Aaron on Bonds: No matter what, it's wrong.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Warham
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Mar 2004

Aaron on Bonds: No matter what, it's wrong.

Once a supporter and admirer of Barry Bonds, all-time homerun king Hank Aaron is now disturbed to hear Bonds' statements to a grand jury investigating a California lab for illegal steroids distribution, The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reported Sunday.

Bonds testified to a grand jury that he used a clear substance and a cream given to him by a trainer who was indicted in a steroid-distribution ring, but Bonds said he didn't know they were steroids, according to the San Francisco Chronicle.

"First, since I played the game myself, I know that you can't put something in your body to make you hit a fastball, changeup or curveball," Aaron told the Journal-Constitution on Saturday.

"The only person who can do that is the good Lord. But, at that age [40], you have to ask: Did he accomplish all of this by rejuvenating his strength from day to day with those substances? I know that when you reach a certain age, you just don't bounce back as quickly as you think you can when you're playing all of those games.

"Drugs won't help you hit the ball. But can they make you recuperate consistently enough to hit the kind of home runs that these guys are hitting?"

Aaron paused, sighed and added, "Let me say this. Any way you look at it, it's wrong."

Is it wrong enough to keep Bonds out of the Hall of Fame or force baseball to place an asterisk next to Bonds' slew of records in recent years?

"Really, I can't argue that point, because it's something that everybody [in a decision making] position has to sit down and think about, especially since this new Bonds thing is shedding a whole different light on the issue," Aaron said. "Is this thing involving Barry Bonds in the same category as the guy who gambled on baseball?"

Aaron's reference was to Pete Rose's banishment from the game for betting on baseball as a manager. Then Aaron added with another sigh, "It's gotten so that, baseball gets off to a good start, and then, 'Bam.' Something sends it rocking and reeling. I just wish we could have about four or five years without experiencing any of this stuff."
  • POJO_Risin
    Roth Army Caesar
    • Mar 2003

We all knew Hank would have a thought on this...now didn't we...

A couple of thoughts stick out...

Originally posted by Warham
    "First, since I played the game myself, I know that you can't put something in your body to make you hit a fastball, changeup or curveball," Aaron told the Journal-Constitution on Saturday.
    He's giving him credit for being able to hit...which is good...

"The only person who can do that is the good Lord. But, at that age [40], you have to ask: Did he accomplish all of this by rejuvenating his strength from day to day with those substances? I know that when you reach a certain age, you just don't bounce back as quickly as you think you can when you're playing all of those games.

This is very true...and the problem with the effect of 'roids...obviously they've given him power past his due...or at the very least...given him the ability to acquire strength and bounce-back at a quicker pace than someone not on the stuff...

Is it wrong enough to keep Bonds out of the Hall of Fame or force baseball to place an asterisk next to Bonds' slew of records in recent years?

"Really, I can't argue that point, because it's something that everybody [in a decision making] position has to sit down and think about, especially since this new Bonds thing is shedding a whole different light on the issue," Aaron said. "Is this thing involving Barry Bonds in the same category as the guy who gambled on baseball?"

Aaron's reference was to Pete Rose's banishment from the game for betting on baseball as a manager. Then Aaron added with another sigh, "It's gotten so that, baseball gets off to a good start, and then, 'Bam.' Something sends it rocking and reeling. I just wish we could have about four or five years without experiencing any of this stuff."
    He asked the question...and I think the answer is yes...but who am I to decide...

and he's right...baseball is rocked every 3 or 4 years...and why?

it's leadership...

Selig needs to go...and when the fuck are they going to do SOMETHING ABOUT THAT?
    "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Comment

• Bob_R
      Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Good on you Hammerin' Hank.

Fuck you Barry! :fucku2:
      Talk Classic Rock - The Official Message Board For Classic Rock -- Now on XenForo!

Comment

• POJO_Risin
        Roth Army Caesar
        • Mar 2003

Christ...EVH is an Aussie...lmfao...

You know what's the pisser...

Bonds had a great career without the roids...

now it's nearly all questioned...even though it shouldn't be...

but it is...

hell...I'm questioning it...
        "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Comment

• blueturk
          Veteran
          • Jul 2004

Hank Aaron is exactly right on this one.
          Last edited by blueturk; 12-05-2004, 06:02 PM.

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
            ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
            • Dec 2003

Yup, props to Hank, well said....

Originally posted by Warham
            I know that when you reach a certain age, you just don't bounce back as quickly as you think you can when you're playing all of those games.
            Amen to that Hanker, amen to that....
            Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• POJO_Risin
              Roth Army Caesar
              • Mar 2003

C'mon Va...you are spry...and bouncy...like a freakin' 18 year old virgin bouncin' on a sea of cotton...

Nope...that just made you sound gay...

Comment

• ALinChainz
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Jan 2004

Hank didn't get much slack during his record chase, and he isn't about to allow any here.

Hammerin' Hank ... SAL-UTE.

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                  ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                  • Dec 2003

Originally posted by POJO_Risin
                  C'mon Va...you are spry...and bouncy...like a freakin' 18 year old virgin bouncin' on a sea of cotton...

Nope...that just made you sound gay...
                  Well, I try to stay in shape....

Wait a minute, no I don't....
                  Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

Working...