PDA

View Full Version : Guys from damageplan(Pantera) shot & Killed tonight

S9Dallas
12-09-2004, 12:52 AM
At Least 3 Dead, 4 Wounded In Nightclub Shooting
Witnesses: Alleged Gunman Went Onto Stage, Fired Shots

POSTED: 10:32 pm EST December 8, 2004
UPDATED: 11:36 pm EST December 8, 2004

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- At least three people died and four others were wounded after a shooting at a Columbus nightclub on Wednesday night, NBC 4 reported.

The shooting took place shortly after 10 p.m. at Alrosa Villa, located at 5055 Sinclair Road.

Two members of the heavy metal band Damageplan were reportedly shot and killed, including Dimebag Darrell, formerly with the band Pantera, NBC 4's David Wayne reported. The alleged gunman also died at the scene, Wayne reported.

Shortly after the band began playing its first song, a man reportedly ran onto the stage and began shooting, according to a witness who identified himself as Sean. Some members of the audience reportedly thought the man running onto the stage with a gun was part of the band's act, NBC 4's Erin Tate reported.

Witnesses said that several shots were fired at the band. Witnesses said that a bouncer at the club tackled the alleged gunman before that person was shot and killed. It was unclear as to whom shot the alleged gunman.

Alrosa Villa is a popular north Columbus nightspot for young adults, featuring rock and heavy metal bands, NBC 4 reported.

According to the band's Web site, Damageplan was touring nationally. It performed in Buffalo, N.Y., on Tuesday night and had a concert scheduled in Flint, Mich., on Thursday.

Damageplan featured former Pantera artists Dimebag Darrell and Vinnie Paul. The pair were joined by vocalist Patrick Lachman and bassist Bobzilla, according to their Web site.

Watch NBC 4 and refresh nbc4i.com for additional information.

Brett
12-09-2004, 01:34 AM
Pretty fucked up.

RIP DD.

FORD
12-09-2004, 02:03 AM
24 years to the day that John Lennon was murdered by a fucking coward in front of his own home, and some asshole can still walk into a concert with a goddamned gun. Fucking pathetic :(

Brett
12-09-2004, 02:08 AM
They don't check people in those dumb small clubs. Fucking lame.

Fabulous Shadow
12-09-2004, 02:18 AM
:( wow...

RIP DD
August 20, 1966 - December 8, 2004

The Alexster666
12-09-2004, 02:29 AM
did vinnie paul die too?

Brett
12-09-2004, 02:32 AM
Doesn't sound like it so far.

The Alexster666
12-09-2004, 02:33 AM
thank god. rip DB. Longlive Power Metal and I am the night!!!

FORD
12-09-2004, 02:34 AM
There were early reports of another band member killed, but no names have been released yet.

Panamark
12-09-2004, 02:34 AM
FARK !!

That sucks.

Brett
12-09-2004, 02:36 AM
Sounds like the singer was killed too.

Fabulous Shadow
12-09-2004, 02:37 AM
isn't Vinnie Paul DD's brother?

FORD
12-09-2004, 02:38 AM
Gunman kills 4 at Ohio nightclub
Police officer shoots suspect to death

Thursday, December 9, 2004 Posted: 2:12 AM EST (0712 GMT)

COLUMBUS, Ohio (CNN) -- A gunman opened fire Wednesday night during a heavy metal concert in Columbus, killing four people -- including at least one member of the band -- and critically wounding at least two others before a police officer shot and killed him, according to Columbus police.

The attacker leapt onstage as the group, Damageplan, performed, and began "targeting members in the band," Sgt. Brent Mull said.

Two others were injured in the incident, although the nature of their injuries was not clear.

According to eyewitness accounts, the gunman initially shot and killed the band's guitarist, Dimebag Darrell. Darrell, 38, and his brother, Vinnie Paul, 40, are former members of Pantera -- a group they formed in the 1980s. Their father is Jerry Abbott, a country and western songwriter and producer.

Police were notified of the shooting at the Alrosa Villa nightclub on the city's north end around 10:18 p.m. ET, Mull said. A uniformed police officer who was in the area slipped into the venue from a back entrance, confronted the gunman during the rampage and killed him.

"If not for the officer who showed up, there would have been more dead," Mull said.

Police have roped off a huge area of the nightclub's parking lot, as 60 detectives question hundreds of witnesses. Police have brought in buses to keep the witnesses warm as they wait to be questioned.

Calvin Bota said he saw the shooting from the mosh pit right in front of the stage, shortly after the band began playing.

"Somebody came -- I don't know where they came from, out of the audience or whatnot -- but they come onto (the) stage and ... he shot the guitarist at first, fired a couple of other shots and then he hid behind the stage a little bit," Bota told WSYX.

"Everybody started scattering, you know, there's mayhem everywhere. And then a police officer came into the building, you know, came in professional with his gun raised and then he proceeded to shoot the guy."

Gerald Caudill told WSYX the gunman shot the guitarist at least four times.

"I was up close to the stage and I just saw some guy run up on the side of the stage and I heard some shots and I saw (drummer) Vinnie Paul and somebody jumped on top of Vinnie, and the guy just stayed around the stage and started shooting other people," Caudill said.

"I saw wounded people all over the place, out in the parking lot, inside," he said. "It just didn't sound like gunshots or anything, it didn't occur to me that something like that was happening."

CNN Producer Steve Brusk in Columbus contributed to this report.

Brett
12-09-2004, 02:39 AM
Originally posted by Fabulous Shadow
isn't Vinnie Paul DD's brother?

Yeap.

The Alexster666
12-09-2004, 02:41 AM
is Vinnie dead or not!! this is real important

Snake
12-09-2004, 02:41 AM
They both went to my high school.

This is very sad for me

Brett
12-09-2004, 02:42 AM
Originally posted by The Alexster666
is Vinnie dead or not!! this is real important

So far no man.

Flash Bastard
12-09-2004, 02:44 AM
edit

Fabulous Shadow
12-09-2004, 02:47 AM
I hope it's not Vinnie... Shit could you imagine what that'd be like for the Abbot family...

Brett
12-09-2004, 02:50 AM
I would say pretty fucking devastating. This is bad enough to watch your brother get murdered right in front of your eyes.

Snake
12-09-2004, 02:50 AM
dimebag was the nicest guy in the world

he was always at the bars in the area raising all sorts of hell

Brett
12-09-2004, 02:53 AM
Even if he wasn't, nobody should die like that. Awful tragedy.

bueno bob
12-09-2004, 02:58 AM
Holy fuck, this is actually LEGIT?

Oh man...I thought it was a bullshit post earlier...

Holy shit...man I feel like a turd.

Rest easy, DD - you won't be forgotten, bro. :)

Snake
12-09-2004, 02:58 AM
he should be a legend

he could play eruption better than eddie

bueno bob
12-09-2004, 02:59 AM
Well....LOTS of people can play Eruption better than Eddie :)

I've got a few bootlegs of Criss Oliva to let you hear...lol

Snake
12-09-2004, 03:03 AM
true

but criss oliva would never buy me shots of seagrams

bueno bob
12-09-2004, 03:06 AM
Originally posted by Snake
true

but criss oliva would never buy me shots of seagrams

True. Criss was pretty protective of his booze, lmao.

So what's the deal, was the other guy Vinnie? The post in Main says so.

Brett
12-09-2004, 03:08 AM
Not so far.

bueno bob
12-09-2004, 03:08 AM
Just pulled this off of BWBK...

DAMAGEPLAN - Dimebag Darrel Confirmed Dead [Hot Flashes - 04.12.09 01:20:03]

As previously reported by www.nbc.41.com in Columbus, Ohio, at least three people died and four others were wounded after a shooting at shortly after 10:00p.m. at Alrosa Villa, located at 5055 Sinclair Road. Two members DAMAGEPLAN were reportedly shot and killed, including guitarist Dimebag Darrell, formerly with the band PANTERA.The alleged gunman also died at the scene.

It has now been confirmed that a gunman did indeed run on stage during the beginning of Damageplan's set. Dimebag Darrel was shot and killed, as was the band's tour manager. The gunman was shot and killed by a police officer.

Cincinnati's WCPO-TV spoke to Columbus resident Chris Couch, 22, who says the shooting occurred about 30 seconds after Damageplan began their set. Couch, who was standing about 30 feet away from the stage, claims a man wearing a hooded sweatshirt and hockey jersey walked up to the stage. He was followed by a bouncer and another club employee. According to Couch the man climbed onto the stage, started yelling and shot the guitarist five or six times at close range. The gunman also shot a bouncer, who pulled him off the musician.

NBC affiliate WCMH 4 TV has posted a video report on this senseless tragedy at this location. It includes an eyewitness account.

Big Train
12-09-2004, 03:11 AM
That fucking sucks and really angers me. These motherfucking wackos who want to be "known" for something in their pathetic lives. Dimebag was a great musician and both Damageplan and Pantera were great bands. It is sad that we live in a world where these fucking losers can do such acts.

May god give them peace and Dimebag I'll see ya upstairs...

Snake
12-09-2004, 03:12 AM
what a fucking sick fuck

bueno bob
12-09-2004, 03:13 AM
Totally fucked up. Pantera was never one of my favorite bands, but I always had a good, healthy respect for what they were doing and for DD's talent with a guitar.

What a crazy world we live in.

Brett
12-09-2004, 03:14 AM
Like 'em or not "Vulgar Display of Power" was a kickass album.

bueno bob
12-09-2004, 03:18 AM
Originally posted by Brett
Like 'em or not "Vulgar Display of Power" was a kickass album.

That album litterally blew up my CD player! True story!

I bought it on a whim, had never heard of Pantera before, put it in my disk tray, pressed play, and all the electronics shorted out and the God damn thing started smoking!

I thought to myself, "This must be some POOOOOWERFUL shit indeed"...lol

Snake
12-09-2004, 03:24 AM
They were a texas band so who the fuck in ohio would want to do shit like this!?

Brett
12-09-2004, 03:25 AM
Pretty sure Pantera had fans outside of Texas dude. ;)

Funny story Bob.

bueno bob
12-09-2004, 03:27 AM
My brother in law is going to have to take work off tomorrow...Pantera was one of his favorites, I know he's gonna shit hardcore over this...

Fack...

Snake
12-09-2004, 03:29 AM
Originally posted by Brett
Pretty sure Pantera had fans outside of Texas dude. ;)

Funny story Bob.

u miss the point

Brett
12-09-2004, 03:29 AM
The point is there are crazy fans all over the place.

bueno bob
12-09-2004, 03:30 AM
What I don't get is this: why would the dude be pissed at DD for splitting up Pantera? Wasn't that more of Phil's doing than anything else?

bueno bob
12-09-2004, 03:31 AM
Essentially, why did he choose to target Damageplan and not Superjoint Ritual, or one of the 800 other bands Phil's got going at any given time? I don't know, I'm just wondering if something else was at work somewhere, or if the guy was just plain batshit?

Snake
12-09-2004, 03:34 AM
Originally posted by bueno bob
Essentially, why did he choose to target Damageplan and not Superjoint Ritual, or one of the 800 other bands Phil's got going at any given time? I don't know, I'm just wondering if something else was at work somewhere, or if the guy was just plain batshit?

Thats pretty much my point.

Phil is an asshole

But its obviously not something anyone can make sense of

bueno bob
12-09-2004, 03:38 AM
Well, I just saw a video feed and this "Chris" guy that everybody's talking about was on it...said that the guy jumped on stage, started yelling at DD about something (the "breaking up Pantera" thing, I guess) and put about 5 bullets into him.

What a sad night.

Coyote
12-09-2004, 07:45 AM
RIP, Dime. :(

*Pantera - Revolution Is My Name* (at full blast, motherfuckers.)

ODShowtime
12-09-2004, 08:23 AM
Revolution Is My Name indeed. One of the few songs that STILL gives me the chills. That sick fucker. May you rot in hell along with everyone else whose taken someone gifted from this earth before their time.

fucking fuck

BRANDON
12-09-2004, 09:53 AM
GOD BLESS YOU DIMEBAG

Diver Down NJ
12-09-2004, 10:15 AM
Sad, just sad. : (

FORD
12-09-2004, 10:36 AM
Well, at least they finally clarified that no other band members were killed. Apparently 2 fans were though, which sucks just as bad. Nobody should die at a fucking concert.

Matt White
12-09-2004, 10:48 AM
Utterly tragic.

The Alexster666
12-09-2004, 10:58 AM
"The reverend he turned to me
Without a tear in his eyes
It's nothing new for him to see
I didn't ask him why
I will remember
The love our souls had
Sworn to make
Now I watch the falling rain
All my mind can see
Now is your face

Well I guess
You took my youth
I gave it all away
Like the birth of a
New found joy
This love would end in rage
And when she died
I couldn't cry
The pride within my soul
You left me incomplete
All alone as the
Memories now unfold

Believe the word
I will unlock my door
And pass the
Cemetary gates

Sometimes when I'm alone
I wonder aloud
If you're watching over me
Some place far aboud
I must reverse my life
I can't live in the past
Then set my soul free
Belong to me at last
Through all those
Complex years
I thought I was alone
I didn't care to look around
And make this world my own
And when she died
I should've cried and spared myself some pain...
Left me incomplete
All alone as the memories still remain..."

REST IN PEACE..

ALTHOUGH YOU ARE GONE, LONG LIVE POWER METAL AND COWBOYS FROM HELL.....
-ALEXSTER

ghostrider
12-09-2004, 10:58 AM
THis is a great site to pay tribute the "DIME" he always said wonderful things about the original VH and his playing showed that. He was one of the last great guitar heroes! The metal scene will truly miss him!

nosuchluck
12-09-2004, 12:07 PM
i'm in shock...
R.I.P

Diamondjimi
12-09-2004, 10:09 PM
I'm sickened ,I'm numb ,And fuckin pissed off !!!
We've lost The Eddie Van Halen of Metal ! Dime was a true original !
His music, riffs and energy will continue to inspire legions of musicians and heavy music fans for many tears to come. No doubt. he's tradin licks with Randy ,Jimi & Stevie Ray ..........
I was fortunate to meet him at a music industry convention (N.A.M.M.) in Anaheim Ca. in 1993. He was signing stuff at a guitar magazine booth. He was a really warm down to earth guy who cared a lot about his fans. (Shemp & Ed should take note).
Only a selfish , pathetic coward piece of shit could/would commit a horrific crime like this. The motherfucker was lucky the police took him out .!!!

Rest in Peace Dime !

Diamondjimi
12-09-2004, 10:12 PM
Long live the one and only TRENDKILLER........ D.D.

Hecubus
12-09-2004, 11:02 PM
I heard the news this morning on the way to work & nearly drove off of the road.

What an enormous tragedy. Hopefully his brother is ok.

RIP, Dime.