37 AM
I agree with former CIA Director George Tenet about the internet because there are just as many freaks who want to conquer the world in their misguided minds along with normal people who are looking for information, fan sites & so on.

ODShowtime
12-03-2004, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by JoeyT.

I'd appreciate it if you would refrain from making such bone-headed comments whilst sporting the hallowed Steelers logo. Thank you.

YEAHIMROTH!
12-03-2004, 09:23 AM
first the internet - then what? will newspapers and radio and tv in america be the next " terror " target? because this now means that the main form on media bein the internet is now goin to be " secure" i.e censored so it looks like a big Domino Effect

FORD
12-03-2004, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by YEAHIMROTH!
first the internet - then what? will newspapers and radio and tv in america be the next " terror " target? because this now means that the main form on media bein the internet is now goin to be " secure" i.e censored so it looks like a big Domino Effect

It's too late for the media. Most of radio and TV is already converted to BCE propagandism. Newspapers aren't far behind. The internet is the only truly uncensored media in existence and that's why they hate it. Not to mention it allows Americans to access overseas media sources who report the stories without the PNAC pravda spin.

YEAHIMROTH!
12-03-2004, 09:40 AM
im not from america , from the U.K , honestly just reading some of these posts the centre rights of these forums are so fkn narrow minded , approach everythin like a computer game , can you not all see what your amazing president is doin? he is infringing ur civil liberties for the sake of the pursuit of " terror" , i dont why you all cannot see this . THANK GOD for the americans that introduced the rule for the president bering in offcie for 2 terms , maybe in 4 years time you will see what has happend to ur once great nation. the only real freedom you maybe get now without the fear of TERROR hanging over you is doing up your fly.

YEAHIMROTH!
12-03-2004, 09:44 AM
real enemies of america = yourselves , north korea , saudi arabia, iran.

YEAHIMROTH!
12-03-2004, 09:44 AM
not the internet.

Vivian Campbell
12-03-2004, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by YEAHIMROTH!
im not from america , from the U.K , honestly just reading some of these posts the centre rights of these forums are so fkn narrow minded , approach everythin like a computer game , can you not all see what your amazing president is doin? he is infringing ur civil liberties for the sake of the pursuit of " terror" , i dont why you all cannot see this . THANK GOD for the americans that introduced the rule for the president bering in offcie for 2 terms , maybe in 4 years time you will see what has happend to ur once great nation. the only real freedom you maybe get now without the fear of TERROR hanging over you is doing up your fly.

Do me a favor, criticize the proposals of a former CLINTON APPOINTED CIA Director when your country stops trying to dictate whether or not parents can spank their own children.

Perhaps you should start worrying about the Islamists flooding into your country. The Muslims are eagerly reproducing while your peoples’ birth average is 1.66 per woman (that’s the U.N. taking). The British Mosques are bursting at the seams while your once great Anglican Churches would make a Soviet-era Orthodox Church look crowded. The Muslims throughout your country have promised to destroy Britain and you speak of terror-phobia in the U.S.? Continue to enjoy your anti-American newspapers (from which you get your talking points), soccer games, abortions, and pig masturbation on TV. Ignorance is bliss, I guess. If the British don’t wise up, by the end of the century, the Empire Under the Sun will be the Kingdom under the Crescent.

BigBadBrian
12-03-2004, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by Vivian Campbell
Do me a favor, criticize the proposals of a former CLINTON APPOINTED CIA Director when your country stops trying to dictate whether or not parents can spank their own children.

Perhaps you should start worrying about the Islamists flooding into your country. The Muslims are eagerly reproducing while your peoples’ birth average is 1.66 per woman (that’s the U.N. taking). The British Mosques are bursting at the seams while your once great Anglican Churches would make a Soviet-era Orthodox Church look crowded. The Muslims throughout your country have promised to destroy Britain and you speak of terror-phobia in the U.S.? Continue to enjoy your anti-American newspapers (from which you get your talking points), soccer games, abortions, and pig masturbation on TV. Ignorance is bliss, I guess. If the British don’t wise up, by the end of the century, the Empire Under the Sun will be the Kingdom under the Crescent.

Interesting viewpoint. Well said. :gulp: