PDA

View Full Version : Henson released by Yankees

Va Beach VH Fan
02-02-2004, 09:51 PM
NFL-bound Henson will lose $12M in Yankees money

Feb. 2, 2004
SportsLine.com wire reports

NEW YORK -- Drew Henson has agreed to leave the New York Yankees to pursue a career in the NFL.

Henson's agent, Casey Close, told the Yankees the third baseman is quitting after three mediocre seasons in the minor leagues, a baseball official said Monday on the condition he not be identified.

Henson will forfeit the $12 million he is owed from the contract he agreed to with the Yankees in 2001, the official said.

The NFL's Houston Texans, who hold the quarterback's rights, announced Monday that Henson would work out with the team on Feb. 12 in a showcase for the other 31 NFL franchises.

The Texans drafted Henson with a sixth-round pick last April and already have a young, developing quarterback in David Carr.

"It's going to be open to every team in the NFL," Texans general manager Charley Casserly said. "Then, after that, we will find out what teams are interested and negotiate a trade."

Casserly said a trade could be made no earlier than March 4 and no later than April 24, when the NFL Draft starts.

Henson and the Yankees must still reach a termination agreement, the baseball official said. Henson would then be put on waivers, a process similar to the one in which Seattle removed reliever Kasuhiro Sasaki from the Mariners' roster last week, allowing him to return to the Japanese major leagues.

"It's quite possible Drew Henson will pursue a career in the NFL, and if that is the case, and after we work through all the issues, only then will we have something to announce from our end," Yankees general manager Brian Cashman said.

New York originally drafted the University of Michigan quarterback in 1998, then traded him to Cincinnati two years later. In March 2001, the Yankees reacquired Henson from the Reds for outfielders Michael Coleman and Wily Mo Pena, and Henson agreed not to return to Michigan for what would have been his senior season.

At the time the Yankees got him back, manager Joe Torre called Henson "a potential superstar."

But even after Aaron Boone's knee injury earlier this month, New York did not consider Henson to be a potential replacement.

Henson, who turns 24 later this month, hit .234 with 14 homers, 40 doubles and 78 RBI for Triple-A Columbus last season, striking out 122 times and making 28 errors at third base. He went 1-for-8 during a September callup with New York.

Henson's $17 million, six-year deal with the Yankees called for a $1 million signing bonus, salaries of $1 million in each of the first two seasons and $2 million in 2003.

He is scheduled to make $2.2 million in 2004, $3.8 million in 2005 and $6 million in 2006.

Close did not return telephone calls seeking comment.

ALinChainz
02-02-2004, 10:20 PM
He sees all the fun fellow U of M quarterback Tom Brady is having. Good move by the Texans, should get decent return on this investment.

Troy
02-02-2004, 10:59 PM
I thought this guy didn't want to play football? Was he that bad of a baseball player?

ALinChainz
02-02-2004, 11:10 PM
Striking out a ton. Hitting in the .230s I believe. We here in Michigan never did understand why he did it in the first place.

POJO_Risin
02-04-2004, 10:15 PM
He made Jordan look...

well...okay...He still made Jordan look bad...but that's not saying much...

Gmoney
02-04-2004, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan

Henson's $17 million, six-year deal with the Yankees called for a $1 million signing bonus, salaries of $1 million in each of the first two seasons and $2 million in 2003.

He is scheduled to make $2.2 million in 2004, $3.8 million in 2005 and $6 million in 2006.

$17 Million for a guy that will never play in the majors.....the Yankees are fucking nuts!!!

Little Texan
02-05-2004, 12:00 AM
I hope the Cowboys don't try to acquire his ass. They've already been down that road once, already, and it was a miserable failure. Chad Hutchinson, anyone?

Va Beach VH Fan
02-05-2004, 07:57 PM
The 'Burgh papers are saying now that the Stillers aren't going to pursue Henson....

Maybe it's just a ploy to drive the price down, but it doesn't surprise me....

ALinChainz
02-06-2004, 11:38 AM
I saw that too and I agree, anythings possible. They are still sending someone down to watch the workout, so there would have to be at least a shred of interest. Looks like the Steelers are going to release both runningbacks, so it seems like that would be foremost on their list, to me anyways.

High Life Man
02-06-2004, 02:21 PM
Henson was talking Favre up yesterday.

I bet he ends up in GB.

Mama's Fool
02-06-2004, 07:39 PM
Green Bay were one of the teams contacting Houston about what they wanted in a trade. If they don't get Henson, they are drafting a quarterback.

Va Beach VH Fan
02-07-2004, 02:31 PM
Well Kiper mentioned again today that the Stillers were still one of the teams....

I just don't know, they have so many needs this year....

But they need to address the QB situation soon, that's for sure...

Snake
02-13-2004, 02:24 AM
he's the next chad chutchchutchinsonson