PDA

View Full Version : Gibbs Unveils Impressive Staff

ALinChainz
02-03-2004, 06:05 PM
by Fanball Staff - Fanball.com

Tuesday, February 3, 2004

News

After weeks of speculation and unofficial hires, head coach Joe Gibbs finally unfurled his staff on Tuesday, and the list is quite impressive. Former Cardinals and Raiders head coach Joe Bugel is officially listed as the "Assistant Head Coach - Offense." Bugel, who coached the Redskins' offensive line from 1981-89, will run the offense along with new offensive coordinator Don Breaux, who oversaw the Redskins' running backs from 1981-93. On the other side of the ball, former Bills' head coach Gregg Williams is the new "Assistant Head Coach - Defense." He will be joined by former Bears' defensive coordinator Greg Blache, who will serve as defensive coordinator and defensive line coach. Other Redskins' personnel include long-time offensive coordinator Ernie Zampese (offensive consultant), former Vikings' offensive coordinator Jack Burns (quarterbacks), former Chargers' defensive coordinator Dale LIndsey (linebackers), and former Redskins' running back Earnest Byner (running backs).

Views

Earlier this offseason, the Washington Post reported that Gibbs' staff would be the highest paid unit in the NFL, and it's not surprising once one reads the names. The Redskins now have a lot of brainpower on both sides of the ball, and it will be fun to see the schemes and improvements that Gibbs' staff makes in 2004 and beyond.

ALinChainz
02-03-2004, 06:06 PM
In my opinion, Gibbs should have the same effect on the Skins, similiar to what Parcells did for Dallas.

Sarge
02-03-2004, 06:10 PM
What a lineup..
Maybe they can do what Spurrier couldn't

Viking
02-03-2004, 06:14 PM
I'm a Maryland native and a 'Skins fan going back to the George Allen days. It's been a long drought in DC, but that little twit Snyder finally brought in the grownups to get the job done. Now, if the little fucker will just stay out of Joe's way............

ALinChainz
02-03-2004, 06:16 PM
I have the feeling that he will, Philly has had the run of the roost the last 3 seasons or so, but that just got a whole lot tougher.

Viking
02-03-2004, 08:16 PM
The NFC East has always been a traditionally tough division. I don't consider what Philly did the last three years to be all that impressive. It just reflects how weak the rest of the division is. With the addition of Gibbs and Parcells, I think Phiily's going to have a much harder time being the lead dog. I'm not expecting a division crown next year (although I don't think it'll be another 7-9 season, either) - I think it will probably be a Philly-Dallas dogfight - but in '06, I think we'll see a three-way nailbiter all the way to the end of the regular season. And Goddamn it, that's the way it ought to be. Free agency fuckin' ruined the NFL.

Viking
02-03-2004, 08:19 PM
And whomever came up with salary caps ought to be buggered with a broomstick.

ALinChainz
02-03-2004, 08:25 PM
It is so the big market clubs can't all be the Yankees, buying all the star players. The NFL is by far and away in the best financial shape of all the sports. They have salary cap, but no labor strife, and you have to say that the league is very competitive, give us with shitty teams hope when teams like Carolina can be 1-15 and 2 seasons later be playing for the title. All the franchises make money and you just can't say that about the other sports.

Cathedral
02-03-2004, 08:27 PM
I can't help but laugh at the fact that not many people even cared about his stint as a Nascar big wig.
2 Winston Cup titles is as tough if not tougher than getting to the Super Bowl...Oh, he's done that too, lol, and won.

Cat quickly runs after sparking the "Is Nascar a Sport?" debate

ALinChainz
02-03-2004, 11:34 PM
I read where one of the deciding factors was one of his sons is big on being a coach in the NFL, so you could be looking at a Gibbs at the helm for quite a while in Washington.

Not saying that's their plan, but stranger things have happened.

DLR7884
02-04-2004, 12:27 AM
Very impressive staff....just remember what I said....

The Skins will be good for 10 wins, plus a playoff win next year.

DLR7884
At a minimum.

redblkwht
02-04-2004, 01:59 AM
Originally posted by DLR7884
Very impressive staff....just remember what I said....

The Skins will be good for 10 wins, plus a playoff win next year.

DLR7884
At a minimum. Ill agree on better wins
but your grasping straws too soon..
2005 playoffs, maybe so.

DLR7884
02-04-2004, 02:19 AM
The Tuna did it.

Why can't Gibbs?

DLR7884
2005-Superbowl.

knuckleboner
02-04-2004, 09:55 AM
synder will stay out of it.

he's actually a longtime fan who REALLY wants to see the skins win. he's just been too egotistical to realize that it's his money and not his football knowledge that will do it.

but he's taken his lumps. most, if not all of his big name free agent hires haven't worked out. spurrier was his choice.

he's ready to get rid of the meddlesome owner/can't win label. so he got gibbs. no chance gibbs came back if he wasn't in the "driver's seat" (just for you, cat;)).

i personally guarantee 9 wins. but if DLR7884 wants to go 1 better on the name that tune, then i'm with him.

if gibbs can make mark rypien a superbowl MVP, then ramsey's a lock.

ALinChainz
02-04-2004, 01:45 PM
Just read today where the Texans and Gibbs' old buddy Charley Casserly might talk about the possibility of a trade in the upcoming draft with the Redskins. The Texans are said to be very interested inmoving up and taking safety Sean Taylor.