PDA

View Full Version : Woman auctions father's ghost on eBay

Flash Bastard
12-05-2004, 01:29 AM
http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/internet/12/04/ghost.for.sale.ap/index.html

HOBART, Indiana (AP) -- A woman's effort to assuage her 6-year-old son's fears of his grandfather's ghost by selling it on eBay has drawn more than 34 bids with a top offer of $78.

Mary Anderson said she placed her father's "ghost" on the online auction site after her son, Collin, said he was afraid the ghost would return someday. Anderson said Collin has avoided going anywhere in the house alone since his grandfather died last year.

In a description titled "This isn't a joke," Anderson told Collin's story on eBay:

"I always thought it was just normal kid fears until a few months ago he told me why he was so scared. He told me 'Grandpa died here, and he was mean. His ghost is still around here!"'

Lest the boy's fears scare off potential bidders, Anderson added, "My dad was the sweetest most caring man you'd ever meet."

Some of the prospective buyers have posted their own messages.

"Your story brought tears to my eyes," one bidder said. "I just wonder how this will turn out for your son. I'm sure his Grandfather loved him very much."

Anderson also put her father's metal walking cane up for auction so she would have something to actually send the winning bidder. The proceeds from the auction will go to buy Collin a special present, she said.

Anderson makes one special request of the winner bidder: "I would like to ask you to write a letter after you've received the cane (and the ghost) to my son letting him know that he's there with you and you're getting along great."

The bidding is due to close Monday afternoon.

A message left with San Jose, California-based eBay Inc. in San Jose, California, was not immediately returned Saturday.

Flash Bastard
12-05-2004, 01:31 AM
As Elvis would say, "Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm......."

FORD
12-05-2004, 02:05 AM
E-bay has a strict policy against selling body parts. While the existence of a ghost is hard to prove or disprove, if it DOES exist, it would technically be a body part.

I also believe they have a policy against selling something that can't possibly be delivered. You can't ship a ghost by FedEx.

DeadEx maybe?

Flash Bastard
12-05-2004, 02:13 AM
It's the feel good story of the week until ebay cancels the auction Monday morning.

Ally_Kat
12-05-2004, 02:31 AM
But guys --

Originally posted by Flash Bastard
Anderson also put her father's metal walking cane up for auction so she would have something to actually send the winning bidder.

People sell haunted shit that supposidly carries the soul omf someone all the time on ebay

Dr. Love
12-05-2004, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by FORD
E-bay has a strict policy against selling body parts. While the existence of a ghost is hard to prove or disprove, if it DOES exist, it would technically be a body part.

I also believe they have a policy against selling something that can't possibly be delivered. You can't ship a ghost by FedEx.

DeadEx maybe?

No body, no part

lms2
12-05-2004, 03:11 PM
I think its sweet.

I also believe the boy knows more than the mom in this situation.

Call me crazy but kids are far more susceptible to this sort of psychic stuff than adults because we have not yet taught them not to believe.

I wonder how the old man feels about being sold?

TLR
12-05-2004, 07:19 PM
What about the jackass who actually BUYS this?

Igosplut
12-05-2004, 07:53 PM
Sorta what I was thinking......

lms2
12-05-2004, 07:58 PM
The jackass who buys this thing was suckered by momma's poor story. Probably has nothing else to do with his/her money, and will use the cane as a conversation piece. Possibly an older person who has no grandchildren of their own/few stories of thier own to tell?????

rustoffa
12-05-2004, 08:23 PM
People will buy ANYTHING if you set it up right.

Paranormal fabrications seem to work the best....this girlfriend of mine sold multiple shitty "in the box" porcelain dolls as haunted with the same "continually falling off the shelf" story.

Let me tell you....put anything lying around on there, someone will buy it.

I recently sold an eighteen dollar boat trailer fender on there for sixty dollars.

Flash Bastard
12-05-2004, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by rustoffa

I recently sold an eighteen dollar boat trailer fender on there for sixty dollars.

No kidding, I auctioned off 3 boxes of expired Polaroid film which fetched 48 bucks. It cost $25 new.

David Van Via
12-05-2004, 09:37 PM
Ebay stuff (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=20987&item=3766032266&rd=1)

I love the crazy shit you get on ebay!

TLR
12-05-2004, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by rustoffa
People will buy ANYTHING if you set it up right.

Paranormal fabrications seem to work the best....this girlfriend of mine sold multiple shitty "in the box" porcelain dolls as haunted with the same "continually falling off the shelf" story.

Maybe you should auction off that bag of stuff you left Ryan's with? It might fetch a few bucks. Everyone has worn used clothes before...

Flash Bastard
12-06-2004, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by David Van Via
Ebay stuff (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=20987&item=3766032266&rd=1)

I love the crazy shit you get on ebay!

LMFAO!

I love ebay.

lms2
12-06-2004, 05:41 PM
With just three hours left to run on the clock Monday, the highest bid was just shy of 15,000 dollars, according to the eBay website.

David Van Via
12-06-2004, 05:50 PM
So how much did this bad boy go for in the end?

bueno bob
12-06-2004, 07:06 PM
I'd buy it and sent it to Sammy Hagar's house. When he finally confronts the ghost in terror, screaming "WHAT ARE YOU??!?!?!?!?", all the while pissing his banana pants, the ghost could say it's his career.

Big Troubles
12-06-2004, 07:10 PM
Didn't someone just recently bottle a fart and put it up for auction? Or was that just a really bad embarassing dream?

:smoke2:

smaz
12-06-2004, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by Big Troubles
Didn't someone just recently bottle a fart and put it up for auction? Or was that just a really bad embarassing dream?

Hahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!