PDA

View Full Version : Ireland - Residents and tourists share your thoughts.

Vivian Campbell
12-06-2004, 09:52 PM
Im looking for some opinions on Ireland from anyone who has visited or lives there. How is the culture, the people, government style, taxes, etc? I ask this because I am thinking about experiencing life outside of America, for a while, after I graduate college within a year and half. Ireland is the country Im most serious about because I suck at any language that isnt English, and I am of Irish ancestry. My grandfather was actually forced to leave the country for his anti-English activities during Irelands struggle for independence. It would be kind of cool to be the first of my family members to return to my ancestral birth place. Any way, Ill shut up now.

Fabulous Shadow
12-08-2004, 01:09 AM
I went there for a month some years back. My husband is from Ireland so we went back to visit family and toured the coast. It is a GREAT place to live if you can handle the slower pace of life. The people are much nicer than the ones I have met in the states. Life is much more "LAID BACK" and they definitly take care of their people better than they do here, which is one reason my husband never became a citizen here. It's a totally different lifestyle tho. Just last week Ireland was voted the BEST place to live in the world so that ought to tell you something. Just stay out of the North if you can because that is where the troubles usually arise.

FORD
12-08-2004, 01:17 AM
I thought Vivian Campbell WAS Irish? :confused:

http://abc.typepad.com/3blindmice/guinness.jpg

Fabulous Shadow
12-08-2004, 01:35 AM
Viv... Don't get fooled by the language. Most likely if you go, you will have a hard time understanding them too. Not to mention that they have some very odd slang and many things have different names there... here is some examples...

Chips here are potato chips, there they are French Fries, potato chips are called crisps.

A lolly pop here is candy on a stick, there it is a popsicle. A lolly pop is called a sweet.

Over here you may order a ham sandwich, there it is a ham bap.

Here we say "Get a grip", there they say "Catch yourself on"

A fanny there is what we call... a pussy

The list goes on and on...

David Van Via
12-08-2004, 06:47 AM
Ahhhh Guinness no matter what anybody says you haven't tasted it 'till you go to Ireland.

As for the place it's more relaxed you know go for a walk at 4 in the morning and all you see is a drunk who isn't going to do anything and maybe a kid going home from a late party.

The people are some of the most fun people but also some of the most caring people ever and they're always up for a laugh (have a drinking game with an Irishman you'll most likely lose).

As for taxes go here:
Irish taxes (http://www.finfacts.com/taxfacts.htm)

But if you went to Ireland you would have a laugh!

smaz
12-08-2004, 08:52 AM
My Mum and Dad went to Ireland once. They went to a shop and it had a sign in the window saying 'Gone for lunch. Back at 1'. That was at 2.30................ They're very laid back.

Seshmeister
12-08-2004, 12:32 PM
The negative points are it's expensive, it rains a lot, and you can't smoke in bars...:)

Ally_Kat
12-08-2004, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by Seshmeister
The negative points are it's expensive, it rains a lot, and you can't smoke in bars...:)

sounds like New York! (although I bet they get far more rain)

I had a friend from work who went on a trip to Ireland. She said that she was given a mug on Friday and was told not to let go of it all weekend. Then the small town commenced on the weekend drinking party.

Fabulous Shadow
12-08-2004, 02:55 PM
We toured the Guiness brewery. The smell there was unreal. When you buy your tickets to get in, they give you two tickets for two free pints of Guiness. We ended up sitting in the Guiness pub all day. The bartender never TAKES the tickets and they just keep um coming. :gulp:

We also toured the Bushmills brewery, that was cool because they sit you down and have you do a taste test. There are literally 20 shots of Whiskey in front of you. The funny thing is that my husband ended up picking the Scotch instead of the Irish! (Some Irishman, hehehe...)

I didn't know you couldn't smoke in bars there? That must be new because while I was there the bars we smoke caves. It was weird to go in to the bars there... The drinking age then was 16 and the pubs were full of kids! You could see they were enjoying the craic!

In Ireland going bar hopping is called a "pub crawl" Why? Cuz you usually end up crawling home...

Vivian Campbell
12-09-2004, 06:44 AM
Originally posted by Fabulous Shadow
I went there for a month some years back. My husband is from Ireland so we went back to visit family and toured the coast. It is a GREAT place to live if you can handle the slower pace of life. The people are much nicer than the ones I have met in the states. Life is much more "LAID BACK" and they definitly take care of their people better than they do here, which is one reason my husband never became a citizen here. It's a totally different lifestyle tho. Just last week Ireland was voted the BEST place to live in the world so that ought to tell you something. Just stay out of the North if you can because that is where the troubles usually arise.

It would be a helluva contrast from where I am now, NYC. Everyone is on speed here, myself included. You have to be walking at least 25 MPH when changing trains on the subway.

Originally posted by FORD
I thought Vivian Campbell WAS Irish? :confused:

http://abc.typepad.com/3blindmice/guinness.jpg

The real Viv is a dirty Protestant from the North! ;) I myself just found out that because my grand father was born in Ireland, I have a right to become a citizen.

All the info provided is appreciated thanks!

Fabulous Shadow
12-09-2004, 10:26 AM
Protestant? ACH! ;)

Fabulous Shadow
12-09-2004, 10:29 AM
Just in time for Vivians arrival...

IRA Willing to Disarm by Month's End
December 09, 2004 7:32 AM EST
BELFAST, Northern Ireland - The Irish Republican Army declared for the first time Thursday that it's willing to get rid of its entire weapons stockpile within weeks - but it won't allow anybody to photograph the disarmament.

The outlawed IRA made its new offer of speedy disarmament a day after the British and Irish governments published a detailed plan designed to revive a Catholic-Protestant administration, the intended cornerstone of the province's Good Friday peace accord of 1998.

The two diametrically opposed forces that would have to share power - the British Protestants of the Democratic Unionist Party and the Irish Catholics of Sinn Fein, the IRA-linked party - agree they are close to a historic pact.

But just as the IRA's longtime refusal to disarm has wrecked previous power-sharing pacts, its refusal to permit photos of its disarmament has become the deal-breaker this time.

All sides agreed Thursday that the IRA's latest commitments represent a stunning advance from 1997, when the underground organization halted its 27-year campaign against British rule, which left 1,800 dead and tens of thousands injured.

At that time, IRA activists plastered walls with the defiant slogan "Not a bullet, not an ounce." This meant the IRA would cling to its massive arsenal - largely supplied by Libya in the mid-1980s and hidden in underground bunkers - as its most valuable negotiating card.

In Thursday's statement, the IRA confirmed British and Irish claims that it was ready to play its ace - but also that its new slogan has effectively become: Not a photo.

The IRA's seven-man command said it has conditionally agreed to lead disarmament officials to all of its remaining weapons bunkers "speedily and, if possible, by the end of December."

It will allow two clergymen - one a Catholic priest approved by Sinn Fein, the other a Protestant nominated by the Democratic Unionists - to act as independent observers, another new commitment.

In other significant pledges, the IRA moved closer to demands for the group to fade away as part of a new power-sharing deal.

It said it would instruct its membership - estimated at less than 1,000 people organized in small units - "not to engage in any activity which might thereby endanger that new agreement."

But the IRA said it must reject one section in the Anglo-Irish plans published Wednesday:

- That the IRA should permit an internationally respected photographer to record the entire disarmament process;

- For these photos to be shown to leading Protestant politicians confidentially once Northern Ireland's legislature convened in January;

- And for the photos to be published in March on the same day that lawmakers elected a new administration led jointly by the Democratic Unionists and Sinn Fein.

The IRA said Democratic Unionist leader Ian Paisley "demanded that our contribution be photographed, and reduced to an act of humiliation. This was never possible."

Sinn Fein chairman Mitchel McLaughlin said Protestants instead must accept as sufficient the IRA's offer of independent witnesses.

"The photographs have been ruled out and we should just accept that as (being) a bridge too far," McLaughlin said.

But the Democratic Unionists declared its readiness for a protracted standoff if the IRA doesn't budge on permitting photos.

"If there is going to be an impasse over decommissioning, then it could go on for a long time," said Democratic Unionist negotiator Jeffrey Donaldson. "Republicans are going to have to revise their position."

The British and Irish governments agreed that IRA disarmament must be sufficiently "transparent" for the public, particularly the Protestant majority, to support power-sharing with Sinn Fein.

Britain's governor for Northern Ireland, Paul Murphy, said he understood Sinn Fein-IRA worries that Paisley could use photos to rub the movement's nose in surrender claims.

"At the same time," Murphy said, "unless we are able to give confidence to people throughout the whole of Northern Ireland that decommissioning has happened, then this simply isn't going to work."

Seshmeister
12-09-2004, 11:14 AM
I found out last night, from my biz partner who is moving there, that a very small new 2 bedroom apartment in the best area in Dublin is going for around $750 000 at the moment.

As I said it's insanely expensive just now for whatever reason.

Cheers!

:gulp:

Seshmeister
12-09-2004, 11:16 AM
Oh and terrorism is not an issue in Ireland anymore.

In fact it is probably the safest place in the world because Al Queda would never take on all their security when everywhere else is much easier.

Cheers!

Fabulous Shadow
12-09-2004, 11:49 AM
I found out last night, from my biz partner who is moving there, that a very small new 2 bedroom apartment in the best area in Dublin is going for around $750 000 at the moment.

Cheers!

Hmmm... Is that pounds or dollars???

Apartment For Sale in Dublin, Ireland
Luxury Apartment On 18 Hole Golf Course
Asking Price: 350,000 (Negotiable)

Luxury two bedroom two bath apartment in exclusive gated community in Dublin city. The apartment comprises of 2 double bedrooms with fitted wardrobes and master ensuite. Both bathrooms are fully fitted and have marble floors. There is a large lounge cum dining area with doors leading onto the south facing patio. The cherry wood kitchen has fully integrated applicances to be included in the sale. This is an end/corner unit allowing for extra privacy.

Category: Apartments
Address: Tassagard Green
Blessington
Dublin
Co
Ireland
For Sale By: Owner
Construction Year: 2000
Area: 1,100 Sq. Ft
Bedrooms: 2
Bathrooms: 2
Sleeps: 4
Stories: 1
Parking Spaces: 1

Fabulous Shadow
12-09-2004, 11:52 AM
SHIT! Check this out...

Quality Rental Properties In Ireland
Asking Price: $3,500 USD (Negotiable)

Brighton Road, Foxrock is a tudor style family home in this exclusive South Dublin location.

Available for Rental @ $3500 per month (minimum 12 months)

http://www.viviun.com/data/properties/images/1485-697-1C9VGD21KK.jpg??120643

Seshmeister
12-09-2004, 12:02 PM
Hmmm... Is that pounds or dollars???

The biggest clue was in my use of a '$' sign you bipolar fuckwit...:)

Fabulous Shadow
12-09-2004, 03:24 PM
The biggest clue was in my use of a '$' sign you bipolar fuckwit...:)

OH SORRY Mutherfucker... I missed that. But thanks for taking the time to clear it up for me. :rolleyes:

Another bitter Scottishman... Go Figure...

Vivian Campbell
12-10-2004, 01:41 PM
SHIT! Check this out...

Quality Rental Properties In Ireland
Asking Price: $3,500 USD (Negotiable)

Brighton Road, Foxrock is a tudor style family home in this exclusive South Dublin location.

Available for Rental @ $3500 per month (minimum 12 months)

http://www.viviun.com/data/properties/images/1485-697-1C9VGD21KK.jpg??120643

Whoa, that is F'n swank. You got a good eye Fab. $3,500 isn't a bad deal for that place considering the fact that my family is paying $1,500 for a JUNIOR 4 Room Apartment in Brooklyn NY. Seriously, it's a dump and the bed rooms would make Webster feel cramped.

I am going to put myself in the Irish citizenry registry next week. The website said that it takes about a year to certify my claim. Which is fine by me since I need to finish up college. I would like to get my masters there, but I am concerned that a degree from Europe might not be recognized by academic institutions here.

Vivian Campbell
12-10-2004, 01:45 PM

Cheers!

That about the same pricing you'll find in certain areas of NY. Most of these place are dumps, but the yuppies in this country will pay anything to live near Manhattan.

Fabulous Shadow
12-10-2004, 09:42 PM
Hey Viv, I got family there who can help ya out if need be.
They live in Belfast and are very kind people.

rustoffa
12-10-2004, 11:02 PM
Have they turned Maze prison into flats yet?
:D

Vivian Campbell
12-14-2004, 08:16 AM
Hey Viv, I got family there who can help ya out if need be.
They live in Belfast and are very kind people.

That's very kind of you to offer Fab.

Look at this new area they are building. Looks good.

http://www.unison.ie/images_papers/news/41/11812/pictures/326807.jpg

http://www.unison.ie/images_papers/news/41/11812/pictures/326805.jpg

From www.unison.ie

THIS is a glimpse of a new 4.5bn 'mini-city' taking shape in the heart of Dublin's docklands this week.

It will have all the facilities of neighbourhoods like Ballsbridge in fashionable Dublin 4 catering for more than 3,000 householders, say the developers.

CIE which owns the 51-acre site on the south docks stands to make up to 300m from the deal.

The original plan for Spencer Dock, a controversial Manhattan-style skyline with skyscrapers soaring to 30 or more storeys, was thrown out by Bord Pleanala.

The new plan is restricted to 11-storey buildings to conform with the Dublin Docklands master plan and work finally gets underway this week.

The Spencer Dock Development Group, comprising Treasury Holdings and Point Theatre owner Harry Crosbie, yesterday insisted that skyscrapers of at least 32 storeys should have been permitted.

The development , located on the north docks on the CIE-owned site between the IFSC and the Point, will have 3,000 apartments, with 27 penthouses costing up to 3.5m each.

In addition there will be almost 200 social and affordable apartments which the developers are handing over to the city council to sell at a price to be set for those who qualify.

The tallest building will be 11 storeys, the rest will range from 7 to 8 storeys.

The basement foundations are being laid this week spanning an area three times the size of Croke Park.

CIE gets 20pc of the profits - up to 300m according to the developers.

The development will have 2.5 million square feet of offices as well as shops, bars, restaurants and a 2.5 acre central square plaza. They expect up to 6,000 people to be living there and a further 5,000 working when its finished in ten years time.

The first 500 apartments were sold out in just three days, straight off the plans with no showhouse built.

The consortium also revealed they will be bidding in the tender process for the National Conference Centre on their site, for which they have full planning permission, the only element of the original plan which survived.

John Bruder, Treasury Holdings property director, said the project designed by Scott, Tallon Walker architects, would be similar to recreating Ballsbridge or Donnybrook in a whole new high quality urban neighbourhood for the 21st century.

"This is a new city quarter. There will be five to six thousand people living here and they will have the full range of services," he added. "It will be a high quality posh area in which to reside and a prime location for office buildings."

Mr Bruder said they had argued unsuccessfully for changes relaxing restrictions on tall buildings in certain strategic locations including Spencer Dock during a review of the docklands master plan.

"We believe there is scope for one-off buildings up to 32 storeys. If you look at the IFSC there is a uniformity of building and that is boring. Spencer Dock should have had at least one seriously tall building," he said.

"We would argue very strongly that in some specific areas it is not only defensible but also good that tall buildings are allowed."

The first phase of the massive project, 600 apartments, 190 social and affordable apartments, the headquarters for PriceWaterhouse Coopers, 300,000 sq ft of offices, and the central square, is due to be completed by 2007.

Treacy Hogan
Environment Correspondent

Figuring it out

It will cost 4.5bn to build. The developers are the Spencer Dock Development company, a consortium of Treasury Holdings and Point Theatre owner Harry Crosbie.

There will be 3,000 apartments, shops, pubs, offices, and possibly a new National Conference Centre.

Some 27 penthouses will cost between 2m and 3.5m each.

There will be 190 social and affordable apartments with prices yet to be determined.

guwapo_rocker
12-14-2004, 04:41 PM
Ireland rocks!

Fabulous Shadow
12-14-2004, 05:42 PM
Geeze... Doesn't even look like Ireland. It's kind of sad actually.

Reverberator
12-14-2004, 06:52 PM
Fuck the Paddy's .

Bombed the shit out of Blighty for years .

Tarmaced drives atroiciously .

killed shitloads of British soildiers .

TERRORISTS .

All on Yank money .

fucking smashing .

Nickdfresh
12-14-2004, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by Reverberator
Fuck the Paddy's .

Bombed the shit out of Blighty for years .

Tarmaced drives atroiciously .

killed shitloads of British soildiers .

TERRORISTS .

All on Yank money .

fucking smashing .

Hey now! You guys gave as good as you got there Bloody Sunday!

http://www.margencero.com/Magazine/sunday/arrestos_durante_la_protesta_del_bloody_sunday.jpg

Reverberator
12-14-2004, 08:03 PM
Tut tut .

And you deserved 9/11 ?

Nickdfresh
12-14-2004, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by Reverberator
Tut tut .

And you deserved 9/11 ?

I didn't say ANYONE DESERVED ANYTHING. I merely pointed out that Northern Ireland cannot be framed in black and white terms.

You can't totally blame the Nationalist Irish for all the violence when there are Unionists that actually started the latest round of violence in the late sixties by abducting Catholics and murdering them in serial-killer fashion. What were Republicans supposed to do, light themselves on fire in protest?

rustoffa
12-14-2004, 08:13 PM
The IRA was in bed with everyone.

The dirty protest was reprehensible!

Gimme a T!
Gimme a U!

Whaddaya got?

Terrorist U!

*KA-BOOM*!

Nickdfresh
12-14-2004, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by rustoffa
The IRA was in bed with everyone.

The dirty protest was reprehensible!

Gimme a T!
Gimme a U!

Whaddaya got?

Terrorist U!

*KA-BOOM*!

I don't disagree.

But don't mention the IRA and leave out the UDA, secret British Military Intelligence Units, as-well-as collusion between the UDR & RUC and Unionist death squads.

I'm not shouting "Up the IRA," I am merely pointing out that a nasty shitty conflict took place in N. Ireland and England, and it is not a 'black and white'--'evil vs. good' issue.

rustoffa
12-14-2004, 08:32 PM
Me niether.

I was being compu-letely neutral.

There's tons other variables as well.

I'm tapping out.

Fuck politics....when the fuck does the Soupy Sales show come on.....