PDA

View Full Version : Attn POJO: Avon Lake football

twonabomber
12-03-2004, 07:05 PM
going for second straight title tonight.

Shoremen not short on team spirit
Avon Lake High and fans enjoying 2nd state title bid
Friday, December 03, 2004
Catherine Gabe
Plain Dealer Reporter

Avon Lake- The inflatable Grinch outside Debbie Dyer's home waves in the breeze, decked in a Shoremen championship jersey.

Dyer has lived in Avon Lake only four years, but she already has the spirit of a town whose public school football team has won 29 consecutive games and goes for its second straight state title tonight.

But just around the corner at the high school, the mood is tempered, a little ho-hum even. Caution and even superstition appear to rule. Best not to upset a winning formula. Football is serious business in this town of 18,145.

Aside from Lake Erie, nothing is bigger in Avon Lake than a football machine that has pumped out skilled and serious athletes for years. The program starts early with youth football mini-camps and continues through graduation, guaranteeing college scholarships for many players.

For weeks, the town has draped maroon and gold signs in grocery store windows and on yards.

The signs warn, "You've just entered Shoremen country." But at the high school Wednesday, students huddled quietly around lunch room tables in the commons area. The slogans chalked on windows - "Go Shoremen! Victory is Upon Us!" - were the only sign of rowdiness.

"There's excitement, but it's a not a clamor in the halls," Athletic Director Tom Barone said. "It's a low rumble that will blow all game long and after, when we celebrate."

Senior Mike Judge, nominated by the players as the school's Superfan, has been so anxious this week he has had a hard time eating.

"This has been a stressful week for me," Judge said. But today, Judge, the ball boy for playoff games, will be in his game day routine: He will wear the same jeans he always does, along with Adidas track shoes, a Shoremen playoff jersey and an Adidas wrist band, always on his left wrist. He will gobble down a Burger King Whopper Special - with cheese - and drive quietly to the game with the parents of player No. 54, Jack Rufus.

"We approach this like every other game," said Rufus, who plays offensive and defensive tackle. "It's nothing to get too excited about. It's the same field of 100 yards. No matter who we're playing, we have to be focused."

Maybe that explains why there's no pep rally before the team's departure. "We're not really a pep rally school," cheerleader Sadi Fox said, shrugging. School does end early today, however, so fans can convoy to the game.

"Our kids and players approach the game in a very businesslike manner," agreed Principal Timothy Freeman.

Last year, as a new principal, Freeman got his first sample of Shoremen pride just hours before the first home football game. He gazed into the late August sunshine as campers, trailers, lawn chairs and grills filled the parking lot. "My God, someone scheduled a swap meet on the same day," Freeman recalled thinking. "It looked like the outside at a Browns game, except without the beer and rowdiness."

Plenty of longtime residents still live in the growing town and happily share their high school glory days. Even Mayor Rob Berner, class of '82, sang the fight song. "I can't believe I'm doing this," said Berner who will head to the championship game.

Berner's political nemesis, Keith Davey, a civic activist who lost to Berner in the 2003 election, will be at the game, too. Davey and Berner have tussled over cell towers, taxes, a proposed rec center, and, lately, a residential tax abatement.

"When it comes to political issues, that is all put aside on Friday nights," said Davey, whose son, Scott, plays junior varsity. "That is Shoremen night for one night a week, where you forget other stuff."

Va Beach VH Fan
12-03-2004, 07:53 PM
You ever heard of a PM son ???

Sheesh.... ;)

POJO_Risin
12-03-2004, 07:58 PM
Fuck you my brother...

Avon Lake Football is the fucking shit...

Christ...they could probably beat Penn State...at this point...;)

Thanks for the update on my alma mater my brother...

you da' man twona...

for the first time in years...I hadn't paid attention to my shoremen's happenings...

usually I get updates throughout the year...didn't for some reason this year...lmfao...figures...coming off a state title and all...

Let me know how it goes Twona...

Va Beach VH Fan
12-03-2004, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by POJO_Risin
for the first time in years...I hadn't paid attention to my shoremen's happenings...

usually I get updates throughout the year...didn't for some reason this year...lmfao...figures...coming off a state title and all...

Let me know how it goes Twona...

Internet illiterate.... ;)

POJO_Risin
12-03-2004, 08:21 PM
There's something to take pride in VA...

I'M AN INTERNET LITERATE!!!!

nice...;)

twonabomber
12-04-2004, 04:22 AM
well, it didn't turn out so good, but 29 wins in a row is still impressive.

Cols. Brookhaven 42, Avon Lake 21

MASSILLON, Ohio (AP) — Avon Lake knew from watching film that Columbus Brookhaven had great team speed. Witnessing it in person, though, was another thing.

The Bearcats recovered a fumble to score on the opening kickoff and outran Avon Lake the rest of the way with a dominating 42-21 victory Friday night for their first Division II state championship.

"We have some fast guys, but they have some guys with speed I haven't really seen before," Avon Lake running back Bobby Doyle said.

Antoine Roberts ran for 155 yards and a touchdown and Alex Daniels added two rushing scores as Brookhaven (15-0) ended the Shoremen's 29-game win streak and denied them a second straight state championship.

"We're trying to figure out emotionally how to handle a situation like that because we haven't tasted defeat too many times," Avon Lake coach Dave Dlugosz said.

It was Brookhaven's first appearance in the finals after reaching the semifinals three other times. The Bearcats are the first school from the Columbus City League to win the state championship in football.

"This is for the people who wore the Bearcats jersey before us. This is for the people who wore any City League jersey," safety Dominic Jones said.

The Bearcats used a solid ground attack — rushing for 218 yards — and a few well-placed passes and trick plays to beat Avon Lake (14-1).

On defense, Jones, an Associated Press Mr. Football finalist, made several punishing hits to break up passes and tackle runners for losses.

"They're a good football team. They hit you," Avon Lake lineman Ian Pace said.

The versatile Jones, who runs a 4.29 in the 40-yard dash, also had an interception and ran for a first down on a fake punt.

"Dominic has been everywhere all year. It's gotten to the point where it may look exceptional to you guys, but we expect it from him," Brookhaven coach Tom Blake said.

Brookhaven allowed Doyle, the Division II offensive player of the year, to rush for 182 yards and a TD, but managed to slow an Avon Lake offense that entered averaging nearly 40 points a game.

Avon Lake's Mike Tift was 11-for-27 for 144 yards, two touchdowns and an interception.

On the opening kickoff, Idris Lawrence poked the ball loose from Andrew Means and Marvin Jones scooped up the fumble, taking it 4 yards into the end zone.

"In the state championship game, you don't want to start out seven-zip with 10 seconds off the clock," Dlugosz said.

Dominic Jones' 20-yard punt return and a facemask penalty gave Brookhaven the ball on the Avon Lake 26 to set up its second score. Michael McGee, who was 7-for-15 for 88 yards, connected with Anthony Harris for a 7-yard TD.

Brookhaven's quick 14 points were as many as Avon Lake had surrendered in any of its previous four tournament games.

"To jump out on the scoreboard like we did, I think shocked them and gave us an incredible amount of confidence," Blake said.

The Shoremen responded after back-to-back penalties pinned the Bearcats inside their 5 and Jones' 13-yard punt gave Avon Lake position at the Bearcats 17.

Trey Stross caught a 21-yard TD from Tift to make it 14-7 early in the second quarter.

Roberts set up Brookhaven's third TD on carries of 18, 3 and 45 yards. Daniels found a huge hole to take it 2 yards for the score.

On Brookhaven's next possession, Melvin Jackson scored on a 3-yard run on 4th down to complete a 12-play, 58-yard drive for a 28-7 lead.

Doyle quickly responded with a 74-yard TD run to make it 28-14 at halftime. Doyle came in with 2,592 yard rushing and 41 touchdowns.

Avon Lake opened the second half with a failed onside kick and Brookhaven came back with a trick play of its own.

McGee handed off to tight end Jeff Cumberland who rolled out and threw a 49-yard pass to Ryan Wallace. On the next play, Daniels got another huge hole for a 7-yard TD run.

"Tremendous size. Tremendous speed," Dlugosz said. "They got the turnovers and they got the big plays."

Va Beach VH Fan
12-04-2004, 09:06 AM
So this can be closed now, right ?? ;)

POJO_Risin
12-04-2004, 09:47 AM
Of course...poor help would have to answer that question...

Here's to the Shoreman...