PDA

View Full Version : Don Was: Jagger, Richards Sizzling in Paris Studio

ODShowtime
12-10-2004, 09:08 AM
Thu Dec 9, 7:59 PM ET Entertainment - Reuters

By Christopher Walsh

NEW YORK (Billboard) - The Rolling Stones recently concluded recording sessions for a new album in Paris with producer Don Was, who worked with them on their two previous studio releases.

The band will reconvene in the New Year for additional sessions for an album tentatively due in summer 2005, Was told Billboard.com.

Was described the Stones' new music as considerably different from their recent releases, such as 1997's "Bridges to Babylon" and 1994's "Voodoo Lounge."

"Mick (Jagger) and Keith (Richards) are writing songs together in a collaborative fashion that probably hasn't been seen since the late '60s," he said. "I would say that longtime fans of the Rolling Stones will be thrilled with these results, and new fans will understand why they're the greatest rock'n'roll band in the world."

Was recalled sessions in which Jagger and Richards composed spontaneously, sometimes with Richards playing bass and Jagger on drums.

"He's a great drummer," Was confided. "He's also playing a lot of guitar, and he's a really good guitar player. He's been playing bass on some things, (and) Keith is playing bass on some things. They're just great -- there's a reason that they've been the Rolling Stones for so long.

"And they can do it four times a day, every day," Was said of the pair's writing sessions, "and they're really good songs. I've never seen anything like it."

Drummer Charlie Watts (news), who was recently treated for throat cancer, also attended the Paris sessions and is in excellent health, Was said. "And he's playing like a lion," he adds.

In 2002, the Stones recorded at Studios Guillaume Tell, also in Paris, with Was and engineer Ed Cherney. Four of the songs recorded there are featured on the 2-disc "40 Licks" compilation released in 2002. Additional material recorded at those sessions may appear on the Stones' next album, said Was, "but this all seems to be of a piece so far, and is substantially different than anything I've worked on with them. It's really collaborative.

"It's not done," Was added. "We can still f--- it up a thousand different ways, you know? But what I'm hearing now is very much in the great Stones tradition."

Was has been active throughout 2004, producing the Stones' two-disc "Live Licks" set released last month, as well as upcoming albums by Solomon Burke, Jessie Coulter and Kris Kristofferson (news), the latter recorded specifically for release in a surround-sound format.

Meanwhile Don has regrouped with David Was to lead their R&B project Was (Not Was) through a 12-city tour launching Dec. 27 at House of Blues in Anaheim, Calif. The tour will mark the first performance of the group in 13 years.

Reuters/Billboard

This might be cool. They usually muster a good tune or two per album now adays. I liked 'Any Body Seen My Baby.'

DLR7884
12-10-2004, 10:08 AM
Always good to hear that the Stones are doing well.

DLR7884
Can't wait to hear the new album!

rustoffa
12-10-2004, 10:13 AM
Good news!
Gotta love Keef.....

loss of fools
12-10-2004, 10:25 AM
long live the stones!

FORD
12-10-2004, 10:36 AM
Hmmm..... recording in Paris.... Mick playing a lot of guitar..... sounds like a few "Some Girls" parallels here.

And let's hope the album is that good ;)

Let a bunch of senior citizens show the current pathetic musical "establishment" how shit gets done. I'm all for it!

VHII
12-11-2004, 12:13 AM
wow, i cant wait for this, im pumped because they havent had anything studio in awhile

FORD
12-11-2004, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by VHII
wow, i cant wait for this, im pumped because they havent had anything studio in awhile

Yeah, I had to think about it for a couple minutes, but the last studio album was actually 1997.

And with this one coming out in 2005, that puts the Stones into "Boston" territory. Pretty bad for a band who averaged 2 studio albums a year in the 60's and one a year in the 70's.

BrownSound1
12-11-2004, 01:49 PM
The Stones kick ass....'nuff said.

twonabomber
12-11-2004, 02:03 PM
they need to dump Don Was.

Lou
12-11-2004, 02:50 PM
At this point with the Stones, anything they put out is a bonus for the fans. They have nothing to prove and they don't owe us anything.

Let's just hope that this music better than Mick's latest solo albums, "Dogshit in the Doorway" and whatever the new album is with that boring "Old Habits Die Hard" song.

FORD
12-11-2004, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by Lou
At this point with the Stones, anything they put out is a bonus for the fans. They have nothing to prove and they don't owe us anything.

Let's just hope that this music better than Mick's latest solo albums, "Dogshit in the Doorway" and whatever the new album is with that boring "Old Habits Die Hard" song.

Mick did another solo album? :confused:

Yeah, I wasn't that impressed with "Doorway" either, and I'm the biggest Stones fan on the planet. But Wandering Spirit was a great album.

FORD
12-11-2004, 04:03 PM
Here we go.... it seems that Mick and Dave Stewart of the Eurythmics collaborated on some movie soundtrack.....

Rolling Stone (p.110) - 4 stars out of 5 - '[W]ith freshly minted Swinging London soul....This is how to make a soundtrack.'

Stereo. Studio recording.

Anyone hearing 'Blind Leading the Blind' or 'Old Habits Die Hard' might assume that they were listening to outtakes from the Rolling Stones' 1971 album STICKY FINGERS. In fact, the songs are from 2004's ALFIE soundtrack, primarily a collaboration between Stones vocalist Mick Jagger and producer/Eurythmics mastermind Dave Stewart. What makes the Jagger-sung tracks reminiscent of his older work is their loose, organic feel and simple acoustic guitar/bass/drums/piano instrumentation. The legendary artist is also showcased on several instrumental pieces in his capacity as harmonica player, contributing raw, edgy work reminiscent of his formative years on the London blues scene. Elsewhere, Stewart leaves the lead vocals to younger folks, including a stirring Joss Stone rendition of Burt Bacharach's title song from the original ALFIE film, and the showy, soul revue-style 'Darkness of Your Love,' delivered by ex-Parliment/Funkadelic member Gary 'Mudbone' Cooper.

Hmmm... I may have to check this out afterall. Mick & Joss Stone? that should be an interesting duet.

(For those who haven't heard of her, Joss is a 16 year old British girl who sings like a young Aretha Franklin. Definitely no Titney Spears clone there.)

VHII
12-11-2004, 04:33 PM
im ready for it, i go tthe new live cd and i think its pretty good cause of its rare songs, my favorite Rocks Off is on it

Atomic_Rob
12-12-2004, 11:14 AM
From what I've heard of the Live Licks, it sounds pretty sweet. Be interesting to hear the new material.

Very good news about Charlie, can't wait for the next tour!

ODShowtime
12-17-2004, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by Lou

I respectfully beg to differ Lou. They owe us that fuckin' 1972 concert movie, in 5.1 surround on DVD, preceded by a roll-out where they screen the thing at Hoyts Theaters so I can enjoy the real Stones with a crowd of people.

I want to kidnap Alan Klein or whatever that human poopstain's name is and personally torture him until he signs a release so the Stones can control their own best music again.

I thought 40 Licks was a step in the right direction, but there's been nothing since.

oh wait... The new Live CD Live Licks does have tracks from that period. Maybe things are moving...

Other news on this front that may mean nothing:

Somone torrented a DVD of this concert movie (which is already mixed and edited and shit, not much work to be done) on easytree and it disappeared real quick. That's usually a sign that someone's management caught wind and told them to stop. That may mean it's getting geared up. I hope.

This and a real Van Halen live DVD are really the only two unreleased holy grails left for me.

damn, that was long-winded.

FORD
12-18-2004, 10:04 AM
Considering it took them 35 years to get "Rock N Roll Circus" out on DVD, I'd say that the official release of "Ladies & Gentlemen, the Rolling Stones" is probably still a few years away :(

twonabomber
12-18-2004, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by FORD
Considering it took them 35 years to get "Rock N Roll Circus" out on DVD, I'd say that the official release of "Ladies & Gentlemen, the Rolling Stones" is probably still a few years away :(

just wait until ABKCO needs another cash infusion, it'll come out.

twonabomber
12-18-2004, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by FORD
Mick did another solo album? :confused:

i found an unreleased Jagger disc on one of the torrent sites. i haven't listened to it yet...

In 1992 Mick Jagger was thinking about releasing a second solo album. He wanted it rootsier than his first release and heard about a local hot blues band in L.A., the Red Devils.
He recorded some great blues numbers with these guys, but the tape was never officially released. You can find it on boots and this version is the great Mickboy's remaster.

For more infos on this Red devils band lead by Lester Butler, check this site :

You will find all the artwork for this very recording under the « music » thumb and go to bootlegs...

http://come.to/LesterButler